Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Jusupov posted:

juggernaut was the only good hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

What made me stop playing was that for every dungeon you got where you could blast through huge hordes of enemies and feel awesome it seemed like there were three with low enemy density and no uniques that you just had to slowly stroll around looking for stuff to do. And since rifts are all about how quickly you can kill a bunch of stuff the game is also punishing you for getting a lovely randomly generated dungeon.

i dont know how it is now i havent played since just before the necromancer dlc but back then they were frequently patching to increase mob density in rifts, you only needed to rift shop if you wanted to be at the top of the leaderboards.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
I had almost every hero up through AP2 and Juggernaut was the most mechanically fun by far. Which hero did you guys think was the most fun to play in your preferred game mode(s)?

Member when we always did the broken exploits? As everyone knows Doomsaw used to lurk this thread so he probably found out about a lot of them from us lmao. Wave 133 on X-Defense with broken-rear end Bumblebee Cummerbund

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Phyresis posted:

I had almost every hero up through AP2 and Juggernaut was the most mechanically fun by far. Which hero did you guys think was the most fun to play in your preferred game mode(s)?

My favorites were Punisher and War Machine for ranged (because guns and missiles and rockets and flamethrowers are loving cool, and War Machine was basically unkillable), and Thing and Juggernaut for melee (because hitting people with hot dog carts and running around like a maniac are loving cool).

Diablo's fine for what it is, but I miss the movement of MH, especially before they nerfed it. There are builds in Diablo based on movement skills, but nothing comes close to that insane Silver Surfer build with a dash-based auto attack and huge teleport distance (before it was nerfed). You could bash 100 enemies in the face with a surfboard within a minute while he yelled "I DO THIS OUT OF COMPASSION!"

After they revamped the skill trees, Juggs had a build that let you spam his signature charge with like 90% uptime. It was hella dope.

There was plenty of dumb poo poo about this game, but hosed if it didn't have its charm.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Phyresis posted:

Member when we always did the broken exploits? As everyone knows Doomsaw used to lurk this thread so he probably found out about a lot of them from us lmao. Wave 133 on X-Defense with broken-rear end Bumblebee Cummerbund

black widow was the most fun then ghost rider then iron man or gumbo

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

hawkeye

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

squirrel girl

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

spider man pre rework

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

punchymcpunch posted:

spider man pre rework

Basically this. I didn't much care for Spider-Man as a character (because I'm too used to whiny-bitch Peter Parker) so I played Spider-Gwen instead and enjoyed flipping around wrecking people.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think Squirrel Girl on her release was the most fun I had in the game because of how horribly broken the scaling on those squirrels were. Loading into a fight with Dr.Doom and before I could blink after zoning into the arena the squirrels had already loving destroyed him

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

They also put summons on cooldowns and with really short 30-60 second durations. Amongst other changes that completely gutted pet classes. Magik was especially notable.

lol. pet classes were still good, you just couldn't afk and let them do everything for you anymore

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Shine posted:

My favorites were Punisher (because guns and missiles and rockets and flamethrowers are loving cool)

:same: "Yeah-yeah mr magic dark elf, but how well do you fare against pressurized jets of napalm."

I started with Frank and I ended with Frank.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Punisher was great. Loved driving around midtown in that van, drifting around corners and doing donuts :)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mangeto really came into his own after the entire game got nerfed.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I liked release Dr Doom, where every combination of skills felt extremely good all the time.

ransome
Dec 27, 2012

Cosmic, Baby!
scarlet witch wiccan was the best

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i had the most fun long-term with spiderman and squirrel girl. every time they got reworked they kept the core bits i liked. spidey having a ton of different enhanced costumes helped too. 90s VA, superior, spidergirl, gwen, they were all great. even the base voice was good if you had the right costume for it (that voice was perfect for the MCU outfits but sucked for actually-an-adult spiderman)

doctor doom was a ton of fun for a while with his pet build. juggernaut's elbow drop extravaganza was always fun, just sprinting around and elbowing the world until it died

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I actually really settled into purple lasers Magneto, tentacles Venom and melee Squirrel Girl.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

No, stop, you're making me want to play them all again except janky, slow, awkward, lovely Juggernaut

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Lozareth posted:

No, stop, you're making me want to play them all again except janky, slow, awkward, lovely Juggernaut

human toilet

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Still sad we never got to horsedown bike

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

yeah gently caress we never got horse rider, god drat it gaz

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

that's really the greatest shame of all

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Phyresis posted:

I liked my movement Green Goblin build the best. Not optimal but you had a lot of stuff to do and the character had a lot of personality.

I also liked playing Iron Man because he'd constantly say "Uuugh, my armor is trash!" and I'd be like :hai:

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol. pet classes were still good, you just couldn't afk and let them do everything for you anymore

Who said anything about being useful? Unless I'm actively blowing them the fug up, constantly having to respawn pets who despawn automatically is a chore and a bore.

I can't think of any other diablo-like game that ever thought that was a fun mechanic to implement. There's a reason the Necromancer from D2 is a staple of those games. It's fun as all heck to play. And Magik was as close to that as they ever got, if only for a while.

I mean, I've no doubt that putting all those movement abilities on cooldown had some kind of balancing logic behind it too. But it still took something fun and made it not fun.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

resummoning pets is gripping gameplay and i always look forward to it

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

remember how they made every stat boost an always-on proc because procs took less server overhead lmao

Gibbering Madness
Nov 7, 2009

69 69 69 68

punchymcpunch posted:

remember how they made every stat boost an always-on proc because procs took less server overhead lmao

Read this post to gain +1 fighting

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Who said anything about being useful? Unless I'm actively blowing them the fug up, constantly having to respawn pets who despawn automatically is a chore and a bore.

I can't think of any other diablo-like game that ever thought that was a fun mechanic to implement. There's a reason the Necromancer from D2 is a staple of those games. It's fun as all heck to play. And Magik was as close to that as they ever got, if only for a while.

I mean, I've no doubt that putting all those movement abilities on cooldown had some kind of balancing logic behind it too. But it still took something fun and made it not fun.

For Magik and every other summoner except for 2, your pet summon button would also be your pet ability button so it's not like you were just summoning them. You would be using that ability anyways to do damage.
Ultron and Nick Fury had his minions autosummon when you were in combat. Rocket racoon did have buttons to just summon his turrets so I guess you proved your point. Dr Doom too, but his minions also blew up.

otherwise ???

The movement cooldown was pure :gaz: though

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Gibbering Madness posted:

Read this post to gain +1 fighting
Read 6 posts within 15 seconds to gain an additional +1 energy. If both procs are active, gain 300 critical strike rating.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Tom Gorman posted:

Silver Nudieman was the best thing about Marvel Heroes and that joy can never be duplicated in another game

I miss you nudeman

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Unkillable Thing, thanks to Let's Roll, Suzie!.

godface zillah
Nov 18, 2012

Thing was for sure one of my favorites. He had tantrums, a hamster ball, and orange craggy skin. A character I could relate to.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

They get props for replicating Colossus's roar from the old x-men arcade game, but I always enjoyed the crashdown strikes best. Mainly Ms/Captain Marvel, she was my first one to 60 since she had it all. Punching, laser beams, flying, and a really satisfying crashdown.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Phyresis posted:

It changed from week to week, which was basically the biggest draw of the game.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I'm one of those losers who loved just hearing all the characters interact with each other - usually just a quip, sometimes a throwback to an old story or something.

Best line to this day is probably still Juggy: "I'm on a roll! And not like my step brother Chuck."

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
With fairly few exceptions the voicework in MH was pretty great all around.

"You know, Emma, I can read minds with my clothes on. :smug:"

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

HebrewMagic posted:

I'm one of those losers who loved just hearing all the characters interact with each other - usually just a quip, sometimes a throwback to an old story or something.

Best line to this day is probably still Juggy: "I'm on a roll! And not like my step brother Chuck."

Nothing topped rear end in a top hat Spider-Man asking how Frank's family was doing today. Symbiote voice over was such a raging rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My favorite was Doom's "Another trinket to throw on the pile". The entire genre condensed into one line.