Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Aerox posted:

I still cannot find any sort of guide that explains the logic of picking lanes and where to go on each map.

If I'm playing Murky where should I aim to be? The last two games my team abandoned me alone in middle lane at the start of the game and that didn't seem ideal?

I almost never go mid except very specific situations. Top or mid is ideal for Murky. Mid is always a deathball and not worth the time, although you can probably get your slime stacks up pretty quick in mid if you want but laning is just much more important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Erdricks posted:

Could cursed strikes focused, team fight xul be a viable thing?

Yeah the attack speed and life steal vs a heavy warrior/bruiser team does a lot of work. Pretty rare to face against that team comp though.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Charles Bukowski posted:

Im a newbie Murky, but I generally lane alone. I want to kill all the minions with my pufferfish to get bribe stacks to get some mercs quickly before Im able to just slime them all down in the later game.

How? With 2-3 people in lane against me I can't soften up the wave to actually get puffer to kill them, and if I throw it first the minions kill most.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Find a quieter lane. I play QM and most people play the middle brawl so I usually grab the lonely bottom. If theres 2 or 3 enemies there i go where there arent. Maybe ask to switch with someone. I throw puffer in a fresh stack of minions, then slime and AA a few to whittle em done for when puffer explodes. Allied minions help.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Charles Bukowski posted:

Find a quieter lane. I play QM and most people play the middle brawl so I usually grab the lonely bottom. If theres 2 or 3 enemies there i go where there arent. Maybe ask to switch with someone. I throw puffer in a fresh stack of minions, then slime and AA a few to whittle em done for when puffer explodes. Allied minions help.

Hm. Tracer and Sonia just obliterated my fish before it could ever explode and then dove me if I got within slime range.

I must be missing something. Every game I've won with Murky has been with a lane partner; every time I've been forced to solo against 2-3 other people it's usually a disaster.

Edit: Also, is quick play back to not caring about team comp at all? I remember in the Alpha it was a mess and whoever had a healer won, and they fixed it, but I've now just had my second game where our team doesn't have a warrior.

Aerox fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 13, 2018

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Aerox posted:

Hm. Tracer and Sonia just obliterated my fish before it could ever explode and then dove me if I got within slime range.

I must be missing something. Every game I've won with Murky has been with a lane partner; every time I've been forced to solo against 2-3 other people it's usually a disaster.

Edit: Also, is quick play back to not caring about team comp at all? I remember in the Alpha it was a mess and whoever had a healer won, and they fixed it, but I've now just had my second game where our team doesn't have a warrior.

If you're playing 1v3 your other lanes should be crushing it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
^^^I mean while this is true, it does mean your own lane is probably gonna get crushed as pre 16 there's no way Murky can do much more than mildly annoy that many heroes at once, and being forced out of lane means Murky probably isn't contributing much. I guess you could just abandon your lane entirely at that point and play race-to-the-core chicken.

Charles Bukowski posted:

If you grab Octo at 10 and its boost at 20, is it basically a 1 hit kill?

No it does like 900 damage if you get And A Shark Too, so it can finish off wounded people but you still need to get them into that range either yourself or with some help.

Aerox posted:

Murky shouldn't be trying to solo lane against 2-3 other people, I'm pretty sure nobody in the game should be doing that let alone a hero with less than 800 hitpoints at level 1. When I murk if two people move into my lane I might fall back to towers for a bit if they're doing bad at pressuring me because it means someone on their team is facing a 2v1 of their own but I would absolutely not solo lane Murky against a Tracer/Sonya duo and would instantly request to switch with someone because no poo poo you won't get much done there.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tracer is literally the best squishy killer in the game, so yeah, Murky is going to get crushed in that matchup.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Murky's kill potential with Fish Oil and a Puffer->Shark is high, but for non tanks. Sneak your way into the backline or combo it with some other stuns on your team.

^^^ If you go up against a Tracer, you just have to survive until 20. Fish Tank is almost required. But when you slap that Tracer with a Shark and she dies 1v1 to Murky, you will feel amazing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:devil:

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Murky shouldn't be trying to solo lane against 2-3 other people, I'm pretty sure nobody in the game should be doing that let alone a hero with less than 800 hitpoints at level 1.

That goes to my original question about lane strategy that I can't seem to find an answer to. Almost every game I've played the two duos just go lane together and refuse to leave each other and I get stuck with a solo lane of whatever's left, and it's never a 1v1.

It's sounding like Murky just shouldn't be played in QP?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Aerox posted:

I still cannot find any sort of guide that explains the logic of picking lanes and where to go on each map.

If I'm playing Murky where should I aim to be? The last two games my team abandoned me alone in middle lane at the start of the game and that didn't seem ideal?

Aerox posted:

That goes to my original question about lane strategy that I can't seem to find an answer to. Almost every game I've played the two duos just go lane together and refuse to leave each other and I get stuck with a solo lane of whatever's left, and it's never a 1v1.

Laning is a huge topic. By convention, the top lane is usually the solo lane and the four man is variously in the bot and mid lane. How much each lane matters varies widely from map to map. For example, on Dragon Shire it's good to destroy top fort to make it harder for the other team to contest the top shrine and make the solo laner much more vulnerable to being ganked but it's usually stupid to push top keep (especially with the dragon knight) because you have to go across the bridge of death. Most dragon shire games end with a bot push because there are three merc camps in bot lane and the top keep can shoot mid lane catas as they pass.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
All heroes have strengths and weaknesses. When you click Murky, you're accepting that the other team could have LiMing, Butcher, or Tracer, but at the same time, the people clicking those heroes are accepting that you could be Anub'arak or LiLi.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Aerox posted:

I just went like 4-0 with Murky in QP and QP is exclusively what I play anyway. It just takes practice to get used to how Murky's lane stuff works.

edit: In fact the game I just won, I was top hero damage, siege damage and XP, because Haunted Mines is nonsense

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 13, 2018

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Aerox posted:

Honestly it seems like you need to communicate with your team. I had a match once where I was Murky in one lane vs loving Valla/Ming/Zera in my lane. I asked for my team to either rotate down and take that lane so I could go do fishy things, or capitalize on the fact that they're choking me out of the lane. They did the latter, so I stayed where I was, soaked what I could, and helped where I could.

Was it a good game? gently caress no, but we won, because I was like "they're expending disproportionate effort on me as Murky, loving capitalize on it" and they listened.

And if they don't listen? :shrug: It's a game, move on with life, learn what you can from it and queue up again.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Aerox posted:

Yeah I run into this problem in qm as Genji, I always end up being the solo laner and can't rotate at all because I'm defending against 2+ people. I've just started leaving the lane, if people won't rotate because they've "picked" their lane then that's their problem.

So just leave and go to a lane that has fewer enemies, and cross your fingers your teammates will rotate.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I have no idea how this game's matchmaking works but I've noticed that my wins and losses are all very streaky. It's never broken up, it's always three or four wins then three or four losses right in a row.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Kai Tave posted:

I have no idea how this game's matchmaking works but I've noticed that my wins and losses are all very streaky. It's never broken up, it's always three or four wins then three or four losses right in a row.

Are you quitting at the same time in the streaks (after wins or losses?) Or is it random? Try to see if there is a pattern, such as time of day, number of games, session length, to rule out you simply going hot or cold.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ToastyPotato posted:

Are you quitting at the same time in the streaks (after wins or losses?) Or is it random? Try to see if there is a pattern, such as time of day, number of games, session length, to rule out you simply going hot or cold.

Oh I mean I don't suspect there's some nefarious hidden MMR manipulation going on or anything, it's just something I noticed which is weird. My winrates are stable and there's nothing too strange about the length of the streaks barring I want to say one eight game losing streak which was almost certainly a result of me continuing to play while tilted instead of just taking a break like a sensible person.

e; although there was the game the other day where it matched me up against a level 1000+ Tracer and I would very much like to not have that happen ever again.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Even in bad matchups for murky, you can win if you just stall to endgame to up the annoyance factor to maximum.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

moush posted:

Even in bad matchups for murky, you can win if you just stall to endgame to up the annoyance factor to maximum.

The best murky play is psychological. It doesn't matter what build you go if you can get the enemy team to tilt. Learn to master egg placement.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The absolute best feeling when you're playing Murky is going from the early game where bursty assassins can dunk on you with impunity to that switchover moment when suddenly you start being able to bully them back. I had a Sky Temple game where the teams were very assassin heavy and the enemy team had a Chromie who was dunking on us for a while, but then when the later talents came online I chased her all the way from boss to her keep wall and killed her while she threw everything she had at me, time traps, slowing sands, but nope, Murky gonna getcha.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Aerox posted:

It's not really set in stone, people rotate a lot between lanes usually.
The most common strategy is usually a 4/1 split, with four people staying safe as a group and 1 dedicated solo laner. All of them rotate as is necessary to grab XP.

If you are getting stuck in a lane against two or three opponents, just grab the XP and stay safe. Don't die, even as Murky, and just chill. Even if the enemy players are super aggressive, you can poke away at the minions with slime and bubble while staying relatively safe. Ping for help if the fort or the towers are in danger. Even if you lose a fort, the enemy team would have to overextend if they tried to push too far past the half way point of the lane, which sets the rest of your team up for ganks. If the enemy team is pressuring you with multiple players, your team should be winning in other places on the map and gradually grind out a more significant advantage than whatever the enemies might gain by devoting two team members to harass a Murky.

Murky has pretty decent wave clear and can easily do double duty in two lanes on some of the smaller maps, like Spider Queen, so don't devote yourself too much to a single lane if you can see a lot of XP getting lost in another place.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It utterly baffles me I can't just spend $5 or something to get the ONE Blaze skin I want. :psyduck:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Cuntellectual posted:

It utterly baffles me I can't just spend $5 or something to get the ONE Blaze skin I want. :psyduck:

Greed is the bane of the f2p model. Most f2p games rely on whales for some ungodly reason, rather than making skins skins/mounts/etc. $2 or so. Make it just cheap enough that people don't think about just pulling the trigger. Do that and they'll spend money like it's going out of style.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I will never play Murky, he’s the complete antithesis of everything I want in a moba character. That said, I appreciate that this thread appears to be the central hub for all murky related discussion on the internet.

Also I played a team league game last night as a duo and the trio wanted to go Murky/Cassia/Solo Healer Abathur. We went along with their plan even though I was really skeptical.

At one point Murky killed a Genji in what was a 1v3 for the Murky and then immediately respawned giving us an enormous press advantage on the map and basically allowing us to close the door on the win. I cheered out loud when he killed that guy 1v3. Those must be the moments y’all are in for and I appreciate that even if Murky isn’t for me.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kai Tave posted:

Okay, just did a Towers of Doom and aside from the Xul player throwing a hissy fit and blocking several of us for "faggotry" when we told him to maybe show up to contest objectives instead of trying to solo lane and then dying when attempting to take a sapper camp it worked pretty well. The enemy team had several very squishy heroes (Tracer and Sylvanas, with only a Kharazim support) so I went for Envenomed Spines and Infest to be the biggest lane bully I could and it definitely added to the pressure. I went Nydus but didn't have a ton of chances to do crazy split push shenanigans so maybe I should have gone maw? We won anyway. Oh, and they had a Hammer too which was great fun. "Yeah just stay right there, don't mind the bile drops."

Since Xul decided he was on permanent split push duty, then yeah, I would've went Maw. After all, if Hammer was already parking herself for easy drops, why not seal the deal with ult. Also, Towers isn't large enough to really make the "be anywhere on the map" potential of Nydus shine whereas it has plenty of spots to disrupt or outright block up objectives with Maw.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Libertine posted:

Those must be the moments y’all are in for and I appreciate that even if Murky isn’t for me.

I killed like 5 people in cold Murky blood last night in one of my games, one of them being a Genji who thought he could safetly 1v1 me because he had deflect. He could not. I blew his bitch rear end UP

At one point I was running to a camp and noticed a little choo choo train come popping out of a bush next to me. I blew that Abathur UP.

I think that's why it's so satisfying when you kill someone as Murky. It's less about the smallest weakest fish boy landing a killing blow on other players, so much as it's just awesome when you slime someone who is about to die and they look and sound like they just explode. It rules. Plus it makes people salty to be killed by Murky

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Macaluso posted:

I think that's why it's so satisfying when you kill someone as Murky. It's less about the smallest weakest fish boy landing a killing blow on other players, so much as it's just awesome when you slime someone who is about to die and they look and sound like they just explode. It rules. Plus it makes people salty to be killed by Murky

Yeah, it's the constant underestimation of your capacities. I had this Varian that tried to kill me for like half the horizontal distance of Dragon Shire and only started bailing out when he was at like... 30% HP.

By then it was far too late. :getin:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Kith posted:

hello friend i have played many blaze

Level 1: Neural Stimpack - The strength of having cooldown reduction and additional mana sustain on Blaze cannot be emphasized enough. I prefer to pop Neural after using Jet Propulsion to make sure I can use it as soon as possible again - either to chase someone down or to get out of a bad situation. New Habits would be my go-to if the Regeneration Globes permanently reduced Pyromania's cooldown, but they only reduce it on application, so uh... gently caress that!

Level 4: Adhesive Petroleum - This talent lies to you. The slow is not applied when an Oil Spill is ignited, it's applied when the enemy is damaged by a burning Oil Spill. That said, Blaze's design relies very heavily on Oil Spill: he relies on its standard form to be the crowd control he needs to keep people in range of Pyromania, and he relies on its ignited form for damage output and personal sustain. Adhesive Petroleum makes it so you don't have to choose between the two states, and as such is the strongest talent at this tier by far.

Level 7: Grill and Kill - The money-maker. The most important part of this quest reward is that Oil Spills burn for longer, meaning more sustain for you and more crowd control mileage from Adhesive Petroleum. Try to complete it as quickly as you can.

Level 10: Bunker Drop - Normally I'd be all "take the heroic that suits the situation", but both of Blaze's Heroics are pretty weak because he's rocking Pyromania as a Trait and Bunker is the least bad of the two choices. Having what amounts to an Ice Block on hand is very useful, but make sure to only use it to dodge a particularly damaging ability or to cleanse yourself of an effect. You earn bonus points if you tell your team that they should never get into the Bunker for any reason and you're only ever going to drop it as a dodge tool to prevent handing the enemy team a multi-kill. If you take Combustion, you deserve everything that you get.

Level 13: Fuel Leak - A huge buff to your initiation tool, your sustain, and your damage output. Remember that if you nail someone with Jet Propulsion you'll make an Oil Spill directly underneath whoever you hit, so you can immediately hit them with Flame Stream for slows, damage, and healing. Also grants you the ability to make a giant burning dick out of Oil Spills, arguably its most important feature.

Level 16: Heat Treatment - Heat Treatment's healing allows you to comfortably exist in the middle of the enemy team in ways that Sonya could only dream of. Thermal Protection is a distant second choice because cooldown reduction on your initiation/mobility tool is extremely useful, but getting multi-target mileage out of the talent is difficult because your charges can be body-blocked. If you feel that Thermal Protection will get you more mileage, then by all means take it, but Heat Treatment is more reliable.

Level 20: Your Choice - Both Fortified Bunker and Burn Notice have their uses. Fortified Bunker's 50 armor for 3 seconds is amazing, and the Oil Spills you can cast while you're inside it are useful because hey, free Oil Spills. However, the Oil Spills are only useful for when the bunker is alive to cast them, and that's unlikely to last very long because you're supposed to be using the Bunker to dodge particularly damaging effects. On the other hand, Burn Notice makes your Basic Attacks worth using for the sake of stacking slows on the enemy, which is handy no matter how you look at it. Special shout-out to Flash Fire for making Combustion an actual usable ability, but that's supposed to be something that happened 10 levels ago.

Tried this build out in QM and quite liked it. You have some crazy sustain after 16 with the oil drop after charging, two regular oil uses and the healing of pyromaniac. Ended with top damage in my team as well. I had a hard time knowing when and how to use the bunker though.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
With Blaze's level 20 bunker upgrade it's worth remembering that the mechanics of the armor system mean it's initially 2 seconds of 33% extra effective hp but level 20 is 3 seconds of 100% extra effective hp, which is incredibly strong.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

So anyone wanna guess what this Japanese found footage looking thing on the launcher is? Clicking it just refreshes the launcher

EDIT: oh people on twitter are saying it's probably just a teaser for the new mech skins

AlmightyBob fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 13, 2018

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

AlmightyBob posted:

So anyone wanna guess what this Japanese found footage looking thing on the launcher is? Clicking it just refreshes the launcher

EDIT: oh people on twitter are saying it's probably just a teaser for the new mech skins

yes those are mecha abathur's locusts perched on the buildings

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Thought I'd do some Zag in qm, big mistake. Got Zag, Gaz, Murky, Naz, and Tyrael vs Chromie, Kaelthuzad, Blaze, Arthas, and Syl. On Haunted mines so they just smashed us as Tyrael sorta threw.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Thought I'd do some Zag in qm, big mistake. Got Zag, Gaz, Murky, Naz, and Tyrael vs Chromie, Kaelthuzad, Blaze, Arthas, and Syl. On Haunted mines so they just smashed us as Tyrael sorta threw.

At least Tyrael knew what he was doing.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

DisgracelandUSA posted:

At least Tyrael knew what he was doing.

Yeah I couldn't fault him lol

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Star posted:

Tried this build out in QM and quite liked it. You have some crazy sustain after 16 with the oil drop after charging, two regular oil uses and the healing of pyromaniac. Ended with top damage in my team as well. I had a hard time knowing when and how to use the bunker though.

Yeah, the Bunker is tricky to use right. Typically a good rule of thumb is to use it whenever you feel like you need to dodge something dangerous or when you need extra durability, especially if you have Fortified Bunker.

Somewhat related, just won a game that lasted 32 and a half minutes:

Kith fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 14, 2018

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Kith posted:

Somewhat related, just won a game that lasted 32 and a half minutes:

You got hardcore carried by that Kael'thas. 180k damage and only dying twice in an Abathur comp with no healer :captainpop:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

HelixFox posted:

You got hardcore carried by that Kael'thas. 180k damage and only dying twice in an Abathur comp with no healer :captainpop:

Carried by Abathur and Valeera, too. The stats don't reflect just how useful Valeera was, but she had 288 seconds of Silence Time. I don't understand how.

The stats definitely reflect how useful Abathur was, though, 'cause holy poo poo. 42k exp soaked and he was actually the one who ultimately killed the core while we kept the enemy team busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I would actually rather wait 30 minutes per queue than have the matchmaker decide it's okay to pit a team with no DPS characters against a team with two DPS and four total characters with built-in self sustain, simply because various players are queued into a group which apparently causes the matchmaker to throw its hands up and be like "whatever."