Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Pop Team Epic

Squirrel Nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (November 14-15, 1930)

Peanuts (January 14-15, 1971)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Cobra Carson: Two-Fisted Sheepherder

Out Our Way (February 18-19, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 4-5, 1931)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (February 18-19, 1931)

What's going on here? Some weird '30's medical thing?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Ballard Street

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tiggum posted:

Slylock Fox

drat, that's a fine elephant.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

catlord posted:

What's going on here? Some weird '30's medical thing?

I think she’s just washing his face for him since he can’t do it himself

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CzarChasm posted:

So does that mean we can look forward to the laugh track backed adventures of "Young Skip Griffin" in a few years?

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Correct Phoebe:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set in educated in specific fields.

Working Daze is also going to need you to go ahead and come in Sunday, too.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix had the best of intentions.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I bet Reddick is a goon with a humiliation fetish who reads this thread in earnest.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I don't think goons are nearly funny or creative enough to come up with a goddamn Frosty the Snowman fetish.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Alterian posted:

For good underwear, $100 isn't even that outrageous.
https://www.soma.com/store/category/lingerie/cat11569317/

That is so hosed up, margins on those gotta be insane.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah, Intelligent Life is going to some deeply disturbing new places.

In other news, have some more Bad Machinery!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bloom County

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 15, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 15, 1996)

Garfield Classic (June 15, 1986)

I do like it when the strips I post have a little bit of synchronicity to them.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

anyone else read tommy's dialog as Wil Ferrel's impression of Harry Carey?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Hobnob posted:

Since we don't see many strips from the UK here, I'm going to be posting a couple of old strips that I liked growing up. First up is The Perishers:

These are from the 1988 bumper collection, so were probably first published 1986-87 or so. By this time the strip had been going on since 1959 and was in a pretty comfortable rut. You will certainly see repeated themes and situations if you stick with strip long enough, so beware. Likewise, while I remember enjoying the strip growing up, I haven't seen anything of it for nearly 30 years and I have no idea if it stands up today. Come with me (on my stupid loving journey) and we'll find if it really was any good. I'll try to post strips twice a week.

These would be from 22nd-25th September 1986, I believe; you can work it out from the little letter-and-number code on each strip.

I really liked The Perishers going up and I recently went back to complete my collection of the books. A lot of it hasn't aged well, in particular the frequently rehashed story lines and the occasional "might have been an excusable product of its time twenty years earlier" racism, but some parts remained strong - particularly any time it really leans into the crippling poverty Wellington lives in, or the almost Walt Kelly style social mockery it does with the animal characters.

I do find this later stuff harder to like, though, mostly because of the art. You can tell Dodd cares - and he does have a pretty good line in bizarre expressions - but the skill and detail of Dennis Collins' work was frequently incredible by the standards of daily strips and the bar he set was always going to be tough for anyone else to match.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Are they unable to take watching his mental decline and so burying him alive at the spot that caused his brain damage?

Well, that's what I hope anyway. I know I will be disappointed.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Ham Shears

The Creeps

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vargo posted:

NEW AVATAR
Hey! I'm glad you liked it!

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

anyone else read tommy's dialog as Wil Ferrel's impression of Harry Carey?
From now on, yes.

Regarding Bloom County, whenever I see anything about Princess Di in the US, I always think back to how she visited a JC Penny at a local mall here way back in the 80s. It seems so surreal.

It's almost as surreal as the X-Men wedding reception or whatever it was they had at the same mall. I can't find pictures of that but that was weird as gently caress. Cyclops and Jean were both dressed in wedding gear. Wolverine was inexplicably in his costume with his claws permanently out, but he was smiling and laughing the whole time. I want to say he did a toast to the couple, but I don't remember many more details. Bizarre.

I saw my boss from Blockbuster there. He was the only one who dressing in a costume. He was Havok. This is the most 90s story I have.

F Minus

I guess this is an anti-death penalty cartoon?

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Mmmm. Toasted muffins.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

The plan these two had sounds worse and worse. They weren't going to get any sort of quality getting-to-know-you time with their grandson this way. What was the point of this? If it was just to physically see him and make sure he was safe, there was no reason to engage the Morgans.

Well I guess I can't blame people for not acting rationally when it comes to children though.

Apartment 3-G

:lol:

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 13, 2018

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (November 16, 1930)

Peanuts (January 16, 1971)

Funky Winkerbean

bean_shadow posted:

Are they unable to take watching his mental decline and so burying him alive at the spot that caused his brain damage?

Well, that's what I hope anyway. I know I will be disappointed.

Might as well not put off the inevitable, then...

Crankshaft

Cobra Carson: Two-Fisted Sheepherder

Out Our Way (February 20-21, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 6, 1931)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2005 Spiderman

The Amazing Blood

Magnificatz

e:
"It's just a joke, you're too sensiti-" :fuckoff:

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 13, 2018

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Haifisch posted:

The Amazing Blood

next week:

"Okay, it looks like Dr. Banner has stabilized -- but now Spider-Man desperately needs a blood transfusion!"

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

This is just Al Bundy in his retirement years, isn't it?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (August 4-5, 1931)

You know, I never used to have trypophobia, but...

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Again supposed to be evidence of Ann Eiffel's inherent EEEEEVIL, but we still haven't seen any more evil than your average commission-based or MLM salesperson. Luann's just a dumbass because I still don't know how she doesn't know who this person is.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Selachian posted:

"Okay, it looks like Dr. Banner has stabilized -- but now Spider-Man desperately needs a blood transfusion!"
I feel like I remember a storyline where Spider-Man was desperate to avoid becoming a blood donor because his blood is radioactive. Was that in Ruins?

Anyway if anybody shouldn't have reason to care it's Bruce Banner.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Julet Esqu posted:

Again supposed to be evidence of Ann Eiffel's inherent EEEEEVIL, but we still haven't seen any more evil than your average commission-based or MLM salesperson. Luann's just a dumbass because I still don't know how she doesn't know who this person is.

They're college students. They are lucky if they have enough between them for a large pizza.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

"It is morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money."

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

My Lovely Horse posted:

I feel like I remember a storyline where Spider-Man was desperate to avoid becoming a blood donor because his blood is radioactive. Was that in Ruins?

Anyway if anybody shouldn't have reason to care it's Bruce Banner.

Actually way back in the 60s he gave Aunt May a blood transfusion, only for a later storyline establish that the radioactivity was killing her, forcing Peter to go to Doctor Connors to figure out a cure and then fighting the criminals who stole the necessary serum (culminating in If This Be My Destiny, AKA The One Where Spidey Lifts A Bunch Of Heavy poo poo).

Also Spider-Man Reign established that his, erm...other fluids were radioactive. See: My redtext.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Actually way back in the 60s he gave Aunt May a blood transfusion, only for a later storyline establish that the radioactivity was killing her, forcing Peter to go to Doctor Connors to figure out a cure and then fighting the criminals who stole the necessary serum (culminating in If This Be My Destiny, AKA The One Where Spidey Lifts A Bunch Of Heavy poo poo).

Also Spider-Man Reign established that his, erm...other fluids were radioactive. See: My redtext.

I thought Reign was non-canon, akin to a What If? Or is it actually a valid Marvel verse, with its own number and everything?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

NRVNQSR posted:

These would be from 22nd-25th September 1986, I believe; you can work it out from the little letter-and-number code on each strip.

I really liked The Perishers going up and I recently went back to complete my collection of the books. A lot of it hasn't aged well, in particular the frequently rehashed story lines and the occasional "might have been an excusable product of its time twenty years earlier" racism, but some parts remained strong - particularly any time it really leans into the crippling poverty Wellington lives in, or the almost Walt Kelly style social mockery it does with the animal characters.

I do find this later stuff harder to like, though, mostly because of the art. You can tell Dodd cares - and he does have a pretty good line in bizarre expressions - but the skill and detail of Dennis Collins' work was frequently incredible by the standards of daily strips and the bar he set was always going to be tough for anyone else to match.

Ah thanks. I'd worked out the month - October 25th is always notable in the strip, of course, and I could see the code resetting on New Year's Day - but I wasn't sure which year the "U" strips corresponded to.

I'd wondered about the casual racism, particularly with characters like B.H. around, but didn't see anything too awful in a quick skim of the collections I have. I guess we'll see.

I don't have strong memories of pre-83 Perishers (though I must have read them at the time) so I don't miss Collins artwork, though one of the things I always really liked about the stip was the artwork of the landscapes. The reason I started here was because I definitely remember having this collection at the time, though I just received another collection I ordered (1984-85 strips, I believe) and I remember those as well. And I've ordered some older collections too, so I may end up skipping backwards in time a bit when they get here.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mikl posted:

I thought Reign was non-canon, akin to a What If? Or is it actually a valid Marvel verse, with its own number and everything?

It's a valid alternate universe. For that matter, so are all of the What If? stories (except for I think some of the comedic ones). Obviously 616 Peter doesn't have the same problem (although as I mentioned, his radioactive blood was A Thing).

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
World's Saddest Bear, the Bear That's Sad All the Time

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Johnny Walker posted:

F Minus

I guess this is an anti-death penalty cartoon?

Maybe it's based on a true story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Hobnob posted:

I'd wondered about the casual racism, particularly with characters like B.H. around, but didn't see anything too awful in a quick skim of the collections I have. I guess we'll see.

It's usually just B.H., and his portrayal is generally no worse than Apu in the Simpsons - or you could say it's just as bad as Apu's, depending on your opinion of that.