Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Yeah, the milk is greenish. I just call it Blue Milk because it's a Star Wars thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I've been seeing an lot of complaints saying burning the temple was pointless cause Rey has the books. But, she doesn't? Yoda says she holds everything needed, but not that she has the actual texts.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

bushisms.txt posted:

I've been seeing an lot of complaints saying burning the temple was pointless cause Rey has the books. But, she doesn't? Yoda says she holds everything needed, but not that she has the actual texts.

lol

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

bushisms.txt posted:

I believe Yoda says "there's nothing in there that she does not already possess" or something.

Too bad we can't see the moment when Luke gets to force heaven and Yoda is all like "gotcha I did!" and Luke is like "OH YOU :iamafag: "

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

bushisms.txt posted:

The ones in the drawer on the Millennium Falcon are Chewbacca's hand crafted forgeries.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Oh guess I didn't see them, must of blinked.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yoda must be a hoot to hang out with. Get a space beer or two in him and he just giggles all night and plays force pranks on people

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Dr.Radical posted:

Yoda must be a hoot to hang out with. Get a space beer or two in him and he just giggles all night and plays force pranks on people

Learn to throw your voice, fool your friends, fun at parties!

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Yoda being an absolute dick after the fall of the Jedi is some of the best character work in the entire franchise. "Oh poo poo, everything I knew has been destroyed. It was wrecked from the inside by a dude I was super suspicious of, and the walking equivalent of a force WMD that we were hesitant to train. The temple that we thought gave us authority and protection is so much ash. gently caress it, I'mma retire to the rear end-end of the universe and do some serious thinking about what got us here. Spoiler alert: it was arrogance."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dr.Radical posted:

I recall the milk being a greenish color :shrug:

Maybe you're from one of those cultures that doesn't have a word for "blue".

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How did Luke give Leia the pair of fuzzy dice if he was a force projection?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

whatever7 posted:

How did Luke give Leia the pair of fuzzy dice if he was a force projection?

Leia was also a force projection.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

TildeATH posted:

Leia was also a force projection.

Everything we saw on screen was a projection.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have a better explanation: the personal who wrote the fluffy dice scene was not the same force ghost writer who wrote the Luke dying scene.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Leia visibly reacts when she realizes it's a projection, I can't remember if she touches the dice first or if they embrace but she has a moment where she gets it

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya, on first watch it's as if she's reacting to the fuzzy dice.

She's actually reacting to the smell because a force projection is really just a very big Jedi fart.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Say... if astral projection is a thing in the new Star Wars what about possession ? Can anyone more familiar with the EU tell me if "Transfer essence" was a good or retarded idea? It's basically demonic sith possession, right? http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Transfer_essence

If this turns out to be what's really going on inside Kylo, that would be cool... but also awful, in that it's a soap opera plot.

Zoran posted:

Everything we saw on screen was a projection.

:golfclap:

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 14, 2018

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

The way porgs are constantly abused makes me wonder if they knew ahead of time people would hate them

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The way porgs are constantly abused makes me wonder if they knew ahead of time people would hate them

People love them though.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I just saw this and.....I loved it? I really don’t understand the hate. Yea it’s a bit overlong, bloated, and has a few plot holes but so does every Star Wars movie. I don’t understand all the 0 and 1 star reviews people give it.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I just saw this and.....I loved it? I really don’t understand the hate. Yea it’s a bit overlong, bloated, and has a few plot holes but so does every Star Wars movie. I don’t understand all the 0 and 1 star reviews people give it.

Mostly I think TLJ attempts to explore interesting themes, but it doesn’t really work in its position as the eighth installment of this series. The theme of moving on from the past and letting the next generation build something new is fatally undermined by the fact that this movie marches us relentlessly back to the ANH/ESB status quo and more or less enshrines the idea that Star Wars can only be about a tiny band of plucky rebels against an evil galactic empire, forever.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Zoran posted:

Mostly I think TLJ attempts to explore interesting themes, but it doesn’t really work in its position as the eighth installment of this series. The theme of moving on from the past and letting the next generation build something new is fatally undermined by the fact that this movie marches us relentlessly back to the ANH/ESB status quo and more or less enshrines the idea that Star Wars can only be about a tiny band of plucky rebels against an evil galactic empire, forever.

This criticism I can understand. I was really disappointed when Luke at the end changed his mind and said "Nah actually we need more Jedi". I was really, really hoping he would keep up the very correct line of thinking that the Jedi of old were pompous, failed in their duty, and are the source of the Sith. The only way to permanently end the sith, is to end the jedi, and it is a shame the movie didn't stay the course. :(

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Steve2911 posted:

People love them though.

I only know one guy who likes them and he's a weirdo.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I only know one guy who likes them and he's a weirdo.

The porgs are one of the few beats that really hit. They were great. Levity without imposition. The Chewbacca roasting scene was hilarious.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Describing it as a "few" plot holes is incredibly generous.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
The roasted porg that Chewbacca was trying to eat looked really delicious. Is this the first time in the movies we see food that isn’t all alien looking or rations?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Papercut posted:

Describing it as a "few" plot holes is incredibly generous.

I think he's talking about actual plot holes, not just things that confused people because they were distracted by mentally writing their devastating takedowns of the movie before it was over.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

This criticism I can understand. I was really disappointed when Luke at the end changed his mind and said "Nah actually we need more Jedi". I was really, really hoping he would keep up the very correct line of thinking that the Jedi of old were pompous, failed in their duty, and are the source of the Sith. The only way to permanently end the sith, is to end the jedi, and it is a shame the movie didn't stay the course. :(

I feel TLJ's defining moment is the scene in the throne room, where for one instant there seemed to be so many possibilities, where the story could go in so many directions, Rey could have joined the First Order, Ren could have abandoned the Dark Side, both of them could have formed their own alliance, nobody could predict where it was going...

And then the resolution moved everyone right back to where they started. Join us in 2038, when Broom Kid will play out this exact story again!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That's Star Wars bruv

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

CelticPredator posted:

That's Star Wars bruv

Is it really? I know the old Legends EU sure wanted to repeat the movies but the actual movies that are what really makes "Star Wars" were only that story told once (the OT) and weren't trying to "recapture the Star Wars magic" because they're the ones that invented it. The prequels despite being kinda crap actually told a different story altogether, albeit not told well.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s the same poo poo no matter once. The force is cyclical. It’ll always be about good vs Evil. There will always be Evil fractions that are stood up by plucky well meaning heroes.

That’s what Star Wars will always be.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

TLj is more Chronicles of riddick than anh/esb. Vader was always a puppet on a string, Kylo is the leader and him calling for everyone to fire on Luke is demonstrably unlike any other "leader" they've had in the movies. Luke was following what obi wan told him to do, to seek out yoda, Rey realizes in the throne room she has to rely on herself, where before she hoped even kylo would remove the mantle of hero from her shoulders so she could go home. So yes, we have a Jedi and a bad guy, but neither represents the past incarnations, instead being overt rejections of them.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The (only) result of this new film is that the Jedi are now explicitly reformist counter-revolutionaries.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Roasted Porg sautéed in a blue milk reduction.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

It’s the same poo poo no matter once. The force is cyclical. It’ll always be about good vs Evil. There will always be Evil fractions that are stood up by plucky well meaning heroes.

That’s what Star Wars will always be.

That's a bIzarrely conservative attitude that also misses the mark. The movies aren't cyclical because of "the force". It's because the "good vs evil" conflict is false, and the heroes are fighting only to set up the condition for their own failure. They are evil. The Republic and the Empire are one and the same.

If the heroes were fighting for good, Finn and Rose would have abandoned the Resistance so that they could free the child slaves. Instead the slaves get a decoder ring.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The end of IX is Luke, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Anakin and Leia, as force ghosts, starting a slow clap after Rey kills RoboSnoke inside of Death Star III, which is orbiting Coruscant.

Kylo Ren was killed off early in the second act. A construction crane fell on him.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That's a bIzarrely conservative attitude that also misses the mark. The movies aren't cyclical because of "the force". It's because the "good vs evil" conflict is false, and the heroes are fighting only to set up the condition for their own failure. They are evil. The Republic and the Empire are one and the same.

If the heroes were fighting for good, Finn and Rose would have abandoned the Resistance so that they could free the child slaves. Instead the slaves get a decoder ring.

There's actually zero difference between blowing up inhabited planets & not doing that. You imbecile. You loving moron.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Angry Salami posted:

There's actually zero difference between blowing up inhabited planets & not doing that. You imbecile. You loving moron.

Inhabited planets are blown up by the heroes in three out of the ten films.

Inhabited planets are only blown up by the villains in two out of ten films.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Angry Salami posted:

There's actually zero difference between blowing up inhabited planets & not doing that.

I was talking with someone about how it's impossible to take the destruction of Alderaan as evil. There are things like how it's a nonsensical portrayal of genocide, how blowing up a planet is bullshit that Marvin the Martian tried, the fact that from what we see of Alderaanians they had it coming, and so on.

They asked me what I thought, about, no joke, 9/11. They actually equated the insipid destruction of a fictional planet with a real tragedy where people died. I think this explains a lot why people are to resistant to the fact that the usual interpretation of good and evil in Star Wars is false: they totally buy the universe of these movies, to the point that Alderaan blowing up was to them a personal 9/11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Whereas Anakin in TPM, the various droids, and the kids with their special Resistance decoder rings and playsets are truly haunting and realistic depictions of modern-day slavery?

• Locked thread