Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

CitizenKain posted:

Its not even a bonus weekend and my god the stupids are out. Trying to get the last 45k xp for the Duke, and its game after game of people throwing it.

Yep. My first match of the evening was a loss from having a loving idiot DD ignore the caps to go chase BBs. He was cornered and killed by the very first one he found, without scoring a single torpedo hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Is the last reward for the Second campaign Scharnhorst and a camo or just a Scharnhorst camo? I already have Scharnhorst, so do I just not get any equivalent reward?

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007

Velius posted:

Is the last reward for the Second campaign Scharnhorst and a camo or just a Scharnhorst camo? I already have Scharnhorst, so do I just not get any equivalent reward?

I am certain its only the camo. Which if judging by DoY Arctic camo will look like poo poo.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I've got bad news about some of your captains...

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/951950007837515777

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Eltoasto posted:

I've got bad news about some of your captains...

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/951950007837515777

fire alarm

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I always forget about radar through islands and every now and then it just kills me in my Fletcher or Gearing. Just dead.

cheese fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 13, 2018

JediBlutarsky
Dec 4, 2002

So, smoke or radar on the Edinburgh?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

JediBlutarsky posted:

100% smoke. Unless you can division with someone all the time.

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

JediBlutarsky posted:

Smoke unless you are in a division with a DD or something. Your life expectancy when spotted is measured in seconds, so you really can't afford to lose the smoke.

JediBlutarsky
Dec 4, 2002

Tathris posted:

Smoke unless you are in a division with a DD or something. Your life expectancy when spotted is measured in seconds, so you really can't afford to lose the smoke.

Interesting. I figured with so many radar boats in ranked that smoke would be useless.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

JediBlutarsky posted:

Interesting. I figured with so many radar boats in ranked that smoke would be useless.

If ranked is anything like CB was, yes smoke is useless due to radar and the best way to play the [UK CL] is to not.

JediBlutarsky
Dec 4, 2002

wdarkk posted:

If ranked is anything like CB was, yes smoke is useless due to radar and the best way to play the [UK CL] is to not.

Yeah but those beautiful rapid firing guns. I guess I could slum it in my Benson/Hipper/New Orleans.

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

wdarkk posted:

I love my RN CLs but yeah I don't think it's a good idea to bring one to ranked. Too many people eager to get easy score by dumping torps into any smoke that shows up or by radaring you, and if you did try to bring radar you would have every ship on the enemy team suicide-charging you just to shoot you.

People really, really hate british cruisers.

I don't play a lot of ranked, but I've had good success using the Charles Martel. French cruisers in general are just great all-around ships, and the super speed-boost makes other ships feel painfully slow afterwards.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

JediBlutarsky posted:

Yeah but those beautiful rapid firing guns. I guess I could slum it in my Benson/Hipper/New Orleans.

Benson is the top choice there if you're decent in DDs. Use the B hull for the extra turret and the Rudder upgrade to compensate.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

JediBlutarsky posted:

Just a suggestion, but not play a Hipper (or a Eugen for that matter). They are probably the worst possible cruiser choice you could make for ranked, bringing absolutely nothing to the table.

As mentioned, Benson is the superlative choice, and New Orleans is actually fairly good as well due to its radar and concealment.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

What a way to unlock the final mission for DoY.

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007
When Missouri works it really works.

Highlights of battle include killing Edinburgh while shooting at Iowa, strategically destroying both of Iowa front turrets and spooking Fiji with radar so he moves from position where I could not shoot at him.

Herr Bazooka fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 13, 2018

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The fifth mission on the New Year's Raid sure isn't great.

- Be the first to spot 11 destroyers in a destroyer = 1 star.
- Do 150 000 damage to destroyers in a destroyer = 1 star

So essentially, at my highest destroyer's level (6), I have to kill ~12 destroyers for one star. Spotting them is a pure guessing game of trying to figure out which spawn they're going for. So both of those loving suck, and realistically take ~12+ games each. For ONE STAR.

So I'm just grinding the 3 000 000 credits mission twice. I'm using a lot of signals but man gently caress it.

Also the King George V is loving great.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Finally done, this season was even more horrible than the past ones, maybe cause it started over the holidays when all the shitters had spare time.

This is my 3rd time, so I get a Flint, supposedly it's poo poo nowadays...

All praise the mighty Kutuzov, which carried me from 3 to 1.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 13, 2018

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007
Gratz

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
Has anyone had issues with their sound drivers crashing while playing WoWs? It seems like every hour or two my sound will just cut out. If I try to disable/enable the sound device the entire sound device manager freezes. I have to restart my computer in order to resolve the issue. I've tried reinstalling but it hasn't helped

JediBlutarsky
Dec 4, 2002

Lord Koth posted:

Just a suggestion, but not play a Hipper (or a Eugen for that matter). They are probably the worst possible cruiser choice you could make for ranked, bringing absolutely nothing to the table.

As mentioned, Benson is the superlative choice, and New Orleans is actually fairly good as well due to its radar and concealment.

I've actually had pretty good luck with the Hipper in ranked (killing potatoes who blindly sail around an island with my torps and AP and setting fires on everything) but I'll give priority to the Benson and the NO. I'm kinda poo poo with the Benson but have been having fun in the NO and am looking forward to the T9 and T10 US cruiser boats.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Finished the New Years Raid after 22 Belfast games and 13 Missouri games.

I only lost 2 of the Belfast games, it was more like New Tears Raid for the reds....it seriously must be the worst to be on the receiving end of a decent Belfast. I even manage to solo an Amagi and almost his Alabama buddy one game. It's great when they blind fire at you so you can save your radar.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
So I was gonna Free XP through the RN cruiser line between T3 and T7 but I decided to play the Leander and not waste the free XP...and..I kinda like it?

I was lead to believe the line is kinda rear end till Fiji. It feels like Kuma/Omaha/Aoba, my favorite cruuisers.

I play it super agressive, hug islands like mad and its probably been most fun I have had in wows in while.

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

Kerrow posted:

So I was gonna Free XP through the RN cruiser line between T3 and T7 but I decided to play the Leander and not waste the free XP...and..I kinda like it?

I was lead to believe the line is kinda rear end till Fiji. It feels like Kuma/Omaha/Aoba, my favorite cruuisers.

I play it super agressive, hug islands like mad and its probably been most fun I have had in wows in while.

The Emerald is the last (and worst) piece of garbage in the line. Leander is when it gets good.

If you like the Leander, you're gonna love the rest of the line. It's pretty much just the same ship but better every tier from there.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Tathris posted:

The Emerald is the last (and worst) piece of garbage in the line. Leander is when it gets good.

If you like the Leander, you're gonna love the rest of the line. It's pretty much just the same ship but better every tier from there.
The Edin is a little disappointing after the Fiji. It's basically a Fiji with some armor that doesn't really matter because T8 matchmaking is really mean to cruisers. The Neptune is where you get Minotaur style machine guns though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Obviously the solution to the Steven Seagal thing is to get Gary Busey to be the new captain and do the voiceovers.

"Penetration! Hah haaaaah!"

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO

Tathris posted:

Like might not be a sufficient way to describe it. :swoon:

God I love torping BBs from 2.5km away

JediBlutarsky
Dec 4, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Obviously the solution to the Steven Seagal thing is to get Gary Busey to be the new captain and do the voiceovers.

"Penetration! Hah haaaaah!"

I support this movement.

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

Kerrow posted:

Like might not be a sufficient way to describe it. :swoon:

God I love torping BBs from 2.5km away

You'll do great.

ps. the minotaur gets like 8 torps per side and shits out bullets it's incredible.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Quick fact :eng101:

I have not seen a single Prinz Eugen during ranked.

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

Hammerstein posted:

I saw one!

I remember that because i had to alt-tab and look up the ship. I legit forgot that it exists.

JediBlutarsky
Dec 4, 2002

Hammerstein posted:

I saw one as well. Burned him down with my Hipper's HE then finished him off with AP broadsides. :)

Also, I seem to be pissing off both friend and foe alike when referring to my Missouri as "Trumpwagen".

JediBlutarsky fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 13, 2018

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
So I was really struggling in my Missouri for the first 15 games and then I discovered...HE. It feels filthy but it really fixed the early game for me when was really struggling to get good AP hits on long range/angled BBs. 7-10k volleys on the superstructure of angled Montana's when AP would have been lucky to get 3-4k.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

cheese posted:

So I was really struggling in my Missouri for the first 15 games and then I discovered...HE. It feels filthy but it really fixed the early game for me when was really struggling to get good AP hits on long range/angled BBs. 7-10k volleys on the superstructure of angled Montana's when AP would have been lucky to get 3-4k.

This is also where Steven Seagal shines, since he gives you a -75% shell switch boost, instead of the usual -50%.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Hammerstein posted:

You should try ranked on Asia! Well, I ranked out a week or two ago maybe I should try doing the same on NA. Probably too late now.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Tathris posted:

Recently graduated from Emerald to Leander and I can confirm this. The Leander is still horrendously fragile but at least you don't go into every match thinking there's no reason for you to be there.

Dumb question: I'm sure that I used to be able to see the shiptype and tier on the line-up sidebars but cant figure out how to get that information up now, does this option still exist or am I supposed to identify every ship from silhouette?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Recently graduated from Emerald to Leander and I can confirm this. The Leander is still horrendously fragile but at least you don't go into every match thinking there's no reason for you to be there.

Dumb question: I'm sure that I used to be able to see the shiptype and tier on the line-up sidebars but cant figure out how to get that information up now, does this option still exist or am I supposed to identify every ship from silhouette?
Get aslains modpack. They're called contour icons. I use ones that show torp and firing range as well as the name and class, but there's even ones that go as far as showing detection range.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Heartcatch posted:

You should try ranked on Asia! Well, I ranked out a week or two ago maybe I should try doing the same on NA. Probably too late now.

You are a crazy person and I love you for it. You're also a much better player than I am, this ranked season almost broke my mind and showed how lovely I actually am. I cannot stomach doing this again anytime soon.

In other news:

If you have a Nelson now is a good time to play it, since it eats all those Duke of Yorks that are currently around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I'm genuinely curious how you manage in ranked because jesus christtttttttttttt.

BBs seem like a non-starter because I have a lot of very good/average games in my Amagi and NC, but I always seem to lose because the DDs do dumb things and die and then I am hosed.

Utility CLs and DDs seem like the way to go, but again, you can get hosed over by the luck of the draw ( enemy team has two Chapy, you have two Kutuzovs ).

I'm going to get into my Chapy tomorrow and do work. I bet I can win 50%+ of the games just by guaranteeing radar on my team.