Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

HoboMan posted:

one of our exes is throwing an unhandled NullReferenceException

eww nasty. delete facebook and get a restraining order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i mean the idea is that the business folks write the ghkerin formatted "features" and QA (or developers) write the "step definitions." AFAIK cucumber never claims that you don't have to write actual code.

but I've worked at 3 places that use cucumber and in all of those places, the business folks write gherkin features for one or two sprints and then just give up and have QA convert user stories into features. in theory a BA could read the feature specs but that never happens so all the ceremony just seems like extra work. it would be easier, faster, and less error prone to just write the tests normally.

yeah, that's pretty much how i pictured it going. i don't have anything against cucumber as a test framework, but the idea of integrating it that deeply into the whole planning and development process seems fragile

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

HoboMan posted:

one of our exes is throwing an unhandled NullReferenceException, but i got all of main wrapped in a try catch?

Then it's happening on a separate thread.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

someone on slack asking for an expert in both docker and cics

godspeed, whoever you are

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

business rule engines

loving triggered

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i mean the idea is that the business folks write the ghkerin formatted "features" and QA (or developers) write the "step definitions." AFAIK cucumber never claims that you don't have to write actual code.

but I've worked at 3 places that use cucumber and in all of those places, the business folks write gherkin features for one or two sprints and then just give up and have QA convert user stories into features. in theory a BA could read the feature specs but that never happens so all the ceremony just seems like extra work. it would be easier, faster, and less error prone to just write the tests normally.
i've used 2 frameworks (one in-house and the other some stupid uncle bob poo poo) that had the same intention as cucumber, and it ended up that the devs wrote all the cucumber-like tests. no one else ever read or wrote them.

the test frameworks just ended up as a way to write tests in a crippled, dynamically typed, boilerplate-ish, terrible programming language

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

there's an app team at work that proudly tell everyone they have something like 5000 stories all linked to cucumber tests and yet the application is almost unusable because somewhere along the line they disappeared down a devops rabbit hole of generating all this stuff and that became the goal instead of producing a functioning system

anyway, today I went from creating a gitlab project to importing a complete app from svn to thinking I was a wizard for splitting the code base into individual projects based on component to loving it up entirely by not applying a filter properly and after spending an hour trying to unfuck myself realising I don't know what I'm doing at all

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

loving triggered
Ask me about writing java code into a custom rule engine excel spreadsheet

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
submitted my first pr to a majorish scala library and was told my changes are excellent :agesilaus:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

comedyblissoption posted:

i've used 2 frameworks (one in-house and the other some stupid uncle bob poo poo) that had the same intention as cucumber, and it ended up that the devs wrote all the cucumber-like tests. no one else ever read or wrote them.

the test frameworks just ended up as a way to write tests in a crippled, dynamically typed, boilerplate-ish, terrible programming language

i had a coworker who was obsessed with writing dsls. it's entirely unclear why as our team was the only one that actually touched the dsl so we ended up with this lovely neutered tool when passing structured files around would have worked perfectly well. so glad he quit jfc.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

submitted my first pr to a majorish scala library and was told my changes are excellent :agesilaus:

it's scala, no one could tell

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
just realised I labeled one variable a string by mistake and now I'm going to have to re-run all my analyses :rip: me

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Nice, congrats!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

man I wish my mom was a programmer

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

:toot: congrats

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

my first nontrivial open source pr was well received and got compliments from all the maintainers and added a critical bug that caused users to immediately rollback to the previous version

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

NihilCredo posted:

my first nontrivial open source pr was well received and got compliments from all the maintainers and added a critical bug that caused users to immediately rollback to the previous version

Livin' the dream, right there!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

NihilCredo posted:

yeah i'm bracing myself for this.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
going to work and unloading more tires onto our angular 1 tire fire, then coming home and working on a side project that uses react and flow makes for quite the contrast

god i hate angular so loving much

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Sapozhnik posted:

going to work and unloading more tires onto our angular 1 tire fire, then coming home and working on a side project that uses react and flow makes for quite the contrast

god i hate angular so loving much

:same:

i'm on 2 projects using angular 1 and 4 and they both suck poo poo. a third project using react is 1000x more pleasant to work on but it's not billable so guess where most of my day is spent

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

gonadic io posted:

Ask me about writing java code into a custom rule engine excel spreadsheet

i might be about to head down the "what we need is a rules engine" path and I desperately need to find a way for this to not end up with me "designing" my own

unfortunately as far as I know every other existing tool we have sucks because everybody goes "oh rules/workflow, how hard can it be?" and writes their own clusterfuck

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
make a placebo "rules" "engine" interface and when nobody fiddles with the knobs after two weeks you can delete it. nobody will be the wiser

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

I’m going to assume it’s out of memory despite Update 8 requiring 256MB and try again tomorrow when my other 256MB arrives

solaris 10 won't run worth poo poo in 256 mb

ram should be like twenty bucks on ebay

Luigi Thirty posted:

I think I have an old adaptec scsi board somewhere.

you need a card with sun firmware in order to boot off of it. symbios was the most common vendor

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

pokeyman posted:

make a placebo "rules" "engine" interface and when nobody fiddles with the knobs after two weeks you can delete it. nobody will be the wiser

lol let me tell you about my customisable input form module that the interface for got so complicated we abandoned using it and instead fill out an excel template that generates SQL to create stuff.

the actual stuff it does is pretty good though

worst "rules engine" I've seen so far stored javascript as text in the database and would inject bits of html and script to apply "rules"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

solaris 10 won't run worth poo poo in 256 mb

ram should be like twenty bucks on ebay

i'm workin on it yeah

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you need a card with sun firmware in order to boot off of it. symbios was the most common vendor

i talked to a fellow sunhaver on twitter and he linked me to the model of SATA card he's using which can be flashed with mac firmware that contains the proper fcode for openbios to see it so i've got one of those on the way

you still can't boot directly from the SATA card but i bet there's a way to do it like linux where you put the kernel on one of those cheap IDE 1GB SSDs and then it reads / from the PCI card's SATA port

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

i might be about to head down the "what we need is a rules engine" path and I desperately need to find a way for this to not end up with me "designing" my own

unfortunately as far as I know every other existing tool we have sucks because everybody goes "oh rules/workflow, how hard can it be?" and writes their own clusterfuck
My current project has had three iterations of its rules engine. The first two were inner-platform.txt, truly wretched in every aspect, and the current version is mostly excellent. The difference was wether we ignored the higher-ups asking for something generic that 'every team in the business could use' or focused it on the domain of our specific app.

Trouble is they're a bit like survival rogue-likes or SQL query builders in that everyone thinks they'll be fun to write and theirs will be the one that's actually good.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

i'm workin on it yeah

i talked to a fellow sunhaver on twitter and he linked me to the model of SATA card he's using which can be flashed with mac firmware that contains the proper fcode for openbios to see it so i've got one of those on the way

you still can't boot directly from the SATA card but i bet there's a way to do it like linux where you put the kernel on one of those cheap IDE 1GB SSDs and then it reads / from the PCI card's SATA port

you shouldn't need to flash anything

sun-compatible cards cost fuckall on ebay now because oracle killed the sun aftermarket dead in 2011

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sun-370-7696-SAS3041XL-S-03-01084-04B-PCI-X-SAS-Raid-Controller-Card-Low-Profile/352156699738

this is a pull from a t2000 or similar -- it should probably work without any fuckery, but i'm not sure. i've never tried to put a sas drive into a sun that old.

the best place to ask is probably the sun-rescue list, rescue@sunhelp.org

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

toiletbrush posted:

Trouble is they're a bit like survival rogue-likes or SQL query builders in that everyone thinks they'll be fun to write and theirs will be the one that's actually good.

same but class hierarchies in general

programmers loooooove taxonomies

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
our project has been trying to integrate (and now come up with a use for) ibm odm for 2 years now. well at least now it's in production and there is one placeholder rule it uses that would have been an if statement in one of our controllers.

one justification for the rules engine was avoiding vendor lock in.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

toiletbrush posted:

My current project has had three iterations of its rules engine. The first two were inner-platform.txt, truly wretched in every aspect, and the current version is mostly excellent. The difference was wether we ignored the higher-ups asking for something generic that 'every team in the business could use' or focused it on the domain of our specific app.

100% agreed. same for document management. I literally make jokes about how at some point everybody gets convinced they can write a new dms/workflow tool/reporting framework and that's how we end up with yet another half baked version of the same basic thing.

i will definitely be making GBS threads up this thread with tales of woe about this. either because we'll write our own that's just a glorified state machine or because we'll use a vendor product and spend 5 years trying to implement it only for nobody to use it

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
the eternal saga

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

100% agreed. same for document management. I literally make jokes about how at some point everybody gets convinced they can write a new dms/workflow tool/reporting framework and that's how we end up with yet another half baked version of the same basic thing.

i will definitely be making GBS threads up this thread with tales of woe about this. either because we'll write our own that's just a glorified state machine or because we'll use a vendor product and spend 5 years trying to implement it only for nobody to use it

afaict document management is something you probably should do in house, because the vendor tools are awful and everything requires extensive customization anyway

the dream of not employing software developers lies forever out of grasp

no piece of software more complicated than a calculator will do what your business needs AND avoid requiring customization by skilled professionals, it's impossible

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
never ask me about documentum

that is a period of my life i cannot discuss. it is literally unspeakable

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

never ask me about documentum

that is a period of my life i cannot discuss. it is literally unspeakable

So, what was up with documentum?

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

i've seen way too many projects that have "reporting tools" in the requirements without any formal specifications. no two people ever have the same assumptions about them. if anyone tries to hand-wave it by saying you can just tack on crystal reports or jasper or whatever, you're in big loving trouble

one of the more successful mitigations i've used is to change the requirement to a csv data export and leave it up to the client to make their own reports in excel. ofc ymmv depending on the system, the data, and the client. but ime the alternative is often a lot worse, e.g., you wind up making a lovely unusable excel clone as a webapp

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
speaking of reinventing excel anyone tried handsontable? is it any good?

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

it works alright but condolences

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

“JavaScript Spreadsheet”

what does your heart tell you

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

So, what was up with documentum?

documentum: not even once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
how’s it compare to sharepoint

• Locked thread