Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Viridiant posted:

I liked the parts of this chapter that didn't involve Dogtooth. This might be the worst Luffy fight in the manga.

Conversely, I've liked the parts of this chapter, and arc, that involve Dogtooth...except that Luffy keeps dragging the scenes they're sharing down.

He's a fun character (Katakuri), while Luffy's been largely tedious for a long while now, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

To be serious for a moment, I think this fight between Luffy and Katakuri is narratively necessary. It explains why guys like Crocodile couldn't cut it in the end.

It sucks to see Luffy continually get his face punched in, but I'm extremely confident everyone would be complaining if Luffy had an easy go with this fight. I don't really care about 'The Shonen Formula', but in the One Piece world, it makes sense that the Yonko chief underlings are serious business. I'd rather have had the Doffy fight be half as long to compensate for this fight, but One Piece is a weekly serial, and it's never going to be a concise, tight story. It's kind of silly to expect that, given it's format.

Anyway, I have no idea how the Straw Hats are gonna get outta this, and I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I felt totally okay with the Katakuri fight up until Luffy ran away and then came back. The fight was actually pretty well-paced before that, with interesting developments happening basically every time we cut over to it, but since then it's just felt like a slugfest without much progression.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

hell astro course posted:

It sucks to see Luffy continually get his face punched in, but I'm extremely confident everyone would be complaining if Luffy had an easy go with this fight. I don't really care about 'The Shonen Formula', but in the One Piece world, it makes sense that the Yonko chief underlings are serious business.

The problem is that it's not serious business enough, given how many hits Luffy has taken without going down.

Oda should have either just let Luffy run away from Katakuri or have Luffy win by "cheating" with water or something. Luffy surpassing Katakuri like this is dumb.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was way into the donut reveal but the fights been a little drawn out since then. luffy struggling is fine and appropriate for who he's fighting but I do feel like some of the cutaways to their fight are a waste of my time

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
It's not really the length I have a problem with, it's that the fight's been more of a straight line than a rollercoaster. There's not a real sense of progression, nor is there a real sense of losing ground. Katakuri can't beat Luffy, but Luffy continues to be barely able to hit Katakuri. The fight hasn't had a ton of cool visuals, nor has it had many gags, which are usually the best parts of One Piece fights. The first real sense of progression after Katakuri's donut feast happened was lost not long after that as he regained his composure.

I don't want the fight to be short, I want it to be varied.

Viridiant fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 13, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Luffy is going to pull some masterful move and the whole fight will have been worth it

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah, I really wanna be able to look back at this fight with a smile and Oda's certainly done that before. I didn't enjoy Skypiea at the time but now it's one of my favorite arcs.

Here's hoping!

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Let's be honest with ourselves: with the remaining Straw Hats and the cake crew all converging onto a single point, and the description of the cake as practically being a divine object, we all know that Luffy is going to be eating the cake and poo poo's going to go even further off the rails.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Silver2195 posted:

The problem is that it's not serious business enough, given how many hits Luffy has taken without going down.

Oda should have either just let Luffy run away from Katakuri or have Luffy win by "cheating" with water or something. Luffy surpassing Katakuri like this is dumb.

buddy, I don't know about you, but my heart is breaking seeing Luffy getting his face continually caved in...

Maybe cause I DON'T care about fightmans, this arc is working for me

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
What if Luffy just straight up loses, and the crew has to bolt off with him with only the cake to distract would-be pursuers? What if Luffy has to learn he can't solve his problem by bashing his face against it until he can outmuscle it?

It won't happen, especially since it was kinda the point of his freakout after Marineford, but his strategy is mostly "lose until I win" at this moment.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I feel like this is sort of dumb and dragged out but the end result is gonna be Luffy looking like :zoro:, mastering the precognition-level haki which makes Dogtooth flustered enough for Luffy to take the opening and annihilate him which is actually gonna be pretty great.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm enjoying the Katakuri fight and the panel with Luffy instantly meeting that giant fist with an elephant gun owned.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Clearly this’ll wrap up after Luffy challenges Dogtooth to an doughnut eating contest.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bunch of people in here who probably caught up to OP in 2017.

The manga moves slow af week to week, that's been the complaint about every arc in real time since forever. You'll all reread the arc when it's complete* and marvel about the pacing when you can read 10 chapters in like 30 minutes instead of 4 months.

*in about 18 months :smith:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I heard something weird by a friend who read the chapter. They said that Pudding is younger than Flambe, who is 15. That can't be right, right?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

I heard something weird by a friend who read the chapter. They said that Pudding is younger than Flambe, who is 15. That can't be right, right?

Going by the wiki that is correct as it says she is at most 15.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Flambe is the 33rd daughter. Pudding is the 35th, so

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

There's a number of child numbering problems during this arc that contradict each other or make no sense. From what I've heard, they've been mostly fixed in the volume releases. It seems Oda sometimes isn't that great at keeping a bunch of relative ages and orders in line. :v:

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

will chopper ever get a real bounty

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Luffy is gonna reach katakuri's level of precognition and then the fight just ends. They'll just stand there perfectly predicting each other's moves and go "what the gently caress do we do now?"

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

QuasiQuack posted:

Luffy is gonna reach katakuri's level of precognition and then the fight just ends. They'll just stand there perfectly predicting each other's moves and go "what the gently caress do we do now?"

didnt some other anime do that

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Has anyone said Wed D. Ing Cake yet

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

JahRoo posted:

will chopper ever get a real bounty

I'm waiting for Chopper to get a real bounty after devouring whichever of Big Mom's kids ate the cotton candy fruit

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ziddar posted:

There's a number of child numbering problems during this arc that contradict each other or make no sense. From what I've heard, they've been mostly fixed in the volume releases. It seems Oda sometimes isn't that great at keeping a bunch of relative ages and orders in line. :v:

Boy I really hope it's this and not "Oda is friends with two convicted pedophiles for a reason"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Clearly this’ll wrap up after Luffy challenges Dogtooth to an doughnut eating contest.

Holy poo poo, new theory - Katakuri will be defeated when they come out into the real world in front of Sanji’s cake and he goes on an epic sugar binge.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Kild posted:

toriko did, and everybody says thats when it jumped the shark but i thought it was pretty fun

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Blockhouse posted:

Boy I really hope it's this and not "Oda is friends with two convicted pedophiles for a reason"

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Kild posted:

sherlock holmes 2 did

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Luffy is going to hit Dogtooth so hard he goes flying!

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Pewdiepie posted:

Luffy is going to hit Dogtooth so hard he goes flying!

Into the cake and big mom eats it and him and then dies from having two fruits

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I like how each time big mom is rebuffed or delayed, she becomes even more of a threat.

More like a force of nature than a defeatable opponent at this point.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

U-DO Burger posted:

Your opinion is "Oda writes well so he will have the arc go exactly as I think it should", which is dumb

The possible options available are a binary choice between (a) his big fight this arc is Katakuri and he won't face Big Mom now or (b) his big fight this arc will be Big Mom. I think him not facing Big Mom is a bad thing for reasons I have explained, and which tie in to why I enjoy One Piece. If he doesn't fight Big Mom then the character and overall comic will become somewhat lesser to me. You can replace "bad writing" with "writing that makes One Piece something I don't read it for" if you wish. It's not so much that I think "writing I enjoy out of One Piece is X happening and will accept no other possibility", it's that I think "writing that I won't enjoy in One Piece is X happening and I don't want to see that", but X in this case is one half of a binary choice. I don't care whether Carrot or Pudding join the crew (or the armada) for instance. I don't think they will join the crew at least, since they don't really seem to fit the usual criteria, but whether they do or don't makes no odds to my perception of the manga or it's characters. This does.

Mraagvpeine posted:

There is a way for this to work. When she gets her cravings again, instead of a specific dessert she wants "something made by Sanji" after having that delicious cake he made.

I mean it could; but at that point its just repeating an already used plot point almost beat for beat. Which I imagine would feel stale, especially if she starts to body morph due to starvation and her family note that she's never been hungry for this long before and so is a new and unknown terror even for them. And so on.

U-DO Burger posted:

maybe, just maybe, Big Mom won't decide to let bygones be bygones after the Strawhats escape after ruining one of her big events, destroying tons of her poo poo, and making off with a Road Poneglyph rubbing

If Sanji's cake was to settle things on it's own then that isn't possible. The only way it could settle things without further intervention necessary is by either immediately knocking her out or making her so happy she lets the Strawhats leave.

Cran posted:

What if Luffy just straight up loses, and the crew has to bolt off with him with only the cake to distract would-be pursuers? What if Luffy has to learn he can't solve his problem by bashing his face against it until he can outmuscle it?

It won't happen, especially since it was kinda the point of his freakout after Marineford, but his strategy is mostly "lose until I win" at this moment.

His strategy isn't "lose until I win", it's "keep trying to figure out this whole precognition thing until I get it". Something he's in the midst of doing in this very chapter. He's not gonna win because Katakuri just runs out of steam or something, and isn't not dying because he's invincible; he's just got more stamina than Flambe or Katakuri expect. Something that's been true of Luffy (and Zoro, Usopp, and others) for nearly 900 chapters now. Luffy has straight up lost several times in the past; against Ao Kiji, against Kuma and against Akainu. He's never learned that he can't solve problems by punch harder, because that's not what One Piece is about and changing that nearly 900 chapters in would feel very out of place.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 14, 2018

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
wait nvm i was wrong

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
I’m wondering if she’s going to stone cold murder candy tongue boy the moment she realizes the cake is on one of her ships, and he lied about the strawhats stealing it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

brainSnakes posted:

I’m wondering if she’s going to stone cold murder candy tongue boy the moment she realizes the cake is on one of her ships, and he lied about the strawhats stealing it.

Well it's on Bege's ship so he can probably cover his own rear end if he thinks quick.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

"I didn't lie Mama, it was on Bege's ship because it was a mystery cake"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I still feel like this entire thing where Luffy can barely beat Mama's first in command, in effect, is showing that the warlords are no laughing matter and that the Straw Hats will escape by the skin of their teeth and someone else will probably swoop in and beat Big Mom like Weevil, who will eventually lose to someone like Jack in a pure strength matchup, and gives Luffy someone stronger to overcome or befriend later on. One Piece is about the destination, we can take a hit on the Straw Hats not being stronger than one of the 8 strongest people in the world this early into the New World.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

RealFoxy posted:

I still feel like this entire thing where Luffy can barely beat Mama's first in command, in effect, is showing that the warlords are no laughing matter and that the Straw Hats will escape by the skin of their teeth and someone else will probably swoop in and beat Big Mom like Weevil, who will eventually lose to someone like Jack in a pure strength matchup, and gives Luffy someone stronger to overcome or befriend later on. One Piece is about the destination, we can take a hit on the Straw Hats not being stronger than one of the 8 strongest people in the world this early into the New World.

Early it's been what 5-6 years now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

Chapter 900 will be Blackbeard swooping in to take out big mom.