Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I always found the first book to be tediously misanthropic. I assume Roland is better defined in later books, but in the first one he seems less consumed by purpose and more just an rear end in a top hat

That's actually what I liked about the first book. Pretty much every Stephen King protagonist is some variation of "nice enough dude who stumbles into weird poo poo". poo poo, pretty much every protagonist in any kind of fantasy, horror or sci-fi is "nice enough dude who stumbles into weird poo poo". It was a refreshing change to have a lead who was a) actually purposeful and b) a dickhead. When Roland turns into a nice guy Gary Stu in the later books it's just kinda bleh, and doubly so since Eddie and Susannah still treat him like he's a prick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

If you don't like Wizard and the Glass, then I don't like YOU.
I get the people who read it when there was no book five to move on to (ugh) because it's a flashback book, so yeah.. I understand the resentment.

On the other hand, I took it as a big flashback book and wow, what a great story. It might be my favorite of them all, just because of the gravity of the experiences Roland has and what it does to him. Plus I enjoyed the characters and the scheming and all that stuff Three young gunslingers think they know poo poo, and things break down, and there's a girl involved, and it goes about like you'd expect from a King story.

I loved it, and I only don't read it often for the same reason I don't often read Bag of Bones (another book that I really like that others don't): what happens to the love interest at the end.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

post your ranking order of the Dark Tower books, I'll start: 3, 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 6

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Reminder that the movie is the canon sequel to the book series

Trip 19: CHOOSE YOUR WEAPON, IF YOU FAIL TO BEST CORT YOU WILL BE SENT WEST, FOREVER AN OUTCAST AND NEVER TO BECOME AN APPRENTICE GUNSLINGER!

Trip 20: Hey Jake, ever held a gun before? No? Well if you shoot this Pepsi can you're officially a gunslinger. Hop to, shitbrick.

But seriously, how lazy is it to have the very next iteration skip the whole under-the-mountains bit.

Karmine posted:

It gets way better almost immediately in the second book. Gunslinger is a bit of a slog, but it's short and gives a lot of essential background/world building stuff. Drawing of the Three and Waste Lands are some of the most riveting things I've ever read. Wizard and Glass is great and gives a ton more background on who Roland is. Wolves of the Calla and Song of Susannah aren't great, but they keep the story moving and they definitely held my attention. DT7 kinda tries to do too much, but I thought it was a really satisfying ending.

Slog through the first book and if you're still bored by halfway through the second one, then the series probably has nothing for you.

This dude is pretty much on the money. The Waste Lands is right up there with The Stand and It for my money. The Dark Tower would actually be pretty great if not for one little thing (and by little thing, I mean a stupid unnecessary plot thread began in book 6 that way too much time is wasted on in book 7)

EDIT:

The Berzerker posted:

post your ranking order of the Dark Tower books, I'll start: 3, 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 6

3, 2, 4, 1 (original edit), Wind Through the Keyhole, 7, 5, 6, 1 (2003 edit)

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 13, 2018

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

4, 3, 2, 7, 1, 5, 6.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

4, 3, 2, 1, 5, 7, 6

I loving love Wizard and the Glass.

I've actually never read the Wind Through the Keyhole. Should I?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

RCarr posted:

It's alright. If you like the DT books, then definitely, but there's nothing essential in there you're missing if you don't.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

RCarr posted:

4, 3, 2, 1, 5, 7, 6

I loving love Wizard and the Glass.

No it's meandering garbage with some painful retcon stuff shoved in.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Finally finished Sleeping Beauties. A good and interesting concept, but it seemed like he had no idea how to give it a decent ending.

I'm not sure why I expected anything else.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
This is the definitive list of the Dark Tower books in alphabetical order

1. Dark Tower
2. Drawing of the Three
3. Gunslinger
4. Song of Susannah
5. Waste Lands
6. Wizard and Glass
7. Wolves of Calla

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
wolves of the calla is fine

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
song of susannah is the only really unacceptable entry

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

scary ghost dog posted:

yeah I agree with this.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

i think it's kind of universally agreed to be the worst

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Do you think King would be open to the idea of another author taking a stab at the Dark Tower saga picking up where the last book ended?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Do you think King would be open to the idea of another author taking a stab at the Dark Tower saga picking up where the last book ended?

He already did

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He already did

No he didn't. The movie is at least a few cycles ahead.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mister Kingdom posted:

because if there's one thing with a better track record of quality than genre fiction, it's licensed genre fiction

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Disgusting Coward posted:

No it's meandering garbage with some painful retcon stuff shoved in.

I disagree. I found it charming and really enjoyed being brought back into DT world. I'm a sucker for the Forgotten Technology trope and this hit the note nicely.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

fishmech posted:

No he didn't. The movie is at least a few cycles ahead.

yes but another author has already written the final conclusion of the cycle, to which the DT series is just a prequel

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Last thought on THE DEAD ZONE. I know plenty of people have drawn the comparison between Stillson and Trump and all that, but King really does nail a similar sense of what had been going around prior to the election.

There's Stillson's crazy talk of shooting all the garbage into space or how we're going to take oil from the Arabs, but there's also the way that people react to him. Countless times he's written off as a joke candidate and as a buffoon, all while his effect with people is just hand-waved away as not a big deal. And of course, Stillson is involved in shady property dealings.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 17, 2018

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/954187122394763264

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

I'm deffo going to pick this up just on the basis of that cover alone.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
yeah it's sick as hell

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Liking the way the cover is vaguely reminiscent of Stranger Things' "Upside-down" concept.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The Synopsis seems interesting

quote:

After losing his wife in a car accident caused by his driving drunk, writer Clark Bixsby has sworn to go cold turkey and kick his addictions by returning to his childhood home in Maine. There, he reconnects with his old high school sweetheart, Beth, who has recently divorced her husband and is raising her son, Teddy, alone. Energized he even finds himself finally inspired to finish the novel he abandoned in high school. However, on the same day he arrived, another person came to town. Someone no one had seen before. An Outsider. Soon, Clark notices the Outsider has taken a special interest in Teddy, or more appropriately, the strange things that seem to happen when Teddy dreams. To stop evil from taking control of Teddy's special gift, Clark is forced to confront the demons he has run from his whole life, demons that started when he and his friends found something they couldn't explain in the nearby woods

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Synopsis seems interesting.

That does sound pretty good. Color me excited.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Synopsis seems interesting

After losing his wife in a car accident caused by his driving drunk, writer Clark Bixsby has sworn to go cold turkey and kick his addictions by returning to his childhood home in Maine. There, he reconnects with his old high school sweetheart, Beth, who has recently divorced her husband and is raising her son, Teddy, alone. Energized he even finds himself finally inspired to finish the novel he abandoned in high school. However, on the same day he arrived, another person came to town. Someone no one had seen before. An Outsider. Soon, Clark notices the Outsider has taken a special interest in Teddy, or more appropriately, the strange things that seem to happen when Teddy dreams. To stop evil from taking control of Teddy's special gift, Clark is forced to confront the demons he has run from his whole life, demons that started when he and his friends found something they couldn't explain in the nearby woods

I have to admit that I thought you were taking the piss with that synopsis and making a 'generic King storyline'. Car accident - check. Drunk writer - check. Maine - Check, magical kid - check. With a Constant Reader free-square we have a King BINGO.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

I have to admit that I thought you were taking the piss with that synopsis and making a 'generic King storyline'. Car accident - check. Drunk writer - check. Maine - Check, magical kid - check. With a Constant Reader free-square we have a King BINGO.

I was *wink*

You also missed childhood friends encountering evil that affects them as adults

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 19, 2018

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Hahahaha. You got me as well, dude.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was *wink*

Ayyy.. Good one. Congrats on not taking it too far and naming one of the Characters something like Henry Underhill.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was *wink*

no arc sodium lamps or fingernail half-moons, didn't fall for it

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Drunken Baker posted:

Hahahaha. You got me as well, dude.

I was pulled in, too. loving hook, line, and sinker. I had no trouble believing that was a new King book, and I'll be honest, I was psyched about it.

The actual book doesn't sound bad, though. I might pick it up.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I actually thought that was a pretty good synopsis. I'd read it.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Leavemywife posted:

I was pulled in, too. loving hook, line, and sinker. I had no trouble believing that was a new King book, and I'll be honest, I was psyched about it.

The actual book doesn't sound bad, though. I might pick it up.

Mark me as gullible, too! And I didn’t even fall for Gorilla Channel!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

That moment you realize you apparently have a hidden talent for pulp horror

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Large collection of rare King material destroyed by flood

That sucks big time.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So I have read The Dark Tower series in full, The Stand, Misery, Under the Dome, The Long Walk, The Eyes of the Dragon, & Just After Sunset.

I've seen The Shining, IT, & 11-22-63, so I'm not sure I want to read one of those next.

Does anyone have a recommendation of King's remaining books for me to read next?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

His earlier short story collections (Night Shift, Skeleton Crew) and 'Salem's Lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

RCarr posted:

So I have read The Dark Tower series in full, The Stand, Misery, Under the Dome, The Long Walk, The Eyes of the Dragon, & Just After Sunset.

I've seen The Shining, IT, & 11-22-63, so I'm not sure I want to read one of those next.

Does anyone have a recommendation of King's remaining books for me to read next?

I'd recommend It and The Shining personally, beacuse the books are tremendous. What are you in the mood for?