Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Black Panther makes me think a movie based on Lothar and Mandrake the Magician could totally work; just have Lothar be an African prince faced with the struggles of modernity, neo-colonialism and the Herculean task of keeping a modern African country from getting totally hosed over by greedy monsters within and without, backed up by the aid of a stage magician who happens to have real powers of hypnotic illusion and convinced to use them for a worthy cause other than just entertaining people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sergio Leone once wanted to make a Mandrake the Magician movie, after he'd made a Phantom movie (he started writing one and scouting locations but never got further than that).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Black Panther is going to do just fine at the box office considering they just started preselling tickets and it has already beat out every other Marvel movie in presold tickets.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean hell, Marvel movies have gotten stale enough that afro-futurism is exactly the kind of new weird poo poo I want to see just for a change of pace.

It's unusual to see a superhero story focusing on the mythical hidden civilisation; they're usually places where superheroes and supervillains are from, not the setting of the bulk of the story; see Themiscyra, Gorilla City, Krypton, Atlantis (either one), Shangri-La, etc. It's a relatively new thing that the 'Other Place', whether it's a lost city, a hidden country, another world, Fairyland or Atlantis, is considered a place worth exploring on its own right with people the audience can identify with and care for.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's unusual to see a superhero story focusing on the mythical hidden civilisation; they're usually places where superheroes and supervillains are from, not the setting of the bulk of the story; see Themiscyra, Gorilla City, Krypton, Atlantis (either one), Shangri-La, etc. It's a relatively new thing that the 'Other Place', whether it's a lost city, a hidden country, another world, Fairyland or Atlantis, is considered a place worth exploring on its own right with people the audience can identify with and care for.

A big reason behind that has been budget and FX constraints which is much less of a factor for the MCU and the DCEU. I haven't seen the Flash TV series episodes about Gorilla City but from what I can tell they mostly occurred in a forest, a prison block and a gladiator arena which are obviously cheaper options. The Iron Fist Netflix cheaped out even more when it had scenes set in K'un-Lun.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
Was there much question that Black Panther would do well? It combines the broad appeal of Marvel movies with the a targeted appeal to black audiences who are hungry to see movies actually marketed to them.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

JoeCL posted:

Was there much question that Black Panther would do well? It combines the broad appeal of Marvel movies with the a targeted appeal to black audiences who are hungry to see movies actually marketed to them.

How did you miss the endless posting and articles about whether an all black superhero movie can be succesful?

Hwood has a whole recognizing the financial possibilities of mainstream black projects is fairly recent as well.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Shageletic posted:

How did you miss the endless posting and articles about whether an all black superhero movie can be succesful?

Hwood has a whole recognizing the financial possibilities of mainstream black projects is fairly recent as well.

Was it about being successful or was it about the notion of race in Hollywood and being exploited and such? I probably missed a lot too.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

JoeCL posted:

People are stupidly predicting that racism would deflect the Marvel movie powerhouse which is in full steam ahead mode. While I'm sure that there are a number of like, skinheads and nazis who won't watch Black Panther, they'll be far outweighed by the huge numbers of fans and the new audiences.

Like, this is the MCU film right before Infinity War. It's going to do well.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gatts posted:

Was it about being successful or was it about the notion of race in Hollywood and being exploited and such? I probably missed a lot too.

The latter, not for a single second does anyone think this won't be a big hit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
At least we seem to have stopped saying, "This is the one that's finally going to sink Marvel! They've gone too far this time!"

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Rough Lobster posted:

People are stupidly predicting that racism would deflect the Marvel movie powerhouse which is in full steam ahead mode. While I'm sure that there are a number of like, skinheads and nazis who won't watch Black Panther, they'll be far outweighed by the huge numbers of fans and the new audiences.

Like, this is the MCU film right before Infinity War. It's going to do well.

In fact I bet the skinheads' reaction to the movie will be played up by the studio in order to get those sweet sweet passive liberal dollars. Bob Iger's eyes will turn to dollar signs if some inbred Nazi redneck assaults someone because of the movie

kalel fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 13, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wheat Loaf posted:

At least we seem to have stopped saying, "This is the one that's finally going to sink Marvel! They've gone too far this time!"

It's pretty clear at this point that it doesn't matter what is or isn't part of these movies, it's the brand is what's strong.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's pretty clear at this point that it doesn't matter what is or isn't part of these movies, it's the brand is what's strong.

Not just the brand, but the tribalism as well. People feel an obligation to go see whatever Marvel shits out.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Hearing The Revolution Will Not Be Televised play over the trailer would have been my worst moviegoing experience of 2017, if I had not gone to watch Loving Vincent.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shageletic posted:

I don't take that as suggesting that people believe there's any possibility that Black Panther could fail, but that it's success is a foregone conclusion.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 13, 2018

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Gonz posted:

Star Wars has fallen on HAAAAAAAAARD TIIIIIIIIIIIMES, DADDEH!

:allears:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

joylessdivision posted:

This. If you will

*If you wheel.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Peanut President posted:

*If you wheel.

Thank you for correcting me. It was early.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gonz posted:

Star Wars has fallen on HAAAAAAAAARD TIIIIIIIIIIIMES, DADDEH!

Good ol' Lawd Vadah's 275 pounds o' natural red-eyed soul, daddeh!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's less satisfying when it's the other way around. After the box office bomb of Synecdoche, New York Charlie Kaufman went from being a hot property to spending years being unable to get a single thing made. Then Anomalisa also got a global box office return less than the reported budget...

That's tragic about Anomalisa, that movie was something really special.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, it's clear they're not going to sink overnight. I can imagine them slowly tapering off over a while (a long while), but it's frustratingly clear that they're here to stay.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Marvel dies when someone else finds a formula people like more. Not before and not until.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

basic hitler posted:

Marvel dies when someone else finds a formula people like more. Not before and not until.

Nah, Disney would just adapt to that formula and then that would be the new Marvel.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

basic hitler posted:

Or until people actually get bored of it, which has happened to every other major trend before.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Really this is the thing- Disney has, via its acquisitions of Marvel and Lucasfilm and probably Fox soon, reached a level of dominance that hasn't been seen in the industry since MGM in the Golden Age. On that level it becomes a sustaining loop- they own valuable IP, have more than enough money to exploit it, and so will keep making money to buy and exploit IP. If the market shifts to something other than superheroes, that's not all they have. If the fabled Mickey Mouse copyrights do finally sunset- they've already moved on. The clock hasn't even started ticking on the Marvel heroes or Star Wars. (With MGM it was theaters and stars under contract. And IP can't form a union.)

This is why the ideal of "an open, competitive free market" doesn't work. Sure a big company will fall upon hard times eventually but... it takes a while.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

Or until people actually get bored of it, which has happened to every other major trend before.

Marvel's like a genre now. That's like saying people will get bored of comedy movies

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sergio Leone once wanted to make a Mandrake the Magician movie, after he'd made a Phantom movie (he started writing one and scouting locations but never got further than that).

Oh no. In a second I was amazingly excited at the idea and then crushed with despair.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

Marvel's like a genre now. That's like saying people will get bored of comedy movies

Or Westerns.

Oh wait.

And yes, Westerns have stuck around, as smaller, independent, artsy movies rather than the box office dominating monsters they once were.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Wasn't the Hays' Code responsible for how popular Western movies and TV shows were? I thought I'd read that somewhere, since part of the Code dictated that the law was to be upheld, and since Westerns, due to the time period, had looser interpretations of exactly how the law would be upheld (i.e., they could just shoot the bastard, instead of having him arrested).

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Leavemywife posted:

Wasn't the Hays' Code responsible for how popular Western movies and TV shows were? I thought I'd read that somewhere, since part of the Code dictated that the law was to be upheld, and since Westerns, due to the time period, had looser interpretations of exactly how the law would be upheld (i.e., they could just shoot the bastard, instead of having him arrested).

I hadn't heard about Westerns but the Hay's code absolutely why we have the Noir genre as it is. You can't show graphic violence or talk about sex openly so we got bitching shadow deaths and innuendo.

The Hay's Code was kinda garbage but it lead to some cool stuff.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

joylessdivision posted:

I hadn't heard about Westerns but the Hay's code absolutely why we have the Noir genre as it is. You can't show graphic violence or talk about sex openly so we got bitching shadow deaths and innuendo.

The Hay's Code was kinda garbage but it lead to some cool stuff.

I could very well be wrong about that. I don't even remember where I picked that up at; I could have just read the Code dictated following the law and just extrapolated from there. But, I doubt that; I'm not sharp enough for that kind of thing.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Mysteriously, debates over whether the superhero movie market could ever collapse would continue long after the debut of the last superhero movie in the great Cape Crash of 2021.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Leavemywife posted:

I could very well be wrong about that. I don't even remember where I picked that up at; I could have just read the Code dictated following the law and just extrapolated from there. But, I doubt that; I'm not sharp enough for that kind of thing.

You did hear correctly. Since it was a past time period it was sold as a completely lawless point in history so they could be more violent. Even more importantly, IIRC a thing with the Hays Code was you had to be very careful with characters acting out of revenge. But in the wild west there was "no law" so violent revenge and revenge as a primary character motive could get by easily.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't really buy the comparison with westerns. Not only were they a certain genre but they also had a particular setting and era and technology, etc. When people are talking about the superhero trend or bubble nowadays they're really only referring to Marvel and DC dominance. But those characters can make for all kinds of different movies. And not only have we had comic book movies for far longer than the post-X-Men era, we've had movies about characters with superhuman abilities for even longer than that.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Lobok posted:

But those characters can make for all kinds of different movies.
But barring maybe a couple of movies they haven't.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You could also make a lot of different films in a western setting.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Lobok posted:

I don't really buy the comparison with westerns. Not only were they a certain genre but they also had a particular setting and era and technology, etc. When people are talking about the superhero trend or bubble nowadays they're really only referring to Marvel and DC dominance. But those characters can make for all kinds of different movies. And not only have we had comic book movies for far longer than the post-X-Men era, we've had movies about characters with superhuman abilities for even longer than that.

Yeah. It's kind of like saying "I want people to get tired of action movies with superpowers".

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FreudianSlippers posted:

You could also make a lot of different films in a western setting.

There's a popular comic book character in Italy, Tex Willer. Unfortunately the one film adaptation of his comic sucks rear end, but it was basically about this cowboy Tex Willer travelling around the wild west hunting down Lovecraftian cultists and evil wizards and other weird stuff (like the pen and paper RPG Deadlands), it owned.

Anyway given Italian film industry's ability to latch onto and mash-up and rip off anything in the late 70s and throughout the 80s, I was always sad that movie sucked so bad since it would have been cool to have had that spawn a batch of spaghetti horror westerns in the 80s.

In modern times though I'm sure Cowboys and Aliens and Jonah Hex completely destroyed any notion of anything like that happening though. I mean for real how do you gently caress up a movies with such dead simple premises that badly.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Timby posted:

Not just the brand, but the tribalism as well. People feel an obligation to go see whatever Marvel shits out.

I go to them because I like superheroes and have been wanting to see live action comic books since the 1960s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

In modern times though I'm sure Cowboys and Aliens and Jonah Hex completely destroyed any notion of anything like that happening though. I mean for real how do you gently caress up a movies with such dead simple premises that badly.

Cowboys and Aliens was one of those weird "We wrote a comic book to make a movie" things and I think "Jonah Hex" was supposed to be R rated at some point but then got cut to PG-13 because Warner or DC freaked about an R rating for reasons that I'm hazy on.