Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's truly an absurdity that we already grant these rights to people with some jobs, but not programmer man at google.
perhaps a poor choice of examples to defend tho because police fall on the unfortunate side of protections to the point where they literally murder people with no cause and get to keep their job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Somfin posted:

The wording is 'activities or affiliations.' Speech and belief ain't included.

In other words, "You can be part of a union on your own time, and if they strike we can't explicitly fire you for joining in, but don't start agitating on the clock."

Damore kept shoving his memo in front of everyone and eventually someone on one of the bigger internal networks saw it and showed it around.

E: And now he's become a pawn in a game to hurt Google's stock price.

activities has been interpreted broadly (from the small amount of effort I put in to checking this out) so writing a memorandum and circulating it may be covered. the memorandum was written in response to feedback to a diversity training summit they had. later he was sent to another where he raised the same thing. not to say i think he'll win the case; i don't know the law, but if there's uncertainty i imagine it'll come down to the judge's personal views

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i hope he loses just because he’ll be completely hosed. torpedoing your career can work out if you get a big enough settlement to live off for the rest of your life but if you lose then you’re just that: hosed.

CAN NOT PUKE
Nov 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I so t like to speak of other people appearance but is this gentleman’s nose something that would need to come up like would the nudge need to tell the jury not to spend undue time discussing his nose or anything

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Somfin posted:

In other words, "You can be part of a union on your own time, and if they strike we can't explicitly fire you for joining in, but don't start agitating on the clock."

Damore kept shoving his memo in front of everyone and eventually someone on one of the bigger internal networks saw it and showed it around.

lern 2 precedent bootch

speech and belief are in fact included sry

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Somfin posted:

I'm not a lawyer, but that doesn't scan at all. How would you determine an employee's affiliation without their speech? Does everyone have a (D) or (R) attached to their name in HR? Protecting an employee's ability to self-identify as a member of a political party but then saying "if you vocalize any part of that you're vulnerable to punishment and termination" doesn't really read as the intent of the law

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Squashing Machine posted:

I'm not a lawyer, but that doesn't scan at all. How would you determine an employee's affiliation without their speech? Does everyone have a (D) or (R) attached to their name in HR? Protecting an employee's ability to self-identify as a member of a political party but then saying "if you vocalize any part of that you're vulnerable to punishment and termination" doesn't really read as the intent of the law
I bet you can think of some other ways if you work at it, but however a company determines political affiliation, it can't act against an employee merely based on that determination. It can regulate the image, message and harmonious relations of employees while acting on behalf of the company. Pretty plain distinction.

For example, if Bob donated to the Proposition 8 campaign, and coworker Alice refuses to work with him because of that, and the dispute is not public, then the company is within rights to reassign either one or to terminate Alice, or even to summarily terminate Bob, but it can't order Bob to repudiate his affiliation with Proposition 8 and fire him for refusing.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 13, 2018

CAN NOT PUKE
Nov 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Attorney: And would it be fair to say that geppetto was surprised when you turned into a real boy?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

firing someone should require winning a court case no matter what

Considering how devastating being fired is to ones livelihood and the fact that companies are sharing employee info and give fired people a bad rep this really should be the case.

At least until we have a safety net worth a drat.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

what the gently caress is it with google republican crybabies and having the grossest loving grease-soaked hair

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

BexGu posted:

Like take the time to read the civil suit. There is some real funny poo poo in there.

what the gently caress lmbo

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
imo, if you put in a court filing that "saying there's bias against women" is equivalent to "raping a helicopter", the judge should be legally required to execute you by firing squad

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Also the bits in the lawsuit where Damore's lawyer made it clear that all of the diversity stuff Damore complains about was optional and he just wanted in so that he would be better positioned for advancement.

Like, he chose to go to those things. He made that decision; that was his own loving fault.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

"raping a helicopter"

Tonight, on a very special Air Wolf

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

"raping a helicopter"

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

cannot pake posted:

I so t like to speak of other people appearance but is this gentleman’s nose something that would need to come up like would the nudge need to tell the jury not to spend undue time discussing his nose or anything

the same women who mocked his nose now complain about his incel memos

:goonsay:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

imo, if you put in a court filing that "saying there's bias against women" is equivalent to "raping a helicopter", the judge should be legally required to execute you by firing squad

Have the trial moved to Utah so the firing squad could be legally used

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Somfin posted:

Also the bits in the lawsuit where Damore's lawyer made it clear that all of the diversity stuff Damore complains about was optional and he just wanted in so that he would be better positioned for advancement.

Like, he chose to go to those things. He made that decision; that was his own loving fault.

Idk there's "optional" but still required to advance just like Japan does.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
google fired jimmy because no one really wanted to work with him after he said some retard poo poo and then defended it by hopping on Milo's dick so he deserves his tour on the fame train.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Trials are expensive and often companies will just pay out 30-40% of their estimated costs in a settlement, so sexist google guy may get some scratch.

also im calling it now that he still has google stock and if the lawsuit fails will do poo poo like show up on shareholders calls to "debate"

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hoping he gets mowed down by an alphabet robot car, and his final moments are immortalised on Google Street view.

His nose makes a sad clown honk as the tyres pass over it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 13, 2018

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Lol at all the goons itt unironically defending this dipshit.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Sorry, I meant "logically confuting their overtly emotional opponents with their cool and pragmatic rationality".

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
im not illogical, i'm not illogical! i yell as i slowly shrink and transform into a fox news analyst

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
marxism is good therefore google did the right thing

facts a re racist/sexist

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
So can we say that diversity seminars are definitively ineffective?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Split Pea Superman posted:

Something tells me he wasn't paying all that much attention

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

lamo if you think things like diversity seminars and implicit bias workshops are about anything more about feelgoodism and legal liability

CAN NOT PUKE
Nov 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

just another posted:

lamo if you think things like diversity seminars and implicit bias workshops are about anything more about feelgoodism and legal liability

They are about more. They’re about making millenials think “My coworkers are my family”

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

the workshops made this idiot really angry so they seem pretty effective to me

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

It's really hard to get a useful message across because the trainer needs to be familiar with both their own message and the opposing message of the right, and those who choose to become trainers rarely have the latter. also any training that fetishizes "attribute diversity" as an inherent good fails immediately for mystifying the problem at hand

PS lol that the plaintiffs voluntarily stuck their phalluses in a beehive and now complain that they got stung

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Yo does this retard James Damore not realize that wanting more of one gender in a field also helps men? It's easier for a man to get a job in certain school districts because it's a predominantly female field.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

It's really hard to get a useful message across because the trainer needs to be familiar with both their own message and the opposing message of the right, and those who choose to become trainers rarely have the latter. also any training that fetishizes "attribute diversity" as an inherent good fails immediately for mystifying the problem at hand

PS lol that the plaintiffs voluntarily stuck their phalluses in a beehive and now complain that they got stung

the one i got a bay area tech company was pretty good. they focused on being like "Yes, you can joke with your friends" but gave a bunch of heuristics like "if you've never been to someone's home for dinner, maybe don't make a sex joke"

it sounds silly but i thought they did a good job not just going "don't gently caress your subordinates don't touch women ok legal says if you do bad things we're clear"

this was *not* google however

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
imo the framing of workplace inclusion with the language of attribute diversity is a wrong turn. If the goal is inclusion then talk about inclusion

ananci
Dec 19, 2010
In retrospect chosing to bitch about :smuggo: womenz and their biological difference making them less able likely to be in tech jobs :smuggo: is pretty smart. So sure, I'll buy it, the reason that women make up ~50% of the population but only ~20% of tech jobs is related to their vaginas. Pure simple math.

So why is it that Black or African American people make up ~12% of the US population but only ~4% of the tech jobs? Hispanic folk make up ~17% of the population but only ~4% are in tech jobs? I've been to a couple of diversity seminars in corporate, tech jobs and I gotta say they do spend a lot of time talking about how you shouldn't trample on the poor, vagina having women. But they also spend a chunk of time about how you shouldn't be a racist dick to your coworkers. Most of the ones I've attended were about being aware of your biases in hiring and promotions and less about welcoming helicoptor dicked dragonkins. But I make have just gotten lucky there. I just can't figure out why it would be that a person would chose a target like women's diversity efforts to discuss :biotruths: about instead of one of these other statistics. It's almost as if the argument only works as long as everyone pretends to ignore all the other statistics about underrepresented groups in tech roles and/or... no... surely no one would be sexist or racist and hide it would they?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We should just nationalize Google.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

COMRADES posted:

We should just nationalize Google.

too late in-q-tel sold their shares

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Irom posted:

marxism is good therefore google did the right thing

facts a re racist/sexist

Noted hotbed of marxism, silicone valley

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
time tofuck the choppa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Limited evidence so far but iirc there are a few papers suggesting diversity training makes people more likely to discriminate not less

• Locked thread