Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Tallgeese posted:

DS2 had the best poise system.

Because you could say "gently caress you" to all of it by wearing a ring.

DS1 had the very worst system that made it so way too many people wore Hollow Soldier Waistcloth.

I have to respect old crazy powerful DS1 poise, because it was the best working with laggy p2p connections.
DS1 poise-weight optimisation can die in a gutter.

Though it was unconfirmed rumour, i still like to imagine DS1 with DS3 engine enemies and encounter designs. Balder Knights in Parish with infinite combos and then the Black Knight show up for funsies...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
DS1 poise was garbage mostly because it made the whole backstab meta actually viable. If you brought it back into ds3 youd get that again where people just poise through your attacks to get to your back for a stab. So if you like backstabs being the main attack then sure bring back DS1 poise.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i restatted and these giant doors are hilarious, i ate a bunch of gael's attacks as a sunbro

e: i think i got summoned to NG+ gael, host summoned 3 phantoms and gael had like 200k health and was oneshotting people (we all had tears up). i think someone was using pestilent mercury but i don't know what the graphic for that looks like, did a poo poo ton of damage though

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 13, 2018

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Still looking to do some early trades for a new character. Steam name same as SA name for anyone intrested.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Iretep posted:

DS1 poise was garbage mostly because it made the whole backstab meta actually viable. If you brought it back into ds3 youd get that again where people just poise through your attacks to get to your back for a stab. So if you like backstabs being the main attack then sure bring back DS1 poise.
You don't even need ds1 poise, instant backstabs would mean if you ever swing a big dumb weapon vs. someone who knows what they're doing, you get backstabbed. Right now in ds3, you can only get roll backstabbed if you swing twice in a row, and it's harder for them to do timing wise because they need to roll a bit early to have time for the backstab to connect.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

IronicDongz posted:

one of the foundational features of the entire series is that people can come into your game unexpectedly and attack you

OK, but... is it really though?

I've seen similar stuff said in plenty of articles and deep dives about the series, but I wouldn't call invasions 'foundational' at all. Depending on how you approach playing Souls I can see why they might be a big part of the appeal, especially for more advanced players, but invasions have essentially nothing to do with why I play the series, which is entirely for the single-player. I find the consensual PVP boring and the semi-consensual invasions at best tedious and at worst frustrating. Plus I get the poo poo kicked out of me 100% of the time because whoever is invading is always better at PVP than me because I don't give a gently caress about it and they do.

I know this isn't everyone's experience, and most people still posting in a DS3 thread this long after release will obviously be significantly more interested in multi than your average Souls player, but I'd posit that most people who play Dark Souls to any degree don't give a huge poo poo about invasions and basically wouldn't care in the slightest if they were removed. That figure increasing to nearly 100% of players new to the series. They don't contribute much to game progression or difficulty (I'd even argue that they run counter to the rest of Souls' ideas about designed, surmountable difficulty, since they essentially introduce the possibility that you'll just randomly encounter some Souls expert who you have no realistic chance of defeating).

I'm not saying invasions are a bad idea or anything, but I don't think they're 'foundational'. They're not some immovable lynchpin of the series without which it falls apart. They're just an added multiplayer element with which many players don't even engage.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
these games wouldnt get replayed as often if it didnt have have invasions and co-op in it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

...! posted:

From is saying that the upcoming Dark Souls 1 remaster will use the Dark Souls 3 engine. That should be... interesting. Already have some idiots griping about that ruining the purity of the game and other nonsense.

Personally I just want them to do something about the ridiculous matchmaking. It's pretty much impossible to play DS1 online anymore because of the constant invasions from unkillable assholes who have nothing better to do with their time. Getting invaded repeatedly by assholes who can one-shot you and whose HP you can't even dent gets old pretty fast.

Edit: To be clear: I love the invasion system itself. I invaded non-stop in DS3. The difference is that in DS3 the invadee has a chance of winning. But something is very very off about the matchmaking in DS1 that lets you be invaded by people who shouldn't be able to.

That has nothing to do with the matchmaking. Out of all the games, DS1 invasion matchmaking is probably the fairest, because it's -10% to infinity, as I recall. So you can invade someone slightly (like by one or two levels) lower leveled than you, or literally any at a higher level. So greatest opportunity for invasions while also making it fair.

The issue is that there's a lot of ways to accumulate strength while being at a low level. The so-called twinking. Maxed out elemental weapons being a big one of course, but even just winning invasions will make you significantly stronger than most players. The defense boost from having 99 liquid humanity will make you nigh invulnerable to most casual players until around Anor Londo.

And even beyond that, the somewhat open-ended nature of the game, especially what with how it handles weapon upgrades, also causes a potentially massive power imbalance. Weapon upgrade levels are super crucial for having good damage output, and they're gated very linearly along the game's core progression path with the placement of the blacksmith embers. So if you're going through the game in an odd way, and thus not picking up those embers as early as possible, you end up massively weaker than potential invaders who are just playing through the game normally. I ran into that when stream sniping in DS1 the other day. The character I used was just a regular character I had been playing through with some years back, no OP bullshit, no heavy armor, just a +5 large club, and yet the people I invaded did very little damage to me. Purely because they hadn't upgraded their weapons all that much. That didn't affect their ability to progress through the single player, but it did affect their invasion experience.

So yeah, it's the balancing that causes that issue, not the matchmaking itself.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Invasions were there since demons souls and continue to be a feature of every single Soulsborne game ever made

By definition it's a foundational aspect of the series. That's how that word works

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Faux Mulder posted:

OK, but... is it really though?
yeah

just because you avoid it doesn't mean it's not a massive part of the series

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Invaders aren't an insurmountable challenge though. You might not be able to beat every invader every time, but how is that different from any other encounter in the game?

And yeah I'd say it's a foundational aspect of the game because it's the risk you accept when you go human, presumably to summon phantoms for help. If you remove that the game would change significantly. It would be too drat easy if you could just summon more people without having to worry about another human invading your world to gently caress your poo poo up.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

IronicDongz posted:

yeah

just because you avoid it doesn't mean it's not a massive part of the series

OK, but you didn't say 'massive', you said 'foundational'. Would Demons Souls and Dark Souls not have done well without the invasion mechanic? Would Dark Souls 1 not have been one of the most important games of that generation if people didn't occasionally spawn in and kick gently caress out of new players?

Fister Roboto posted:

Invaders aren't an insurmountable challenge though. You might not be able to beat every invader every time, but how is that different from any other encounter in the game?

And yeah I'd say it's a foundational aspect of the game because it's the risk you accept when you go human, presumably to summon phantoms for help. If you remove that the game would change significantly. It would be too drat easy if you could just summon more people without having to worry about another human invading your world to gently caress your poo poo up.

That's a good point - I only really ever summon help for boss battles near the fog doors, and not to help with overworld stuff, so I guess I'm less exposed to invasions as a consequence.

(and for all intents and purposes invasions are an insurmountable challenge for me since as I said I lose every time).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Faux Mulder posted:

OK, but you didn't say 'massive', you said 'foundational'. Would Demons Souls and Dark Souls not have done well without the invasion mechanic? Would Dark Souls 1 not have been one of the most important games of that generation if people didn't occasionally spawn in and kick gently caress out of new players?
In my opinion, the games would not be nearly as good without invasions. Opening your world to coop also opening your world to a pvp invader is the single most interesting gameplay idea in the series.

If invasions are insurmountable for you, you should try staying near your coop partner and pressing R1. I don't mean to be rude, but having even a single extra person on your side gives you such a massive advantage in these games, and ds3 invasion matchmaking heavily favors hosts with summons. When a host has phantoms with them, they can do extremely unsafe things and not get punished for it, because if the invader moves in to do so they'll get hit by the other person spamming UGS R1's right next to the host. Meanwhile, the invader has to play close to perfect to not get demolished... and none of this is taking into account the way that hosts get 30% extra HP, and double the estus of phantoms. Surviving invaders has never ever been easier than in ds3.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 13, 2018

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

IronicDongz posted:

In my opinion, the games would not be nearly as good without invasions. Opening your world to coop also opening your world to a pvp invader is the single most interesting gameplay idea in the series.

Yeah, on reflection I've never really considered invasions in that framing. They're always just a hassle for no reason with me since I don't summon for co-op. The most interesting ideas for me are in the level and encounter design.

It's cool how this series does stuff for a bunch of different types of player while remaining cohesive.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
If invasions bother you so much, join the Way of Blue.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
What souls games have been released without invasion mechanics? I don't think it's a stretch to say that from sees them as essential to the experience

But yeah they do allow for quite a bit of flexibility in that regard

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bloodborne lol

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Ehh lovely and limited invasions are still invasions

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Sakurazuka posted:

Bloodborne lol

Good one. :golfclap:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Faux Mulder posted:

I find the consensual PVP boring and the semi-consensual invasions at best tedious and at worst frustrating.

Sometimes invaders (or invadees) do tedious stuff that can't be fun for anyone involved, but the creative things that people do, and the crazy stuff that emerges naturally, are some of the most memorable experiences I've had in over 20 years of playing video games. Just seeing what happens is way more important than winning or losing. There's something special about spontaneous teamwork and simultaneous identical gestures between players who have no way of communicating with each other aside from gameplay that's just different from other games in a way that's hard to describe.

Unless you're trying to grind covenant items for achievements, that makes it way less fun, especially when you've been waiting ages for an auto-summon.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Faux Mulder posted:

That's a good point - I only really ever summon help for boss battles near the fog doors, and not to help with overworld stuff, so I guess I'm less exposed to invasions as a consequence.

(and for all intents and purposes invasions are an insurmountable challenge for me since as I said I lose every time).

You’re confusing something being foundational, and something being the game ”could have done well without” hth

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Bleck posted:

If invasions bother you so much, join the Way of Blue.
please do join way of blue so I can kill the useless blues who don't level vig and get 2 estus charges back :chome:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Calling invasions an insurmountable challenge because you, personally, are bad at them is kind of silly, because Iudex Gundyr is an insurmountable challenge for a lot of players. You can't say that Dark Souls is all about surmountable challenges and then say that you could easily remove the challenges that you can't beat.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
something you can compleatly ignore cant be a insurmountable challenge.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Fister Roboto posted:

Calling invasions an insurmountable challenge because you, personally, are bad at them is kind of silly, because Iudex Gundyr is an insurmountable challenge for a lot of players. You can't say that Dark Souls is all about surmountable challenges and then say that you could easily remove the challenges that you can't beat.
I mean also in most places you can just run to the boss fog door and there's literally nothing the invader can do to stop you, if you really don't want to fight them

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I don't think many people are calling for invasions to be removed. Just revised as twinking really was a problem for DS1. It's outright impossible for new players to kill invaders with max weapons, armor, pyro flames, and 99 humanity. Without the use of gravity. The easy solution is just to go through the undead burg in hollow form to avoid it.

DS2 & 3 went out of their way to try and avoid this from happening again, even if their fixes were terrible.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
soul memory is a lame fix, but there's nothing wrong with ds3's weapon upgrade matchmaking.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

As I've said before, the idea of invasions is cool, but the execution has consistently been pretty inept. I think DS2 got the closest with Soul Memory (although it was still a bad system for its stated goals). Realistically, you need an ilvl system, some kind of restriction on equipment swapping during invasions, and dedicated servers to make them not consistently feel like bullshit on either end.

IronicDongz posted:

soul memory is a lame fix, but there's nothing wrong with ds3's weapon upgrade matchmaking.

The weapon upgrade matchmaking isn't bad. DS3's problems lie much, much more with the phantom system which, when combined with the Estus restrictions, pushes invaders into doing cheesy loving one-hit builds as the only solution.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Invading is fine in ds3. You are at a big disadvantage, and must use the level and your gear smartly to win. That's good! If you want something more fair you can hang out in undead matches. Invasions are for when you want to be the underdog, but win via being better than your opponents. My ideal invasion is when I'm against 3 people, so they have a huge advantage, but they'll all bad(happens pretty often because you don't become good playing like that).

Why do you want a restriction on equipment swapping during invasions? That's one of the best things about it. Using stuff like silvercat ring to escape, swapping to estus ring to get the most healing out of the recharges you get from phantoms, hiding with obscuring ring and pestering people with a greatbow when they camp around a bonfire to get them to play the level, etc.

It's also definitely not required to do high damage oneshot builds. Not that those even work against people who actually level vig. Y'all need to watch more saint_riot

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

Invading is fine in ds3. You are at a big disadvantage, and must use the level and your gear smartly to win. That's good!

It isn't when the only effective builds for invading involve outrageous burst combos to deal with 3 people trying to annihilate you all at once. That's the fundamental issue with the phantom system of DS3: it encourages degenerate builds to try and level the playing field.

quote:

Why do you want a restriction on equipment swapping during invasions?

The basic idea is that, if you use an ilvl system to give as equal a playing field as possible, you have to restrict the gear that people can swap out, or else use a weird averaging system for all of the gear you have in your inventory. I think weapon matchmaking is close, but, especially in DS3, you can gain a pretty significant advantage in percentile reduction by getting later, upgraded armor (like the Faraam armor), or by bringing in spells that otherwise wouldn't be accessible at that stage in the game. You could probably allow the swapping of things like rings, although I still dislike poo poo like Hornet Ring swapping because of the massive advantage it gives to people willing to invest the hundreds of hours necessary to get the muscle memory for it down pat.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Vermain posted:

It isn't when the only effective builds for invading involve outrageous burst combos to deal with 3 people trying to annihilate you all at once. That's the fundamental issue with the phantom system of DS3: it encourages degenerate builds to try and level the playing field.

The basic idea is that, if you use an ilvl system to give as equal a playing field as possible, you have to restrict the gear that people can swap out, or else use a weird averaging system for all of the gear you have in your inventory. I think weapon matchmaking is close, but, especially in DS3, you can gain a pretty significant advantage in percentile reduction by getting later, upgraded armor (like the Faraam armor), or by bringing in spells that otherwise wouldn't be accessible at that stage in the game.

good thing not a single thing here is true or it'd be a bummer. thankfully ds3 invasions are almost perfect

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

good thing not a single thing here is true or it'd be a bummer. thankfully ds3 invasions are almost perfect

Nah.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vermain posted:

It isn't when the only effective builds for invading involve outrageous burst combos to deal with 3 people trying to annihilate you all at once.
good thing that that's not true then

again, watch more people who are good at this. saint riot invades gank squads with stuff like his purposefully lovely vampire hunter build and wins pretty frequently, because people who play with phantoms all the time are almost always poo poo

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Iretep posted:

Bring back poise

Don't bring back backstabs

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I've said it before and I'll say it again

you won't want ds1 poise when you run into a havelmom using a buffed estoc

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
We can only hope that they arbitrarily port DkS3 mechanics so full havels is also fastroll and benefits from DWGR

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Yeah I like the DS3 system the best. Even if the odds are stacked against the invader. That's how it should be anyway.

It's tough but you can win against people with 2 or 3 phantoms, if they're just playing through the level. Gankers are tough to deal with, but even they're beatable sometimes because they are usually idiots.

It is extremely annoying how easy it is for people to roll spam and resummon when you kill their phantoms though.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

good thing that that's not true then

again, watch more people who are good at this.

I watched Oroboro for the first two or three months of release and it looked absolutely miserable for anyone not running purely optimized builds, and the general consesus at the time was that you went Gotthard's or bust. Did they change invasion mechanics at all during that time?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Looks like it's confirmed that DS remastered will use the exact same engine as the original, no DS3 tweaks

I think anyone who is vaguely familiar with how from soft works (or what remaster means) would realize that it was a stupid sounding rumor to begin with, don't expect anything more than what DSfix can already achieve

No idea why that rumor got so much steam because it set off my bullshit alarms instantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Also DS2 pvp is best pvp, it felt balanced enough and was a fun game of trying to read each other's moves and react accordingly

No roll spam bullshit