Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I only throw down for bling on ships I intend to keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

osirisisdead posted:

I only throw down for bling on ships I intend to keep.

Lol if you don’t have 3 of every ship in your fleet while posting on the official forums about how people shouldn’t be able to fly an anaconda in just 50 hours of game time. That’s the real Elite gameplay.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sorry, I didn't spend a thousand hours literally only hauling poo poo from Sothis back to the bubble so I could flop my e-penis around and weakly fap while I imagine that other people were salty about my internet space ship prowess.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

osirisisdead posted:

Sorry, I didn't spend a thousand hours literally only hauling poo poo from Sothis back to the bubble so I could flop my e-penis around and weakly fap while I imagine that other people were salty about my internet space ship prowess.

It’s too late, I’ve already contacted frontier support and told them you might be enjoying the game. :(

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I literally caught up on cleaning and podcasts while making a billion credits in this game. Imho it is working as intended.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is this real? Those ships cost so much and you can just sneak aboard someone’s and kill them to steal it?

Yes.
When you enter a base and dismount from the ship you must close it. When you get back you should check nobody followed you or stowed away.

There's an insurance system and you must insure your ship to have it replaced (and yes, there is a form of anti insurance fraud system). But even for starter packages (that is sold jpegs) lifetime for insurance is not eternal (unless you pledged in 2012).

Blind Rasputin posted:

Honestly elite dangerous won the fight a long long time ago. It will just keep (very slowly) getting better too.

Hell yeah same.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

limaCAT posted:

I'm Chris Roberts ama
Why did you desert?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Blind Rasputin posted:

I literally caught up on cleaning and podcasts while making a billion credits in this game. Imho it is working as intended.

as someone who is just getting to the 15m credit mark and who needs to clean the house, how can I do this?

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

the milk machine posted:

as someone who is just getting to the 15m credit mark and who needs to clean the house, how can I do this?

Probably the Parutis <-> Medb passenger missions. Load up economy cabins, fill them with passengers in Parutis and jump next door to Medb, then supercruise for 35 minutes to Evans station.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Which elite ranking is fastest to max out? I want one so I have one station I can do all my equipping at.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Hey, protip: you can use your Steam Wallet in the FDev store, so save up your trading cards, sell them all during a seasonal sale, then use the couple bucks to get yo'self some purple lasers or a :sicknasty: jumpsuit!

Gort posted:

Which elite ranking is fastest to max out? I want one so I have one station I can do all my equipping at.

Ironically for me, I think it's the first one I set out to do and the last one I've got to complete: exploration.

Gotta make an :effort: trip soon and get that last 100m...

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I'm a page late, but... I do want space legs, so I can walk around the spaceships I've already spent so much time and had so many adventures in. It's not a terribly useful gameplay element, but so is like half the poo poo Frontier implements. How many thousands of dev hours went into battledome and power play; I'd gladly trade them both for a chance to gaze out the galley window of my freighter.

That said, I get why lots of people don't care about space legs. That's a valid opinion too.

That that said, if you're IRL mad about the issue either way, maybe quit being an insufferable large adult son

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I'd much rather see flyable atmospheric planets/gas giants/photospheres before space legs.

It's a spaceship flying game. Give me more poo poo to fly around in my loving spaceship in.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

tooterfish posted:

I'd much rather see flyable atmospheric planets/gas giants/photospheres before space legs.

It's a spaceship flying game. Give me more poo poo to fly around in my loving spaceship in.

Id much rather see proper missions linked with a full blown interactive narrative than either

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
the world is ready for Escape Velocity: Nova 2

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

the milk machine posted:

Grind up to ~25million doing whatever then go grab: This Ship You can drop the shield for another economy cabin if you're confident in your flying.

And run either Parutis -> MedB OR Upsilon Aquarri -> LTT 9360 bulk economy passengers. Payout scales based on distance from star which is why those pay ~1m credits per head.
iirc Parutis was in lockdown last I checked and the UA -> LTT one pays slightly more.

For both Parutis and UA you want to try and get all of the minor factions reputations up as fast as possible. So after your first run start using that money to do as many donation missions for them in between board flipping for filling up your hold of passengers. Higher reputation gives more and higher paying missions/passengers which quickly makes up for all the money spent bribing them.

With money rolling in you can swap to an Anaconda for maximum sardine passengers and then use the funds from that to fund whatever your heart desires. I'd personally suggest a Python for general running about.

E: You'll want to have a cargo rack tucked away at the other side where you turn in passengers for the dumb missions that give you extra useless rewards. Or just drop a small cabin for a rack if you don't want to fiddle with outfitting.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 13, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

To be honest, I kind of hope that poo poo is coming in Q4 with the exploration-upgrades of Beyond. Atmospheric planets and all that crap sound like it would be perfect for that.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

the milk machine posted:

Yeah, it’s the parutis—>medb stuff people have posted above. Just do it. At first you will not have the most missions available due to ranking so just pick up the economy “x number of passengers/rebels/whatever seek transport” and the “some person is seeking transport” the latter ones are not as profitable but will get your rank up fast to unlock more of the former. Avoid passengers that say they are “wanted in multiple systems.” I would often switch from solo to open twice and then fly over to the other big station in parutis and do the same board flipping to rack up as many missions as possible. Do not be afraid to cancel a crap mission to pick up a better one.

Once your hold is full you just warp to medb and sit in supercruise for 37 minutes. It is extremely good and easy money. I believe i got interdicted maybe three times total and always very near the medb station, it is not a worry in deep space. After four runs in a ship with about 120 passenger hold I was making 70 mil to >150mil a run. Also it will very quickly get you to elite trader rank, which unlocks Jameson Memorial station. I just did it for two- three days over the weekend while studying and don’t ever have to worry about money again in this game.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
Parutis is in lockdown.
Try Corycia

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

tooterfish posted:

Totally. Atmospheric landings are the #1 coolest thing they could add to the game at this point. :pervert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Welp, I've run face first into :frontear: - shittyness. After spending three weeks trying to complete a long-range explorer mission, the mission insta-fails as soon as I dock. Apparently that one second I was too late means the entire work we did thousands of light years away was worthless.

Well, thanks Frontier! Time to never do this again.

Seriously, I can't believe that poo poo? Who thought this was good design? Not even a single minute extension, just gently caress you for playing, good bye.

After this experience, I can only suggest to every explorer who has to work and can't play 24/7 to never touch these kinds of missions. As soon as you see a destination thousands of light years away, just ignore that mission.

The worst part for me? When Frontier introduced these missions, I thought they would be a fun addition! What would be better then carrying around explorers while you're exploring yourself? But stuff like this just drains me. A game should be fun, gently caress it. :(

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Missions have always required planning and foresight. That's how the game works. I lost count of how many missions I've failed, dude. Please tell me you rolled out with an ADS so you at least get that? I started deep space exploration before there even were passengers... So those missions will always feel like icing on the cake. I take them because they were crowdsourced from players who were already exploring all over, which is a really loving cool thing. The money is a bonus, but it's not why I do it. It's actually a form of player interaction if you think about it.

Also @Trustworthy, CQC is rad when you can find other people to play with. The only problem is that there isn't critical mass for pubbie matchmaking so it takes metagame organization to get enough people logged in at the same time for a good game. I hope the squadrons update has some stuff to make CQC matches easier to organize.

edit: edited

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 13, 2018

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Libluini posted:

Welp, I've run face first into :frontear: - shittyness. After spending three weeks trying to complete a long-range explorer mission, the mission insta-fails as soon as I dock. Apparently that one second I was too late means the entire work we did thousands of light years away was worthless.

Well, thanks Frontier! Time to never do this again.

Seriously, I can't believe that poo poo?

Yes? You were on a timer and you didn't make it. It's not a shocking new concept that has never been done before. :shrug:
I'm rather wondering the opposite: what games are there that accept that you're late when you have been given a definitive deadline?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Sometimes you get a grace period for a limited payout if you are late. It might have to do with faction influence.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'll be the guy that says, "That sucks, man." And that you should have, by all rights, been met at the dock by the mission dispensing agent chuckling and rubbing his or her hands just after returning a pocketwatch to an inner garment.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

doctorfrog posted:

I'll be the guy that says, "That sucks, man." And that you should have, by all rights, been met at the dock by the mission dispensing agent chuckling and rubbing his or her hands just after returning a pocketwatch to an inner garment.

Thanks, that was a bitter lesson to learn, I guess. I've spend three weeks, almost 30 hours of play- and planning time into this little trip. Failing just after docking, just because the mission board took a couple seconds too long to load, that's a dumb way to end this.

And I think there maybe should have been an extension? The way the game told me I failed was rather dumb: Nothing until the very moment the mission board opened, then I got three messages simultaneously. First, a message that time was running out and I should hurry. Second, a message that the mission was completed. Third, a message that the mission was cancelled. Kind of confusing, I'm not really sure that was even supposed to happen this way.

I'll probably sleep on it and file a bug report tomorrow. :shrug:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hard deadlines are for missions that take maybe 10 minutes to find out if you failed and have an easy route to a retry or equivalent replacement. That doesn't scale up to three weeks.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah a few minutes seems a little harsh.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Honky Dong Country posted:

Yeah a few minutes seems a little harsh.

I mean, he got the deadline when he took the mission. He had a countdown timer at his disposal for literal IRL weeks. Poor planning or time management isn't the game's fault...?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've heard that FDev support is pretty cool about stuff like this.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Trustworthy posted:

I mean, he got the deadline when he took the mission. He had a countdown timer at his disposal for literal IRL weeks. Poor planning or time management isn't the game's fault...?

I'm well aware this is halfway my fault. I mean it's not like I didn't know what I was getting into: I knew how long space exploration other thousands of light years can take, I knew Frontier was the kind of dev who thought 48 hours for 60k light years was doable (they only recently extended the timer to three weeks, in the beginning it was literally two days), so I should have expected bugs and timer fuckery.

In the future I know just not to take them. It's too bad, but it's like with playing other broken games like Master of Orion 3, you have to learn to work around the weak points to get your fun

osirisisdead posted:

I've heard that FDev support is pretty cool about stuff like this.

I don't really want to bother the support for only a paltry 4 million. I'll file a bug report, and then I think I'll stop exploring for a while to shoot things.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Libluini posted:

I don't really want to bother the support for only a paltry 4 million. I'll file a bug report, and then I think I'll stop exploring for a while to shoot things.

Bother support so they can see that mission design like this is unpopular and produces tickets they have to deal with.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Between this game and Planet Coaster I get the feeling that Frontier makes good/fun games entirely by accident and has zero idea how to do proper scenario/mission design.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's such a little thing, but are there any combat ships with similar reverse thruster placement as the Type 6? Seeing the exhaust as you slow down in that is cool.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Trustworthy posted:

Flights that long shouldn't have deadlines down to the minute. It'd be far more appropriate for the passenger to say "I need to be back by this date."

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Honky Dong Country posted:

Flights that long shouldn't have deadlines down to the minute. It'd be far more appropriate for the passenger to say "I need to be back by this date."

Or even "This is when I want to arrive, I'll dock your pay based on lateness". It's easy to budget out 20 minutes of time for a salvage mission or whatever but this is something else.

I'm trying to imagine another game having feast-or-famine missions with that kind of IRL time limit and it's making me scowl reflexively.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The problem with the missions isn't that they've got a deadline, it's that they tick down even when you're not playing.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
The penalties for mission failure are minimal. I'm sorry that your ego can't handle some imaginary failures in an internet spaceship video game.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I see it a little differently, that it would actually be more enjoyable to retain a sting, but make it game-appropriate. The space bureaucrat greets you with a big smile and offers you half of what was promised, with no advance indication that this would happen, letting you know he could simply give you nothing. Just sign here to say you received the whole amount, and I'll pocket the rest.

That in turn could motivate you to do something else in the game, if the game could offer anything else that's meaningful. Like, an offer from a competing faction going, "Hey that really sucked, we wouldn't do that to you. Come work for us." Or "Hey, that guy's flying out on the Mothball in a week, think you can be on time for once for a little assassination?" (I don't expect that from the game in its current form, only illustrating how not responding robotically to the user's frustration could be made interesting.)

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

osirisisdead posted:

The penalties for mission failure are minimal. I'm sorry that your ego can't handle some imaginary failures in an internet spaceship video game.

Could you try not being a condescending prick at every opportunity? Nobody's freaking out, just discussing what would be a better way to handle deadlines.

doctorfrog posted:

I see it a little differently, that it would actually be more enjoyable to retain a sting, but make it game-appropriate. The space bureaucrat greets you with a big smile and offers you half of what was promised, with no advance indication that this would happen, letting you know he could simply give you nothing. Just sign here to say you received the whole amount, and I'll pocket the rest.

That in turn could motivate you to do something else in the game, if the game could offer anything else that's meaningful. Like, an offer from a competing faction going, "Hey that really sucked, we wouldn't do that to you. Come work for us." Or "Hey, that guy's flying out on the Mothball in a week, think you can be on time for once for a little assassination?" (I don't expect that from the game in its current form, only illustrating how not responding robotically to the user's frustration could be made interesting.)

Yeah something dynamic like this would be very good.

• Locked thread