Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

I've played all of 1-6 through to completion, most of 9, some of 12, all of 13 but not its sequels, and I've sunk a frankly embarrassing number of hours into 14

I like Final Fantasy

e: oh also all three tactics games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

:rock:

man this is such a good track

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

tyblazitar posted:

yeah i wasn't being sarcastic, i like RPG runs

same!!

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Worldshatter posted:

Any recommendations?

I liked what I played of 9. I also liked Mystic Quest but I don't know many other people that share that opinion.

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

RoboJoe posted:

We’re awesome wizards indeed.

Also it’s not a date in my case but I’m a lonely lovely person IRL with no friends (seriously) but I made a friend over Christmas at some temporary work I do, and on Monday I’m going to meet her and another friend so I’m going to have a nice day out with people who like me, so that’s progress towards me having a good year for maybe the first time ever rather than a year of loneliness and self-loathing so I’m happy for this :)

hell yeah dude thats great

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

oh yeah I posted this a while back but it got no buried in a hype moment and got no burn, check it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2c06as_7xI

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

lol

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

financially racist posted:

mystic quest is a bad game but it's a bad game i love v:shobon:v

It's not good! But every track is a banger and I liked playing it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Best introductions to the series are probably Final Fantasy 7 and 9.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Okay for fucks sake I have to get caught up and watch MASS EFFECT, DIABLO, WARCRAFT, BALDURS GATE, AND BLOODBORNE?!?

Was the Dark Souls 3 run any good?

Fuuuuck this block sounds like its amazing

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
Great Bale Batman voice

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

lol I love when they sell nothing for tons of cash

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Just play mystic quest, then 6. If you want to journey into the 3D ones, probably 9, then 7. 10 has good combat but is the first game where square really started to go off the rails

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
everything about ffxiii is bad and terrible but this cover is pretty sweet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxchyP5HPKo

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

HonorableTB posted:

Okay for fucks sake I have to get caught up and watch MASS EFFECT, DIABLO, WARCRAFT, BALDURS GATE, AND BLOODBORNE?!?

DS3 has a rought start but it was very very good otherwise

Doctor Tog
Oct 10, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

she stumped a bit on an early skip but after that is was good and cool.

and then she beat pontif and gundy 2.0 blindfolded.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

Dark Souls 3 started off kinda rough but got much better

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Back just in time for FF4, nice.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

HonorableTB posted:

DS3 was good

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
im glad of sonic av man finding romance in his life. where is big jon?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Xenothral posted:

Hell yeah man

If I'm not mistaken, I think it's the very first RPG to use electric guitar in the soundtrack :black101:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

TeaJay posted:

Best introductions to the series [...] Final Fantasy 7

Seven has aged like fried rear end and the translation is virtually impenetrable, maybe this will become true again when the remake comes out but as-is this is a pretty wrong statement

9's pretty good tho

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

beep by grandpa posted:

oh yeah I posted this a while back but it got no buried in a hype moment and got no burn, check it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2c06as_7xI

okay fine I laughed

the god drat camera sounds

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Xenothral posted:

yeah, and there's something nice about playing a jrpg that is short and somewhat lighthearted compared with the usual melodrama associated with the genre

i mean i usually go to smrpg for that, but i play mystic quest over a weekend every couple years and have a time with it

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Worldshatter posted:

Any recommendations?

Kinda depends on what you like. 7 is pretty good. 6 is good if you like 2d jrpgs. I like 10 and 12, but I might be in the minority?

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Brain is giving me depression so I only had a single cracker. I miss anything good?

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

SoftNum posted:

Kinda depends on what you like. 7 is pretty good. 6 is good if you like 2d jrpgs. I like 10 and 12, but I might be in the minority?

12 is good!! I'm kind of excited for Zodiac Age to happen on PC so I can actually play it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SoftNum posted:

i love ff7 but it is not a good game to come into the series in 2018, sorry

6 is prolly the best intro to final fantasy

i loving hated 10 almost as much as 8, in fact i did not even finish 10 (i did push through to the end of 8 out of a false hope that it'd get better)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is FF:MQ music stuck in your head right now? I bet this is the track you're thinking of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOTI8j1egZg

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Letting the commentary wash over me

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
best classic final fantasy is probably Bravely Default tbh

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

RoboJoe posted:

We’re awesome wizards indeed.

Also it’s not a date in my case but I’m a lonely lovely person IRL with no friends (seriously) but I made a friend over Christmas at some temporary work I do, and on Monday I’m going to meet her and another friend so I’m going to have a nice day out with people who like me, so that’s progress towards me having a good year for maybe the first time ever rather than a year of loneliness and self-loathing so I’m happy for this :)

Bro I don't think anyone's hopeless and I'm really happy that you're starting this year off really well. I think we are all able to bond with other like-minded people as long as we're positive and know how to listen to each other and give space/take criticism when needed. Even if poo poo doesn't work out, just treat it as experience for "okay well that didn't work, what can I learn from this and correct it in the future?" cause every success, big or small are borne from failure. What separates the failures and successes are sticking to it and not letting it consume and destroy you. I think law of attraction is super real and honestly since I started running and getting a ton of self confidence and dating I've been attracting people like crazy. The most important life advice I give to anyone is that anything can happen at any time and if you just keep going and don't give up (quitter cynics are losers IMO) then things will get better. Your post def made me smile and made this day of hype even a little bit better so consider me in your corner in hoping that 2018 will be the best year of your life my man. Your post kinda got to me and I'm just firing from the hip here so hopefully this word salad has some value to it, haha:cheers:

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Okay I'll endeavour to give 6 a try. Check back with me next GDQ goons

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

pulp rag posted:

Brain is giving me depression so I only had a single cracker. I miss anything good?

Eat, pulp rag, EAT!

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Dude is essentially cracking a cipher live while playing.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

timp posted:

Is FF:MQ music stuck in your head right now? I bet this is the track you're thinking of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOTI8j1egZg

This is the track I'm always thinking of, at all times, forever.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

i love ff7 but it is not a good game to come into the series in 2018, sorry

Yeah IDK how well 6 has aged tho. 7 does kinda look like a turd but the story is nice and the systems are fun and the characters aren't terrible.

I think 12 is a good into to the series personally but people would probably jump down my throat about that.

Edit: To be clear I'm not sure lots of people want to play 2d jrpgs in 2018 tyool

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah I'd say 6 or 9 are the best intro, 5's also good if you like customization but I suppose it's not super indicative of the rest of the series for the most part.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

@FF chat earlier: Like FF13-3 the best, unironically. FF5 and FFT are good too but basically anything that isn't FFX-2 and involves dress up is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Who is that in the middle commentating?

• Locked thread