Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bruceski posted:

Even with wall protect and shell up, Golem just wipes me out. Earth Shaker just blows right through them, and Savage does too of course. Is there some trick I'm missing?

Elemental resistance accessories.

That means you'll get tagged with interrupts more, but taking 1500 damage AoE is a lot more tolerable than taking 2500, and 2500 is a lot better than 4000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

KataraniSword posted:

Elemental resistance accessories.

That means you'll get tagged with interrupts more, but taking 1500 damage AoE is a lot more tolerable than taking 2500, and 2500 is a lot better than 4000.

With the new greens one, I've got three earth resist and Fenrir to lean on. Also not fun that all my wind damage is physical. Maybe I should just skip him and go on around the circle, see if I have the tools to handle electric or water better,

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Golem is easily the worst of the initial six Magicites (Liquid Flame is a close second), so don't feel bad about taking longer to break through him.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Golem is easily the worst of the initial six Magicites (Liquid Flame is a close second), so don't feel bad about taking longer to break through him.

Yeah, it's just frustrating since I have Bartz, Zack, and Faris and just looking at elements that *should* be a great team for breaking through, but between the damage, the defense and the stoneskin he's strong in everything I'm built to attack. I'm gonna have to look at this and see if I can get around in other ways. Building OK for magic despite having (and using) his pUSB and trying to get good use out of Meltdown could help. Or maybe I have a better hastega user somewhere to bring who stacks with Zack's attack boost, that might outweigh having both critfix and crit damage boost between them.

Hmm, I'll have to poke around my toolbox.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It might also be worth levelling some Magicites too. Enlil (Lightning) and Mom Bomb (Fire) have Attack Boons, while Enkidu/Wing Raptor (Wind) have Wind Boost passives. Enkidu is a great Magicite to have since he also provides an emergency backup heal.

OK doublecasting Meltdowns does help to drive up the chain, but if you don't have the hones to afford it remember that Raging Storms are an alternative (if orb-taxing) way to add a whole bunch of extra damage without the need for a lot of gear.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Bruceski posted:

Even with wall protect and shell up, Golem just wipes me out. Earth Shaker just blows right through them, and Savage does too of course. Is there some trick I'm missing?

Are you equipping earth resist accessories? Try to have moderate or better for everyone.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Eh, Liquid Flame isn't too bad if you realize that his tornado form does no damage except for a low chance to do a single target counter and the most dangerous phase is his human form since Blaze (and Savage Blaze) are AOE %Max HP damage that needs KO resist, not fire resist. You can also mostly neuter his hand form with tauntaliate, since only his counter in that form isn't physical attack. It can be a high variance fight if you get unlucky with counters in his human form or imperil stacks, but it's relatively easy to beat him in a battle of attrition if you have enough BSBs and skill hones to last past the one minute mark.

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, it's just frustrating since I have Bartz, Zack, and Faris and just looking at elements that *should* be a great team for breaking through, but between the damage, the defense and the stoneskin he's strong in everything I'm built to attack. I'm gonna have to look at this and see if I can get around in other ways. Building OK for magic despite having (and using) his pUSB and trying to get good use out of Meltdown could help. Or maybe I have a better hastega user somewhere to bring who stacks with Zack's attack boost, that might outweigh having both critfix and crit damage boost between them.

Hmm, I'll have to poke around my toolbox.

What's are your lightning and water options like? Aside from the Liquid Flame fight, Bismark is also a fairly decent magicite to take on as your first attempt. It doesn't have any imperils, status effects, or special defenses - instead it has fire/ice/lightning attacks in addition to its water attacks. It took me 1:30 the first time, but it was my first magicite, and it was a fairly consistent victory since it doesn't have any mechanics that can ramp the damage up or derail the fight like the other magicites have.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There's also the dampen element magicite passives, but you usually only want to use those if you have nothing better because they're very weak and stack multiplicatively with resistance accessories (which is bad when it comes to damage reduction).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Crazy Larry posted:

Eh, Liquid Flame isn't too bad if you realize that his tornado form does no damage except for a low chance to do a single target counter and the most dangerous phase is his human form since Blaze (and Savage Blaze) are AOE %Max HP damage that needs KO resist, not fire resist. You can also mostly neuter his hand form with tauntaliate, since only his counter in that form isn't physical attack. It can be a high variance fight if you get unlucky with counters in his human form or imperil stacks, but it's relatively easy to beat him in a battle of attrition if you have enough BSBs and skill hones to last past the one minute mark.

What's are your lightning and water options like? Aside from the Liquid Flame fight, Bismark is also a fairly decent magicite to take on as your first attempt. It doesn't have any imperils, status effects, or special defenses - instead it has fire/ice/lightning attacks in addition to its water attacks. It took me 1:30 the first time, but it was my first magicite, and it was a fairly consistent victory since it doesn't have any mechanics that can ramp the damage up or derail the fight like the other magicites have.

I've already got Liquid Flame, Sealion, and Fenrir down. Lightning's definitely my strongest team of the two others, I just haven't put something together yet (and since two of the team would be Kain and Aranea, I'm gonna have to make some copie of Dragoon stuff) and I was used to going around the circle until I hit a wall.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You got some bits of Liquid Flame wrong; Tornado Form doesn't have any counters but does use Savage Firaga (and it becomes more dangerous later into the fight since it starts using it earlier when it shifts into it).

Now that I have better defenses/speed-casting Ray is the only thing that really screws up my runs, but early on when you don't have a lot of firepower Tornado Form can be very aggravating to deal with; past 40% you're rushing to shift it into another phase lest you get another blast of Imperil.

I'd say that Hydra is easier than Bismarck; it hits hard, but only uses one element (Bismarck uses four), and Rush and Maelstrom are easy breathers.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Summoning fenrir magicite for the earth resistance and pBlink is a big help for your first golem kill. You don't see people using it in videos because it's not something you'd use for a sub-30 golem but it makes the damage a lot more manageable

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Two more sub 30 magicites!

Used the same strategy as my Mist Dragon clear, two sources of OSB, one gets fed gauge by Shelke while the other spams an ability with an enelement. OK spammed the Ninja water skills.

The only difference between this and my over -30 team was OK using Chain Thundaga. He's a good little black mage.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PneumonicBook posted:

I went with quick hit/leaping rush because of crystal shortages, it seems okay but when compared to actual dps like cloud/bartz/Tidus its kind of lackluster and makes me think I should just load him up with utility.

I’ve been using him with Dervish after he buffs. It’s not on the level of a USB cloud and Tidus, but it’s a nice little bonus after he does the buff and full break. Before this I was using Rikku who after her USB doesn’t have the ability to do much damage, and she can’t do wrath/entrust either.

His EX mode gives him more damage and cast time and the double cast and increases crit chance means you’re getting Dervish with like, 4 crits and a big attack boost. It double casts too and the cast time stacking buff means he’s popping them out really quickly.

I think the good thing about OK is you can choose to do dervish if you want to but it depends on your team. Entrust and wrath is good too, secondary healer is good too. I’ve already used him with Dervish and Curada

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

You folks have no idea how difficult it was to get that bare clear. This Bahamut was not loving around. :stonk:

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Decided to do a late pull on the the Lucky Draw since I don't actually have much synergy for X or XI and there are always more good FFT relics. Plus after going Arc LMR/11 on the OK banner it can't get worse can it?

2/11 Yuna USB (dupe), Lulu LMR (no other relics for her):doh:

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I've been non stop grinding mithril via realms dungeons since they were put into half price and I just broke 30 today, I'm going to get so hosed as payment for grinding this hard.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
So Onion Knight isn’t super useful until the mid 90s? I only have his first level break, so his max is 65, didn’t know if it’s worthwhile to dump a bunch of eggs into him right now.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

synthetik posted:

So Onion Knight isn’t super useful until the mid 90s? I only have his first level break, so his max is 65, didn’t know if it’s worthwhile to dump a bunch of eggs into him right now.

Do the quests and you can get him up to 80 at least? Don't the top level onion knight quests available in the event take him to 99??

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Nope onion event only gives II. One of the great hunt event bosses (red dragon) gives you a universal III memory lode though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

synthetik posted:

Not only does Onion Knight have dogshit stats until the high 90s (really until max level), he can only use 3* skills until you fill out his 4* spheres. Which you need Onion Knight motes to do. I think they're going to stay in the gyshal exchange forever now, at least.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

ceaselessfuture posted:

Tidus or save. Noctis doesn't have a niche yet and Vaan is good but in a large part because of his ability to debuff while doing damage. Neither are effective in the current meta, especially since you don't have Noctis' SSB.

Bruceski posted:

That was my thought too but wanted to check (you mean debuffs as in breaks rather than status effects, right? It's a shame everything's like 95% resistant because the devs hate fun or something). Is there anything I should be looking at in the dives for support/healer-focused folks or is it just turning strong dps into silver bullets?

can you guys/somebody explain this? 95% breakdown resistant???? what????

i've seen the immune fights but are all the new fights coming out seriously pseudo-immune? "vaan is not effective in the meta" is a big statement. Breakdowns seriously don't work in any new content? Or is this just some stupid hyperbole?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Mirthless posted:

i've seen the immune fights but are all the new fights coming out seriously pseudo-immune? "vaan is not effective in the meta" is a big statement. Breakdowns seriously don't work in any new content? Or is this just some stupid hyperbole?

Hyperbole, in part, but it's pretty bad. Magicite bosses have something like 80% break resistance, so for example Full Break, which normally is a 30% quadbreak, only lowers their atk/mag/def/res by 6%. Almost every boss these days resists breaks for some amount, I don't know if anyone's parsed what "lv.5" means on the new mog advice table, but I haven't seen anyone with break resist lower than that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's 75% for magicite. For comparison, magic breakdown on a 50% resistant boss causes a 18.2% magic damage reduction, while on magicite it's only 9.1%. That's not useless, especially not for bosses with piercing attacks, but probably not worth dedicating a character for it.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

As far as I know, Magicites are the only fights that have that obscene level of break resist. Most standard fights have a smaller resist that's standard across the board, but I don't actually know off the top of my head what the exact number for that is. Basically the only part of the game where supports aren't meta is magicite dungeons.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Mirthless posted:

Vaan is great for any content not called "magicite." Too bad magicite will remain endgame content for at least the next 6+ months at the minimum, then for even longer once the inevitable 5* magicites come.

As to my opinions above, take the commonly-dived Lightning as a counter example. Not only is she great for magicite, she's just as, if not more, effective than a dived Vaan for all other content, since you're diving her with her USB that does NE damage as well.

Vaan will never be able to capitalize on an elemental weakness and will basically be a wasted slot in magicite (except USB > Dash and Slash I guess). Vaan's huge strength is his ability to keep a boss relatively harmless with either his BSB or USB (or both) and Mug Bloodlust, all while throwing out great damage and opening up a party slot for another DPS. Stacking breaks on a magicite boss will maybe get you 10-15% reduction in something, but it's often better just to kill the boss faster with another specialized DPS.

Vaan is really good, but the fact he is NE is a detriment nowadays.

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 14, 2018

RustySporkinmyI
Jan 29, 2006
Morbo can't understand his teleprompter. He forgot how you say that letter that looks like a man with a hat.
Does anyone have any suggestions for the kefkas tower +++ event? I recently came back to the game and I don't have a ribbon or anything like that. Once the status effects hit me I am basically done.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Well, let's make a quick simplified comparison for one SB cycle. Further SB casts / entrusting favor Lightning more.

Lightning:
Elemental damage entry (2,5 second cast)
+50% lightning damage
+30% attack
0,53 second cast for a 3,2 potency 4hit ability

Vaan:
Instant cast entry, lower enemy damage
+30% wind damage
+30% attack
0 second cast for a 3,4 potency 5hit ability (or 3,8 with daggers)

As an Early Sunday Morning Nonsense here's a tier list of my elemental teams.

"Not enough party slots for all these things tier"
Fire

"3 damage dealers with great relics tier"
Lightning
Dark

"2 damage dealers with great relics tier"
Water
Holy
Wind
Earth

"Poison is not an element tier"
Poison

"Where the hell are all my relics tier"
Ice

I'm sure Tiamat is quaking in his boots knowing I'm packing some real cold heat with Rinoa BSB2 as the pinnacle of my frost team. I might need to risk some bad pulls on the VIII banners.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RustySporkinmyI posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for the kefkas tower +++ event? I recently came back to the game and I don't have a ribbon or anything like that. Once the status effects hit me I am basically done.

Get a good fire or holy OSB as your roaming warrior and blow it the gently caress up in two turns. Use mine (YNeM).

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Vaan:
+30% wind damage

:eng101: +30% Thief, which is actually better for Vaan!

He's really good but as you show, he's basically even stevens with Lightning (not counting chaining en-lightning'd USBs together) and loses out against lightning-weak bosses.

The gap closes a bit against a wind-weak boss, but even then.

In other news, reddit nerds made some great threads:

Future Abilties Reference Guide
Future Banners Reference Guide

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

ceaselessfuture posted:

:eng101: +30% Thief, which is actually better for Vaan!

He's really good but as you show, he's basically even stevens with Lightning (not counting chaining en-lightning'd USBs together) and loses out against lightning-weak bosses.

The gap closes a bit against a wind-weak boss, but even then.

In other news, reddit nerds made some great threads:

Future Abilties Reference Guide
Future Banners Reference Guide

That was Lightning vs lit weak and Vaan vs wind weak comparison which is why I said +wind.

So how is that not usable for magicites if it's "even stevens" with Lightning?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

That was Lightning vs lit weak and Vaan vs wind weak comparison which is why I said +wind.

People like looking at LMs or even BSBs for viability. Vaan's kit outside of his USB is built around stacking debuffs - between Thief 6/Support 4 access, a debuff-stacking BSB, a LM2 and OSB that increase damage when the enemy has more debuffs on them.

Lightning with her USB is comparable to Vaan with his USB.

Lightning without her USB (say, with her BSB2 or OSB) still has a potential foothold in magicite fights even with the "not quite the best" kit, whereas Vaan... has suddenly, immediately lost all relevancy for them if you don't have his USB.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Washout posted:

I've been non stop grinding mithril via realms dungeons since they were put into half price and I just broke 30 today, I'm going to get so hosed as payment for grinding this hard.

I got bot his USB! The mace and the sword on this pull. How do I set him up for my newbie team so I can beat the rest of the onion challenges he has only 1000 hp at level 50???

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Ah gotcha. Thought you were comparing neutral.

Well, two things in addition to what Katarani said, one: that's purely damage from DnS as any other damage (lifesiphon, USB entry) will hit for babydamage, and two: Lightning gets the better dive and can start her EnLightning shenanigans at around 6 or 7 seconds.

It's really hard to defend a Vaan dive if purely looking at a min/max scenario and we were trying to pick a potential dive candidate.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Washout posted:

I got bot his USB! The mace and the sword on this pull. How do I set him up for my newbie team so I can beat the rest of the onion challenges he has only 1000 hp at level 50???

:smithmouth: Smash Onion eat the egg.

Short of a lot of eggs you're gonna have problems getting Onion up to speed, especially if you don't have other, beefier characters to carry him through the EXP daily.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

People like looking at LMs or even BSBs for viability. Vaan's kit outside of his USB is built around stacking debuffs - between Thief 6/Support 4 access, a debuff-stacking BSB, a LM2 and OSB that increase damage when the enemy has more debuffs on them.

Lightning with her USB is comparable to Vaan with his USB.

Lightning without her USB (say, with her BSB2 or OSB) still has a potential foothold in magicite fights even with the "not quite the best" kit, whereas Vaan... has suddenly, immediately lost all relevancy for them if you don't have his USB.

This is all true. Maybe there's light at the end of the tunnel for breaks with the latest JP hyperboss only having 50% resistance. Let's see if the new Torments will follow suit.

Then there's only the last myth to bust: Lightning's USB doing good NE damage. If you're actually forced to use the NE component (lightning element is resisted/nulled) the USB loses en-element bonus (50 ability/80 SB) and the hi quickcycle leaving you with only a standard damage entry and +30% attack.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Washout posted:

Well congrats on both onion USB's, but he's not going to do a whole lot for you for a while. He's kind of a trap for newbies. You are probably better holding off on leveling him unless you can get him to 99 which requires a memory crystal 3 and also a lot of growth eggs or a lot of save loading in xp dungeons. If you have that, then great. Now you need to worry about his ability access. Until you are able to get enough 3 and 4 star motes and onion motes to get some of his record dives, he only has 3 star access for most of his abilities. Without any dives, he is garbage. If you have all that stuff and can get him to 99, then do it because he's great. Don't even try to use him for anything before he's in the mid 90's, because he will literally fold like wet tissue paper against pretty much anything.

If you can dive him, consider what holes you need filled on your team and dive for those abilities. OK can be a mage, physical attacker, ninja, debuffer, or healer. I'd say support, combat, white magic, and black magic are pretty solid dives to start with.

FruitPunchSamurai fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 14, 2018

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

This is all true. Maybe there's light at the end of the tunnel for breaks with the latest JP hyperboss only having 50% resistance. Let's see if the new Torments will follow suit.

Then there's only the last myth to bust: Lightning's USB doing good NE damage. If you're actually forced to use the NE component (lightning element is resisted/nulled) the USB loses en-element bonus (50 ability/80 SB) and the hi quickcycle leaving you with only a standard damage entry and +30% attack.

Sure, my bad. Let's assume Lightning and Vaan are even with their respective element. Let's compare another character then in term of better dives.

With no relics whatsoever, Shadow can be dived with the same motes, hit 4 elements (soon five), doublecast them, fit into either PHY or MAG teams, and put out top-tier damage.

A dived Vaan on any content he can break makes him an incredible character for sure. Hell, even without the dive he's still great. Once JP makes breakable bosses a thing again, he'll probably shoot back up to #1.

e: for reference, I have Vaan USB and I use him all the drat time. He kicks rear end. I just have to bench him for Magicite because I only have him, Zidane and Cloud for PHY Wind and I don't want to hone up another Dash and Slash.

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 14, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I want a boss exclusively for breaks - no break resistance, and only ridiculously powerful non-elemental piercing attacks.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fister Roboto posted:

I want a boss exclusively for breaks - no break resistance, and only ridiculously powerful non-elemental piercing attacks.

Problem there is that "no break resistance" runs into "debuff cap problems". You never have to worry about debuff caps because everything resists breaks, but if you suddenly do, then the fact you can stack more than, say, three debuffs is useless since it's diminishing returns just as bad as trying to stack too many buffs.

The FFRK battle system has problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Alright so I am using OK in some endgame content with Dervish - it's definitely not bad. The doublecasts, EX Mode, and party-wide buffs mean that it's hitting for something like 2

The only issue is that he's never gonna do as much damage as your main DPS, in which case it probably makes more sense to do Wrath/Entrust on those guys instead.

KataraniSword posted:

Problem there is that "no break resistance" runs into "debuff cap problems". You never have to worry about debuff caps because everything resists breaks, but if you suddenly do, then the fact you can stack more than, say, three debuffs is useless since it's diminishing returns just as bad as trying to stack too many buffs.

The FFRK battle system has problems.

Ya and I keep playing this dumb game and the problems just get harder to ignore as they try to balance around them. But then I get a good team going and you ignore the actual battle problems because the team building aspect I still find quite fun, just like in most actual FF games

• Locked thread