Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Also FFTA is kinda not fair because half the amazing poo poo is hidden on stuff that requires steal:ability or steal:weapon on certain bosses after they re-equip from a previous steal (and neutralizing them with sleep) but if you get it you split the entire game wide open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Thank god Dram World 2 got met, I can't wait for you guys to see my boy GrandPOOBear wreck that poo poo :cool:

Also thanks for the job explanations, I gotta make myself open up my options next time I play FFV or some other job game

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

It may be technically not illegal but there's no moral reason to buy an expensive second hand cartridge on ebay, over a cheap bootleg or just downloading the rom. All three options hurt the developer/publisher. Buy ports or rereleases on virtual console, Snes Classic, etc if you can.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hivac posted:

people are "bad" at FFT because the only answers are to grind until your meat is bigger than their meat, grind so hard that you get the gamebreaking verbs that are already locked behind like 8 jobs, or you become the guy that made FFT 1.3

Tactics ogre was worse because you didn't have any gamebreaking abilities like FFT does so most of that game was stopping to increase your meat numbers every two stages because the enemy numbers skyrocketed again and twoshot you while you did maybe 1/15 of their health

This is dumb and also really not true at all.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

timp posted:

Actually you already did post that one. I remember it. lmao

...I just wanted to post it again

it actually didn't have that white light border around it originally, I added the silky heavenly white border around it the moment kaiden was destined to die and waited with my finger on the button to post it.......

......and then femshep clipped out of virmire and into the normandy and skipped the cinematic and I wasn't able to time it right :cry:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Cory in the Blouse posted:

Also FFTA is kinda not fair because half the amazing poo poo is hidden on stuff that requires steal:ability or steal:weapon on certain bosses after they re-equip from a previous steal (and neutralizing them with sleep) but if you get it you split the entire game wide open

I'm the zodiac system that makes poo poo do more or less damage for no apparent reason that no one understood without decompling the game

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

i mean, they're turn based. im not sure its possible to suck that badly

watch me

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I took a break to play rando and had a perfect Vitreous fight for the first time. Good vibes, good bevis

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

beep by grandpa posted:

...I just wanted to post it again

it actually didn't have that white light border around it originally, I added the silky heavenly white border around it the moment kaiden was destined to die and waited with my finger on the button to post it.......

......and then femshep clipped out of virmire and into the normandy and skipped the cinematic and I wasn't able to time it right :cry:

how could I have missed the silky heavenly white border

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

timp posted:

Serious question about job system games: how do you not just pick something akin to fighter, white mage, black mage, support/misc?

I've been replaying FFT, and that does work pretty well, but you can use support skills to avoid having that mold. Monk skills, chemist items, and summons are just about as good as white magics in many spots.

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

SeXReX posted:

CR2032

my SD3 cart had a little battery holder to slot it into so I didn't even have to solder like when you replace a legit snes cart

thats actually sick
next paycheck i'm gunna buy a random snes game and try it out

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

timp posted:

Serious question about job system games: how do you not just pick something akin to fighter, white mage, black mage, support/misc?

That's what I did the first time I played FFV and I ended up hating it. Once you branch out though you discover all kinds of crazy poo poo and it makes the game a lot more interesting.

I never touched Chemist because I figured it literally just let me use items better somehow and that seemed like poo poo. Then I got it in a Five Job Fiesta and discovered that what it actually does is turn your offensive party members into unstoppable gods while having various means of completely shutting down a lot of tough enemies and bosses.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm here and I see people talking poo poo about FFT, definitely horrendous Fire Emblem fans. Please prevent cancer.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

grand theft grotto posted:

I took a break to play rando and had a perfect Vitreous fight for the first time. Good vibes, good bevis

no vibes no bevis

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
That loving guard I'm dying

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Zore posted:

This is dumb and also really not true at all.

I have like 4000 hours in FFT dude, that game's number curve is hosed and a blind player will just get completely obliterated over and over if they try to play in a linear fashion. People that do know FFT can break it over their knee but they know what things work in the massive sea of garbage skills

lots of matsuno games either require ungodly amounts of foreknowledge or grinding

Dias posted:

I'm here and I see people talking poo poo about FFT, definitely horrendous Fire Emblem fans. Please prevent cancer.

FE is also bad for a shitload of reasons but trying to talk about that is like trying to talk about the problems FFT has

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

My hot take is real dudes play ff6 randomizer until they they get Leo as Locke and Kefka as Celes.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

the power of fun speedruns has blessed you

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

LAY-ZX posted:

That's what I did the first time I played FFV and I ended up hating it. Once you branch out though you discover all kinds of crazy poo poo and it makes the game a lot more interesting.

I never touched Chemist because I figured it literally just let me use items better somehow and that seemed like poo poo. Then I got it in a Five Job Fiesta and discovered that what it actually does is turn your offensive party members into unstoppable gods while having various means of completely shutting down a lot of tough enemies and bosses.

Well the way I normally play is "okay this Butz character is at level one for every job except White Mage, guess I need him to be a white mage for a while to level that up."

In other words, I played like a meticulous fun hater

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

SeXReX posted:

no vibes no bevis

Donation war to save kill vibes and bevis

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

AttackTheMoon posted:

thats sick
i'm too dumb to learn a new language though

no you're not, anyone can learn a new language if they have an incentive to do so. even an incentive as silly as importing 25 year old games from japan.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I replaced a Pokemon Silver battery with simple electric tape. No intention of playing it, but it satisfied a tinkering curiosity.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
why is he fighting a cloud of tomato soup?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hivac posted:

I have like 4000 hours in FFT dude, that game's number curve is hosed and a blind player will just get completely obliterated over and over if they try to play in a linear fashion. People that do know FFT can break it over their knee but they know what things work in the massive sea of garbage skills

lots of matsuno games either require ungodly amounts of foreknowledge or grinding

FE is also bad for a shitload of reasons but trying to talk about that is like trying to talk about the problems FFT has

The game gives you characters that break the curve for free.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cory in the Blouse posted:

That loving guard I'm dying

Wanna reach in with my wingspan and flick his hat brim from above. *THUMP*

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

SeXReX posted:

no vibes no bevis

Why did you make me remember 'no vibes no bevis'?

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I want to watch this FFIV run and sleep after it but that will mean I’ll wake up after AGDQ is over. I’m debating going to sleep now and waking up at 5am so I can watch BOTW for the finale of AGDQ and live post with the thread. I can’t stay awake for all of it so both are equally tempting for me right now.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Okay, speedfriends, if I may be uncomfortably sincere for a moment. I know the marathon isn't over yet, but I wanted to get this off my heart before it gets late and sleep deprivation kicks in.

I'm a sadbrained shut-in NEET, and I've been having an extra rough time for the last month before AGDQ. Most of my days for the last 3-4 years have been spent alone in my room, either watching anime or movies, or more recently doing drugs. And next week, I expect that to come back, I expect things to be hard again and I expect to struggle with a lot of poo poo.

But for this one glorious week, I have been able to fill my days with something fun and meaningful. I have been able to hang out with a bunch of nerds making jokes about other nerds playing video games. It might sound pathetic, but it's been like a weeklong festival, like one of those giant music festivals except I don't have to leave my room. I'm not particularly deep into video games, but that has not been much of an obstacle to being able to hang out with all you wonderful people and just having a real good time, whether we're breaking the sound barrier during hype runs, mashing the emptyquote button, posting weird fetish art and funny gifs, joking about runners and runs, or just chilling and talking about everything and nothing. I don't really do the whole "friends" thing IRL so it's been a rare treat for me, especially since everyone has been so nice and accepting (shoutouts to beep by grandpa for creating and always helping maintain that atmosphere).

Now I'm sure a lot of you all are in quite different situations, but I also think many of you might have a tough or not very happy life and, like me, have enjoyed some relief from all that through this thread. Regardless, I just wanted to tell you all that I have thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with you all this week and all of you are really cool and nice people. I haven't been able to contribute with too much of value and my lack of socialization has probably made me overcompensate by posting a ton more than I should, but for once I haven't had the constant voice in my head telling me everyone is annoyed by me, which is a compliment to the welcoming and accepting atmosphere you all have created and maintained. Thank you all sincerely, and if you, like me, have tough times ahead, let's all strive to do this again in future GDQ chat threads, and use that as a motivation to keep going on. :unsmith:

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

financially racist posted:

no you're not, anyone can learn a new language if they have an incentive to do so. even an incentive as silly as importing 25 year old games from japan.

thats a good reason imo
maybe
ill try

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I played FFT as a 12 year old with a very limited English knowledge, it's not a hard game at all.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I need to play more Bebe's kids, Johncarls hasn't even seen the movie and that makes me angry.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

RoboJoe posted:

I want to watch this FFIV run and sleep after it but that will mean I’ll wake up after AGDQ is over. I’m debating going to sleep now and waking up at 5am so I can watch BOTW for the finale of AGDQ and live post with the thread. I’m can’t stay awake for all of it so both are equally tempting for me right now.

I utilized a forced sleep early strat last night in order to wake up early for some runs this morning and, can I just say? It worked perfectly and I'd highly recommend it.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Dias posted:

The game gives you characters that break the curve for free.

You don't get sword skillers that don't require grinding like 3000 JP until like 70% into the game

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Back from my nap. The show didn't get called off tonight but I'm not needed and I don't feel safe on the ice roads so I'm staying in.

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

The Lobster posted:

Back from my nap. The show didn't get called off tonight but I'm not needed and I don't feel safe on the ice roads so I'm staying in.

driving on ice is the worst. drink cocoa instead. good plan. where is big jon?

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

tyblazitar posted:

Okay, speedfriends, if I may be uncomfortably sincere for a moment. I know the marathon isn't over yet, but I wanted to get this off my heart before it gets late and sleep deprivation kicks in.

I'm a sadbrained shut-in NEET, and I've been having an extra rough time for the last month before AGDQ. Most of my days for the last 3-4 years have been spent alone in my room, either watching anime or movies, or more recently doing drugs. And next week, I expect that to come back, I expect things to be hard again and I expect to struggle with a lot of poo poo.

But for this one glorious week, I have been able to fill my days with something fun and meaningful. I have been able to hang out with a bunch of nerds making jokes about other nerds playing video games. It might sound pathetic, but it's been like a weeklong festival, like one of those giant music festivals except I don't have to leave my room. I'm not particularly deep into video games, but that has not been much of an obstacle to being able to hang out with all you wonderful people and just having a real good time, whether we're breaking the sound barrier during hype runs, mashing the emptyquote button, posting weird fetish art and funny gifs, joking about runners and runs, or just chilling and talking about everything and nothing. I don't really do the whole "friends" thing IRL so it's been a rare treat for me, especially since everyone has been so nice and accepting (shoutouts to beep by grandpa for creating and always helping maintain that atmosphere).

Now I'm sure a lot of you all are in quite different situations, but I also think many of you might have a tough or not very happy life and, like me, have enjoyed some relief from all that through this thread. Regardless, I just wanted to tell you all that I have thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with you all this week and all of you are really cool and nice people. I haven't been able to contribute with too much of value and my lack of socialization has probably made me overcompensate by posting a ton more than I should, but for once I haven't had the constant voice in my head telling me everyone is annoyed by me, which is a compliment to the welcoming and accepting atmosphere you all have created and maintained. Thank you all sincerely, and if you, like me, have tough times ahead, let's all strive to do this again in future GDQ chat threads, and use that as a motivation to keep going on. :unsmith:

Love u bud <3 Speed friends forever

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Oh my rando run was PB for me even though I didn't find the boots. 1:37 open mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hivac posted:

You don't get sword skillers that don't require grinding like 3000 JP until like 70% into the game

Agrias and Mustadio are Strong enough even before you hit Orlandu.

• Locked thread