Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Brian Fellows posted:

I just read through the last ten pages and didn't see anyone with the same question as me, so here I am. I'd call up Chase but I'm guessing my chances are better of someone here knowing the answer.

I have had a Sapphire Preferred for years. I have opened less than five cards over the last 24 months (I think I opened maybe one).

I get more vacation this year than I have for years, so I'll be travelling more and want a Sapphire Reserve. The internet seems to be split on whether i can get a CSR and it's signup bonus if I already have a CSP.

Ideally I'd sign up for the CSR and get that signup bonus, and have both cards for at least a year. Sounds like that won't work- has anyone tried to do this?

Barring that, maybe I cancel my CSP, wait a few days (???), and apply for. CSR with bonus?

I really don't want to lose the benefits of the CSP for too long (tons of Chase points right now), so if I have to cancel the CSP and wait two years, I'd rather just change my CSP to a CSR, which would mean I forefit the sign up bonus.

Anyone know the way to optimize my situation? Guess it's not that big a deal to try to ge t auto approved - my credit is ~800, so a failed application can't really hurt me.

With your good credit and track record with Chase, if you get denied, you can call them and ask for reconsideration. Explain yourself. I think you have a valid reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Brian Fellows posted:

I just read through the last ten pages and didn't see anyone with the same question as me, so here I am. I'd call up Chase but I'm guessing my chances are better of someone here knowing the answer.

I have had a Sapphire Preferred for years. I have opened less than five cards over the last 24 months (I think I opened maybe one).

I get more vacation this year than I have for years, so I'll be travelling more and want a Sapphire Reserve. The internet seems to be split on whether i can get a CSR and it's signup bonus if I already have a CSP.

Ideally I'd sign up for the CSR and get that signup bonus, and have both cards for at least a year. Sounds like that won't work- has anyone tried to do this?

Barring that, maybe I cancel my CSP, wait a few days (???), and apply for. CSR with bonus?

I really don't want to lose the benefits of the CSP for too long (tons of Chase points right now), so if I have to cancel the CSP and wait two years, I'd rather just change my CSP to a CSR, which would mean I forefit the sign up bonus.

Anyone know the way to optimize my situation? Guess it's not that big a deal to try to ge t auto approved - my credit is ~800, so a failed application can't really hurt me.

From this it seems that you can't open a CSR while the CSP is still open. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-memo-customers-can-get-one-sapphire-card-e-g-csp-cardholders-cant-get-csr/

You could transfer your ultimate rewards points to a Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited card, then cancel the CSP card. You could also downgrade the CSP to the no annual fee Sapphire card, then product change that to a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited.
I'm not sure their system would automatically let you be approved for the CSR if the CSP had only been closed for a few days, it might take a longer. I suspect someone on the phone could get you approved if that's the case, but obviously I can't say for sure.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
I opened a CSR last year with an active CSP and it wasn't an issue. Got the 100k points promotion back when they were still doing that, closed the CSP and they rolled that limit into the limit for the CSR. I went into a Chase branch to apply, not sure if that makes a difference.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

ixo posted:

I opened a CSR last year with an active CSP and it wasn't an issue. Got the 100k points promotion back when they were still doing that, closed the CSP and they rolled that limit into the limit for the CSR. I went into a Chase branch to apply, not sure if that makes a difference.

Bolded the important part.

They changed the policies in mid-2017 to say you can't have more than one open Sapphire product at the same time, and you can only get one Sapphire signup bonus every 24 months.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows

THF13 posted:

From this it seems that you can't open a CSR while the CSP is still open. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-memo-customers-can-get-one-sapphire-card-e-g-csp-cardholders-cant-get-csr/

You could transfer your ultimate rewards points to a Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited card, then cancel the CSP card. You could also downgrade the CSP to the no annual fee Sapphire card, then product change that to a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited.
I'm not sure their system would automatically let you be approved for the CSR if the CSP had only been closed for a few days, it might take a longer. I suspect someone on the phone could get you approved if that's the case, but obviously I can't say for sure.

Looks like people have had luck downgrading Sapphire Preferred to Freedom Unlimited, waiting awhile, then applying for the Sapphire Reserve. I'm going to go for this - I'll let the thread know how it works.

I already got an OK to product change to Freedom Unlimited from Sapphire Reserve via direct message on their site- sounds like it's not an automatic thing IF your card is less than a year old, but mine is several so no problem. I'll wait 1 month after my card changes over to Freedom Unlimited to apply for Sapphire Reserve, just so it's for sure flushed out of their system.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Are there still any good cards that offer a bonus for purchases at drugstores?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Does anyone else have issues with Chase's fraud protection going too far? They called me this morning to say they detected fraud, I verified all information and said the transactions were valid, they said someone called about the account from a phone number that is not my own and so they were shutting it down. This is the fourth time in three years they've done this, and it's a huge pain in the rear end.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Omne posted:

Does anyone else have issues with Chase's fraud protection going too far? They called me this morning to say they detected fraud, I verified all information and said the transactions were valid, they said someone called about the account from a phone number that is not my own and so they were shutting it down. This is the fourth time in three years they've done this, and it's a huge pain in the rear end.

Do you know who called from the other number? If not, I'd be concerned and happy they're playing it safe.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Chaotic Flame posted:

Do you know who called from the other number? If not, I'd be concerned and happy they're playing it safe.
Seriously. That is sketch. You either keep doing business with someone who steals your CC# and calls it in, or someone has your SSN. At least, that is my assumption, how else could someone report fraud on your CC?

I have had issues with Chase fraud protection when there was fraud. They found it immediately, froze my account, and called me to send new cards. Worked really well.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Have not had any issues with Chase.

American Express has been super vigilant on some charges they considered sketchy. Denied the charge and called me and texted me and sent an alert on my app and emailed me.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

My only issues with the Chase fraud protections is that for whatever reason the sensitivity is way higher on my Sapphire Reserve than my Freedom or Amazon cards. I can fly to Europe and use the Freedom and nothing gets flagged but the second I use the Sapphire beyond a 50 mile radius it gets flagged and suspended until I call in on my own.

Hopefully they tone that down when the system learns that card gets primarily used as...the travel card it is.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

My only issues with the Chase fraud protections is that for whatever reason the sensitivity is way higher on my Sapphire Reserve than my Freedom or Amazon cards. I can fly to Europe and use the Freedom and nothing gets flagged but the second I use the Sapphire beyond a 50 mile radius it gets flagged and suspended until I call in on my own.

Hopefully they tone that down when the system learns that card gets primarily used as...the travel card it is.

I also had this problem at first but after a month of traveling the world their computer must have gone 🤷‍♀️ and now it doesn’t care. SOMETIMES, rarely, they send me a text asking if a transaction is valid. You just reply ‘YES’ and they leave you alone.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

See travel wise I've never had an issue with my Preferred or now the Reserve. It's just random stuff that will happen that causes their fraud protection to kick in. This time it was a mystery call, which could have been someone reading the wrong digits on their card for all I know. Last time it was valid purchases that they didn't trust (why yes, I did run three different bar tabs at the same bar that evening), and even after I said they were ok they said "well that's great, but we've already started the process so we will send a new card out in a week." Given the holidays, I won't get my new card for awhile. And this will be my third CSR number, after having two different CSPs.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Small White Dragon posted:

Are there still any good cards that offer a bonus for purchases at drugstores?

Sometimes it’ll be a category bonus for the Freedom iirc, or the AMEX Old Blue Cash if you want to go down that rabbit hole and it still exists (see flyertalk). Not especially common.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The Amazon card gives 2% back at drugstores.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Any downside to paying rent with a credit card? My cashback beats the credit card payment fee, so I'll net about $8 per monthly rent payment. I have a pretty high limit on this card, so I don't see ever going past 25% utilization even with the rent payment on there. Of course, I pay the card off in full right after the payment.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

laxbro posted:

Any downside to paying rent with a credit card? My cashback beats the credit card payment fee, so I'll net about $8 per monthly rent payment. I have a pretty high limit on this card, so I don't see ever going past 25% utilization even with the rent payment on there. Of course, I pay the card off in full right after the payment.

No, it's a pretty good idea if you net cash from it. Utilization during your statement doesn't matter as it's only calculated based on the statement balance.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

laxbro posted:

This is something I wish I could do, but my landlord only takes checks :(

Is there any kind of workaround for this that people know about? Some way to issue a check from a credit card?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

El Mero Mero posted:

This is something I wish I could do, but my landlord only takes checks :(

Is there any kind of workaround for this that people know about? Some way to issue a check from a credit card?

I've heard good things about plastiq for that, though I think it may no longer count as 3x points on many cards.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Signed up for the Uber Visa card because 4% back at restaurants/bars is really useful for me.

You also get $100 back after spending $500 in the first 90 days. But IIRC, that 90 day countdown seems to start from when you open the account, not when you activate the card, which means that by the card arrives in the mail, you only have 80 days to spend $500. And that's assuming the card doesn't get lost/delayed due to inclement weather. :mad:

Would've easily hit $500 if I had gotten the card before the holidays, but I only found out about it from friends during New Year's. :negative:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Weird, I can't get accepted for the Uber Visa card. My credit score is about 780. I did just buy a house, so maybe that's the problem. I'm on the phone with them now, I put a credit freeze on my account after the Experion thing, so maybe that's the problem. I need more credit so I can buy more things I don't need with money I don't have :getin:

They want me to mail them a copy of Driver's License, Social Security card, and utility bill...like in the mail. I can't email or fax it. I'm really not comfortable doing that, wow. My townhas had a TON of packages and mail stolen from peoples houses over the past few weeks... why can't they take a fax?

EDIT: ok, they have a fax. all good.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 10, 2018

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
The data Uber's getting must have an incredible value attached to it, like filling in a bunch of blanks and connecting otherwise lost pieces into their individual profiles. Because that card is loving nuts. The phone insurance even covers theft. I'm still keeping my CSR because I've used the Trip Interruption insurance before and it's great peace of mind, but I could theoretically cancel it and still be fine with just the Uber card.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
How do people feel about the value of amex mr points? The $550 AF is crazy steep and the value of the other benefits are marginal because the centurion lounge in SFO is in a terminal totally disconnected from the terminal I frequent (meaning I would have to go through security twice).

Despite AA miles being poo poo, I am tempted to sign up for the no spend 60k deal just because the sheer amount may get me one down cent flight.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
For the CSP bonus, I've had the card for 4 years, can I just close it and reapply and get the bonus again? I read all the docs and it said that it's once every 24 months...

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Erdricks posted:

How do people feel about the value of amex mr points? The $550 AF is crazy steep and the value of the other benefits are marginal because the centurion lounge in SFO is in a terminal totally disconnected from the terminal I frequent (meaning I would have to go through security twice).

Despite AA miles being poo poo, I am tempted to sign up for the no spend 60k deal just because the sheer amount may get me one down cent flight.

It depends on what you use them for, but even the most conservative estimate would be 1 cent or $500 for 50k. Also the AF is only steep if you don't consider that you get $400 in airline fee credits, can be used for gc, and $200 in Uber.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

For the CSP bonus, I've had the card for 4 years, can I just close it and reapply and get the bonus again? I read all the docs and it said that it's once every 24 months...

Correct (though you might consider product changing it instead of closing - do you already have a Freedom+Freedom Unlimited?).

The three requirements to be able to get the card + bonus:

1) You haven't opened more than 5 new cards in the last 2 years [this requirement can be waived if you have an in-branch pre-approval or a "Selected for you" offer for the 50k for the CSP]

2) You haven't received the bonus for that card in the last 2 years.

3) You can't currently hold another Sapphire product.

Make sure to use a family member or friend's referral if possible to score them some nice extra points!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

astral posted:

Correct (though you might consider product changing it instead of closing - do you already have a Freedom+Freedom Unlimited?).

The three requirements to be able to get the card + bonus:

1) You haven't opened more than 5 new cards in the last 2 years [this requirement can be waived if you have an in-branch pre-approval or a "Selected for you" offer for the 50k for the CSP]

2) You haven't received the bonus for that card in the last 2 years.

3) You can't currently hold another Sapphire product.

Make sure to use a family member or friend's referral if possible to score them some nice extra points!

Is it five new cards from Chase or five new cards in total? I'm sure I'm at 5+ cards in the past year, I just bought a house so I don't care about credit, it's 780 anyways, and I'm churning a new card every two months for those sweet sign on bonuses.
I already have a Freedom + Freedom Unlimited.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Is it five new cards from Chase or five new cards in total? I'm sure I'm at 5+ cards in the past year, I just bought a house so I don't care about credit, it's 780 anyways, and I'm churning a new card every two months for those sweet sign on bonuses.
I already have a Freedom + Freedom Unlimited.
5 new cards total. Churners should go for Chase stuff first because of the 5/24 rule.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

5 new cards total. Churners should go for Chase stuff first because of the 5/24 rule.

Ah, I think I may be ok:

Chase Freedom, Chase Unlimited, Discover IT, Uber Visa.

I did apply for Financing on the Google Store to buy a new Pixel, is that a credit card?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Erdricks posted:

Fun fact - some of the cobranded Amex Plat (Morgan Stanley, Charles Schwab, .etc) cards can cash out MR for 1-1.25 cents each.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I’m getting targeted offers for the chase united card, but I’m probably over 5/24 and got the bonus on that same card a little under 2 years ago. It was cancelled in early 2016. If I’m not eligible for the bonus, why do I keep getting these offers?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Any credit cards right now with no monthly fees that are offering nice signup bonuses? I've found a bunch that give you $150 cashback if you spend X amount in 3 months, wondering if there's anything better out there.

e: credit score is mid 700s. I already have a credit card through my credit union, and an Amazon card.

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 13, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I now a no-fee CC available option to pay my rent. What are the best options for signup bonuses? I should be easily be able to meet any not-insane spend requirements. Score up mid-upper 700s, and I already have a CSP (opened 4/2015 iirc). I see above discussion about changing it to a freedom card and grabbing a CSR, but that also has a $450 fee attached to it. Dunno if I travel enough to use the whole bonus amount, though the TSA thing would be nice for the rare occasion when I do.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Queering Wheel posted:

Any credit cards right now with no monthly fees that are offering nice signup bonuses? I've found a bunch that give you $150 cashback if you spend X amount in 3 months, wondering if there's anything better out there.

e: credit score is mid 700s. I already have a credit card through my credit union, and an Amazon card.

Chase Freedom was originally 200 back on 500 spend, but that was years ago

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

ilkhan posted:

I now a no-fee CC available option to pay my rent. What are the best options for signup bonuses? I should be easily be able to meet any not-insane spend requirements. Score up mid-upper 700s, and I already have a CSP (opened 4/2015 iirc). I see above discussion about changing it to a freedom card and grabbing a CSR, but that also has a $450 fee attached to it. Dunno if I travel enough to use the whole bonus amount, though the TSA thing would be nice for the rare occasion when I do.

There aren't a ton of great offers out there right now, especially if you're not looking for a travel-specific card. It seems like the best offers tend to come out around the holidays.

You might want to look at the BoA Premium Rewards card, though; it's new enough they're still dangling a decent carrot: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/premium-rewards-credit-card/

50k points (essentially $500), $95 annual fee, $3k minimum spend, and they do reimburse precheck/global entry. The earn rate isn't fantastic, but hey, it's a decent signup bonus and BoA should let you downgrade.

I'd stay away from the CSR. Without the giant signup bonus, it only makes sense if you are either pumping lots and lots of travel and restaurant expenses through the card, or have a bunch of ultimate rewards points that you want to burn for travel through the Chase portal at the CSR rate. If you can't say that you will absolutely spend $300 on travel every single year, you probably don't want it.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
I mean, if you've burned through most of your points and aren't actively churning, You're gonna have trouble finding round trip tickets that are less than the $300 yearly reimbursement amount.

That's basically where I'm at - one or two vacations a year, either pay cash for one or buy $300 worth of gift cards to use the next year. Not everyone fulltime churns forever.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
If I have the travel credit available I'm going to use it, its just not something I would do as a routine thing. Roundtrip for two down to Vegas would be about as easy a way to burn that as any, and GF would love it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I didn't realize my Geico was being paid by credit card. If only I had switched it to my Uber Visa, I could've gotten halfway to the $500 spend bonus. :sigh:

PSA for those of you who also assumed your car insurance was being drawn on your checking account.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Josh Lyman posted:

I didn't realize my Geico was being paid by credit card. If only I had switched it to my Uber Visa, I could've gotten halfway to the $500 spend bonus. :sigh:

PSA for those of you who also assumed your car insurance was being drawn on your checking account.

How do you not spend $500 in three months if you're getting a card with the intention of meeting minimum spend? Even if you're making minimum wage and operating on a super strict budget that's less than $6 a day in expenditures. Did you just forget to use the card for part of the 90 days or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Thoguh posted:

How do you not spend $500 in three months if you're getting a card with the intention of meeting minimum spend? Even if you're making minimum wage and operating on a super strict budget that's less than $6 a day in expenditures. Did you just forget to use the card for part of the 90 days or something?
I mean, I’ve only had the card for 4 days and already charged about $120, but that includes some expenditures I was holding off on. I’m mainly trying to use it where I don’t get a better percentage elsewhere, primarily restaurants/bars. Notably, Chase Freedom is doing 5% this quarter on utilities, so I’m trying to use that card for cellphone and internet. The Freedom is also 5% on gas, but that doesn’t really matter since I drive a Prius.