Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

The Lobster posted:

Back from my nap. The show didn't get called off tonight but I'm not needed and I don't feel safe on the ice roads so I'm staying in.

wewlcome back friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Robo Turnus posted:

where is big jon?

Probably at home, he lives like 10 minutes away.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

AttackTheMoon posted:

thats a good reason imo
maybe
ill try

import a jp copy of Super Metroid to learn with

the joke is that it's the same rom file and you can just set the language to english, but a SFC cart still costs way less on the second hand market

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LAY-ZX posted:

That's what I did the first time I played FFV and I ended up hating it. Once you branch out though you discover all kinds of crazy poo poo and it makes the game a lot more interesting.

heck, one of the most fun things about job system games is figuring out how to get around not having a white mage :getin:

more so in bravely than in FFV since you have more options, but still. I beat bravely the first time with a spiritism vampire, singing conjurer, bushido pirate and dark arts ninja. Sky's the limit!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

F. Lobot posted:

I replaced a Pokemon Silver battery with simple electric tape. No intention of playing it, but it satisfied a tinkering curiosity.

oh christ this reminds me

i wanted to play gold and silver again but the batteries were dead, so i opened my gold cart and did not have a soldering gun to take off the old battery. so instead i used an xacto knife to cut the solder that held the battery in. when i finally busted through the solder, the knife kept going into the side of my thumb i was holding the cart in place with, and given that it was an xacto knife, that poo poo went in deep.

i intentionally left a little bit of the blood on the inside of the cart as a reminder to my future self to never be that loving stupid again.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Y'know, after all this is over, I think we should all grab a discord for hanging out. I'm sure it won't be as active or hype as this has been, but it's been fun hanging out with everyone and it'd be nice to keep the atmosphere alive somewhere after the marathon is over

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

tyblazitar posted:

Okay, speedfriends, if I may be uncomfortably sincere for a moment. I know the marathon isn't over yet, but I wanted to get this off my heart before it gets late and sleep deprivation kicks in.

I'm a sadbrained shut-in NEET, and I've been having an extra rough time for the last month before AGDQ. Most of my days for the last 3-4 years have been spent alone in my room, either watching anime or movies, or more recently doing drugs. And next week, I expect that to come back, I expect things to be hard again and I expect to struggle with a lot of poo poo.

But for this one glorious week, I have been able to fill my days with something fun and meaningful. I have been able to hang out with a bunch of nerds making jokes about other nerds playing video games. It might sound pathetic, but it's been like a weeklong festival, like one of those giant music festivals except I don't have to leave my room. I'm not particularly deep into video games, but that has not been much of an obstacle to being able to hang out with all you wonderful people and just having a real good time, whether we're breaking the sound barrier during hype runs, mashing the emptyquote button, posting weird fetish art and funny gifs, joking about runners and runs, or just chilling and talking about everything and nothing. I don't really do the whole "friends" thing IRL so it's been a rare treat for me, especially since everyone has been so nice and accepting (shoutouts to beep by grandpa for creating and always helping maintain that atmosphere).

Now I'm sure a lot of you all are in quite different situations, but I also think many of you might have a tough or not very happy life and, like me, have enjoyed some relief from all that through this thread. Regardless, I just wanted to tell you all that I have thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with you all this week and all of you are really cool and nice people. I haven't been able to contribute with too much of value and my lack of socialization has probably made me overcompensate by posting a ton more than I should, but for once I haven't had the constant voice in my head telling me everyone is annoyed by me, which is a compliment to the welcoming and accepting atmosphere you all have created and maintained. Thank you all sincerely, and if you, like me, have tough times ahead, let's all strive to do this again in future GDQ chat threads, and use that as a motivation to keep going on. :unsmith:

I'm in a pretty similar situation myself and yeah having this thread to hang out in for the past week has been extremely fun and good. Six months to SGDQ! :hf:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

tyblazitar posted:

Okay, speedfriends, if I may be uncomfortably sincere for a moment. I know the marathon isn't over yet, but I wanted to get this off my heart before it gets late and sleep deprivation kicks in.

I'm a sadbrained shut-in NEET, and I've been having an extra rough time for the last month before AGDQ. Most of my days for the last 3-4 years have been spent alone in my room, either watching anime or movies, or more recently doing drugs. And next week, I expect that to come back, I expect things to be hard again and I expect to struggle with a lot of poo poo.

But for this one glorious week, I have been able to fill my days with something fun and meaningful. I have been able to hang out with a bunch of nerds making jokes about other nerds playing video games. It might sound pathetic, but it's been like a weeklong festival, like one of those giant music festivals except I don't have to leave my room. I'm not particularly deep into video games, but that has not been much of an obstacle to being able to hang out with all you wonderful people and just having a real good time, whether we're breaking the sound barrier during hype runs, mashing the emptyquote button, posting weird fetish art and funny gifs, joking about runners and runs, or just chilling and talking about everything and nothing. I don't really do the whole "friends" thing IRL so it's been a rare treat for me, especially since everyone has been so nice and accepting (shoutouts to beep by grandpa for creating and always helping maintain that atmosphere).

Now I'm sure a lot of you all are in quite different situations, but I also think many of you might have a tough or not very happy life and, like me, have enjoyed some relief from all that through this thread. Regardless, I just wanted to tell you all that I have thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with you all this week and all of you are really cool and nice people. I haven't been able to contribute with too much of value and my lack of socialization has probably made me overcompensate by posting a ton more than I should, but for once I haven't had the constant voice in my head telling me everyone is annoyed by me, which is a compliment to the welcoming and accepting atmosphere you all have created and maintained. Thank you all sincerely, and if you, like me, have tough times ahead, let's all strive to do this again in future GDQ chat threads, and use that as a motivation to keep going on. :unsmith:

Please don't make me cry. You guys are the best. This hits a bit close to home, especially since I'm a NEET too. I hope things go better for you this year :unsmith:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

grand theft grotto posted:

Oh my rando run was PB for me even though I didn't find the boots. 1:37 open mode

dannnng dude that's a blisterer!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

timp posted:

Y'know, after all this is over, I think we should all grab a discord for hanging out. I'm sure it won't be as active or hype as this has been, but it's been fun hanging out with everyone and it'd be nice to keep the atmosphere alive somewhere after the marathon is over

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

tyblazitar posted:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Thread good

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

timp posted:

Plus it can be used to get us hyped for future GDQ's. You guys are the best :unsmith:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

God Bless Funky Kong

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

grand theft grotto posted:

Oh my rando run was PB for me even though I didn't find the boots. 1:37 open mode

daaamn way to go!

bootsless seeds are the worst though

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

I'm glad the fun and good chill thread could help you out, if only for a week, speedfriend. It has been wonderful having you here :love:

timp posted:

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Thread good

:yeah:

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

tyblazitar posted:

I often feel like you (hence some of my recent posts) so I am glad you had time away from those self demons to let you enjoy yourself here. The GDQ chat threads are always amazing and half the fun of a GDQ event to me! Keep being positive as much as you can :)

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

tyblazitar posted:

Hugs. This week has been a thing of beauty. I have been depressed and it's the only thing that has made me want to get out of bed so I get you.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Thread good

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
bout to get some brews and prepare to crack em. its stag o clock fellers. first one is going to be poured out in big jons honor.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

LAY-ZX posted:

God Bless Funky Kong

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Soup du Jour posted:

daaamn way to go!

bootsless seeds are the worst though

Yeahhhh it is funny seeing "bonks: 0" though

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Thread good

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

just think of it as a 6 month long hype build for SGDQ

Minnesota is great in July you should all come and shitpost irl with me

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Regy Rusty posted:

Thread good

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Dias posted:

Agrias and Mustadio are Strong enough even before you hit Orlandu.

Yeah i dunno dude, Agrias is okay enough but one character won't pull you all the way through something like execution site

Maybe i'm remembering wrong, it's been like 13 years since I last played the game and every first impression of the game from other people that I've seen since is pretty souring in the "you're not playing the game the right way so it's loving ruthless and awful" sense

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

[Intelligent] [Humorous] [Tasteful] [Wholesome]

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Thread good

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

Vaah posted:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Vaah posted:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Vaah posted:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Vaah posted:

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Vaah posted:

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Vaah posted:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Vaah posted:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

SeXReX posted:

just think of it as a 6 month long hype build for SGDQ

Minnesota is great in July you should all come and shitpost irl with me

I'm good anywhere, so long as it's warming than it is right now in Georgia. Geez.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

tyblazitar posted:

im in a nearly identical situation and i really super feel this and i'm equally grateful for the thread and all the people in it

you're great, everyone's great, gdq's great :)

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Vaah posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011