Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

grand theft grotto posted:

we can do our own speedruns with hookers and blackjack,

In fact, forget the speedruns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Wait hang on Flare and Holy in this version of FFIV are called Nuke and White? I get that the Holy one is censorship but if the character limit is at least five why is Nuke not back to Flare

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Regy Rusty posted:

I've tried it doesn't do it for me

If you're curious about FFT i'd say to try out the psp tactics ogre or FFTA2

edit: i've heard decent things about Knight of Lodis but i haven't played it myself

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

mandatory lesbian posted:

oh

well maybe next time, i live like 10 minutes away from downtown (walking!)

based ENTIRELY ON A RANDOM GUESS I AM MAKING NOTHING WAS LEAKED THERE ARE NO LEAKERS TO PUNISH, they're about to announce it's gonna be closer to the airport this year

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
something something sgdq2018 :gooncamp:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Regy Rusty posted:

I've tried it doesn't do it for me

Try the Ps2/GC/Xbox game Gladius. Probably my favorite TBS game

You can have Roman Legionaires or Minotaurs in your gladiator school. Also Satyrs who can belch fire by drinking strong alcohol.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

tyblazitar posted:

Okay, speedfriends, if I may be uncomfortably sincere for a moment. I know the marathon isn't over yet, but I wanted to get this off my heart before it gets late and sleep deprivation kicks in.

I'm a sadbrained shut-in NEET, and I've been having an extra rough time for the last month before AGDQ. Most of my days for the last 3-4 years have been spent alone in my room, either watching anime or movies, or more recently doing drugs. And next week, I expect that to come back, I expect things to be hard again and I expect to struggle with a lot of poo poo.

But for this one glorious week, I have been able to fill my days with something fun and meaningful. I have been able to hang out with a bunch of nerds making jokes about other nerds playing video games. It might sound pathetic, but it's been like a weeklong festival, like one of those giant music festivals except I don't have to leave my room. I'm not particularly deep into video games, but that has not been much of an obstacle to being able to hang out with all you wonderful people and just having a real good time, whether we're breaking the sound barrier during hype runs, mashing the emptyquote button, posting weird fetish art and funny gifs, joking about runners and runs, or just chilling and talking about everything and nothing. I don't really do the whole "friends" thing IRL so it's been a rare treat for me, especially since everyone has been so nice and accepting (shoutouts to beep by grandpa for creating and always helping maintain that atmosphere).

Now I'm sure a lot of you all are in quite different situations, but I also think many of you might have a tough or not very happy life and, like me, have enjoyed some relief from all that through this thread. Regardless, I just wanted to tell you all that I have thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with you all this week and all of you are really cool and nice people. I haven't been able to contribute with too much of value and my lack of socialization has probably made me overcompensate by posting a ton more than I should, but for once I haven't had the constant voice in my head telling me everyone is annoyed by me, which is a compliment to the welcoming and accepting atmosphere you all have created and maintained. Thank you all sincerely, and if you, like me, have tough times ahead, let's all strive to do this again in future GDQ chat threads, and use that as a motivation to keep going on. :unsmith:

I think something that I've learned from this thread, this post and the responses to this post is that while our lives aren't all the exact same, we have similarities in hobbies, lifestyles and situations in our lives that are similar/the same. This thread has honestly been one of the best environments I've ever been a part of, whether that's online or in real life. Being a NEET and spending a lot of time at home, AGDQ and this thread have had constant things I can go back to that I can get excited for and can get me through the day. Heck, I woke up early to experience the amazing Awful Block with you all, something I would normally never do. Even if it's just memeing and having fun watching and talking about speedruns and speedrunners, this has been some of the most fun I've had in recent memory.

I'm not sure what will happen after AGDQ. Maybe I'll just wait until SGDQ to hang out with you all again. Maybe I'll see you guys in a random thread or two. Maybe we'll get a discord that we can hang out in, chat about things and play games together (I fully endorse this idea because this community is awesome). Whatever it is, I probably will have many memories from this AGDQ and nearly all of them have been because of you guys. Whether it was laughing at god mode having to be activated for Skyrim, the fever dream that was Awful Block (Superman 64 to Dog's Life in particular) or hyperspamming :emptyquote:s of full caps hype moments during Bloodborne. My experience of AGDQ has significantly enhanced because of you guys, to the point that I can't imagine watching this AGDQ or future AGDQ's without you all.

This was my first ever GDQ being an active part of this thread. I had no idea what I was getting myself into and admittedly, I was nervous because I normally just lurk and was worried that I'd not be able to keep up with the jokes or that people would be unfriendly. It has been nearly the opposite. Even if I didn't get a joke, I was able to ask for an explanation and others would jump to answer. Nearly everyone in here has been super kind and been supporting a friendly, welcoming atmosphere that has made me feel comfortable to be silly and make in-jokes such as :emptyquote: and Arabian Nights.

Thank you all so much for everything. I may not be awake to watch the end. I'll try and set my alarm and wake up to have one last big memefest with you all. If I can't, I guess this can be my gigantic farewell post to you all and if I am there, maybe I'll do another one of these at the definitive end.

This has honestly been one of the best starts to a year I've had and you guys are one of the main reasons for it. Even if it's all been in one gigantic thread of memes, creepy fanart and in-jokes. I hope we get to do things like these again and that we get a chance to continue fostering the speed friendships we've made throughout this thread and for GDQ's of now and the future.

And remember, don't forget to :emptyquote: to your hearts content and get your gang tags once you've been initiated by the Awful Block (Arabian Nights in particular)

:love::unsmith::love:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

HonorableTB posted:

:yeah: imagine trying to recapture the feel of awful block when we're bouncing from superman 64 to arabian nights to envirobear to dogs life holy poo poo

yeah you can't really force that, I don't think a weekly viewing would be as nuts as anything here but it might be somewhat fun

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh if you like the feeling of this chat thread, I recommend looking into watching some Twitch streamers if you don't already. I don't mean the really massive ones that stream stuff like LoL and Dota with chats that move at a mile a minute. Smaller streams have a much more chill atmosphere and people enage with each other and the streamer more. You can also put on a stream in the background while you do other stuff (like drawing!). Its a cool way to chat with people in a lighter way even when you're at home.

CSPAM has/had a Nite Crew thing at psp-tv for chill music and movie nights

Just for shits and giggles I spun one up at http://psp-tv.com/r/Assless-Chaps and tossed a couple old Good/"Good" speedruns into it

I think the playlist is unlocked so anyone can add stuff to the list, but if anyone wants to get some use out of it I'll probably use it post-GDQ to catch up on the runs that I missed and probably add awful block to it as well because :yeah:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zore posted:

Try the Ps2/GC/Xbox game Gladius. Probably my favorite TBS game

Ooh I haven't heard of that one

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

If you're a sad brain stuck in unemployment with no quick way to fix it, I recommend picking up an artistic hobby. I started feeling a lot better about myself once I started putting serious time into my art. Plus once you start producing content, even if its not very good, you can make a few other people happy too. Its difficult at first but if you have a bunch of free time the only obstacle to really dedicating yourself to it is your own willpower.

What I'm saying is don't be like Edward, the useless gently caress that plays his harp once and then lies in a bed for the rest of the game.

I can agree here but wth any activity that interests you and you can get better at.

I was a sadbrained unemployed dick like 10 y ears ago and I took up running to be like my hero sonic the hedgehog and my success there increased my self confidence so much I immediately got a job which turned into a career which turned into a huge network which turned into the charming, inspiring beep you see today! :D

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

HonorableTB posted:

:yeah: imagine trying to recapture the feel of awful block when we're bouncing from superman 64 to arabian nights to envirobear to dogs life holy poo poo

Imagine trying to replicate the feel of creating TWO OF THE SAME EMOTE after being subjected to a dull five hour run of a game we've seen over and over

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

raditts posted:

lmao
So how the gently caress did that work again because I didn't follow that at all
Something like cast twin with Porom, kill Porom with Palom, have Cecil use item, cast Stop on Cecil, switch item Cecil used with carrot/trash can, Palom throws carrot/trash can

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I’m drinking a limited-release beer that a girl who watched the relay with me last night bought me, shitposting with internet buds, going to a party later

speedrunning is great, my friends

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

beep by grandpa posted:

I can agree here but wth any activity that interests you and you can get better at.

I was a sadbrained unemployed dick like 10 y ears ago and I took up running to be like my hero sonic the hedgehog and my success there increased my self confidence so much I immediately got a job which turned into a career which turned into a huge network which turned into the charming, inspiring beep you see today! :D

This guy listens to Sonic music while he runs. Use him as your inspiration

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SeXReX posted:

based ENTIRELY ON A RANDOM GUESS I AM MAKING NOTHING WAS LEAKED THERE ARE NO LEAKERS TO PUNISH, they're about to announce it's gonna be closer to the airport this year

hmmmm, well then

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

CSPAM has/had a Nite Crew thing at psp-tv for chill music and movie nights

Just for shits and giggles I spun one up at http://psp-tv.com/r/Assless-Chaps and tossed a couple old Good/"Good" speedruns into it

I think the playlist is unlocked so anyone can add stuff to the list, but if anyone wants to get some use out of it I'll probably use it post-GDQ to catch up on the runs that I missed and probably add awful block to it as well because :yeah:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Regy Rusty posted:

Ooh I haven't heard of that one

Its rad as gently caress. You play as a gladiator school and globehop to a bunch of different countries and can recruit everything from Leginaires, to wolves to Yeti to Minotaur to spooky skeletons to fight for glory in the arena.

Also all the potential gladiators are unique characters and some need sidequests to recruit etc.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

timp posted:

This guy listens to Sonic music while he runs. Use him as your inspiration

that I do! I have a semi-but-not-really-actually ironic playlist called SONIC PASSION & PRIDE that's all sonic music and surprisingly it's epic as poo poo to start my runs to at 5 in the god drat mornin

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!

Soup du Jour posted:

I’m drinking a limited-release beer that a girl who watched the relay with me last night bought me, shitposting with internet buds, going to a party later

Nice

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

:love:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

LAY-ZX posted:

Wait hang on Flare and Holy in this version of FFIV are called Nuke and White? I get that the Holy one is censorship but if the character limit is at least five why is Nuke not back to Flare

it was called nuke back in ff1's english translation so they figured to stay with it for consistency

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

beep by grandpa posted:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

online marathons (everyone isn't hanging out in a hotel together) happen basically constantly
https://horaro.org/-/calendar/2018/01

they're not fully the same but there's basically always a stream with no-reset runs of a variety of games to watch

AHEM including "my" group's winter marathon coming up soon that will be taking donations for a friend of one of our runner's Leukemia treatment
https://www.speedrun.com/MidWinter_SpeedSprinter

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Speaking of strategy games, earlier conversation about them inspired me to want to try some more non-fire emblem ones. I'm probably going to start one shortly after the marathon ends.

Should I play:

Final Fantasy Tactics
Vandal Hearts
Shining Force

Please play shining force

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

LAY-ZX posted:

Because that's what they called it in FF1us, when the spell names could only have 4 chars

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Soup du Jour posted:

what beer, im just drinking grain belt

btw i love grain belt and its sad its apparently only a midwest thing, i cant get it back in VA

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh if you like the feeling of this chat thread, I recommend looking into watching some Twitch streamers if you don't already. I don't mean the really massive ones that stream stuff like LoL and Dota with chats that move at a mile a minute. Smaller streams have a much more chill atmosphere and people enage with each other and the streamer more. You can also put on a stream in the background while you do other stuff (like drawing!). Its a cool way to chat with people in a lighter way even when you're at home.

Smaller stream atmospheres are really cool and I should really try to get involved with them more. The problem I've always has is that you simultaneously want your streamer to be successful yet also don't want them to get too big so you lose the fun times

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

hell, same*

*on OPPOSITE DAY :devil:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

beep by grandpa posted:

10 years ago I was really at a loss and started making lps on this forum that aged super poorly and probably weren't good then, but being productive at all made me want to not give up in general, and I think part of why I was able to work and put my life back together was the people who would watch my lps and say nice things about them made me feel like "I guess not everything I do is wrong"

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

a "big" in-person marathon coming up soon is the first ever winter edition of ESA!
https://www.speedrun.com/ESA_Winter_2018

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

it has been great posting together with you and i'm glad you've had a good time in the thread! i set my alarm for awful block as well and i'm real glad i did!

:love:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Shadow's hobbies are smoking, drinking, and cheating on his wife

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

:same:

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

[quote="“beep by grandpa”" post="“480256563”"]

[/quote]

running kicks rear end, would recommend. went from being barely able to do a mile to running a half marathon last year and lost 30 pounds doing it!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

ARBYS

http://rasticore.tumblr.com/post/168278054714/d1rtypaws

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Shadow would never cheat on his dead wife.

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
those who cant run swim. and hell, i enjouyh it

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Soup du Jour posted:

running kicks rear end, would recommend. went from being barely able to do a mile to running a half marathon last year and lost 30 pounds doing it!

Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

• Locked thread