Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

How are you going to record a game in which one subset of players hang out on one side of the public park and everyone else is on the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Gross, one of the worst things you could do top werewolf is have it first person. Why in a game where your signature Ability is shape shifting, would you not want to see your character model?

(Plus, fps gives me motion sickness and I want to play)

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Soonmot posted:

Gross, one of the worst things you could do top werewolf is have it first person. Why in a game where your signature Ability is shape shifting, would you not want to see your character model?

(Plus, fps gives me motion sickness and I want to play)

I mean fine make it third person, point stands.

Or will you refuse to play any game that isn't done in the style of fallout 1?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Third person is all my broken eyes need, but hell yeah, get a 3/4 isometric turn based game and I'll buy two copies

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PDS hosed up by not making a Vampire Dark Ages game based on the systems they've developed for Crusader Kings.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

ZearothK posted:

PDS hosed up by not making a Vampire Dark Ages game based on the systems they've developed for Crusader Kings.

Really just underlines how much the WW acquisition was some individual executive's pet project, rather than something the company had any sort of vision for.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

ZearothK posted:

ffffuck

You just dredged up all my excitement from when the purchase happened. This was exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for, since I actually love ck2.

It was a slow drop into disappointment for me.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
You could even just make it an expansion DLC and it'd still sell like hot cakes, and maybe lure 'oh, just for vampire...' players in to buy the entire treasure chest of CK2 expansions.

There actually is a semi-capably done Dark Ages mod for CK2, if anyone wonders what it might be like - though it isn't on the scale or scope of a full DLC expansion or of the Game of Thrones/Elder Scrolls mods.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

DLC I don't know, I think PDS would balk at directly tying one of their games to a specific IP. A side game like Sengoku or March of the Eagles, sure, but I don't think that's going to happen under White Wolf's current leadership.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Archonex posted:

Bloodlines 2: This Time it's Open World in the vein of a Skyrim style political/action/horror sandbox would basically be my dream game. Give it proper modding tools and i'm basically set for gaming for the next few decades.

No way in hell Paradox could pull it off though without like fifty expansions. CK2 and Stellaris are proof of that.

Nah man, Bloodlines 2: This Time it's Shadow of Mordor.

A nemesis-style system would go great with the Vampire setting.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Slimnoid posted:

Nah man, Bloodlines 2: This Time it's Shadow of Mordor.

A nemesis-style system would go great with the Vampire setting.

Oh yeah. If any setting justifies and enables the sort of insane grudges, constant possibility of betrayals, and the occasional bout of obsessive stalking and harassment of the player from a NPC like Shadow of War does then it'd be Vampire. The trait system would just need a bit more expansion while the event system is perfect for a game that doesn't take place over a day or two. And even then with the way it's set up the event system could be dropped in place of one that doesn't rely on the player interacting with it to advance things if you had a decent coder capable of handling real time interactions between NPC's.

I stand by the open world sandbox thing though. It's the logical extension of the hub world design of Bloodlines and similar games from that era. How the layout of an open world interacts with the rest of the game, how dynamic it is, and how the developers fill the space makes it a good or bad design decision more than just "Skyrim style open worlds=bad".

I mean, imagine actually having a dynamic world in a Vampire game. Taking ____ territory through whatever political and/or combat systems would actually get you the right to hunt there, farm out the rights to hunt there to get lackeys, base yourself there, and refuel that all important blood meter. Meanwhile, trespassing on a particularly hated/aggressive/low humanity vampire's territory might make them ambush you from the rooftops all SoM Nemesis style in a fit of rage. Or having to worry about your neighbors ratting out the location of your haven and bringing a bunch of hunters or Sabbat down on you and getting you in trouble with the local management due to their personality traits.

Both my modern gaming and 90's era nerd boner would be rock hard is what i'm saying.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 13, 2018

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Plus, it'd let me ram a car into my enemies, and Vampire can always use more of that.

'I'm big, tough, scary Ventrue! My fortitude makes your punches do nothing!' 'gently caress you, I have a truck.'

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Driving around in Chicago in Watch_Dogs was something that had me thinking a lot about Vampire. I certainly want to use Disciplines to explore a hidden parts of a city to find secrets and new havens while building a social network of contacts, blood dolls, and recruitable NPC companions I have the option of ghouling and/or Embracing.

Besides, I want to play my maidpire with a shotgun again.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
someone please send this conversation to pdx/obsidian

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Xinder posted:

someone please send this conversation to pdx/obsidian

"too expensive, too expensive, too expensive, competition does that better, too expensive, cannibalizes our IP, too expensive, "

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Goa Tse-tung posted:

"too expensive, too expensive, too expensive, competition does that better, too expensive, cannibalizes our IP, too expensive, "

my poor dreams

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Jokes aside, I kind of doubt it would be too expensive for them. This is the company that puts out a gajillion expansions per game and treats them like they're ongoing projects. A familiar setting like the OWoD in an ever expanding city to dicker around in in third person with new features/types of supernatural come every new DLC or expansion would basically be the urban fantasy version of Crusader Kings 2 in terms of a revenue generator. Especially since it's pretty much an untapped genre and there's like a decade of content to plumb as a base for new ideas. poo poo, you could make money for years off of that so long as the initial release wasn't a burning pile of garbage.

Not like they're doing much with the IP too. We got what was basically a visual novel phone game from a crazy guy that put a trans person he harassed in as a nosferatu abuser and a bunch of super awkward LARP's that caused more of a PR hit in some areas of the world than they gained. That's about it. This isn't Warhammer, where the tabletop battles are the game due to it being nothing but a bunch of battles on a table with figurines. Bloodlines showed you could do a game without crippling the tabletop game if there was something more to it than one off stuff like that.

Not that some suit probably wouldn't panic at the idea of using the IP though. If nothing else, at this point i'm starting to suspect that Swedish Dracula is only in it for that sweet tabletop nostalgia and would poo poo a brick at a game taking away from his precious 90's era fanboy obsession.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 13, 2018

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I could design a FTP phone game for Vampire in a day, and I've got no experience or skills. Someone with both could do even better.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Any moron off the streets could make a better game, because it took a special kind of idiot to make the last one.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

MonsieurChoc posted:

I could design a FTP phone game for Vampire in a day, and I've got no experience or skills. Someone with both could do even better.

A Hunter F2P would be very easy to whip up. Little missions fighting various gribblies, get more equipment as you go, one player created character and 2 lootbox-based characters as a party, send reserve members out on those long timed missions, they could even get fancy and add a what-traits-do-you-have investigation bit. I'm not saying it would be good but it would easy money for them.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Vitamin P posted:

A Hunter F2P would be very easy to whip up. Little missions fighting various gribblies, get more equipment as you go, one player created character and 2 lootbox-based characters as a party, send reserve members out on those long timed missions, they could even get fancy and add a what-traits-do-you-have investigation bit. I'm not saying it would be good but it would easy money for them.

You just described Daily Cthtonicle, it just lacks the free to play elements.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Daily Cthonicle also costs half as much. They're still trying to get :10bux: for rear end suck: We blood now on steam. If there is any gameplay at all, it is a better game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

If anybody wants to play a very Horror Recognition Guide / mugrim campaign pc game there is one called Darkwood out, and like most such things, it seems very Of Eastern Europe

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So what're the new setting elements Swedracula is adding to the game, which I was given to understand come out of his home LARP? I'm told that the Sabbat and others have wandered "East" to fight in the "Gehenna Wars?"

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

So what're the new setting elements Swedracula is adding to the game, which I was given to understand come out of his home LARP? I'm told that the Sabbat and others have wandered "East" to fight in the "Gehenna Wars?"

While I'm kind of surprised a list hasn't been gathered as far as I can see, it sort of makes sense considering it's still being written so isn't going to be concrete until the book comes out.

It does look like they're working off of Beckett's Jyhad Diary.

I have heard of increased skirmishing in the Middle East, the Masquerade being sort of broken, with government vampire-hunter agencies being more of an issue (something about a new Inquisition?).

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Can we just skip Vampire 5th Edition and skip straight to Vampire XP, which viciously retcons the asinine 5th edition in the spirit of returning to what worked previously?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
One of the biggest mechanical changes is that the people you suck on give you magic powers based on what they were before you ate them. This could be very interesting, if done right - unfortunately, the playtest's take on it wasn't 'and by eating nothing but the homeless for years on end, people find it harder to notice you, as though society's disdain for them has been absorbed into your very blood - but that cuts both ways (p.s. you now glow to every vampire who uses them as a regular prey pool, so good luck hiding from Nosferatu)', it was 'eat a baby to gain a free Flush of Life effect for the rest of the scene'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I'm incredibly upset that 'who you feed from can alter you' is such a solid, fitting, idea that was completely wasted to make edgelord bullshit

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Pope Guilty posted:

Can we just skip Vampire 5th Edition and skip straight to Vampire XP, which viciously retcons the asinine 5th edition in the spirit of returning to what worked previously?

You'll probably have to wait until all the other new editions come out.

In the meantime, I think there was something about player groups (maybe LARPers?) moving the plots forward? So our group in Efland would decide what happens in Efland?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Yeah, there was some poo poo about that. There's also been the release of the Storyteller's Vault, where everything is non-canon and fuckwits can self-publish their terrible vampire ideas.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Loomer posted:

Yeah, there was some poo poo about that. There's also been the release of the Storyteller's Vault, where everything is non-canon and fuckwits can self-publish their terrible vampire ideas.

I went through the Vault a while ago expecting comedy, but it was mostly mediocre and not very offensive. Some of the best offerings were location write-ups (mostly) by locals, which honestly seemed like a fair idea to pursue, especially for non-US locales, and the worst thing about the whole endeavor is just the low production values that you should expect from community content platforms like this. I was a bit surprised that no one availed themselves of the Black Dog imprint.

Of course I didn't actually buy poo poo, so this was all based on whatever sales text and previews were available.

My biggest beef* remains the terrible structure and redundancy of the layout and art files provided by White Wolf. I should check to see if they ever fixed any of that.

* Besides the exploitative nature of the thing from the word "go" I mean.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 14, 2018

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
While it's obviously a bit of a money grab I figured another point would be to find writers. I mean, some of the stuff has to be selling (I saw a review on one, for what little that means) if they find someone who manages to successfully write and sell they can put them in a talent pool.

Onyx Path has only so many writers, after all, and a lot of the older White Wolf writers have gone on to other things. If they are going to put out a treadmill or, at least, more steady stream of publications, they're going to need more people.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

That Old Tree posted:

I went through the Vault a while ago expecting comedy, but it was mostly mediocre and not very offensive. Some of the best offerings were location write-ups (mostly) by locals, which honestly seemed like a fair idea to pursue, especially for non-US locales, and the worst thing about the whole endeavor is just the low production values that you should expect from community content platforms like this. I was a bit surprised that no one availed themselves of the Black Dog imprint.

Of course I didn't actually buy poo poo, so this was all based on whatever sales text and previews were available.

My biggest beef* remains the terrible structure and redundancy of the layout and art files provided by White Wolf. I should check to see if they ever fixed any of that.

* Besides the exploitative nature of the thing from the word "go" I mean.

I'm still tempted to write up that adventure that's just the Russian Revolution, a timeline of events that can/will occur and a list of target Elders to destroy.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

^^^^^ Honestly for a game like Vampire it would be pretty cool to have a bunch of little period-guides with ways to (gently, without a Viking Hat) wrangle PCs towards what really happened, and interesting, cool things to do with Real History when PCs happen to it anyway.

That Old Tree posted:

lol of course they didn't—but they did release templates for Dark Ages (both versions) and Victorian Age.

Holy loving poo poo one of these is a 580MB file with ~133MB of pointless redundancy. Why are they so bad at this!?!?

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 14, 2018

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Do we have any idea how many people are actually working on 5th Edition? It might just be Swedracula making his fanfic canon at this point.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kavak posted:

Do we have any idea how many people are actually working on 5th Edition? It might just be Swedracula making his fanfic canon at this point.

The credits on the front of the Alpha Playtest are:

quote:

Kenneth Hite, Jason Andrew, Matthew Dawkins, with guidance, editing, and contributions from Karim Muammar, Martin Ericsson, and Jason Carl

Plus Mark Rein-Hagen is involved in some way. This might just be stunt-casting like Grabowski being on EX3 writing a section on economics (that I'm pretty sure was either cut or never even happened).

I'm sure they have an actual development team and writers who are writing things, and will produce some kind of product. It's not at all unusual for RPG products to just plain be delayed all the loving time, and 5th edition isn't even in first drafts and they haven't pretended it's anywhere close to release. So, eh.

I'm pretty disappointed to see Matt Dawkins in there, since he's taken on more and more stuff for CoD and I hate when the two touch in any way. But, then, Ken Hite was already there and I like NBA too. :smith:

But that was also a while ago and I don't follow it any closer than whatever happens to pop up in this thread and on RPGnet.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 14, 2018

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

nofather posted:

Onyx Path has only so many writers, after all, and a lot of the older White Wolf writers have gone on to other things. If they are going to put out a treadmill or, at least, more steady stream of publications, they're going to need more people.

The gap between their "Netflix series by X!" plan and what they seem to actually be doing is hilarious honestly. Like they've announced this huge multimedia setting and we've seen signs of what, exactly? Honestly a quick F2P Hunter phone game would be great for them, it would bring in a few bucks and open up the setting to an entire new 'vampires and modern supernatural' market that would never, ever hear of WoD otherwise. They have a huge library of enemies and plotlines to draw on and the best part is, they can keep it vague. Have learning a little bit about the enemies be part of the gameplay loop and hook players into wanting to know more about the setting. Where's the entry point YA novelettes, the comic books, a corny youtube-vlogger-poet-succumbs-to-vampirism series. Anything that's fairly cheap to knock out they should be throwing at the wall to see what sticks, get eyes on the IP and try to make some hooks so people might actually watch whatever character-based TV shows and movies they are fantasising about.

nofather posted:

In the meantime, I think there was something about player groups (maybe LARPers?) moving the plots forward? So our group in Efland would decide what happens in Efland?

This is such a nice idea but such a tightrope too. Can't wait to be a new player walking into 48-year-old lifestyle player Raven Insomnias canon-approved turf.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Vitamin P posted:

The gap between their "Netflix series by X!" plan and what they seem to actually be doing is hilarious honestly. Like they've announced this huge multimedia setting and we've seen signs of what, exactly? Honestly a quick F2P Hunter phone game would be great for them, it would bring in a few bucks and open up the setting to an entire new 'vampires and modern supernatural' market that would never, ever hear of WoD otherwise. They have a huge library of enemies and plotlines to draw on and the best part is, they can keep it vague. Have learning a little bit about the enemies be part of the gameplay loop and hook players into wanting to know more about the setting. Where's the entry point YA novelettes, the comic books, a corny youtube-vlogger-poet-succumbs-to-vampirism series. Anything that's fairly cheap to knock out they should be throwing at the wall to see what sticks, get eyes on the IP and try to make some hooks so people might actually watch whatever character-based TV shows and movies they are fantasising about.

Expanding the hobby base is the most anti-grognard idea possible and thus anything leading to it will not happen. This is Swedracula's vanity project where he gets to make his fanfiction canon and he hasn't thought any further than that. His most ambitious idea might be resurrecting the MMO somehow, but good loving luck building one of those from scratch without more money than Paradox would ever risk.

EDIT: I was looking for White Wolf's exact financial situation with Paradox and found this https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf/ Is that description counting Onyx Path's books, or did they miss the mark that hard? And why has it not been updated in two years?

Kavak fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 14, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

LARP-IT integration of metaplot is a lot of things, “a good idea” is not one of them.

Anyway if that was going to happen, it would have happened. I doubt nuWW has the resources or the management acumen to even attempt such a project (though it would be riveting if they did even so). He’s an ideas man through and through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Basic Chunnel posted:

LARP-IT integration of metaplot is a lot of things, “a good idea” is not one of them.

Anyway if that was going to happen, it would have happened. I doubt nuWW has the resources or the management acumen to even attempt such a project (though it would be riveting if they did even so). He’s an ideas man through and through

"But it worked great for L5R!"