Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lagnar
Feb 23, 2013

Poil posted:

The reformation just branched out in Bohemia and converted their capital to Reformed but it didn't spawn a center of reformation like Protestantism did (which first spawned in Lithuania lol?).

Speaking of Lithuania is it just me or does Poland have complete butter fingers when trying to hold on to the PU? It falls apart so quickly every single time for me.

I've definitely seen Poland having PU issues with Lithuania a lot more since the last patch, also seeing them turn down the initial event a hell of a lot.

Funnily enough, I keep seeing them involved in PU's with other countries all the time now. Last game had them get into a war over France against...Naples. (they won, and then lost France shortly after).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've had a lot of games lately where the PU never even happens.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Was this added in some of the latest patches? Doing a nice and relaxing Ottoman game and I didn't know Sunni nations could manually convert to other religions, let alone a religion with only provinces half the world away.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

I've had a lot of games lately where the PU never even happens.

I think it's a straight 25% chance for Poland to turn down the PU.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

oh hey ming just collapsed into rebel hell all on its own in my mahajapit game :getin:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so err. Asking for a friend... how brutal is over-extension these days? Now I'm not saying I got carried away, but my country is currently sitting on 105% over-extension. I can release a vassal to take me juuuust below the threshold, but I'd rather not do that because a bunch of cores will also go with it if I do so. Alternatively in 10 months a couple of cores will complete that should take me to below 100%.

Can I ride it out or will it be blood and tears and real agony if I try?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

double nine posted:

so err. Asking for a friend... how brutal is over-extension these days? Now I'm not saying I got carried away, but my country is currently sitting on 105% over-extension. I can release a vassal to take me juuuust below the threshold, but I'd rather not do that because a bunch of cores will also go with it if I do so. Alternatively in 10 months a couple of cores will complete that should take me to below 100%.

105 isn't that bad, 150 is a much harsher break point.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

10 months is barely long enough to notice it. :v:

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

double nine posted:

if you have never gone "eh, gently caress it" and taken yourself above 140 you have never truly lived.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

when you, france, get a pu over castile and castile gets the netherlands in the burgundian succession

:worship:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Yeah pushing overextension over 200 is a fun end game challenge (rebels will peter out before long so you're mainly just dealing with the rad events)

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
was playing a mp game of ck2 with a bunch of friends and we got bored around 927. so i exported at the end of our final session today.

There's pretty much no way we're not continuing it now. (I'm OPM Spagonia. was playing a trading republic pre-export.)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

As Denmark, just PUd Russia. To integrate them I need 15 more provinces, but it's easy to keep liberty desire at 0% with a little development in Russian provinces.

https://imgur.com/gallery/jQmoyvl

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

EDIT: On second perusing, I see that House Rose (The current ruling family of Ireland-England) inherited 2 kings ago, and the first two were Norman culture, it's just their grandson who went Irish. Torn between just making it England then, and having them climb back up from a much weaker than vanilla position (Especially because Scotland is PU'ing Norway, so they got more clout than usual), or leaving it Ireland and giving them only a few cores on England.

I’d say make it England and have some early game events/disaster about the King being a foreigner to the nobility.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

As Denmark, just PUd Russia. To integrate them I need 15 more provinces, but it's easy to keep liberty desire at 0% with a little development in Russian provinces.

https://imgur.com/gallery/jQmoyvl

I'm more impressed by that Fars and Malwa

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
So here's a fun scenario:

I'm Japan. That gigantic tumor of a nation is the Ming, with their ally Korea. In the upper right corner is Jianzhou, which I very intelligently thought to ally with in the hopes that together we might be able to deter the Ming.

That did not work out well.

Jianzhou, naturally, got utterly stomped, and now all or nearly all of their territory is occupied by the Ming-Korea alliance. Which meant it was basically me against Korea and Mr. Tumor up there.

Fortunately for me, I'd been building up my own Navy, enough that by itself it was barely superior to the Ming navy. This helped me out a great deal as I began to chase around stray Ming and Korean ships, then ended up taking an unfortunate turn when I stumbled into a combined Ming-Korea fleet, that hosed up my navy and sent me back to the ports.

But, much to my surprise, I ended up getting generous gifts of money and loans from nations like the Shun and other countries in Ming's orbit that are, for some reason, not wanting Ming to dominate the entirety of Asia. This was money that I used to build back up my navy and add a few extra units of infantry (who I was already stationing in Japan to contain unrest after I reduced the autonomy of a few provinces). After a few close calls, I ended up successfully securing mainland Japan against the Ming and Korea navy, which seemed to me to indicate that I could happily spend the rest of the war picking off various ships while I waited for their War Exhaustion to expire, until I realized Ming had sent a fleet of transports down to the Phillipines preparing to dock 11,000 men to occupy my colonies, with me not having enough transport ships down there to move the units I had stationed there into a good defensive position.

My main fleet was too far away to get to them in time, so, with mere days before they made land, I sent four ships down to intercept the transports, dooming them in the process, but delaying the transports long enough for my main fleet to come in and repel the Ming.

So now, I don't have nearly enough soldiers to successfully fight the Ming and Korea on land, but I do have a navy big enough for me to hold them back, at least for the time being. So basically, I made the wrong alliance, got a gigantic army on my rear end, and my only hope of getting out of this involves either Jianzhou surrendering, or me wearing their navy down enough that the gigantic tumor takes its tumescent attention elsewhere.

This game is loving awesome.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Separate peace out and next time manufacture a trade conflict casus belli for that sweet sweet Blockade Ports wargoal.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Xanderkish posted:

I'm Japan. That gigantic tumor of a nation is the Ming, with their ally Korea. In the upper right corner is Jianzhou, which I very intelligently thought to ally with in the hopes that together we might be able to deter the Ming.

That did not work out well.

Jianzhou, naturally, got utterly stomped, and now all or nearly all of their territory is occupied by the Ming-Korea alliance. Which meant it was basically me against Korea and Mr. Tumor up there.

Fortunately for me, I'd been building up my own Navy, enough that by itself it was barely superior to the Ming navy. This helped me out a great deal as I began to chase around stray Ming and Korean ships, then ended up taking an unfortunate turn when I stumbled into a combined Ming-Korea fleet, that hosed up my navy and sent me back to the ports.

But, much to my surprise, I ended up getting generous gifts of money and loans from nations like the Shun and other countries in Ming's orbit that are, for some reason, not wanting Ming to dominate the entirety of Asia. This was money that I used to build back up my navy and add a few extra units of infantry (who I was already stationing in Japan to contain unrest after I reduced the autonomy of a few provinces). After a few close calls, I ended up successfully securing mainland Japan against the Ming and Korea navy, which seemed to me to indicate that I could happily spend the rest of the war picking off various ships while I waited for their War Exhaustion to expire, until I realized Ming had sent a fleet of transports down to the Phillipines preparing to dock 11,000 men to occupy my colonies, with me not having enough transport ships down there to move the units I had stationed there into a good defensive position.

My main fleet was too far away to get to them in time, so, with mere days before they made land, I sent four ships down to intercept the transports, dooming them in the process, but delaying the transports long enough for my main fleet to come in and repel the Ming.

So now, I don't have nearly enough soldiers to successfully fight the Ming and Korea on land, but I do have a navy big enough for me to hold them back, at least for the time being. So basically, I made the wrong alliance, got a gigantic army on my rear end, and my only hope of getting out of this involves either Jianzhou surrendering, or me wearing their navy down enough that the gigantic tumor takes its tumescent attention elsewhere.

This game is loving awesome.

In my game I had to build a huge navy to fight off the Ming menace. They have 150k troops. They declared war on me over Taiwan but my fleet crushed theirs over and over until they gave up on building ships. Unfortunately, the war only ticked up to about 30 for me and their war exhaustion stalled around 9 (wanted to drive them to 20 and hope rebels could crack them) so I peaced out and made them un-tributary the Philippines, so now I added them to my South Pacific holdings. I took over Japan with Oda and kept their ideas because they are really quite fantastic. I just need to take the rest of Indonesia now and then push into Indochina then I might be big enough to give Ming a run for his money finally.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
How can I destroy centers of reformation? Playing as Austria, the first one spawned in Lorraine in 1513, I quickly declare war and annex their 3 provinces but there is nothing I can do to the center. There was no option in the peace deal either, is it because Lorraine was technically still a catholic nation?

I watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI0aU3PEir0 a couple of times and he doesn't mention any other way than the peace deal or missionaries, but the center of reformation has a -100% modifier...

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
USUALLY a center of reformation shouldn't actually have the -100 modifier? The center spawning itself doesn't trigger the recently converted modifier, that should only happen if it was already converted by some other process and THEN spawned a center of reformation. And yeah, it wasn't in the peace deal because Lorraine was still catholic. At this point your options are wait 20 years or whatever until the Religious Zeal goes away, OR, give it back to lorraine, wait until they convert, trucebreak and force conversion in the resulting peace.

EDIT: Actually vassal force conversion would work too i think, so that could save you a trucebreak as long as it's their natural capital, which is the only province that converts along with them.

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 15, 2018

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I was under the impression the -100 modifier is intended and only goes away after 20 (?) years. So you really want them to spawn in OPMs or capitals, since force converting as part of a peace deal or via vassal interaction removes the CoR. Not sure if they reintroduced the limit of 3 CoRs per game per faith or not.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Can something cause the Reformed CoRs to completely fizzle out? In my Denmark game Protestant is doing great but I don't know if "The Reformation Branches Out" even fired and I never noticed any Reformed provinces.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Can something cause the Reformed CoRs to completely fizzle out? In my Denmark game Protestant is doing great but I don't know if "The Reformation Branches Out" even fired and I never noticed any Reformed provinces.

Reformed is, I think, totally bugged at the moment. The event fired in my Austria game but no CoRs ever appeared and no one ever converted.

Talking of, here's how that turned out. I could have been this powerful in 1600, but I decided not to revoke the privilegia until after I inherited Bohemia because it felt lame to let someone else take the Bohemian throne, even as my vassal.

Religion. A couple princes converted in between Ewiger Landfriede and revoking, which is annoying because you can no longer declare war on them and because the league wars never fire you can't enforce religious unity either. I've since used the vassal interaction to stamp out the heretics.

Diplo view. France can suck it.

Nothing super interesting going on in rotw unfortunately, unless you count Delhi and Tims both failing to explode.

Hell yeah

In case it wasn’t obvious, this is a really strong strategy even if like me you play very suboptimally. I’ve always taken the approach of letting Italy leave and then conquering all the Italian minors to get rich and powerful and add all the land for IA, but keeping them all onboard gives you much more IA in the long run. The hardest parts of the play through are the rush to rein in Northern Italy (I literally only peaced out the pope for the last time in Nov 1489) and the war to PU Pol-Lit, which is just a big manpower sapping extravaganza that leaves you vulnerable to Ottos, Russia, and France as long as it lasts. The war to PU Castile/Spain is also a bit of a logistical headache (you better pray for someone to get you military access through France somehow) but not a hard fight. I did get a bit lucky not having to fight for the Low Countries, but really most of the time this was a breeze, fighting only countries that are way weaker than me.

skasion fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 15, 2018

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
After roughly a million hours I've finally started playing on Hard and its not as bad as I was expecting. Wars are only slightly more difficult and I actually like not being able to ally literally anyone who isn't your rival.

Started off trying the White Elephant achievement. Was really easy until the last 6 provinces I needed because Ming got mad enough to break my Tributary. Managed to fight them to 15% because tropical mountain forts are insane and declared the last 2 wars I needed right before white peacing.

Now I'm working on Luck of the Irish. Ate all the other Irish, then ate most of Scotland when England declared, then took London and the other English forts when they were getting murdered by War of the Roses rebels. Should be pretty simple from this point.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Thanks for the help. I loaded a save before the war and waited for Lorraine to fully convert to protestantism, then declaring the religious cb to destroy the center.

isn't age of discovery supposed to end 10y after the first center appears? I've usually gotten a notification about that but haven't gotten one now.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

skasion posted:

Reformed is, I think, totally bugged at the moment. The event fired in my Austria game but no CoRs ever appeared and no one ever converted.

I was wondering if that was bugged. I've noticed the same, no CoRs are showing up when the Reformed event happens.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It must be bugged, I had the same thing.

edit
Would be a good time if you want to HRE it up as emprah however.

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 16, 2018

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Reformed isn't totally bugged. It did okay in my "The Iron Price" game:

But I have had several games where it was a non-starter.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
In my Theodoro game protestantism is mainly on the British isles while a good chunk of northern Germany is reformed. Great Britain became leader of the protestant league during the league wars and since no one invaded them the protestants ended up wnning. The HRE is down to the emperor and one lonely elector.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Going for the Bunte Kuh achievement with the date currently sitting at 1730 and there's only protestantism and catholicism around. I don't think a single reformed center popped. If other people are getting it though, maybe it's working as intended?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Xanderkish posted:

That's great. I keep reading that the navies aren't that valuable in this game but I have no idea what people are talking about. Maybe they aren't playing in games with islands or overseas territory? The light ships pay for themselves protecting trade and so you slowly build up a big fleet while setting aside a little for a growing fleet of heavies (which I just keep mothballed in a safe port between wars—it takes a month or three for them to get up to full strength). Fleets are expensive and slow to build, so if you can get good at taking out other people's navies, things tend to snowball in your favour.

As the Netherlands, I just ended up in a war I didn't want with England who had nearly twice as many troops as I have. Navies made this irrelevant. I methodically hunted and trapped their fleets in ports. The ledger makes it easy to track how many ships are still at large. Once the naval war was over, the entire Dutch army crossed the channel, took out the meagre home defence forces and then were free to siege down the entire British Isles, eventually forcing every blockaded ship from their port into the waiting guns of the Orange navy. The British had more then 100k troops that I simply never saw. To this day, I have no idea where they were. Probably in India?

So now I own London (this may have been a mistake, but it was too tempting to pass up) and 90% of the trade in the English Channel. It will take them years to rebuild their navy while mine can only grow.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Navies are important, they're just not as important as armies. You're right that if you play in a region with lots of coastline and islands, establishing naval superiority is a really big deal. But with rare exception, you can't win a war with just your navy. You still need boots on the ground. Comparatively, there are plenty of wars where you don't need a navy at all.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It's relatively easy to preempt in the most common situation to (invading Britain.) If you ally Scotland, move a bunch of troops up to Scotland befor3hand and declare, whoops it doesn't matter how great England's navy is.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Oh England has 100000k troops, awesome and/or how awful, soon they will attack/come to my aid and kill/save me!

*never sees a single englishman

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Oh England has 100000k troops, awesome and/or how awful, soon they will attack/come to my aid and kill/save me!

Every single game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Amphibious operations are one thing that this game, for all the AI tweaks they’ve made over the years, still just can’t deal with. This is really obvious once you’ve revoked the privilegia for example: you now have on your side an unquestioning horde of 500k vassal soldiers who will quite literally march from Germany to Kamchatka and win the war for you while Kaiser Friedrich XI “the Lazy” sits around with his finger up his bum, but even though between them the vassal princes must have at least a hundred transport ships, if you tell them to invade England you will have to do 99% of the work yourself.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

appropriatemetaphor posted:

not true dude if you are fighting a colonial power england will deathstack 40k troops on some island in the caribbean and start hemorrhaging manpower from attrition

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

pog boyfriend posted:

if you have never gone "eh, gently caress it" and taken yourself above 140 you have never truly lived.

I hit like 250% once in a Cherokee game while working on No Trail of Tears, and that was back when westernization was a thing. :eyepop:

Xanderkish posted:

But, much to my surprise, I ended up getting generous gifts of money and loans from nations like the Shun and other countries in Ming's orbit that are, for some reason, not wanting Ming to dominate the entirety of Asia.

The loan/gift/subsidy stuff that happens when you're at war with a nation feared/hated by their neighbors is really my favorite part of this game. I wish the AI was more active with that in other situations, like if Ottomans rivals would subsidy/gift Ottomans neighbors whenever the Ottos look off-balance (not necessarily just at war).

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Roadie posted:

The loan/gift/subsidy stuff that happens when you're at war with a nation feared/hated by their neighbors is really my favorite part of this game. I wish the AI was more active with that in other situations, like if Ottomans rivals would subsidy/gift Ottomans neighbors whenever the Ottos look off-balance (not necessarily just at war).
It's more historically accurate that they don't if I'm remembering correctly, not that that should be the arbiter of game design but lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Aaah. This game rules.

Still playing the Netherlands. Have learned that it was a mistake to plan on a long Alliance with France as in time they’d get to -200 wants your subject’s provinces (lists all of North and South America). Best buds Bohemia has been super stable though and together we’ve been whittling down Austria (head of HRE) incidentally to a bunch of other land wars.

So this most recent war. We manage to occupy all of Austria along the way to me annexing Cologne. They start offering separate peace so I decide to see what we can get out of them. A little land for Bohemia, some Ducats and I still have plenty of warscore leftover. For funsies I try “force religion change”. They accept and instantly Bohemia is elected head of the HRE. Did not expect that at all.

Hoping this leads to good times for me.