Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Sniep posted:

good luck, i was just there tonight (for other purposes, but still snagged a pic)

Yeah you have to ask the sales reps which days they get shipments in and line up outside of the store before opening time on those days. I did that back in May 2017 because at that time you could buy cards there and resell them on ebay for twice or more the amount. Now I'd do it just to be able to buy the cards at all, inflated price or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Sniep posted:

good luck, i was just there tonight (for other purposes, but still snagged a pic)

lol are you kidding me? I thought this "you can't find a video card" was a healthy amount of hyperbole. I stand corrected.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

lol are you kidding me? I thought this "you can't find a video card" was a healthy amount of hyperbole. I stand corrected.

Can't find them online either other than ebay where you pay 50-100% over MSRP

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/slashdot/status/952395936738824193

I hope it comes soon!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
^^^^
warren buffet also doesnt understand what cryptocurrency is or how it works. Yeah its inflated bullshit buts thats the extent of his knowledge.

MaxxBot posted:

Can't find them online either other than ebay where you pay 50-100% over MSRP

use nowinstock. You can easily buy a few cards a week at the now normal +$50 prices.
I have been flipping them locally and keeping the especially good ones for the rig im building. Free money and heatstroke here we go.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

Frys

e: it's not even just GPUs, PSUs are mia and inflated

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 14, 2018

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I've been holding off on upgrading from my 7870 for years now, with my plan being to jump on a new generation right around when it became totally unworkable. I figured I'd save some money that way, skipping as many generations as I can.

well, now I'm basically at the point where I have to upgrade. I wasn't feeling too worried about it since I figured the 1170s must be right around the corner by now.

reading the last few pages, I guess I made a huge mistake. gently caress.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Holy gently caress, seriously, gently caress all miners. That's ridiculous...

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Koramei posted:

reading the last few pages, I guess I made a huge mistake. gently caress.

Keep in mind the 1050 is probably equivalent to your card and the 1050ti is a slight step forward. What I'm getting at here is, your card is not as ancient as the guy in another thread who was using a GTX 200 or something.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I’m really tempted to list my old 770 for a few hundred bucks on eBay just to see if someone will bite.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

tehinternet posted:

I’m really tempted to list my old 770 for a few hundred bucks on eBay just to see if someone will bite.

At this point, someone just might.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
All this poo poo makes me really happy I bought a 1080 Ti back in May because I figured Vega would be a flop, and there'd be no better card for a long time. Not only was that 100% correct, little did I know there was an even better reason to buy back then.

I could probably get some good money for the 290X I still have, but it's in my wife's PC. Eh, it's not worth the trouble. What a crazy market situation.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 14, 2018

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

otoh if you want to irreversibly quit high settings in video games there's a way to come out ahead!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

If I had like a 970 lying around or something I'd absolutely sell my 1080 at these inflated prices and come out ahead.

I just don't use the thing enough, and power costs here make mining 24/7 really not a fantastic proposition.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm glad I was able to get a 1080 from amazon last week for a slightly inflated but reasonable price. It seems like a couple of days afterwards everything sold out. My GTX 970 had a factory OC and couldn't go much above it but the 1080 is just reference speed and OC's decently in afterburner.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Holy poo poo ya’ll weren’t kidding about these GPU prices. The $660 1080ti I got last summer feels like the best tech deal I’ve ever got. Between this and RAM prices I feel awful for anyone trying to build a PC right now, better off buying a prebuilt right now.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 14, 2018

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Rastor posted:

If I were a GPU manufacturer I would publish a store app in Steam which allowed you to purchase one (1) GPU upgrade for immediate shipping at MSRP if your system hardware showed you were on a gaming PC that needed an upgrade.

Why? GPU manufacturers like money. They're not in it for charity.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Which run on what? Oh yeah, the VBIOS again.

Even if you cleverly design it as just a straight-up OpenGL graphics shader (like the early GPGPU days), you still have to get the data back off the chip somehow. Modern DRM is designed to provide end-to-end security between the CPU and screen to prevent data leakage of this type. HDCP is a one-way street, by design.

Render-to-texture is a thing games expect to exist, though? I mean, it's used for various effects and also things like computer monitors within game worlds or whatever. Their magic VBIOS would have to somehow determine whether a given shader is 'for games' or 'for compute'. That's not really possible as a general thing.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I remember years ago a hack I saw was rendering a blank offscreen window in order to do compute stuff before there was a real library for it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

feedmegin posted:

While trying to enforce MSRP is a hilariously losing proposition for everyone in the sales chain, limiting purchases to X units does make sense: if you're confident you can sell out anyhow (and right now they absolutely are), spreading the products around gets you better PR and general feelings from the unwashed masses, rather than letting one dude buy them all up and leave everyone else pissed off that they can't buy any.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

feedmegin posted:

Render-to-texture is a thing games expect to exist, though? I mean, it's used for various effects and also things like computer monitors within game worlds or whatever. Their magic VBIOS would have to somehow determine whether a given shader is 'for games' or 'for compute'. That's not really possible as a general thing.

Where does this texture get rendered to? Oh yeah, the monitor.

I don't think most gaming titles actually enforce HDCP. Trust the money involved, you cannot actually/should not be able to leak data back from the framebuffer back to the CPU when HDCP is activated. That is kind of the point of HDCP, in fact.

Like, I'm not getting how you don't understand that HDCP is also a thing that drivers expect to exist, and can (securely) refuse to work if it doesn't exist. Again, kind of the point of a secure render chain.

Will NVIDIA? No.

Could NVIDIA? Yes. Again, it hasn't been your hardware since they started enforcing VBIOS signatures.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 14, 2018

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
I play on PC since 1991, and I never had a GPU (or whole system) survive as long and not getting replaced as my 980Ti. I usually replace a card with each generation. While it is a GPU from summer 2015, I can still play all games on 2560*1440 on maxed out Settings.

31 (!) months after 980TI’s launch, there are still only 3 NVIDIA GPUs faster (1080, 1080Ti, Titan P). When did that happen last time within the NVIDIA GPU history?
The 780Ti for example had to face the Titan Black, 970 and 980 within 10 months.

The game benchmarks of a new NVIDIA xx80 card this spring or early summer should hopefully and literally provide 100 % of a 980TI’s performance in the same testbuilds and settings and games at 1440p.
This would mean the 980Ti will have been able to compete at the 2 most common resolutions 1080p and 1440p (sometimes around but mostly way above 60 avg fps) for absurd 3 years without needing to reduce gfx settings in any way.
The fantastic oc potentials mean you could easily use this card for another 1 or 2 years unless game engines and DX12 or whatever tank the fps seriously.

Imho the 980 Ti is the „best“ gaming GPU of the last years performance and money wise, and leading not even close.

Goons opinions on that matter ?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Yeah I would the put the 970 in the same category as well, both offered a really good value and still perform well today. The 960 and 980 weren't priced as aggressively as either of those cards were. Maxwell was a hell of a generation hence why Pascal is basically shrunk down and sped up Maxwell.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 14, 2018

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The 970 and 980 ti are standout winners from the Maxwell generation. The 970 being priced outside of the expected price/performance curve and later on the 980 ti performing so well but using a lot of power so no one cared about it for mining. Oh no, an extra dollar a month to play games, I'll let that eat into the 300 dollars saved compared to getting a 1080 now.

I'll still try to get the next generation x80 card because it's what I've done for every generation except Fermi since that reviewed so poorly in areas I care about. That time around I got a second 280 instead of a Fermi, SLI isn't as much of an option this time if I end up not liking Ampere.

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

Yeah, I sold my 970 to a friend and picked up a secondhand 980ti for relatively cheap (~£340) just after Pascal was announced, and despite upgrading to a 1440p monitor since then, I haven't felt the need to upgrade at all.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
You guys are right, the 970 should be mentioned. For Full HD / 1080p gaming the 970 still is amazingly solid even over 3 years after launch as well, and the 970 was a serious slam dunk on AMD with an impact that AMD could not recover from until today (which is not good for us customers).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Scott Wasson interview: How far the respected have fallen.

https://videocardz.com/74753/amds-scott-wasson-talks-about-the-future-of-radeon

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Mr.PayDay posted:

I play on PC since 1991, and I never had a GPU (or whole system) survive as long and not getting replaced as my 980Ti. I usually replace a card with each generation. While it is a GPU from summer 2015, I can still play all games on 2560*1440 on maxed out Settings.

31 (!) months after 980TI’s launch, there are still only 3 NVIDIA GPUs faster (1080, 1080Ti, Titan P). When did that happen last time within the NVIDIA GPU history?
The 780Ti for example had to face the Titan Black, 970 and 980 within 10 months.

The game benchmarks of a new NVIDIA xx80 card this spring or early summer should hopefully and literally provide 100 % of a 980TI’s performance in the same testbuilds and settings and games at 1440p.
This would mean the 980Ti will have been able to compete at the 2 most common resolutions 1080p and 1440p (sometimes around but mostly way above 60 avg fps) for absurd 3 years without needing to reduce gfx settings in any way.
The fantastic oc potentials mean you could easily use this card for another 1 or 2 years unless game engines and DX12 or whatever tank the fps seriously.

Imho the 980 Ti is the „best“ gaming GPU of the last years performance and money wise, and leading not even close.

Goons opinions on that matter ?

The 1070ti is probably faster than your 980ti, so 4 cards. A 290/290X would be pretty close at being great for the money ($200) and longevity.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Huh, looks like im stuck with this RX480 for the foreseeable future. Lets hope my wine ages well.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redeyes posted:

Huh, looks like im stuck with this RX480 for the foreseeable future. Lets hope my wine ages well.

You did it wrong AMD and now it's vinegar

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

The 1070ti is probably faster than your 980ti, so 4 cards. A 290/290X would be pretty close at being great for the money ($200) and longevity.

:doh:
welp, you are right.
Please allow me doing some mental gymnastics and put it this way:
There are 4 cards that outpace the 980Ti but they are placed not in 4 but in fact in only 2 tiers of Nvidia GPU‘s after 31 months that are a step up fps wise:
1.) The 1070Ti and 1080 (very similar performance, 30-40% above 980Ti)
2.)The 1080Ti + Titan P (very similar performance, 70-80% above 980Ti)

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 14, 2018

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

feedmegin posted:

The idea being not to maximize profit in the short term but rather to earn goodwill and brand loyalty for the long term.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
nvidia can do no wrong in the eyes of its customers already, pretty sure you can't go up from there

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Truga posted:

nvidia can do no wrong in the eyes of its customers already, pretty sure you can't go up from there

Sorry, I should have said AIB manufacturer, not GPU manufacturer. Common parlance is to call the whole card product a GPU.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Rastor posted:

Sorry, I should have said AIB manufacturer, not GPU manufacturer. Common parlance is to call the whole card product a GPU.

I don't think Joe America has much of an opinion on specific AIB manufacturers, either. He just wants to buy a shiny new card at a good price, and isn't likely to care much about whether it's MSI or EVGA or Gigabyte or whatever--especially if the current trend of them all overclocking to virtually the same point regardless of make or model repeats itself.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Fauxtool posted:

You did it wrong AMD and now it's vinegar

It is vinegar. It's the buggiest video card i've ever had.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I visited 3 computer stores today, I only saw sub 1050/560 cards on the shelves. Anecdotal from the manager at one store; a 1080ti shipment came in and lasted 20 minutes from store opening a few days prior.

The end of times

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

DrDork posted:

I don't think Joe America has much of an opinion on specific AIB manufacturers, either. He just wants to buy a shiny new card at a good price, and isn't likely to care much about whether it's MSI or EVGA or Gigabyte or whatever--especially if the current trend of them all overclocking to virtually the same point regardless of make or model repeats itself.

I dunno; I’ve had nothing but good experiences with EVGA and actively seek out their stock over others. I’d have to see a clear benefit to changing to someone else for me to change —which I would, I’m not fanboying, I’m saying that I’ve got first hand experience with them and they’ve been good so I’d need a clear reason to switch to say, MSI.

I would think I’m probably a bit of an outlier with this train of thought.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Even if it's true that there's currently very little brand loyalty, doesn't that prove my point? This could have been a chance to earn some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

When I registered my EVGA 1080 yesterday I was surprised by a couple of things. The stock warranty is 3 years, and there were options to buy +2 years for $30 or +7 years for $60. There was also an option to buy a faster replacement cross-shipping RMA method ahead of time for between $30 and $60. Apparently I have 90 days to opt into the longer warranty (which they said is not transferrable) and 30 days to decide if I want to give them money so that if there is a problem I need to RMA for, it won't be a big deal.

The first one I understand, the second seems like kind of a dick move.