Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

Probably because Nurgle has been the one attacking Shyish lately plus they got lots of releases. I have a feeling the Nurgle focus will die down a bit later.

I'm quite happy about their involvement, one of the things i've always like about warhammer is the stories about one set of bad guys fighting another set of bad guys, mostly because its interesting to see the clashing values and desires instead of the "and then the good guys were good and the bad guys were bad". Nagash vs. Nurgle is way more interesting to me than Nagash vs. Stormcast for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
It's gonna be a Free for All, but it is nice that it's poo poo that Nagash has instigated and that it's another antagonist faction leading the charge to stop it. It'd be neat for Order's plotline to be trying to make sense of the entire thing as the audience avatar while the other 3 factions are already in the thick of it.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

its called a keeper of secrets you loving philistine

Whatever, it’s a boob monster

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Zuul the Cat posted:

Whatever, it’s a boob monster

Not to be confused with monster boobs

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

AnEdgelord posted:

Not to be confused with monster boobs

Yeah, different slaanesh daemon.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

How is your mum, by the way?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Still dead.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's time. For GW to ask you to buy and paint stuff.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/01/13/malign-portents-the-muster-beginsgw-homepage-post-1/

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Woah, wristbands

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Should've offered a limited edition teapot.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Limited edition deodorant.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I hope there are more prizes then that.

Anyway a cool piece of Art from Malign Portents.

It appears that Order, Chaos and Desturction will work together against Death here.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
its cool to see gw generously spending tens of dollars on prize support for its big push to get everyone buying more poo poo

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I bought a start collecting set at the beginning of this month and it’s still shrink wrapped. Apparently it’s ineligible because you have to buy a new one.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Zuul the Cat posted:

I bought a start collecting set at the beginning of this month and it’s still shrink wrapped. Apparently it’s ineligible because you have to buy a new one.

My local GW is being pretty lenient and let folks start a week or two ago.

I bought the Malignants box yesterday and I also went ahead and got the stuff for month three for them (more Spirit Hosts, Morghasts and Arkhan). Should be fun to paint.

The prizes are :effort: but idk, I just like having motivation to paint

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Edit: Nevermind, I found the info with a google search as I should of done to begin with.

Rats rats rats rats rats

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 14, 2018

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

It appears that Order, Chaos and Desturction will work together against Death here.

I think it's Death against everyone else.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Say you got it as a gift and it's not an army you own. Return it. Come in a few hours later. Rebuy it. Problem solved.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think it's Death against everyone else.

Say you got it as a gift and it's not an army you own. Return it. Come in a few hours later. Rebuy it. Problem solved.

I was going to do this, but the managers attitude was so lovely I lost interest in participating in it. I’ll just paint my stuff at my own speed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zuul the Cat posted:

I was going to do this, but the managers attitude was so lovely I lost interest in participating in it. I’ll just paint my stuff at my own speed.

I have a feeling the Facebook would be nicer and allow it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Danimo posted:

My local GW is being pretty lenient and let folks start a week or two ago.

I bought the Malignants box yesterday and I also went ahead and got the stuff for month three for them (more Spirit Hosts, Morghasts and Arkhan). Should be fun to paint.

The prizes are :effort: but idk, I just like having motivation to paint

Please say you just bought Start Collecting Skeleton Hordes rather then Arkhan on his own. I just can't help but see it as a waste if you do.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

thats a whole lot of work for the chance to get a loving wristband. only if theyre a slap bracelet would i consider it

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Seems dumb for a store manager to exclude someone from an event focused on buying stuff.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I seriously hope they have more prizes then just that. Like a Free Copy of the book or something.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Please say you just bought Start Collecting Skeleton Hordes rather then Arkhan on his own. I just can't help but see it as a waste if you do.

The Neferata-themed Battleforce Box, actually. It has the Morghasts in it too. It helps that I always want more skeletons.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Danimo posted:

The Neferata-themed Battleforce Box, actually. It has the Morghasts in it too. It helps that I always want more skeletons.

Good idea. I should probably get that at some point too as I am building a Death Army and I do want all three Mortarchs.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Got in my first Skaven game today and it was a resounding victory. The game is pretty fun and easy to pick up. All my rats are still on square bases but it was kind of nice to see them all moving as one big blob across the table. The rank and file looks nice but the disorganized rat murder blob has it's own visual flair. After sitting in storage for forever, it was good to see the army back out on the board.

So the Warp Lightning Cannon was great if a bit random but the Warp Fire Throwers are monsters. I put two into the list since I had them lying around and folks wanted to go to 1250 and they were just murdering Stormcasts. I just kept overcharging them, since why not, and was just spraying mortal wounds into the Stormcast lines. The same with my Warlock Engineer as his Warp Lightning spell really hurts with decent rolls. I'm definitely going to take another engineer in future lists.

Battleshock really hurt me and I was taken back by it. Some Steampunk dwarves killed a dozen clanrats and I lost a dozen more to Battleshock a couple of moments later. I need to use my General a bit better but is there any way to kind of protect against that with Skaven? Inspiring Presence seems like my only answer as I did not see much else that helps. I know morale, and a bit of randomness, is supposed to the Achilles heel of the army but man, it really put a dent in that army.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Crazy Ferret posted:

Got in my first Skaven game today and it was a resounding victory. The game is pretty fun and easy to pick up. All my rats are still on square bases but it was kind of nice to see them all moving as one big blob across the table. The rank and file looks nice but the disorganized rat murder blob has it's own visual flair. After sitting in storage for forever, it was good to see the army back out on the board.

So the Warp Lightning Cannon was great if a bit random but the Warp Fire Throwers are monsters. I put two into the list since I had them lying around and folks wanted to go to 1250 and they were just murdering Stormcasts. I just kept overcharging them, since why not, and was just spraying mortal wounds into the Stormcast lines. The same with my Warlock Engineer as his Warp Lightning spell really hurts with decent rolls. I'm definitely going to take another engineer in future lists.

Battleshock really hurt me and I was taken back by it. Some Steampunk dwarves killed a dozen clanrats and I lost a dozen more to Battleshock a couple of moments later. I need to use my General a bit better but is there any way to kind of protect against that with Skaven? Inspiring Presence seems like my only answer as I did not see much else that helps. I know morale, and a bit of randomness, is supposed to the Achilles heel of the army but man, it really put a dent in that army.

Remember you get another point of bravery for every 10 models in the unit.

Also you may want this guy for your general. https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-grey-seer-en.pdf

The Screaming Bell also increases Bravery https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls//aos-warscroll-screaming-bell-EN.pdf

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 16, 2018

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

MonsterEnvy posted:

Remember you get another point of bravery for every 10 models in the unit.

Also you may want this guy for your general. https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-grey-seer-en.pdf

The Screaming Bell also increases Bravery https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls//aos-warscroll-screaming-bell-EN.pdf

The plus Bravery points felt pretty minor, especially considering the lack of saves on the rats, but every bit will help. Thanks for linking the Grey Seer, that is exactly what I was looking for as a general. I imagine picking up a Screaming Bell, which looks awesome, for him to hide behind is a good bet. I don't remember any rules for targeting heroes like 40k has so I imagine finding ways to hide a general like that is a thing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
If you want to get the Screaming Bell and don't already own one. I recommend getting the Start collecting Pestilens box. As you can make the Plague Fernace as a Screaming Bell and the Catapult as a Warp Lighting Cannon.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

MonsterEnvy posted:

If you want to get the Screaming Bell and don't already own one. I recommend getting the Start collecting Pestilens box. As you can make the Plague Fernace as a Screaming Bell and the Catapult as a Warp Lighting Cannon.

Yep! Incidentally, that was the cause of my edited post earlier. I was curious if the Start Collecting box had the multi-kits inside. It and a Grey Seer are on my list to pick up. Also, more Plague Monks seems like a good thing. They died to a stiff breeze but even a handful making into combat was able to drown some poor Stormcast unit in wounds.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://malignportents.com/story/grim-deliverance/

Next story is up, looks like Nagash is recruiting.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Pushing this sort of awesome fluff should be illegal. I’m itching to get a chance to paint some of my AoS stuff. I’m stupidly hooked even though I won’t be able to take part in any global campaign stuff. But will definitely be getting the book for ideas for our burgeoning AoS group.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Turns out making the fluff readily available and explaining the setting makes it all a lot more understandable and likable.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

Turns out making the fluff readily available and explaining the setting makes it all a lot more understandable and likable.

Life's weird that way, huh?

I'm looking forward to the RPG coming out so this stuff gets really fleshed out - it might actually become understandable to the point where people are actually interested in the background and start playing AoS.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

berzerkmonkey posted:

Life's weird that way, huh?

I'm looking forward to the RPG coming out so this stuff gets really fleshed out - it might actually become understandable to the point where people are actually interested in the background and start playing AoS.

I thought the RPG was confirmed for being old-fashioned Warhammer Fantasy?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnEdgelord posted:

I thought the RPG was confirmed for being old-fashioned Warhammer Fantasy?

We have an RPG for both coming. Both by Cubicle 7. The Warhammer Fantasy one is more or less a continuing of the old line, being similar but expanded. The Age of Sigmar RPG will be another line and have a different Ruleset. The Fantasy one is coming out first so we don't know too much about the AoS RPG.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Whats the general opinion on tzaangors these days?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DJ Dizzy posted:

Whats the general opinion on tzaangors these days?

They cool. Looking forward, to Khorne, Pesti and Slann gors.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So after reading some of the Malign Portents stories and being impressed I decided to borrow the Realmgate Wars off of a friend and try to read it.

Holy poo poo is it boring :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

AnEdgelord posted:

So after reading some of the Malign Portents stories and being impressed I decided to borrow the Realmgate Wars off of a friend and try to read it.

Holy poo poo is it boring :suicide:

Yeah, just skip ahead to the Nagash/Manfred themed books, you're not missing much.

• Locked thread