Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Miftan posted:

I think that since that millionaire is the leader of the party it's fair to say they reflect on each other though?

I don't think so. I think it reflects on entitled Israeli בני טובים culture, which is very close to trashy big-money culture around the world. It's just a really weird way of attacking Likud through guilt-by-association when there are so many credible instances you could point to (like the notorious Limor Livnat speech where a Likud audience answered her rhetorical questions about them wanting patronage with a resounding "yes!", or, you know, a literal pimp MK).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't think so. I think it reflects on entitled Israeli בני טובים culture, which is very close to trashy big-money culture around the world. It's just a really weird way of attacking Likud through guilt-by-association when there are so many credible instances you could point to (like the notorious Limor Livnat speech where a Likud audience answered her rhetorical questions about them wanting patronage with a resounding "yes!", or, you know, a literal pimp MK).

Maybe, but I can't help but not be surprised by the fact that a person cultivating that kind of culture in the party he leads wouldn't discourage it in his own family.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yair Netanyahu is pretty much just some stereotypical frat boy, he may be trashy but there are many others like him, and if you believe that "my dad hooked yours up with 20 billion usd" is some smoking gun then well, I don't know what to say.

He's just some spoiled brat. Perhaps a little more antisemitic.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Speaking of the Likudiada, though..

quote:

Attendees of ruling Likud party's annual conference in Eilat resort town face dozens of local residents protesting Supermarket Law and their city not being excluded from it; 'Likud passed the law and then shamelessly came down to celebrate in our city, we want tourists to keep coming,' protesters said.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What evidence do you have that Labor had more support to form a government? And while traditionally the party with the largest plurality gets the first chance, what actually happens is that the President hosts representatives from all parties who then suggest the prime minister they'd like (this usually follows some preliminary inter-party negotiations). In 2009, Kadima had the plurality, but Likud's head (Netanyahu) ended up forming the government, ironically enough with Labor (which came in fourth, after Kadima, Likud, and Israel Beitenu).

I was going by news reports at the time.

I referenced 2009 - Kadima got the first crack at it and couldn't put a coalition together.

Main Paineframe posted:

The parties which focus almost entirely on domestic issues and whose position on Palestine is a vague, handwavey "status quo but with less terrorism"?

There's a meaningful difference between that and Likud and the even worse coalition partners. They're not ideal, but a big reason they're not ideal is the electorate being so polarized. Dismissing a significantly better option is insane tactically.

Miftan posted:

Yes but don't forget they promote the status quo and love racist dogwhistles, which I assume is why KJI likes them. If any of those parties get into power literally nothing will change for the Palestinians and considering how populist they can be it might even get worse.

E: this is even more true of labour now that Gabai is in charge. The other 2 are sock puppets with no ideology beyond 'neoliberalism is great but we'll make some noise about helping the poor'. Lapid thinks religious people get too much free poo poo as well?

I don't support what Gabbay said on Jerusalem, but what you said is demonstrably false. We have the past thirty years to show there are gigantic policy differences based on what party is in power. There's a good chance that we would have had peace 20 years ago if Netanyahu doesn't win in 1996.

captainblastum posted:

This part strikes me as particularly wrong. Can you elaborate on your thoughts here? Can you explain what collective punishment is, why it's wrong (if you think that it is), and how individuals choosing to boycott, divest, or sanction Israel for the actions of its elected government constitutes collective punishment?

BDS in its academic and cultural boycott seeks to in practice punish people who have nothing to do with Israeli policies. This isn't "Netanyahu ordered war crimes, let's try him in The Hague", whatever the merits are of that. This is let's target on the basis of nationality. That's immoral, and why the mere existence of BDS sucks up so much oxygen that it crowds out discussion on what's actually occurring beyond the Green Line, making actual peace that much further away. There will always be 1000000x more effort put into fighting BDS than anything else as long as it exists, making it the perfect foil for Likud. Then you add the fact that the actual BDS movement opposes the two state solution, opposes "normalization", encourages a full boycott until its maximalist, revanchist demands are met - it's hard to see BDS as anything other than an Orwellian command for endless, perpetual war.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Kim Jong Il posted:

BDS in its academic and cultural boycott seeks to in practice punish people who have nothing to do with Israeli policies. This isn't "Netanyahu ordered war crimes, let's try him in The Hague", whatever the merits are of that. This is let's target on the basis of nationality. That's immoral, and why the mere existence of BDS sucks up so much oxygen that it crowds out discussion on what's actually occurring beyond the Green Line, making actual peace that much further away.

lol no it's not? :shrug:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
guys you can't protest apartheid south africa based on nationality, that's immoral!!! -a dumbass

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

botany posted:

guys you can't protest apartheid south africa based on nationality, that's immoral!!! -a dumbass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLmG9QSlxQQ

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Kim Jong Il posted:

an Orwellian command for endless, perpetual war.
This is somewhat ironic, as your entire shtick seems to be endlessly handwringing and condemning any sort of action as "just not the right tactic right now, you guys"

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

also lmao:

Kim Jong Il posted:

There's a good chance that we would have had peace 20 years ago if Netanyahu doesn't win in 1996.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kim Jong Il posted:

I referenced 2009 - Kadima got the first crack at it and couldn't put a coalition together.

No, they didn't. Parties comprising the majority of Knesset at the time recommended Netanyahu, and President Peres tasked him with forming a government, which he did.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hasn't Bibi been on the verge of getting ousted for over a year now?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kim Jong Il posted:

BDS in its academic and cultural boycott seeks to in practice punish people who have nothing to do with Israeli policies. This isn't "Netanyahu ordered war crimes, let's try him in The Hague", whatever the merits are of that. This is let's target on the basis of nationality. That's immoral, and why the mere existence of BDS sucks up so much oxygen that it crowds out discussion on what's actually occurring beyond the Green Line, making actual peace that much further away.

There will always be 1000000x more effort put into fighting BDS than anything else as long as it exists, making it the perfect foil for Likud. Then you add the fact that the actual BDS movement opposes the two state solution, opposes "normalization", encourages a full boycott until its maximalist, revanchist demands are met - it's hard to see BDS as anything other than an Orwellian command for endless, perpetual war.

This case you're making against BDS would probably be more effective if you weren't held back by needing to avoid any discussion of the brutal collective punishment Israel routinely engages in against Palestinian populations. Israel's bulldozing people's homes and starving entire regions, and you're standing here trying to talk about the unforgivable moral outrage of cancelling a concert in Tel Aviv.

The latter half of the quote could just as easily be applied to the IDF or to Likud as a whole - no peace is possible while Israeli voters are openly calling for ethnic cleansing, and the Israeli populace outright opposes the peace deals the international community claims to want. You're blaming Palestinians for "endless, perpetual war" when Bibi is the longest-serving PM in Israeli history?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Grouchio posted:

Hasn't Bibi been on the verge of getting ousted for over a year now?
This graft scandal has been the slowest rolling scandal I've ever seen

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
I invite everyone here to imagine this: how different to the present scenario would Palestinian total surrender look. Only a fool wouldn't realise we haven't been there for some time.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
they could be bulldozing their own houses

maybe that's what would really show their commitment to peace

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
"Sir, we heard that you were planning on expanding your settlement into our village. Could you point us to the nearest refugee camp? Wouldn't dream of troubling you. Ta!"

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
demanding a refugee camp, this is madness

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Parties in Israel don't have a fixed ideology beyond what whoever is in charge decides. Their spectrum is just slightly smaller than the national one. Imagine Labour with Merav Michaeli in charge and one with Gabbay in charge. Those 2 parties are nothing alike.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Miftan posted:

Parties in Israel don't have a fixed ideology beyond what whoever is in charge decides. Their spectrum is just slightly smaller than the national one. Imagine Labour with Merav Michaeli in charge and one with Gabbay in charge. Those 2 parties are nothing alike.

Yeah, I mean Gabbay echoed Netanyahu's quip about leftists from 1997 that they forgot how to be Jewish just a few weeks ago. There's a reason why Meretz is making their primary process more open, they're planning on picking up the left flank of Labor in the next elections and want to get them on board.

Edit:
Speaking of Meretz, not seeing this in English yet, but Peace Now CEO Avi Bouskila is stepping down to run for its leadership.

Edit2: Not sure why I thought this was Breaking the Silence, sorry about that. That's less interesting, honestly. :sweatdrop:

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 14, 2018

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

botany posted:

lol no it's not? :shrug:

I think he's right, but it's an argument against collective punishment and well...

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/davidsheen/status/952529112702377985

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I feel like African Jewish people in Israel should start wearing a star of David on their sleeve in protest.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No, they didn't. Parties comprising the majority of Knesset at the time recommended Netanyahu, and President Peres tasked him with forming a government, which he did.

How does that dispute what I said at all? You literally just restated the exact same thing I did.

Main Paineframe posted:

This case you're making against BDS would probably be more effective if you weren't held back by needing to avoid any discussion of the brutal collective punishment Israel routinely engages in against Palestinian populations. Israel's bulldozing people's homes and starving entire regions, and you're standing here trying to talk about the unforgivable moral outrage of cancelling a concert in Tel Aviv.

The latter half of the quote could just as easily be applied to the IDF or to Likud as a whole - no peace is possible while Israeli voters are openly calling for ethnic cleansing, and the Israeli populace outright opposes the peace deals the international community claims to want. You're blaming Palestinians for "endless, perpetual war" when Bibi is the longest-serving PM in Israeli history?

This isn't an argument against what I've said since I've condemned those practices. The question is why do people twist themselves in knots to condemn similar collective punishments. And case in point, you're making unfair overgeneralizations here. Israeli voters have "called for ethnic cleansing" the same way Palestinians have "called for ethnic cleansing", and pro-peace politicians spent a long time winning elections, and now they're barely losing.

I'm not blaming Palestinians for anything - BDS really has little to do with them at all. I'm saying that supporting BDS is inherently anti-peace, given that it opposes the peace process, and opposes "normalization". The only "peace" they accept is what's truly outside of the international consensus. I've unambiguously condemned Netanyahu, and the root of my criticism against BDS is it tactically makes him far stronger.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
For the second time in the past few months, and in line with his dissertation, Mahmoud Abbas unmasks as a deranged racist conspiracy theorist. This is exactly the kind of double speak that Netanyahu has gotten rightly ripped to shreds for. https://www.timesofisrael.com/rewriting-history-abbas-calls-israel-a-colonial-project-unrelated-to-judaism

quote:

The Palestinian leader suggested the Jews of Europe — six million of whom would be killed by the Nazis — chose to remain in their home countries during the Holocaust, rather than emigrate.

“The Jews did not want to emigrate even with murder and slaughter. Even during the Holocaust, they did not emigrate. By 1948, Jews in Palestine were no more than 640,000, most of them from Europe,” he said.

In fact, from 1939 to 1945, the British mandatory authorities prevented almost all Jewish immigration to Palestine, at the behest of the Arab states.

In order to fill the nascent Jewish state, Abbas asserted, that Ben-Gurion begrudgingly began bringing Jews from Arab lands to Israel by force.

“Ben-Gurion did not want Middle Eastern Jews to come [to Israel]…but when he saw the vast land, he was forced to bring Middle Eastern Jews… that didn’t want to come. From Yemen they flew 50,000 Jews…They didn’t suffice with 50,000 Jews. Then they went to Iraq, which had large reserves of Jews,” said Abbas.

Abbas claimed the Israelis cut deals with the Iraqi politicians “to take away the citizenship of Jews and force them to emigrate.”

“They did not suffice with this and gathered all the Jews in Arab countries, from Morocco to Algeria and Tunis, Libya, Egypt, Syria and Lebanon,” Abbas said.

The establishment of the Jewish state in 1949 was met with violent riots, looting, and attacks on local Jewish populations in countries throughout the Middle East, including Yemen, Iraq, Syria, and Egypt.

Some 900,000 Jews fled, or were forced to flee, their homelands following the creation of the State of Israel. As a result, the Jewish population of the Middle East (excluding Israel) and North Africa shrank from 856,000 to just 4,400 today.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

This is perfectly understandable when you realize the long-standing ethnic conflict between Israeli Jews and... Sudanese and Eritrean refugees?... going back to... uh.... HEY LOOK, ABBAS SAID SOMETHING lovely!

Kim Jong Il posted:

How does that dispute what I said at all? You literally just restated the exact same thing I did.

Okay, let's go over this again. You said:

Kim Jong Il posted:

I said:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In what way is this a restatement of what you said?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kim Jong Il posted:

I'm not blaming Palestinians for anything - BDS really has little to do with them at all. I'm saying that supporting BDS is inherently anti-peace, given that it opposes the peace process, and opposes "normalization". The only "peace" they accept is what's truly outside of the international consensus. I've unambiguously condemned Netanyahu, and the root of my criticism against BDS is it tactically makes him far stronger.

You keep categorizing BDS in this light, but from what to can tell none of the goals line up with what you're saying. Actually, they seem to be pretty much exactly the opposite of how you've categorized them in this post and in the past.

From https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott%2C_Divestment_and_Sanctions
According to the call, the BDS campaign urges various forms of non-violent punitive measures against Israel until it complies with the precepts of international law. These measures should bring about :

Ending its occupation and colonization of all Arab lands and dismantling the Wall;

Recognizing the fundamental rights of the Arab-Palestinian citizens of Israel to full equality; and

Respecting, protecting and promoting the rights of Palestinian refugees to return to their homes and properties as stipulated in UN Resolution 194.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This is an extremely hot take from former PM defeating Netanyahu, then, years later, Defense Minister under same Netanyahu, Ehud Barak (continuing his role from that under Olmert, in the Kadima-led government):

https://twitter.com/barak_ehud/status/952972611079860226

Translation:

quote:

"Ya7rav beitak"? Antisemitic conspiracies? Abu-Mazen's speech is embarrassing and ludicrous. A major responsibility for continuing the conflict lies on his shouldiers. Our responsibility - to act. Not according to Palestinian whims, but for the Zionist interest: securing the safety of Israel and her future as a Jewish and democratic state.
:ironicat:

Screenshot in case he deletes it, although I doubt he will:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kim Jong Il posted:

And case in point, you're making unfair overgeneralizations here. Israeli voters have "called for ethnic cleansing" the same way Palestinians have "called for ethnic cleansing", and pro-peace politicians spent a long time winning elections, and now they're barely losing.

If pro-peace politicians were winning elections for decades, then why isn't there peace? Why has Israel refused to make meaningful concessions under those numerous pro-peace politicians you say controlled the country for so long? The settlements grow faster now, sure, but they started under those so-called "pro-peace" politicians, who not only stood by and allowed them to grow, but actively extended state infrastructure and protections to those illegal communities. Seems like "peace" means something different to you than it does to me and everyone else.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Main Paineframe posted:

Seems like "peace" means something different to you than it does to me and everyone else.

Peace is freedom from threat (in this example, from an opponent). A concession to the opponent, particularly one which might weaken your position, would be sub-optimal unless:

a) The opponent makes a credible threat that requires pacification (and can be trusted to be pacified by the concession).

b) A compromise can be reached to mutual benefit. This is the same as a) but not zero sum.

Israeli politicians don't believe Palestine is powerful enough to concede to, nor kindred or trustworthy enough to negotiate with. They can more reliably secure peace unilaterally. This is working.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How well is that border wall working?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Preen Dog posted:

Israeli politicians don't believe Palestine is powerful enough to concede to, nor kindred or trustworthy enough to negotiate with. They can more reliably secure peace unilaterally. This is working.

hahahahahahah

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Preen Dog posted:

Peace is freedom from threat (in this example, from an opponent). A concession to the opponent, particularly one which might weaken your position, would be sub-optimal unless:

a) The opponent makes a credible threat that requires pacification (and can be trusted to be pacified by the concession).

b) A compromise can be reached to mutual benefit. This is the same as a) but not zero sum.

This is a strange perspective that seems to completely ignore whether one side is actually morally in the right or wrong.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Don't worry Groovelord, I'm sure -someone- will get it up, and make more skulls for your pile! You're very handsome. May I chew on you?

Ytlaya posted:

This is a strange perspective that seems to completely ignore whether one side is actually morally in the right or wrong.

It does completely ignore that. Just like you do, where you are personally threatened by a frightening, or even just inconvenient, thing. You take the easiest way out. The welfare of your harasser is not important because they are malicious, after all, and unfairly imposing on you. They are the bad guy, for putting you in an uncomfortable position. A beggar, a robber, your employer, your employees. A family member. They will all claim that they are disenfranchised, cheated, discriminated against, and that they have claim on your goods, by some moral right. You could buy some muffins at the supermarket and some rear end in a top hat might accost you, claiming that he had "dibs" on them. Because he saw them first, touched them first. Put them in his basket and then took them out, and then later decided that he wanted them, but you had already purchased them. Isn't it nice that reality disregards this moral nonsense? It seems confusing.

You would be correct if the "morality" was imposed by some external power. That's how most people mean it. A parent, a God or some other authority figure (state, judge etc) that will sanction those who transgress. Who would the arbiter be in this case, and would they care about this issue?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Ytlaya posted:

Preen Dog is an idiot who tries to present a realpolitik perspective, except his practical measure of "securing peace" doesn't even support it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/953103308419411968

Why is this a Reuters story? Also:

"Aviah Morag, 25, sunbathes on his rooftop which is equipped with a small pool, a shower and deck chairs."

:discourse:

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Preen Dog is an idiot who tries to present a realpolitik perspective, except his practical measure of "securing peace" doesn't even support it

Violence is at an all time low. The third intifada has failed to materialize so far, even with the Trump Jerusalem thing. Palestinian GDP goes up at a rate in excess of neighboring countries. I'm just a heckler, but I don't see how Israel policy is endangering peace. As usual I hope you or the thread regulars can educate me, because I'm just a bird-dog.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Preen Dog posted:

Violence is at an all time low. The third intifada has failed to materialize so far, even with the Trump Jerusalem thing. Palestinian GDP goes up at a rate in excess of neighboring countries. I'm just a heckler, but I don't see how Israel policy is endangering peace. As usual I hope you or the thread regulars can educate me, because I'm just a bird-dog.

What use is rising wealth when nobody respects your property rights?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Preen Dog posted:

its sort of like that fox news graphic about 99% of "poor" households having a refridgerator

"israeli policies are creating peace! there's not even a third intifada!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nebalebadingdong posted:

its sort of like that fox news graphic about 99% of "poor" households having a refridgerator

"israeli policies are creating peace! there's not even a third intifada!"

I guess we'll see what happens if that PLO conference really leads to the end of security coordination. How much of the pacification of the West Bank relies on PA cooperation? We might soon find out!