Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Somfin posted:

Yeah, there's an inexplicable love of Gat in some parts of the team.

Personally I think it's because without him, the series doesn't really have a "face" to go with the colour and the fleur-de-lis. The Boss is so explicitly "whatever you want them to be" that you can't use them in marketing.

I have a feeling they were going for the Likable Criminal type, like Tommy Vercetti or CJ, but overextended the Criminal part while still thinking he was likable. Like Saints Row is GTA but bigger/cruder, so Johnny has to be a worse person than every GTA protagonist to go with that, but the minute they stop killing or money and start killing for pleasure, they lose the character and they become unbearable. Tommy was in it for the money (and to be honest, by the end he should have just paid his debt to Sonny and told him to gently caress off) and CJ was in it to get out of it - he needed to do what he did to get out from under Tenpenny, even if his shitheap brother wasn't helping matters (yes Sweet, CJ is better than you. If you start a story picking someone that toxic up from jail, you are automatically better.) but Johnny is just psychopathic with no actual goal beyond mayhem.

Johnny Gat actually had a direct analog in the Rock* games, in the spinoff Bully - the difference was Gary Smith was the villain. Johnny Gat is Gary Smith as written by someone who thought Tyler Durden had a point. Gary Smith is Johnny Gat written by someone who recognised that the Narrator was a bad person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Sniper Elite 3. The game is really fun, it controls better than the previous entry, and you can't go all Fallout Sniper and expect to win. But there's just a few things...

The game is super crashy. If I didn't enjoy it so much, I'd be pissed off. It crashes for arbitrary reasons. In the last stage I did, the game would reliably crash if I was ever detected by a patrolling armored car. This armored car, I should mention, was capable of detecting me when I was crouched, in the shadows, behind it, from 500 yards away. Occasionally the game crashes when I try to use flint and tinder to start a fire for a distraction. Just a little bit ago, it crashed because I heard a nazi trying to flank me and I ran to surprise him.

If you turn bullet physics to "realistic" and leave on aim assistance, you get a little red diamond showing you where your bullet will hit. This is really helpful! Except, unless you focus your aim for about 5 seconds to completely steady the shot and make it as pinpoint accurate as possible, the bullet will not even hit your target.

The Siwa Oasis level has an infamous longstanding "bug" where by using loud objects in the environment to mask your shots, you'll render the level unwinnable. So you have to either ghost the level by tediously sneaking around everyone, or you have to use your silenced pistol to pick them off slowly. You also have to be drat certain you hide every nazi body, because leaving one out in the open anywhere on the level is enough to, again, render it unwinnable. You see, you're supposed to follow an officer to find some papers he stashed. If there's even one thing out of place on his very long circuitous route through the entire level, the game will just instantly fail you.

The reason "bug" is in quotes above is that Rebellion support have clarified that it's intended behavior. A malfunctioning generator, in the middle of the Sahara desert, in the middle of World War 2 obviously means that something shady is going on.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Morglon posted:

Autopilot in the X series is so loving bad in general. There's something I'd call a shipping lane in between jump portals and usually when you follow them you will bump into ships going the other way but it's no big deal. Not so when you're flying a capital ship, using autopilot will just explode everything that gets in your way like bugs on a windshield. I learned that the hard way when I bought my first carrier, set a course and got up to pee. I got back to the entire nation hating me after clearing out half the sector.

That's genuinely hilarious

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Battle Chasers: Nightwar I had no idea RPGs were still being released that don't have every party member getting EXP even when they're not in your team. Also I just got to a new area with enemies doing 50-80 damage when you kill them and some that do like 150 bleed damage when you kill them and I just don't know how to counter that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Battle Chasers: Nightwar I had no idea RPGs were still being released that don't have every party member getting EXP even when they're not in your team. Also I just got to a new area with enemies doing 50-80 damage when you kill them and some that do like 150 bleed damage when you kill them and I just don't know how to counter that.
This game uses the exact same logo design as Jak and Daxter, and I've never been able to get past that to actually play it.

Also it's called Battle Chasers: Nightwar, which is the worst name for a game I've ever heard.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also it's called Battle Chasers: Nightwar, which is the worst name for a game I've ever heard.

It is possibly the most "TV show writers need a comedy video game name" name ever.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Pillars of Eternity is prob one of my fave RPGs but it defo has problems in the early game. Once you get to defiance bay it opens up a lot since there's a lot more variety to the quests and you start to get a real diversity of options in combat, but the two major early game quests (the temple of Eothas and Raedric's hold) suffer from being very samey for all of their combat and being grueling to fight through if you don't know what you're doing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Worse than Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE or Medal of Honor: Warfighter?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Some of the missions in Saint Row 2 have pretty poor checkpointing - You get a checkpoint as you are about to go into the bank to kidnap the Brotherhood leader's girlfriend, get her all the way out to her car then drive off to the arena -only to get trashed en route and need to do the entire bank sequence over again. That was annoying to have to redo. It's done now though, and the mission afterwards with the fireworks truck was far more reasonable apart from the part where you need to stop the cars chasing you by throwing fireworks at them - really annoying to actually land a hit with them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BioEnchanted posted:

I have a feeling they were going for the Likable Criminal type, like Tommy Vercetti or CJ, but overextended the Criminal part while still thinking he was likable. Like Saints Row is GTA but bigger/cruder, so Johnny has to be a worse person than every GTA protagonist to go with that, but the minute they stop killing or money and start killing for pleasure, they lose the character and they become unbearable. Tommy was in it for the money (and to be honest, by the end he should have just paid his debt to Sonny and told him to gently caress off) and CJ was in it to get out of it - he needed to do what he did to get out from under Tenpenny, even if his shitheap brother wasn't helping matters (yes Sweet, CJ is better than you. If you start a story picking someone that toxic up from jail, you are automatically better.) but Johnny is just psychopathic with no actual goal beyond mayhem.

Johnny Gat actually had a direct analog in the Rock* games, in the spinoff Bully - the difference was Gary Smith was the villain. Johnny Gat is Gary Smith as written by someone who thought Tyler Durden had a point. Gary Smith is Johnny Gat written by someone who recognised that the Narrator was a bad person.

And then in Saint's Row 4, Johnny is pretty much the game's protagonist instead of the Boss, who feels more like Gat's second in command who does all the busywork.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BioEnchanted posted:

Some of the missions in Saint Row 2 have pretty poor checkpointing - You get a checkpoint as you are about to go into the bank to kidnap the Brotherhood leader's girlfriend, get her all the way out to her car then drive off to the arena -only to get trashed en route and need to do the entire bank sequence over again. That was annoying to have to redo. It's done now though, and the mission afterwards with the fireworks truck was far more reasonable apart from the part where you need to stop the cars chasing you by throwing fireworks at them - really annoying to actually land a hit with them.

The funny thing is the garbage checkpoint system was better than what GTA4 had, which was no checkpoints at all. Jesus Christ that was infuriating to deal with an ended up putting me off the game entirely.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
There's a lot of things going right in Dungeons 3 that the previous game doesn't have. Stuff is simply faster, and the developers have mildly shrugged and made things more like earlier Dungeon Keeper games rather than rely on innovation for innovation's sake. But so far two things have stuck out to me as somewhat annoying:

- The tongue-in-cheek narrator is still a little bit over the top. Like, okay, having the narrator tell a character not to reference Lord of the Rings anymore because players complained about its overabundance in the last game? Kinda funny. Continuing to do it, after that? Kinda annoying. I still love the narrator for being not at all serious compared to the War For The Overworld guy who plays everything completely straight, but there's a time and a place for humor.

- While traps are a lot better than they were in Dungeons 2 (specifically, you don't always have that one goddamn enemy that mass-disables them), there's still the case where you feel like you need to keep some percentage of your units back in your dungeon to take care of the every-couple-minutes wave of 3-4 units. Maybe my trap area is simply too small, but it's annoying that I can't just grab everyone and be confident that the traps will hold for ten minutes or so.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BioEnchanted posted:

The series went on long enough it spoiled itself - I knew that happened because the game called "Gat out of Hell" came out. :P

Funny thing, Gat being in Hell has nothing to do with him dying. :v:

Somfin posted:

Yeah, there's an inexplicable love of Gat in some parts of the team.

Personally I think it's because without him, the series doesn't really have a "face" to go with the colour and the fleur-de-lis. The Boss is so explicitly "whatever you want them to be" that you can't use them in marketing.

And yet 3 established an official Boss look (a boring-looking white dudebro) who ironically ended up looking too similar to Johnny in the CG trailer, and so became a slightly different boring white dudebro for 4.

I think Johnny is fine in 2, since he balances out the full cast of misfits that make up the Saints, but 3 was such a big misfire and from then on everything seemed to circle back to them telling you how cool Johnny is instead of showing it.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Jan 13, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's based on a niche American comic that targeted teens.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I hadn't heard, but that has been happening a lot more now that I'm a quarter of the way through the story missions (currently at the Son's of Samedi Jailbreak mission, and the Brotherhoods "Kill 4 leiutenants" mission) is that Saint's Row 2 seems to love freezing in the middle of missions, especially the longer ones.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Are you playing on PC? Saint's Row 2 is one of the most notoriously bad PC ports ever made.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Samuringa posted:

Are you playing on PC? Saint's Row 2 is one of the most notoriously bad PC ports ever made.

Xbox360. I checked the disk and it seems fine, and according to gamefaqs even the Xbox versino is known for it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Worse than Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE or Medal of Honor: Warfighter?
Tokyo Mirage Sessions is fine. Medal of Honor is bad, but not "Battle Chasers" bad.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I got a PS3 copy of Saints Row 2 and it still runs like rear end.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is fine. Medal of Honor is bad, but not "Battle Chasers" bad.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is descriptive in a weird way, you can clearly tell it's trying to convey meaning. Same with Medal of Honor, only more overtly so. Battle Chasers doesn't, it just looks like word salad with no definitions.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m pretty sure the kingdom hearts games were named by a stroke victim with aphasia. The subtitles are just gibberish to me.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Under Night In-Birth EXE:Late

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

And I mean I say this in a loving way but why is Ys 8 called Lacrimosa of Dana

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

fnobert

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

You forgot the worst title of all time outside of KH.

Wargasm

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That’s a great name.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Well, having never played a Metal Gear game before I was pretty stoked to try Phantom Pain. After the incredibly slow start and mashup of cutscenes I got into the meat of the game proper and it hooked me pretty well!

I like that I can shoot my way out of things, I like the nifty gadgets and mines and Fultoning out a tank is hilarious there is zero doubt.

However, I have gotten to the game where the shilling for MB coins has reached a level that cannot be ignored.
Want to develop X gun? It'll take 24 hours.....UNLESS YOU PAY! :10bux:
Oh want to send your mercs on a mission? It'll take 3 days....UNLESS YOU PAY! :10bux:
Want to develop your base? You can't...UNLESS YOU PAY! :10bux:

On top of that, the timers are in-game hours so they take even longer! There is zero reason to make these timers so long, except to incentivize you to pay for MB Coins. They aren't hawking alternative costumes or extra missions or anything that actually takes resources to put in the game that could conceivably justify spending money - they've just inserted inflated time sinks to annoy you into paying.

Why are they trying to grind me for more money after I already paid retail for this?

:capitalism:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Publishers saw the ridiculous amount of bank mobile games pull in and wanted in on that racket.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You can at least cheatengine the dumbass timers away for things that aren't "online"

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

LeJackal posted:

Why are they trying to grind me for more money after I already paid retail for this?

Konami are bastards and thought they were on the way out from videogames so might as well.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Digirat posted:

You can at least cheatengine the dumbass timers away for things that aren't "online"

That sounds...risky. Any safety tips?

LeJackal has a new favorite as of 06:20 on Jan 14, 2018

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

LeJackal posted:

That sounds...risky. Any safety tips?

It's not a VAC game, the worst that happens if you do it bad is the game will crash. Finding a cheat engine table that automates 90% of the work is super easy and there's probably a solid one on the cheat engine forums because they usually have one for any popular game. If you're really worried you can always go offline before doing it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BioEnchanted posted:

Finally got around to Saints Row 2 after bouncing off the first game and not feeling like trying it again, and while it's interesting I actually Hate Johnny Gat. He's just kind of a twat, not particularly likable at all. Admittedly in dialog he can be amusing, but for the most part during gameplay he just gets in the way. Every time he;s in the passenger seat I'm just like "Johnny can you STOP SHOOTING POLICE CARS! We have no gang, all we are is two idiots and you are attracting unwanted attention." I'm suddenly stuck with a wanted star and a bad mood thanks to Johnny. Should have just let him get executed IMO, his attitude is toxic and not one I'd want near any group of people, even a street gang.
Literally every NPC teammate in that game is annoying as hell in actual gameplay. Shooting at people you don't want them to, going the wrong way, getting stuck, just refusing to get into a vehicle for no reason, walking in front of you while you're shooting, etc.

As far as he goes as a character, he's basically just a laid-back psychopath. The protagonist likes him because he doesn't ask anything of them, and neither of them have any empathy at all. And of course he's a terrible person, that's kind of the point of the game. You're the bad guy. While your enemies certainly aren't good people (for the most part) there's no doubt that the protagonist is worse.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The funny thing is the garbage checkpoint system was better than what GTA4 had, which was no checkpoints at all. Jesus Christ that was infuriating to deal with an ended up putting me off the game entirely.
It's one of those things with older games where you think "how did anyone think this was a good system?" but then you look at other games that came out around the same time and it turns out that this obviously poo poo system was actually better than what anyone else was doing.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Nuebot posted:

It's not a VAC game, the worst that happens if you do it bad is the game will crash. Finding a cheat engine table that automates 90% of the work is super easy and there's probably a solid one on the cheat engine forums because they usually have one for any popular game. If you're really worried you can always go offline before doing it.

Worth pointing out that the Cheat Engine forums got hit with a nasty C&D a while back from someone or another. The whole site went down for weeks as a result. So they don't store tables on site anymore. If you want CE scripts, you want this site instead.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Tiggum posted:

You're the bad guy. While your enemies certainly aren't good people (for the most part) there's no doubt that the protagonist is worse.

edit: Actually my point is moot because I forgot about Maero dragging your ally behind a truck for a few miles...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

edit: Actually my point is moot because I forgot about Maero dragging your ally behind a truck for a few miles...

That was Jessica actually.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something annoying about SR2 is the ammo scarcity - I have barely any ammo for all the guns I have, and the gun shop only sells the firearms themselves, not the ammo. How the hell do I reliably get ammo?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Its been a good while, but I am almost certain you can buy ammo from Friendly Fire.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Samuringa posted:

Even on consoles, that game's got some serious jank and questionable design decisions. I'd rank it up there with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Alpha Protocol as games that might be your favorite thing ever made if you've got a high tolerance for bullshit and something of a slog if you don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I bought some ammo once I found out where in the menu it was and it made that Brotherhood mission much easier - it didn't even freeze this time! It'll probably make some of the activities a bit easier too now that I can kill the pimps in the Snatch side-missions at will.