Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Cool, hit me with that link then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

:eyepop: 8 days for $240

Shared with 3 other people :v:. I shared a bed with Caveman and let me tell you: we both slept peacefully not facing each other, it was pretty great.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

dolphinbomb posted:

Donations are going to keep trickling in over the next few days, I would expect a few thousand more at the very least.

Some banks can also take awhile to process donations from debit cards. I had a $30 donation a few years ago that didn't actually get to them until almost 2 days after the event ended.

Yeah but that's true of every event. I'm just interested in whether previous events included subs and bits in the donation tracker, or if they were added in after the stream ended.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Studio posted:

Shared with 3 other people :v:. I shared a bed with Caveman and let me tell you: we both slept peacefully not facing each other, it was pretty great.

I guess the cons I go to are just expensive as gently caress.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
good news

1. Trihex is bringing back pleb chat for future GDQs!
2. Trihex is gonna do what he can to attend AGDQ 2019 and maybe SGDQ 2018, and he's already talking big plans like some 50 man Super Mario Odyssey races, either on stage or off

:hellyeah:

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

Fat and Useless posted:

Farewell goons.

:perfect:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Minrad posted:

good news

1. Trihex is bringing back pleb chat for future GDQs!
2. Trihex is gonna do what he can to attend AGDQ 2019 and maybe SGDQ 2018, and he's already talking big plans like some 50 man Super Mario Odyssey races, either on stage or off

:hellyeah:

Was pleb chat awful. It sounds awful. He probably made good $$ off it.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I just checked and AGDQ 2017 got 5431 subscribers and AGDQ 2018 got 20059, so a difference of $73k assuming that all those subscribers were because of switching it to sub mode.

Viewers seem to be down 20-50k from last year though, so i think that is why there was no growth in the amount raised this year. Whether you think that's because of sub mode or just waning interest in the event because it's been around a few years now is up to you.

EDIT: i asked coolmatty on reddit and he said that subs weren't included in the total last year and they didn't accept bits. So assuming they got the full $4.99 from each sub the 2017 total was $2,249,891.21 compared to 2018's $2,262,698.19.

CJ fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 14, 2018

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

CJ posted:

I just checked and AGDQ 2017 got 5431 subscribers and AGDQ 2018 got 20059, so a difference of $73k assuming that all those subscribers were because of switching it to sub mode.

Viewers seem to be down 20-50k from last year though, so i think that is why there was no growth in the amount raised this year. Whether you think that's because of sub mode or just waning interest in the event because it's been around a few year years now is up to you.

The lineup was also not fantastic - there were giant stretches of time dedicated to games that wouldn't even be interesting with a good runner+commentator. 3D action/adventure games need to be exceptional to stay interesting.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

CJ posted:

Viewers seem to be down 20-50k from last year though, so i think that is why there was no growth in the amount raised this year. Whether you think that's because of sub mode or just waning interest in the event because it's been around a few year years now is up to you.

This year was the first year I didn't watch mainly because it stopped being fun and turned into a 'promote my agenda' bullshit. (Or at least that was what last year was)

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

hobocrunch posted:

This year was the first year I didn't watch mainly because it stopped being fun and turned into a 'promote my agenda' bullshit. (Or at least that was what last year was)

What agenda are you referring to?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Studio posted:

Was pleb chat awful. It sounds awful. He probably made good $$ off it.

He cracked down on anyone who was personally attacking people, but for the most part it was all the retarded emote spam of yesteryear GDQs I used to love and Trihex himself said the chat kept him watching more GDQ this year than a lot of previous ones. I gotta agree, I spent most of the GDQ shitposting in twitch chat instead of thread browsing.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

might have been worse in previous years but this year was fun as hell and the only agenda notably being pushed was "gently caress cancer"

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

hobocrunch posted:

Ia this another one of those Your Computer reddit copypastas

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Were there any good cringe moments this year?

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

TeaJay posted:

Ia this another one of those Your Computer reddit copypastas

If it isn't it will be when he sees it.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

CJ posted:

Were there any good cringe moments this year?

Mike's Speech - https://clips.twitch.tv/RockyIronicToadTheRinger

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Just as an example, the Sunday night -> Monday Morning (EST) block was just.. uninspired. F-Zero GX was probably the least interesting version of the game, and the rest of the primetime games weren't any better. It didn't really pick up all that much until early morning EST, and that's not how a marathon this large should be starting off.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

You've been spending too much time on reddit buddy.

Also lol i just saw this a minute ago. I think the main reason i'm not as into GDQ as in the past is that they do a better job of filtering out the strange people, and not knowing who would show up was half the fun.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://clips.twitch.tv/SeductiveAggressiveCucumberFloof

Trihex gets twitch chat, and I appreciate that :3:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Minrad posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/SeductiveAggressiveCucumberFloof

Trihex gets twitch chat, and I appreciate that :3:

That's a lot of racist frogs.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
So I don't have to waste time (maybe) on writing a script, is there a way of automatically saving pages for later viewing with pics and poo poo intact? I'd like to make an offline archive of this thread and dont want to manually save almost 1400 pages

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

CJ posted:

You've been spending too much time on reddit buddy.

Also lol i just saw this a minute ago. I think the main reason i'm not as into GDQ as in the past is that they do a better job of filtering out the strange people, and not knowing who would show up was half the fun.

I fixed that fast as well, impressive quote speed my dude.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

CJ posted:

That's a lot of racist frogs.

👌

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Was there any drama or especially bad runs this year?

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

tweet my meat posted:

Secret of evermore was toilet tier

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

tweet my meat posted:

No big dramas really, beyond some twitch crying over sub mode.

Metroid Prime 3 and inFAMOUS First Light were both pretty bad, mostly just boring. Secret of Evermore as thuly said was also quite bad, the runner was offputting and the run wasn't great. He spent most of it pushing a meme from his channel which he had as a donation incentive- it failed.

In other news I'm watching Bloodborne right now and this run is AWESOME.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

mango sentinel posted:

I guess the cons I go to are just expensive as gently caress.

That's really cheap compared to hotel prices here in Canada. I work at a Super 8 and eight nights at corporate rate would come out to $971

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Ravus posted:

In other news I'm watching Bloodborne right now and this run is AWESOME.

Hell yeah it is. I am truly impressed the runner pulled of his gimmick so well without it turning into a cringefest.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I couldn't stay awake for the ending but it seems I survived the thread:

Glad I could post with you homies and by the amount I got emptyquoted I'm glad I could make some people laugh with some dumb images

Cory in the Blouse fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 14, 2018

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Good morning I had to bail on super dram world and idgaf about botw how is everyone

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

Good morning I had to bail on super dram world and idgaf about botw how is everyone

Super Dram World was awesome, botw was boring as poo poo. I'm nearing the end of Bloodborne so I'm very good thank you.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Cory in the Blouse posted:

I couldn't stay awake for the ending but it seems I survived the thread:

Glad I could post with you homies and by the amount I got emptyquoted I'm glad I could make some people laugh with some dumb images

v. sad that i had things to do and couldn't shitpost my way into the top 30. Theres always SDGQ~

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Hello, speed friends. I am KennyMan666, and you may know me from threads such as the *GDQ effortposting threads. New donation record - nice! I am probably later today going to go through that other thread for run recommendation suggestions, past the ones that are already on the list in the second post, and update that. So if you have any suggestions for that, feel free to head over and post them there.

And in the meantime, may I perhaps bring your attention over to the general speedrunning thread? The current thread is quite outdated, and with it not being terribly unlikely that a GDQ would start bringing in new speedrunning fans, I am currently in the process of writing a new one. There's some sections of that new thread that I want some input for, so feel free to add your thoughts.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Cory in the Blouse posted:

I'm slooooooooowly going thru the thread saving the pics that got posted more or less and holy poo poo the amount of times you hit the thread with a bombshell picture post awful block was amazing

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Musluk posted:

I'm slooooooooowly going thru the thread saving the pics that got posted more or less and holy poo poo the amount of times you hit the thread with a bombshell picture post awful block was amazing

Goonspeed, if you can post an archive of them once you're finished we will be forever in your debt

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Start doing your run lists, ya'llllll.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Happy to oblige, here's a super quick and dirty list

runs that I personally saw and enjoyed for various reasons:

Splatoon 2 :woomy:
Skyrim
Contra
Wario's Woods
DKC2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Sonic Mania :nyan:
MGS3: Snake Eater
Burnout Paradise :piaa:
Serious Sam 3
El Matador
Rayman
Resident Evil 7
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Dragon Warrior
Yoshi's Island :yoshi:
Mario Sunshine :mario:
Pretty much all of the awful block starting from Arabian Nights :goku:
Duke Nukem 3D :dukedoge:
Jedi Academy
Ori
Hyper Light Drifter
Densha de D: Lightning Stage
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep Final Mix HD
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! + Super Punch-Out!! (2 Games 1 Controller)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (100%)
The Legend of Zelda (100% No Up+A 3-Way Race)
Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (Human Campaign)
Diablo (Any% Level 1 Sorcerer)
Dark Souls 3 (Any% No Teardrop) :hb:
Bloodborne (All Bosses) :bloodborne:
Final Fantasy IV (any% no CW)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Randomizer, No Glitches, Open Mode Race)
Super Dram World 2 (100%) :moonrio:
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (All Main Quests (No Amiibo))

runs to avoid because they were snooze and/or cringefests:

inFAMOUS first light
Secret of Evermore
Metroid Prime 3

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 14, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

beep by grandpa posted:

I'm sad that GDQ is over.

How was the rest of botw I went to sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Runs I saw that were Cool And Good. Bold are candidates for best run.

Blaster Master Zero
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Donkey Kong Country
Sonic Mania

Mega Man X
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Resident Evil 7 biohazard
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Superman 64
Arabian Nights
Enviro-Bear 2000
Dog's Life

Prey
Mega Man 1 - 3 Team Relay Race
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! + Super Punch-Out!!
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mass Effect
Diablo
Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition
Dark Souls 3
Super Mario World
Super Dram World 2
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

• Locked thread