Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
No peephole? What kind of hotel is this? Might as well go all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

We have no sense of self-preservation

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
The bellhop probably just cut himself on something. Open up.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
What lovely room service.

Open it

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Open the door, and our hearts, to a new friend.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You decide to open the door.

But your heart is racing. What if it is the mummy and he knows you took his diary? Will he be mad?

In one swift, action-packed move, you fling open the door, take a flying leap, and karate-kick the person standing there.

KA-POW! He tumbles halfway across the hallway.

Uh-oh. Big mistake.

quote:

With a horrible clatter of plates, glasses, and silverware, the hotel room-service waiter crashes to the floor.

Whimpering, he gazes at you from the floor with a bowl of strawberry ice cream melting on his chest. Pieces of club sandwich decorate his shoulders. A big blob of mayonnaise drips from his ear.

"What did you do that for?" he asks, moaning in pain.

You glance at his right arm. It's wrapped up in bandages.

"Oops," you say. You gulp. Your face turns bright red. "I thought you were a mummy."

"A mummy?" the waiter repeats. He shakes his head. "Man, this hasn't been my day. First, I cut my hand and now this!" He moans again. "Ohhhhhh. I think my leg is broken."

"What's going on?" your mother demands from the bedroom door.

"It - it was an accident, Mom," you sputter.

Then you start apologizing - fast. To your parents. To the waiter. To your parents, again. And even to Susie, for waking her up. Everybody's mad at you. Everybody except for one person. Derek. And he can't stop laughing.

quote:

Derek is laughing uncontrollably. "I got you!" he squeals, pointing at you. "I got you good!

"Got me?" you stammer. "What do you mean, got me?"

"The mummy! The diary!" He wipes tears of laughter away from his eyes. "I made the whole thing up."

"I brought this diary from home," Derek explains. "I made this paper in art class. I knew we were going to see the mummy when we got to San Francisco. So I thought up the diary scam. Then I dropped this in the lobby of the Pyramid Building by your feet. I knew you'd fall for it. You'll believe anything!"

"Mom!" you complain, and try to kick Derek in the shins.

But your mom fails to see you as the victim that you are. After she helps the waiter up and hands him some money, she sends both of you to bed - for a whole day!

And since you and Derek share the same hotel room, you can't escape his teasing.

Then something occurs to you. What about the mummy? He did escape last night. You were there. You saw the broken glass.

quote:

"I know what you're thinking," Derek says. "It's weird that the mummy disappeared last night, just like I wrote in the diary. It must be some freaky coincidence."

"Yeah," you agree weakly. "I guess so."

But you're not one hundred percent sure.

Still, you feel a lot better knowing that it was all a big joke, even if you do feel dumb. At least there isn't any mad mummy after you, trying to get revenge.

You do a lot of great things for the rest of your vacation. You ride a cable car, then visit Golden Gate Park. You even take a ferry to Alcatraz, the island prison.

It isn't until you get back home that you finally see the headlines in the paper: FBI NABS MUMMY-NAPPERS, RESTORES 4000-YEAR-OLD MUMMY TO SAN FRANCISCO OFFICE BUILDING

Looks like you weren't alone in the Pyramid Building that night, after all.

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Mummy's Diary

Goal Endings: 0/3

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
Night at the Museum: Faced down a decidedly non-supernatural mummy.
:siren:Punk'd: Fell for the old "fake mummy with a psychic diary" routine.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Hide in the elevator.
  • Pick up the bandages.
  • Don't open the door all the way.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Goal Ending: Great vacation in Frisco.

Don't Open the Door so we can see if this book plays Schrodinger's Mummy

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I'm also curious if it is still the hotel staff if we don't open the door.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
OK, that ending owned. Laughing my rear end off.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

You know those bandages are looking pretty good right now...

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You slam the door shut. "It's him!" you whisper to Derek. "It's got to be!" You lean all your weight against the door. No way is the mummy getting in!

KNOCK. KNOCK-KNOCK.

"It can't be the mummy, dummy," Derek says, hopping off his cot. He stomps over to the door and shoves you aside. "I mean, is a mummy going to knock politely on the door?"

KNOCK. KNOCK.

"Don't open it!" you beg. You reach for the doorknob to try to stop him.

Too late. Derek swings open the door.

Standing there in the dimly lit hallway is a small figure wrapped in ancient bandages.

The mummy!

Before you or Derek can stop him, the mummy pushes through the doorway. There's a mummy standing in your hotel room! You can hardly believe it.

"You... stole... my... life...," the mummy whispers slowly. "Now... I... will... take... my... revenge."

quote:

The mummy's hands shoot out and grab your throat! He pulls you toward him.

"Revenge... will... be... mine..." The soft wheezing sound between each word the mummy speaks is terrible. It fills your ears, making you shudder.

You struggle against his grip. His hands tighten on your neck. You can hardly breathe.

Why isn't Derek helping you? You glance at him. Derek's standing next to you, wide-eyed, mouth hanging open, frozen with fear.

"Derek!" you try to say. Only it comes out as "D-acckk" because the mummy's grip is so tight on your throat.

Finally Derek snaps out of it. He lunges toward the mummy. But the mummy backs away, still grasping you by the throat.

The mummy lets out a wheezing breath. "Give... me... the... diary - or else!"

quote:

Give the mummy the diary, or else what? You are almost too afraid to wonder.

"The... diary!" the mummy repeats. He shakes you by the throat, making you gag. "I must... have... the... diary's... magic. That... is... the... only... way... I... can... return... to... life..."

You feel the mummy's musty hot breath on your face. It wheezes out between his hard, thin lips. Finally he lets go of your throat. You lurch away from him, but he clutches you tightly by your arm.

He's got some grip for a little dead guy!

"Give him the diary!" you croak. You rub your sore throat with your free hand.

"No way," Derek says. "We can't do that."

"Why not? Are you nuts?" you yell. Then you glance toward your parents' bedroom door. "MOM! DAD!" you shout.

From behind their door, you hear your mother's sleepy voice calling back. "Go to sleep. You kids are going to be a wreck in the morning if you don't settle down."

"But, Mom!" you holler.

"Not another word!" she calls back. "Now, good night!"

From her tone, you know she means it.

You're on your own.

The mummy tightens his grip on your arm.

quote:

"Derek, please! Give him the diary," you beg.

"Not until he lets you go," Derek insists.

The mummy hesitates. WHEEZE... WHEEZE...

Finally he releases your arm.

Your knees shake as you race to Derek's cot. You reach under the mattress and yank out the mummy's diary.

"Here!" You rush toward the ancient mummy.

"Not so fast!" Derek grabs your wrist to stop you. "Listen, I know about these things. Mummies, ghosts, aliens - it's always the same. We let them loose on Earth, and we're in big trouble. I've seen it in movies a lot. Helping dead people come back to life, well, it's a big mistake. Don't give him the diary. He could turn into some kind of crazy, evil monster and - "

"But Derek!" you interrupt. "He's already come back to life! What's the big deal? And anyway, he's going to kill me if we don't give him the diary!"

Derek shrugs. "Okay," he says. "But don't say I didn't warn you. You'll be sorry."

Derek sounds pretty sure about this. What do you think?

If you give the diary to the mummy, turn to PAGE 44.

If you think you should keep it, turn to PAGE 61.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Mummy's Diary

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
Punk'd: Fell for the old "fake mummy with a psychic diary" routine.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose
On second thoughts, maybe being strangled to death isn't so bad. Keep the diary.

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
These books are amazing.

“Oh well. Mom is serious about us not waking her up. Guess I got to go deal with the living dead myself now.”

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Let's explore the author's choke fetish in the Give Yourself Goosebumps Megathread

that being said give the diary up, clearly a mummy can be trusted to keep his word.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Give the mummy the diary.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Return the slab! Er, I mean, return the diary!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Give him the diary.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Leraika posted:

Let's explore the author's choke fetish in the Give Yourself Goosebumps Megathread

on one hand, strangulation was pretty much the classic Universal Movie mummy's MO

on the other hand, yes between this and chokey the fuckbot the author is totally loving into this

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"Here. Take it!" You thrust the diary into the mummy's bandaged hands.

HSSSSSSSSSSS...

The mummy lets out a long, raspy sound like a sigh. You could swear his expression has changed. His face seems to soften with relief.

"Ahhh, yesss...," the mummmy says, clasping the diary to his chest. "Now... all... I... need... is..."

Another long wheeze escapes from his mouth before he speaks the last word.

"You!"

quote:

Before you can jump away, the mummy's hand darts out and he grabs your wrist. He picks up the tail end of one of his bandages, a long one that has come partly unwrapped. Quickly, he uses it to tie your wrists behind your back - like a prisoner! Then he does the same thing to Derek!

For an old dead guy, he sure moves fast!

The instant the bandage touches you, you feel your skin begin to wither and harden and shrivel. Your arms and legs grow stiff - so stiff you can barely move.

He yanks the bandages, and you and Derek both stumble toward the mummy. He wraps more of the ancient strips around and around your bodies.

"What's happening?" you start to ask Derek.

But when you glance at Derek's face, you let out a horrible scream.

Derek's face is brown and leather-hard - just like the mummy's! And what's more, his eyes are gone!

Only two deep, empty eye sockets remain! You stare into them, deeper and deeper, feeling yourself getting dizzy. It almost makes you pass out in disgust.

quote:

"What have you done to my brother?" you shriek.

The mummy doesn't answer you. He simply takes another wheezing breath.

Terrified, you struggle to lift your hands to your face. You can barely move. You want to scream again when you see your fingers. They're bony, brown, shriveled, and dry - just like the mummy's. Just like Derek's.

Finally you touch your own cheeks and feel for your eyes. Your fingers probe the spots where your eyes used to be.

"NO!" you scream as you plunge your fingers into the deep, empty holes of your eye sockets.

Your eyes are gone!

But how can that be? you wonder. You can still see.

But before you can speak again, the whole world seems to go black. Suddenly you can see nothing. Hear nothing. Feel nothing - except a terrifying dizzying whirl.

quote:

Finally the spinning stops. The darkness clears. You open your eyes and find yourself standing on top of a tower. You recognize it as Coit Tower, an old landmark in San Francisco. It's on a hill overlooking all of the city and the bay.

The long bandages that tied your wrists and attached you to the mummy are gone. But you are still wrapped in ancient cloth.

Derek is at your side. He's hideous - still a mummy with wrinkled dry skin and no eyes!

So am I, you think.

"Now... I... will... come... back... to... life," the mummy says as he lifts the diary and opens it. "Now... that... the... stars... are... right. And... I... have... the... diary. And... I... am... standing... at... the... highest... place... within... twenty... miles."

He's only a few feet in front of you, at the edge of the tower. His back is to you as he stands facing up into the sky.

You glance down at your wrinkled hands and shudder. You don't feel so sorry for the mummy anymore. Obviously, he has you under some kind of spell. How can you break his power over you?

Hmmmmmm. All it would take is one quick shove to knock the mummy off the tower. And it's a very long way down!

If you push the mummy off the tower, turn to PAGE 50.

If you wait to see him come back to life, turn to PAGE 104.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I AM THE SHOVER ROBOT I AM HERE TO PROTECT YOU FROM THE TERRIBLE SECRET OF SPACE EGYPT

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Why don't we take this mummy and push it someplace else?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Shove it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

If we push the mummy, we can rule Egypt!

I'm, like, eighty percent sure that's how it works.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

President Ark posted:

I AM THE SHOVER ROBOT I AM HERE TO PROTECT YOU FROM THE TERRIBLE SECRET OF SPACE EGYPT

:emptyquote:

this book owns

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Shove! Shove!

This book is legitimately scary. Also well-researched re: San Francisco's local attractions??

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You decide to push the mummy off the tower. It could be your only hope of returning to normal. If he is destroyed, maybe the spell will be broken!

"So long, creep!" you shout as you lunge forward and give him a hard shove.

"Aaahhghhhgh!" the mummy cries as he falls over the guardrail. He screams the whole way down.

Down...

Down.

He hits the ground with a dull, smacking sound. Not a THUD, really. More like a CRACK.

"Way... to... go!" Derek cries, slowly lifting his wrapped arms to give you high fives.

"Yeah...," you say, trying to smile. But your face feels frozen, even stiffer than before.

Uh-oh.

quote:

You and Derek stare at each other in horror.

"Your... arms!" Derek cries, pointing.

He's right. Your arms and legs are shriveling up even more than before. Your skin is becoming harder. Drier. More prunelike. So is his.

In a matter of minutes, both you and Derek have shrunken so much that your clothes hang on you loosely. They look as if they are three sizes too big.

And you're still shrinking.

Finally, you and your brother are nothing but dust. A strong wind off the bay blows your remains all the way to Egypt. Your dust scatters through the grains of sand in front of an ancient pyramid.

This adventure has come to a dry, dusty

END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Interrupted a ritual and dried up into dust.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Hide in the elevator.
  • Pick up the bandages.
  • Don't give the mummy the diary.
  • Wait for the mummy to finish the ritual.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
At least it wasn't a load-bearing mummy. Let the mummy finish.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Maybe things might work out if we let the mummy finish?

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You'd better not try anything. Messing around with a mummy's spell could backfire.

The mummy opens the diary and holds it up to the sky.

"At... last... the... stars... are... right," the mummy says.

You glance at the page he's holding. It's a map of the stars. Then you gaze up at the sky.

"He's right!" you whisper to Derek. "Look! The stars match."

"Awesome," Derek murmurs.

"In... the... name... of... my... ancestors," the mummy chants, "I... praise... the... stars... and... all... that... shines... in... the... universe."

Then, to your amazement, he pulls a small vial out from under his bandages. It looks like a test tube! Where did that come from? you wonder.

He rips the page out of the diary. He pours the liquid from the little vial onto the page... and eats it!

Instantly, you feel that dizzying, spinning motion. The whole world goes black as if you've closed your eyes. Then a rushing wind whips your face. Lights - or are they stars? - flash, exploding all around you.

"Derek!" you cry out. Your ears fill with a horrible wailing. Even if Derek answered, you would never hear it.

quote:

Finally, all is silent.

You open your eyes.

You are all alone, standing on top of Coit Tower. You gaze at the glittering lights of the city below you. You shake your head a few times, trying to clear it.

Then you feel a hand tap you on the back.

"Thank you," a gentle voice says softly.

You whirl around to find a short, tan-skinned young man standing before you. He wears an ancient-looking robe, trimmed in purple and gold. On his neck you see a birthmark shaped like a question mark. The birthmark that frightened the people, just as it said in the diary.

"Are you - were you - the mummy?" you ask him.

"I am the last great king of Egypt," he says, smiling shyly. "Thank you for giving me my life."

Then, before you can ask him anything else, he turns and vanishes into thin air.

"Wait!" you call out. "Come back!"

And then you see him again. At the base of the tower, far below. How did he get there so quickly? you wonder.

He strolls out into the night. You watch as his brightly-colored robe disappears into the fog.

quote:

For a while, you just stare after him into the darkness.

Then you notice Derek on his knees a few feet away from you.

"What happened?" Derek moans. "I feel so dizzy."

"What happened?" you repeat. "I think we just brought a mummy back to life!"

You help him up. Then you and Derek gaze at each other. Your hands, your arms, your faces. They're all normal again!

No more mummy skin. No more empty eye sockets.

Just two normal kids - on top of Coit Tower.

It takes some quick thinking, but finally the two of you find your way back to the hotel. Without getting caught. Your parents never know that you were gone.

But before you go to sleep, there's just one last thing you've got to do. You and Derek hurry over to the Pyramid Building and sneak into the lobby. You just have to find out! Is the mummy still on display?

"Derek!" you cry, as soon as you step inside. "Look!"

The entire lobby is empty. There is no mummy case. No Egyptian display. Everything - every scrap of evidence that the mummy was ever there - is gone.

As if it had never been there...

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Interrupted a ritual and dried up into dust.

Achievements
:siren:A Pharaoh in Frisco: Let the mummy revive himself.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Hide in the elevator.
  • Pick up the bandages.
  • Don't give the mummy the diary.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose
A good ending.

Take the bandages.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Get ye bandages.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Huh. That was a pretty short route all things considered. Take bandages.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You'll hide as soon as you get a better look at those bandages!

Your hand shakes as you bend down to pick up a long piece of cloth. It's so old and thin and gauzy.

Can this really be a bandage that wrapped up the mummy?

Almost in a trance, you stare at the ancient fabric in your hands. Your eyes glaze over. All you can think about is the mummy...

Out there... somewhere... alive.

When you snap out of the daydream, you hear the footsteps again. You glance up and peer into the dark corners of the lobby.

You spot a shadow moving.

Uh-oh! Time to hide! You try to drop the cloth, but for some reason, you can't seem to let go. You glance down and gasp!

Somehow, the bandage has wrapped itself around your hand!

And around your arm.

It's wrapping up your whole body!

quote:

Terrified, you claw the bandages with both hands. You tear at them, trying to pull them away from your arms, your neck...

But by now your hands are wrapped up. Both of them. It's as if you're wearing gauze mittens. You can't grip the cloth. The harder you try to pull the bandages away, the more tightly they encircle you.

You gaze down at your legs. Oh, no! They're wrapped up, too. In fact, your whole body is completely bandaged.

Like a mummy!

No! you want to scream. But the sound won't come out.

Then you hear a scuffling sound again. An instant later, a figure steps out of the shadows.

You gasp and stumble back.

It's the mummy!

You stare in horror at his brown and leathery, dried, shrunken body.

Then he starts to walk toward you.

quote:

This can't be happening! your brain screams. The diary can't be true. A mummy can't come back to life. Not after being dead for four thousand years.

But he is! And he is headed straight toward you!

His nose is a pointed bump on his hard, brown-leather face. His eye sockets have no eyeballs. They're just big, gaping pits. His mouth is open in a hideous half-smile, half-scream.

He's so tiny, you think. About your height, but much thinner. Bonier. So horrible, but so small.

For just an instant, you feel sorry for him.

Until you realize he's coming closer... closer...

Before you know it, he reaches out and touches your face.

A sudden jolt flows through you - like an electrical shock. Then the mummy pulls his hand away. Your heart nearly stops as you watch what's happening.

The mummy begins to transform.

Into you!

quote:

The mummy's leathery face softens and then fills out. His dried skin becomes fleshy and alive.

Hey! That's your face! Not only that, he's even wearing your clothes!

Then he turns and runs away.

Your face and body start to tingle. Something's happening. Something horrible!

You grab and claw at the bandages that wrap you tightly. Under the bandages, you can feel your flesh shriveling and drying - as if you've been sitting in an oven for four thousand years.

It's the bandages, you realize. The bandages are doing something to your skin!

You notice a loose end of cloth dangling from a long bandage. You yank it and the cloth around your head begins to unwind.

You have to see what's happening to you! You race toward the elevators, frantically unwrapping as you go. You gaze into the polished chrome elevator doors.

No!

Your heart pounds in terror when you see your reflection.

Your face! It's brown and leathery. Your skin is dried and shrunken. Your mouth is a gaping hole.

You've turned into the mummy!

quote:

The room spins. You struggle to keep from fainting.

This can't be happening!

But one more look in the chrome, mirrored elevator door convinces you.

It's happening.

You're a mummy.

At first, you are too terrified to think. You just stand there in the lobby, stunned.

Then you hear the sleeping guard start to move.

Uh-oh. He's waking up.

You don't want to face him - or anyone - looking like this!

Quickly, you come up with a plan.

You've got to make it back to the hotel. Maybe your family can help. But that means walking through the streets. You'd have to take your chances and hope that no one spots you - a living mummy!

Then again, you could try to unwrap the horrible mummy bandages right now. Maybe if you get them off, you'll change back into yourself again. What should you do?

If you go back to the hotel, turn to PAGE 47.

If you unwrap yourself, turn to PAGE 115.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Mummy's Diary

Bad Endings
Interrupted a ritual and dried up into dust.

Achievements
A Pharaoh in Frisco: Let the mummy revive himself.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Return to the hotel.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

This book is actually pretty spooky.

Go back to the hotel.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

I'm not a complete mummy, I'll unwrap myself to prove it and reveal the kid I really am.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Strip it off, baby

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

This book is actually pretty spooky.

Go back to the hotel.

Yeah, this part deeply unnerved me when I read it as a kid. Way scarier than the normal Give Yourself Goosebumps fare. Go back to the hotel.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose
Okay that was a bad idea take the bandages off again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Both your mom and brother have more characterization in this book than either of your cousins in the last one, even if it's only that your brother is a practical joker and that your mom is strict.

Take off the bandages