Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Mezzanon posted:

With vial it can do an actual snapcaster impersonation.

Except it's opponent's graveyards, so you're depending on them to play spells that do what you want.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Watching lotus vale and scorched ruins skyrocket in price is pretty funny.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Does humans have a good Jund/DS matchup?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

TheKingofSprings posted:

Does humans have a good Jund/DS matchup?

It depends. When I play against it with Grixis DS I can crush it if the draw is right. But I can get turn 3 steamrolled if it's not.

It's probably 55-45 for DS

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Today I learned that Leyline of the Void counters Gifts Ungiven because Gifts Ungiven has to target a player.

And here I was thinking that I was siding it in to block Grapeshot.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Star Man posted:

Today I learned that Leyline of the Void counters Gifts Ungiven because Gifts Ungiven has to target a player.

Leyline of Sanctity, but yeah. Also stops Intuition.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Star Man posted:

Sanctity, and yeah it prevents it from ever being cast because it has to target an opponent. I believe Intuition uses the same templating. Strangely, FoF doesn't but Fortune's Favor does.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

EvilBeard posted:

Except it's opponent's graveyards, so you're depending on them to play spells that do what you want.

I just assume I'm using it for push or path 95% of the time.

CoCo the other 5%

Vial humans doesn't play any non-vial, non-creature spells. So it could be a way for the deck to get some corner plays.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Mezzanon posted:

I just assume I'm using it for push or path 95% of the time.

CoCo the other 5%

i will probably happily thoughtseize or inquisition you with my red snap too

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

EvilBeard posted:

Leyline of Sanctity, but yeah. Also stops Intuition.

You'd think I could remember the name of a card that I have three copies of in my own RW prison sideboard but here we are.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Been playing around with a couple different versions of GW Company and I can't decide which one I like more. Thoughts?

#1 which is closer to the lists that pop up more frequently online-
5 Forest
1 Gavony Township
4 Ghost Quarter
2 Horizon Canopy
2 Plains
2 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath
3 Wooded Foothills
2 Aven Mindcensor
1 Azusa, Lost but Seeking
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Collected Company
4 Courser of Kruphix
1 Eternal Witness
4 Knight of the Reliquary
3 Noble Hierarch
4 Path to Exile
1 Qasali Pridemage
2 Ramunap Excavator
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Selfless Spirit
2 Tireless Tracker
3 Voice of Resurgence
//Sideboard
1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Kataki, War's Wage
3 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
1 Mirran Crusader
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
2 Stony Silence
2 Surgical Extraction

#2 which gets into GW Hatebears territory minus the Vials (and I really want an excuse to run my playset of Thalias)-
1 Flooded Strand
3 Forest
4 Ghost Quarter
2 Horizon Canopy
3 Plains
1 Tectonic Edge
2 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath
3 Wooded Foothills
3 Birds of Paradise
3 Blade Splicer
4 Collected Company
1 Dromoka's Command
4 Flickerwisp
3 Noble Hierarch
4 Path to Exile
2 Ramunap Excavator
2 Scavenging Ooze
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
1 Tireless Tracker
3 Voice of Resurgence
//Sideboard
2 Blessed Alliance
1 Burrenton Forge-Tender
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Kataki, War's Wage
2 Mirran Crusader
2 Stony Silence
3 Surgical Extraction

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I have always thought of company decks as decks that can have a lot of variance, especially with your one ofs. It is a meta call for sure. Seems to me that you want to play the second version more, so do that until your meta forces you to change some slots.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Vital Signs posted:

I have always thought of company decks as decks that can have a lot of variance, especially with your one ofs.

Yeah it felt like they were imitating pod decks in that way, except pod + Chord meant that could reliably tutor for any singleton creature. I'd have to do the math, way too early for that, but I feel like a one-of creature is only going to appear in 1/2 of your games if you hit all 4 CoCo (so more realistically less than 1/4 of your games).

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Did anyone catch the list of that UR delver deck with 3 main deck blood moon for the SCG open last weekend?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Vital Signs posted:

I have always thought of company decks as decks that can have a lot of variance, especially with your one ofs. It is a meta call for sure. Seems to me that you want to play the second version more, so do that until your meta forces you to change some slots.

They're not really higher variance than other decks. Jund and abzan have a lot of scattered one and two ofs too, but they're all just resource denial cards that are slightly better or worse against different people or bad in multiples. Everything in GW company does some variation of "develop my board while picking up incidental card advantage". You're rarely going to lose games because you drew one value bear instead of another.

The combo-based collected company decks are a different animal, but chord still makes them very consistent.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

uninverted posted:

They're not really higher variance than other decks. Jund and abzan have a lot of scattered one and two ofs too, but they're all just resource denial cards that are slightly better or worse against different people or bad in multiples. Everything in GW company does some variation of "develop my board while picking up incidental card advantage". You're rarely going to lose games because you drew one value bear instead of another.

The combo-based collected company decks are a different animal, but chord still makes them very consistent.
To me, having quite a few different combinations of one ofs is something I would label as variance, but I see your point. This does go back to meta choices though, which is obviously very different when comparing FNM to an Open.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah I think I just need to play around with it a little more. The meta at my preferred store is also really spread out so it makes predicting my matchups week-to-week pretty tricky.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

L0cke17 posted:

It (Blood Sun) has potential in modern to make the ravnica bouncelands just etb tapped sol lands. So perhaps some sort of primeval titan/amulet deck would benefit from this as well, with its hosing of fetches being incidental to its playability

Just as a note they'd just be 2 color sol lands, they'd enter untapped.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Skyl3lazer posted:

Just as a note they'd just be 2 color sol lands, they'd enter untapped.

The best parts of the Amulet/Titanshift decks are about abusing abilities of lands. Getting a Blood Sun out just makes you a slower Tron deck.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I can see a different version of the deck as a ramp deck possibly working, but I think Blood Sun costing 3 might just be a little high to let that deck be a thing, whereas 1) Amulet comes down on 1 and 2) the deck can function without the amulet.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

So uh, I brewed this pile. For some reason. I really want to fit a Jailer and/or the 3rd Stoneforge in but I have no idea what to cut. All I can think of is going down to 3 Swords. I also don't hate the idea of a 3rd Revoker or Prelate for my store but I'm pretty sure there's not room for that. Not of this World is probably too deep but I think that's the whole point of this deck anyway so.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GoutPatrol posted:

The best parts of the Amulet/Titanshift decks are about abusing abilities of lands. Getting a Blood Sun out just makes you a slower Tron deck.

If Blood Sun does see play, it's going to be as a sideboard for G/r Tron to hose three color fetchland decks.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Just wanted to say - coming from Lands in legacy.

Amulet Titan is loving awesome and fun as hell. Extremely my poo poo

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

So uh, I brewed this pile. For some reason. I really want to fit a Jailer and/or the 3rd Stoneforge in but I have no idea what to cut. All I can think of is going down to 3 Swords. I also don't hate the idea of a 3rd Revoker or Prelate for my store but I'm pretty sure there's not room for that. Not of this World is probably too deep but I think that's the whole point of this deck anyway so.

initial thoughts: lol

secondary thoughts: get that trinket mage outta there and play a third stoneforge mystic. also, what's the idea behind one Flagstones? I thought the joke (notwithstanding those sickos in modern doing hosed up repugnant poo poo like casting boom//bust) was you got to legend rule one away to ramp yourself?

here's something else I'm putting together in old school, god have mercy on my soul. I'm not sure about the sideboard now that I have too many Arabian Nights cards and can't just slam four City in a Bottle in there. also argothian pixies, while fitting the curve and not having a double-color requirement with the world's greediest mana base, is pretty bad and I feel like there has to be something better. and, for the record, it has occurred to me that I am proposing an Armageddon deck in which 1/5 of my threats are Mishra's Factories:

//Main
//threats
4 Savannah Lions
4 Argothian Pixies
4 Serendib Efreet
4 Erhnam Djinn

//removal
4 Disenchant
4 Swords to Plowshares
2 Armageddon
1 Chaos Orb
1 Psionic Blast

//hosed up magic cards
3 Sylvan Library
1 Time Walk
1 Regrowth
1 Ancestral Recall

//mana
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Black Lotus
1 Sol Ring
1 Library of Alexandria
4 Tropical Island
4 Tundra
4 Savannah
4 Mishra's Factory
4 Strip Mine

//Sideboard
1 Balance
3 Blue Elemental Blast
2 Control Magic
1 Dust to Dust
2 Energy Flux
2 Power Sink
1 Psionic Blast
3 Whirling Dervish

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 16, 2018

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

initial thoughts: lol

secondary thoughts: get that trinket mage outta there and play a third stoneforge mystic. also, what's the idea behind one Flagstones? I thought the joke (notwithstanding those sickos in modern doing hosed up repugnant poo poo like casting boom//bust) was you got to legend rule one away to ramp yourself?

Trinket Mage lets me Recruiter for Dreadnought, :cmon:

Flagstones is the Xth Plains that you play if there's not a lot of Blood Moons around and if you're playing Cataclysm in your sideboard.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

oh yeah cataclysm, another card that should be banned and is only played by the worst degenerates

the tutor for another tutor chain seems kinda magic christmas land, and I never needed to do it when I played four Walking Ballista in Food Chain, but I was also playing brainstorm, ponder, and manipulate fate

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

oh yeah cataclysm, another card that should be banned and is only played by the worst degenerates

the tutor for another tutor chain seems kinda magic christmas land, and I never needed to do it when I played four Walking Ballista in Food Chain, but I was also playing brainstorm, ponder, and manipulate fate

Oh look at me I play good cards and also Ponder and also I always have the right cards when I need them look how lucky I am :argh:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

well, happily for you, my luck has turned: i'm playing a deck with four argothian pixies in it

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

C-Euro posted:

#1 which is closer to the lists that pop up more frequently online-
5 Forest
1 Gavony Township
4 Ghost Quarter
2 Horizon Canopy
2 Plains
2 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath
3 Wooded Foothills
2 Aven Mindcensor
1 Azusa, Lost but Seeking
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Collected Company
4 Courser of Kruphix
1 Eternal Witness
3 Noble Hierarch
4 Path to Exile
1 Qasali Pridemage
2 Ramunap Excavator
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Selfless Spirit
2 Tireless Tracker
3 Voice of Resurgence
//Sideboard
1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Kataki, War's Wage
3 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Mirran Crusader
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
2 Stony Silence
2 Surgical Extraction

1-2 with this pile tonight, lost in a close three to Bant Spirits, then lost in three to Jeskai Control with the help of mulls to 5 and a bad 6, and then won in three vs KCI Eggs(?!) off of turn 2 Stony Silence in back to back games. The deck just feels...I don't know, boring? Getting a bunch of value out of land drops with some combo of Courser, Tracker and Excavator seems like it should be worth more. But I can never tell if that engine is winning me games, or if I'm able to put it together only in the games that I'm going to win anyway.

I'll probably give it another go with the current build and then try out the more Hatebears-y version, which will probably set me on the path to just playing Hatebears/Taxes.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 20, 2018

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

10 people showed up for legacy. 4 Chalice decks, 3 DRS decks, 2 burn, and some idiot still pretending Death and Taxes is playable. Good format :thumbsup:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

10 people showed up for legacy. 4 Chalice decks, 3 DRS decks, 2 burn, and some idiot still pretending Death and Taxes is playable. Good format :thumbsup:

looks like a pretty diverse meta of cards that answer aether vial. healthy format, imo

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

suicidesteve posted:

Hmm, needs about another ten layers of sarcasm and cynicism to be a suicidesteve post.

I give it a D-

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Star Man posted:

Hmm, needs about another ten layers of sarcasm and cynicism to be a suicidesteve post.

I give it a D-

Does it help if I explain the joke that I'm the idiot still playing Death and Taxes?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

suicidesteve posted:

Does it help if I explain the joke that I'm the idiot still playing Death and Taxes?

No, that would be too easy. Needs something more opaque.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

My friend is trying to position himself to get Death and Taxes whenever they reprint Rishadan Port, but he's really into cryptocurrency, so he's probably also an idiot.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

TVsVeryOwn posted:

My friend is trying to position himself to get Death and Taxes whenever they reprint Rishadan Port, but he's really into cryptocurrency, so he's probably also an idiot.

I mean, ports are pretty cheap right now, aren't they? (compared to when they were $100 each).

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I wanted to get a 2nd set of all the non-Port cards so I would have a deck to lend people/have something for my daughter to play eventually maybe for the exact same reason. Plus if WotC ever decides to do something good for once and unban Stoneforge (haha,) that card is just free money. It's just so unplayable right now, even with a splash, and the right people don't whine about the format so I don't see it ever getting better. Also nobody will take my dogecoin as payment for the cards.

About the only hope I see is the team PT coming up, and even then it wouldn't surprise me if they ignored a 28-32 DRS top 8. Or they'll ban Brainstorm or something instead.

Basically what I'm saying is ban fetches.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

suicidesteve posted:

Basically what I'm saying is ban fetches.

hey, man, i JUST bought tarns, ok?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

hey, man, i JUST bought tarns, ok?

Condolences. I've got several playsets of Russian KTK and most of a playset of Zendikar foils or Russian fetches. Ban them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

not really sure what you think is unfair about a lotus petal that's also an ancestral recall, but okay