Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm watching Hail Caesar and interestingly Alden is playing a simple genuine man who is out of his element going to a high end production from stunt Westerns struggling to deliver lines. He's giving a great performance.

So what the gently caress is this hatchet job about him not being able to act by Disney's hit people? Maybe if they asked him to imitate Harrison Ford which is b.s. to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Gatts posted:

I'm watching Hail Caesar and interestingly Alden is playing a simple genuine man who is out of his element going to a high end production from stunt Westerns struggling to deliver lines. He's giving a great performance.

So what the gently caress is this hatchet job about him not being able to act by Disney's hit people? Maybe if they asked him to imitate Harrison Ford which is b.s. to begin with.

The joke in Hail Caesar is that he's actually too good of an actor, effortlessly imitating Ralph Fiennes foppish accent, the director being too angry/dense to realize it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
And I think part of the joke is that he's representative of a new breed of actors emerging- better with an expression and a simple line than with flowery dramatic dialogue.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Glass houses

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Gatts posted:

Narrative control. People will be kinder on the film if they don't expect a good one.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

The eyelashes on the milkmonster make this NSFW

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

And I think part of the joke is that he's representative of a new breed of actors emerging- better with an expression and a simple line than with flowery dramatic dialogue.

I do have to say that shot of him sitting on the couch and the way it’s done the guy speaks volumes just sitting there with that look and body language. He looks perfect for the era with presence.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Gatts posted:

The acting coach report came out with the leak that they were giving Han Solo an Ace Ventura-esque bent. Disney supposedly hired the coach to help him since that kind of zany improv was an acting style Ehrenreich had no experience with. I'm guessing that was one of the many red flags to Lucasfilm that the direction the movie was going wasn't working. Kasdan was also apparently angry at the liberties being taken with his and his son's script.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

On the one hand, slavery is always bad.

On the other hand, maybe we can make slavery good by concentrating really hard, imagining that an old man in California imagines an alternate universe populated by people that are identical to humans in every way except you can enslave them without it being unethical. It’s for some reason vitally important for us to imagine (that an old man imagines) an alternate, tautological universe where slavery is ethical because slavery is ethical.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

On the other hand, maybe we can make slavery good by concentrating really hard, imagining that an old man in California imagines an alternate universe populated by people that are identical to humans in every way except you can enslave them without it being unethical. It’s for some reason vitally important for us to imagine (that an old man imagines) an alternate, tautological universe where slavery is ethical because slavery is ethical.

Here's another take: Star Wars isn't about droid slavery.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

George Lucas is smarter, richer, famous-er, and has a better body than either of us.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaws posted:

Here's another take: Star Wars isn't about droid slavery.

Luke Skywalker, protagonist of Star Wars, is literally a slavemaster in charge of overseeing the droid slaves on his farm.

C3PO, Luke’s droid slave, refers to Luke as ‘Master’.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Luke Skywalker, protagonist of Star Wars, is literally a slavemaster in charge of overseeing the droid slaves on his farm.

C3PO, Luke’s droid slave, refers to Luke as ‘Master’.

You are being far too literal. It's an aspect of Star Wars that is glossed over. Again, droid sentience and their place in the Star Wars universe isn't the focal point. It's muddled at best. Lucas placed little emphasis on it for a reason.

Really, if all you got from the Star Wars movies is the droid thing you missed the point by a mile.

I've given him poo poo for years now but I think Cnut the Great is the only person in this thread that really 'gets' these movies.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Yaws posted:

You are being far too literal.

Surreal.

I feel like a crazy person thinking 'droid sentience and their place in the Star Wars universe isn't the focal point' doesn't preclude the fact that droids are basically slaves.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It also absolutely is a focal point because of how much time we just spend with droids bein' droids, especially right at the start of the first ever Star Wars movie.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Judging Luke for having slaves is like judging George Washington for having them. He's the father of the country, idiot.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

Surreal.

I feel like a crazy person thinking 'droid sentience and their place in the Star Wars universe isn't the focal point' doesn't preclude the fact that droids are basically slaves.

Wow! You really blew my mind here! It's not like we've been over this a thousand loving times.

Droids?!?! They're slaves? I just noticed the scene in A New Hope where the droids are lined up like African slaves in the antebellum south! Sweet mother of gently caress I think I'm onto something here! People must know! It's like there's some parallel here!

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Yaws posted:

Wow! You really blew my mind here! It's not like we've been over this a thousand loving times.

Droids?!?! They're slaves? I just noticed the scene in A New Hope where the droids are lined up like African slaves in the antebellum south! Sweet mother of gently caress I think I'm onto something here! People must know! It's like there's some parallel here!

I honestly respect how you've now turned being continuously, aggressively wrong about droids and clones for over three years into a strength of your argument rather than a weakness

Like you've literally never been convincing on this. You've always embarrassed yourself. It's heartening really

edit: I wouldn't have mentioned this but you're the guy who wanted to argue from "heard it all before in this thread"

Crion fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 14, 2018

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Why can't robots become jedis? That's racist, Disney!

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Wonder how many Star Wars fans in this thread own MAGA hats.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I wonder what those against the prominence of droid sentience as a theme make of the scene in Rogue One where K sees an imperial droid identical to him, and seconds later is extracting the droid's memories, killing them.

It's a brief scene, but it makes an impression.

Screencaps don't convey that this is a series of emphatic camera moves showing distinct moments, in this one the eyes flicker simultaneously.

What does his body language convey here, after he's done it?

What's the point in such a rich and disturbing scene, where the bulk of what's conveyed, the horror of the situation, goes unsaid, if droids can't feel, if they can't think? If not, it's merely a scene where a robot, conforming to its new programming, extracts information from another robot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
R1 Best Star Wars.

Serf
May 5, 2011

in the opening scenes of ANH threepio expresses the fact that droids are alive and that their existence is suffering. i dunno what more there really is to say

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Serf posted:

in the opening scenes of ANH threepio expresses the fact that droids are alive and that their existence is suffering. i dunno what more there really is to say

Whoa way to be overly literal !!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Serf posted:

Children really shouldn't be making life at such a young age anyway.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Come on, guys, the sentience of the droids in Star Wars is muddled at best!

For instance, have you ever noticed that droids are always following orders despite having reservations, when a sentient being would either just carry out an order un-feelingly or not follow through 'cause they don't wanna?

Also, guys, sometimes droids have reservations! No sentient being ever has reservations, what sort of god-fearing organic being has such a fraught emotional condition?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I fairness to Yaws, his argument is that a film cannot be ‘about’ something unless that something is also ‘handled’ and ‘resolved’ at the end of the film/series.

Of course, by this logic, the film Dunkirk is absolutely not about World War II.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Serf posted:

how dare you actually watch a Star Wars movie before arguing about it

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Serf posted:

You can't understand C3P0 because your faulty language circuit makes you unable to correctly process hyperbole. Please see your local brain-mechanic.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

I fairness to Yaws, his argument is that a film cannot be ‘about’ something unless that something is also ‘handled’ and ‘resolved’ at the end of the film/series.

Of course, by this logic, the film Dunkirk is absolutely not about World War II.

This is exactly correct, Dunkirk is not about World War II, it is about the phenomenon of being involved in war itself. It is less about the fact, or the history, than it is the experience.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Do people itt want to have sex with the Star Wars droids? Is that what this is about?

I'm not trying to be crass but c'mon

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Maybe you can begin with how Star Wars depiction of the droids is muddled. Muddled by what? What happens in the films that leads you to believe that the droids are not in fact sentient, and are therefore not slaves?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It is pretty weird that Moral Savant Babby Anakin brutally enslaves a sentient being. Like, unpack that poo poo.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

porfiria posted:

It is pretty weird that Moral Savant Babby Anakin brutally enslaves a sentient being. Like, unpack that poo poo.

He created life for enslavement. He didn't fall because he was a rotten person from the get go, I guess.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Darth Vader is more machine than man.

Therefore, would be allowed in Mos Eisley Cantina?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Yaws posted:

Do people itt want to have sex with the Star Wars droids? Is that what this is about?

I'm not trying to be crass but c'mon

It's telling that this is where your mind takes you

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
DON'T DATE ROBOTS

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yaws, what, in your own words, does it mean for a movie to be about something?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Darth Vader is more machine than man.

Therefore, would be allowed in Mos Eisley Cantina?

I don't think he'd be welcome, but he has the power to enter and demand service regardless of the wishes of the proprietor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaws posted:

Actually, yes; if the droids are not people, then all of Star Wars is populated with sex weirds who programmed every computer to say ‘massa’, scream when whipped, and periodically flee.

Luke is not unethical, in this view, because he is merely roleplaying as a slavemaster in his Second Life, fooling around with the decorative handcuffs on his uncle’s farming equipment.

Those are your two options.

(This is closely related to the notion that the First Order are cosplayers and Rey is a Star Wars fan. That’s to say it’s all a LARP where only select white characters are truly real.)