Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Q8ee posted:

that site is awesome. also jfc I played Kayle and totally bombed it. I was just utter garbage. I chose them as a support role as well lol

I really ought to play against bots, but I just find bots boring. it's way more enjoyable (and rage inducing) playing against other people.

op.gg is my favorite; go to their statistics page and look at the stays for silver or gold.

http://na.op.gg/statistics/champion/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pretty much the only champions I'd recommend a new player stay away from are champions with high skill floors (Riven, Yasuo, Zed, Tahm Kench, Ryze, off the top of my head), as they tend to require solid mechanical execution and good game knowledge to do anything.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

this thread has helped me regain some sanity. I felt like I was clomping around, but the advice / info you guys have given me points me in the right direction and will stop me feeling like I've got no idea what is going on.

as for the roles I think I'd like, I'd love a champion that is tanky and can hold their own, but can also deal burst damage and delete enemies. I also wanna give supporting roles a go, as I'd love looking out for our ADC and keeping them safe and out of trouble, whilst pissing off the enemy.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Q8ee posted:

as a fresh player, are there sites I can go on that give me the rundown on what's "in" at the minute? cause I'd much rather play games that are enjoyable rather than games where I feel so inadequate 90% of the time and just get steamrolled.

Lolalytics.com also add me on league at "MiddleLaneBrain" to get an ex dota players perspective

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Q8ee posted:

as for the roles I think I'd like, I'd love a champion that is tanky and can hold their own, but can also deal burst damage and delete enemies. I also wanna give supporting roles a go, as I'd love looking out for our ADC and keeping them safe and out of trouble, whilst pissing off the enemy.

For the former, you're probably looking at someone like Jarvan IV, Kled, or Xin Zhao in the toplane. They're not classified as "true" tanks, and thus tend to have more limited survivability options, but they also can deal immense burst damage when built properly. There's also less mobile options like Illaoi and Darius who tend to have both higher sustained damage and more survivability, but trade that off with being slow as molasses and having trouble starting fights on their terms without blowing their summoner spells.

For the latter, you've got a lot of different options. If you like pissing people off and foiling their plans, you can either play a tank that's good at disengaging and team protection (Braum or Alistar), or play an enchanter that's good at keeping their team alive and disengaging the enemy (Janna or Lulu). Right now, tank supports are in vogue, and they also are really fun to play once you get the hang of them. Alistar's been consistently good for multiple seasons, and he does good damage during laning phase, so you might want to give him a try.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Q8ee posted:

this thread has helped me regain some sanity. I felt like I was clomping around, but the advice / info you guys have given me points me in the right direction and will stop me feeling like I've got no idea what is going on.

Sion is a 1350BE tanky tank that is all about the burst damage and peeling your squishies and is satisfying to charge a Q over someones head and has decent engage in his ult and E, he can go in lane and jungle, even mid if you don't mind your team thinking your trolling.
Malphite for more burst damage and power loaded into the R and the ability to walk all over the all too common full AD teams.

Buy up all of the 450BE champs, most of the 1350 champs.

Illaoi is fotm, winning or losing her lane is also entirely decided at champ select, you pick something that can deal with her or you don't deal with her, she trashes melee, gets kited by ranged who just hit her outside of her death fortress of tentacles.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sion's actually a pretty good pure tank right now for a new player. All of his skills are self explanatory, he has a good laning phase thanks to his E and Comet, his ult is a lot of fun to use, and you get to listen to Scott McNeil do a less throaty version of Dinobot. The downside is that he has limited mobility, so if you hate getting kited, he may not be the champ for you.

If you want to try out Alistar, you should still be able to get him for free. Just visit here and click on the "Free Unchained Alistar" link that's appropriate for your region. Unless they changed it, that should give you both Alistar and a skin for him.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 14, 2018

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Q8ee posted:

Try Cho'gath for deletion, his ult does true damage (damage unaffected by armor or magic resist) equal to a % of his max health, so you just get as much health as humanly possible, walk up to the squishy carry, press R and eat them. Also every time he kills something with the ult he gets more health and also gets physically bigger.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Poppy is a fun tank who's in the 450 tier and can burst carries down if she can get a wallstun on them. she got a full rework a couple years ago so she's basically new champ quality design despite being in the bargain bin price tier.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

njsykora posted:

Try Cho'gath for deletion, his ult does true damage (damage unaffected by armor or magic resist) equal to a % of his max health, so you just get as much health as humanly possible, walk up to the squishy carry, press R and eat them. Also every time he kills something with the ult he gets more health and also gets physically bigger.

Cho's also a decent pick for top, although he's pretty rough until you learn every matchup inside and out. He gets cyberbullied super hard by a lot of the popular toplaners; you're mostly hoping and praying you'll survive until 6 and Bramblevest with minimal deaths.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

what's with how friendly and welcoming this thread is? legitimately didn't expect such a torrent of advice for a new guy. thanks! got a bunch of champs to try out now thanks to the stuff you've all posted, looking forward to it. the account I'm using is from back in 2012 when I was a nerd with nothing better to spend his money on, so a lot of these champs are available for me to use.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Q8ee posted:

take a look into darius for the former, and for the latter, janna is the ultimate pick, but you can also do with nami as well. for really cheap champions that can fill those roles, garen can blow people up, and... janna, is the ultimate keeping your adc safe and pissing off the enemy character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nasus honestly isn't a bad pick if you want to be tanky while doing damage, you can just build him as a bruiser and his Q will still chunk people out, and his ult gives him so much raw stats that he's pretty hard to chunk down in a fight. The way his Q works will also kind of force you to learn how last hitting works, while also giving you a bit of a crutch in terms of getting okay CS, especially combined with his E. His W is also a huge slow so it's great for chasing, and his E reduces MR/Armor by a lot in its radius, so you're giving your team some unique utility.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 14, 2018

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Buy up anything that has had a recent overhaul like warwick poppy eve sion and the like.

Sion comes with my highest recommendation if you want to do things like this https://www.twitch.tv/videos/184869799 or save a teammate like this https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181949462

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Q8ee posted:

as a fresh player, are there sites I can go on that give me the rundown on what's "in" at the minute? cause I'd much rather play games that are enjoyable rather than games where I feel so inadequate 90% of the time and just get steamrolled.

quickest way to get good is pick a lane/role that sounds fun to you, preferably one that most teams would benefit from having (so like if you wanna play top maybe focus on tank picks), try out a couple champions in that role until it feels like someone you wanna learn, and then just spam them for a long time.

A lot of getting good at league is understanding the game and being aware of what you should be doing at any given time, and really the only way to practice this is to be playing a champion you're comfortable enough with where you don't need to be thinking about the mechanics of the champion, you just need to be able to identify whether you need to be running or fighting or w/e and have what that means come naturally. Once you've one tricked for a while and got good at cs'ing, rotating, watching the mini map, what stats to buy in a given game, etc, you should already be at least low gold and have an easier time transitioning into playing whatever champ you wanna try out, because you'll have a base understanding to the game that makes everything else easier.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
just play one champ in one lane forever

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Q8ee posted:

what's with how friendly and welcoming this thread is? legitimately didn't expect such a torrent of advice for a new guy. thanks! got a bunch of champs to try out now thanks to the stuff you've all posted, looking forward to it.

ape must not kill ape :hai:

plus goons love shobon newbies

even league goons

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tales of Woe posted:

Poppy is a fun tank who's in the 450 tier and can burst carries down if she can get a wallstun on them. she got a full rework a couple years ago so she's basically new champ quality design despite being in the bargain bin price tier.

Warwick is another 450-IP recent rework. He is no longer a guy with one button; instead, he's a guy with one button that can miss!

Nunu is also really strong, especially at low levels and experience, because you can just wander around eating the enemy jungle and throwing snowballs at people who try to stop you as you waddle away.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Nunu is simple to play and has good sustain for learning jungling, but by no means would I ever describe him as "really strong" in the current game.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Killed By Death posted:

Nunu is simple to play and has good sustain for learning jungling, but by no means would I ever describe him as "really strong" in the current game.

if the enemy team does not know how to stop you then you can turn the game into a 4v5 by taking all big camps(gromp + buffs) from both side of the jungle forever and float a 4 level advantage over the other jungler until he quits playing the game

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

Nasus honestly isn't a bad pick if you want to be tanky while doing damage, you can just build him as a bruiser and his Q will still chunk people out, and his ult gives him so much raw stats that he's pretty hard to chunk down in a fight. The way his Q works will also kind of force you to learn how last hitting works, while also giving you a bit of a crutch in terms of getting okay CS, especially combined with his E. His W is also a huge slow so it's great for chasing, and his E reduces MR/Armor by a lot in its radius, so you're giving your team some unique utility.

The problem with Susan is that he is entirely a scaling champion if you build him the usual Q Max. He is very vulnerable to getting bullied in line if you don't know what you're doing, and that can make for a long series of very frustrating games until you figure out how to play Top Lane, how to CS, how to shove and how to freeze, Etc. These are all things that you need to learn anyway, but he's one of those Champions where you can feel completely useless when you're getting Bodied early-game, so if that happens don't give up hope and just work on your fundamentals.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pog boyfriend posted:

if the enemy team does not know how to stop you then you can turn the game into a 4v5 by taking all big camps(gromp + buffs) from both side of the jungle forever and float a 4 level advantage over the other jungler until he quits playing the game

And if the enemy team has an idea of how to stop you but is bad at executing it, you can do all of that while also listening to Yakety Sax cuz you have a Scooby-Doo Chase all over the map

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

I second Sion because you can reliably take him to many lanes. If you can't get top, support Sion has been a niche pick with a high win rate on champion.gg and op.gg since the support rework and he's passable if a little tricky in the jungle.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kind of curious why there is so much love for initiators in the advice. My experience playing initiating tanks with the exception of junglers who can do their own thing is that when you try to initiate your team ignores you and blames you for feeding. It's frustrating for me and I have fairly thick skin, can only imagine how terrible it is for a newbie to go in with a stun combo then slowly die because the ADC decides just then is the best time to go kill wolves.

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

Q8ee posted:

just had the most atrocious game. I was Renekton top lane vs Illaoi. she had total lane control, as everytime I'd get close, she'd just whomp the poo poo out of me with tentacles. she'd also grab me (most of which I dodged, but some got me) and easily do 1/2 my entire health in damage whilst I could do nothing but watch. had literally no idea what to do to reassert lane dominance, as she'd burst me so easily. my jungler only came top once and totally whiffed the gank by exposing himself and waddling up whilst she just ran off.

in teamfights, she'd absolutely blitz us all cause she just summons 3 tentacles that whomp all of us into oblivion. though I'll admit, I fed her, but I legitimately couldn't do anything else. she kept pushing me back out of creep xp range, and when I'd initiate 1v1 fights at full health, she'd still come out on top with 5% health left whilst I'm dead.

In the event you do go up against Illaoi as a melee champ again, the key is to keep dodging her E. If she does land it and you have your cooldowns (and she hasn't got tentacles in the area) you should go toe-to-toe with her, especially as a strong early champ like Renekton. The spirit she pulls will dissipate quicker the more hits you land on her.

After 6 a good Illaoi will be trying to land an E at melee range so she can immediately ult and gently caress your poo poo up (you and your spirit count as a separate champions for the purposes of summoning tentacles).

Another good site for tracking champ win rates is https://lolalytics.com.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Addamere posted:

Kind of curious why there is so much love for initiators in the advice.

Having some form of pick or initiation potential is tremendously helpful. If you don't have it, the enemy team - unless they're similarly without it, which is rare - gets to dictate when and where they actually want to fight. You're effectively depending on them to gently caress up their engage, which is something that you can rely on less and less as you go up in MMR. It's not impossible to win with, say, a siege comp utilizing Janna, but it's harder.

What I figured out about bad initiations over the past season is that they're usually caused by a deficit of some fundamental game skill. In my case, I had a sincere problem with not watching my position relative to the rest of my team, so I'd go in on these crazy engages, be 900 units away from anyone, and pop like a balloon while my team's trying to catch up. Successful engages are engages where the followup is almost immediate, because it forces the enemy team to make a snap decision about whether they think risking their necks to save their teammate is worth it or not. If it's just you doing some piddly damage to the person you initiated on, they'll blow you up and escape without a second thought. If the person you initiated on is getting hit by 4 other stuns and your ADC, they'll be in serious danger of dying and the enemy team will have to frantically make a call before they die or get so low that they can no longer contribute to the fight. I think learning to play an initiator well helps improve your fundamentals, as well as giving you a real capability to steer the direction of the game that someone like Janna simply doesn't have.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 14, 2018

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Vermain posted:

Having some form of pick or initiation potential is tremendously helpful. If you don't have it, the enemy team - unless they're similarly without it, which is rare - gets to dictate when and where they actually want to fight. You're effectively depending on them to gently caress up their engage, which is something that you can rely on less and less as you go up in MMR. It's not impossible to win with, say, a siege comp utilizing Janna, but it's harder.

What I figured out about bad initiations over the past season is that they're usually caused by a deficit of some fundamental game skill. In my case, I had a sincere problem with not watching my position relative to the rest of my team, so I'd go in on these crazy engages, be 900 units away from anyone, and pop like a balloon while my team's trying to catch up. Successful engages are engages where the followup is almost immediate, because it forces the enemy team to make a snap decision about whether they think risking their necks to save their teammate is worth it or not. If it's just you doing some piddly damage to the person you initiated on, they'll blow you up and escape without a second thought. If the person you initiated on is getting hit by 4 other stuns and your ADC, they'll be in serious danger of dying and the enemy team will have to frantically make a call before they die or get so low that they can no longer contribute to the fight. I think learning to play an initiator well helps improve your fundamentals, as well as giving you a real capability to steer the direction of the game that someone like Janna simply doesn't have.

I agree I think practicing initiation, while frustrating when you mess up, gets you a great sense of how to read the map, team fight prospects and your teammates' frame of mind.

Camel Camus fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 14, 2018

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I get what you're saying. It's just that it's really obnoxiously boring to play a melee engager like Leona because you always want to go in when the enemy missteps. Deep down the issue is that I don't really want to learn when I shouldn't go in; instead, I want my team to be with me instead of 900 units away or derping around in the jungle, so that when I decide to go in they can/will immediately follow up. Especially at low MMR there's lots of people with no map awareness, even of the portion of the map that's visible on their screen, and will merrily keep on auto attacking minions or backing or whatever they're doing when you try to give them a gank. And heaven forbid you want to play a melee engage support like Leona at low MMR, you're just going to constantly feed.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Addamere posted:

Kind of curious why there is so much love for initiators in the advice. My experience playing initiating tanks with the exception of junglers who can do their own thing is that when you try to initiate your team ignores you and blames you for feeding. It's frustrating for me and I have fairly thick skin, can only imagine how terrible it is for a newbie to go in with a stun combo then slowly die because the ADC decides just then is the best time to go kill wolves.

goons love tanky initiators and supports. pass it on.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
After a long and hard fought battle to brutally execute every quinn top advocate, goons finally love initiators.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yi support with relic shield is one hellova iniator :downs:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
so that's what inter means

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

After a long and hard fought battle to brutally execute every quinn top advocate, goons finally love initiators.

it is a neverending struggle my friend. we must stay watchful to ensure they never spring up again

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whats wrong with quinn top

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Everything

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
please do not discriminate against marksbirds

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Addamere posted:

please do not discriminate against marksbirds

someone post the picture of serv owning all quinn goons as pantheon

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Vermain posted:

Pretty much the only champions I'd recommend a new player stay away from are champions with high skill floors (Riven, Yasuo, Zed, Tahm Kench, Ryze, off the top of my head), as they tend to require solid mechanical execution and good game knowledge to do anything.

wat

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

maybe he means the ult which still isn't hard to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I think honestly the hardest part of playing Tahm Kench is hoping your allies remember what your buttons do because no one seems to understand that if I eat you and you right click like a moron you don't stay safe for like 5 seconds and instead we're both sad.