Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

The "Mr. Jackpot" scenes are fantastic and I have to take back my impression that the show is taking on a mostly serious approach.

TP was the funniest show in 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Attitude Indicator posted:

WILSON!!!!!!

is the hardest a tv show has gotten me to laugh in... a decade? since arrested development

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s the laugh out loud comedy that makes the existential dread that much more soul crushing. :cool:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The Walrus posted:

WILSON!!!!!!

is the hardest a tv show has gotten me to laugh in... a decade? since arrested development

Why is this happening?

Aaah!

Aah!

Aaaahhh!

Ah!

Ah!

Aaaah!

Aaahh!

Aaahh!

Aah!

Aah!

Aaah!

Ah!

Ah!

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I wish that "Twin Peaks: The Return" was the official title of the third season--by the end of the season the irony of the title is wonderful.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

No let that dude just watch the new twin peaks and post his reactions in here that would actually be interesting reading in between moist turtleneck making good-rear end Content

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
love it, goddamn watermark though :(

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Baloogan posted:

plus a bunch of things make so much more sense
Haha, yeah, I've been rewatching the entire Twin Peaks from the start the past month or so (and like clockwork my backordered BluRay set of The Return finally arrived the day after I watched The Missing Pieces) and realized the same thing.

It's why I find the complaints/ribbing about Lynch's work "making no sense" being somewhat ridiculous. There's obviously some deliberate opaqueness going on that you'll never know for sure, but like his movies, things that I puzzled over for days in the first viewing now seem blatantly obvious in the second one. The issue of course is that the material is so unpredictable compared to the narratives of most everything else that you miss tons of clues in scenes because you're too busy going "what the gently caress?" the whole time.

Watching it on BluRay instead of streams of various quality helps a lot too. I might still not be 100% sure what I'm looking at but the lack of compression sure lowers the confusion a lot.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The weirdest thing for me rewatching the show is that I find Bad Cooper way less interesting this time around, but I like his supporting cast a lot more.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Finished episodes 5 and 6.

IMO the prior episodes were much more linear and focused, whereas 5 and 6 introduce a lot of new threads, subplots, and mostly yield questions rather than answers surely there must be something big going on with the electric box in a dish in Argentina? What's on the letters Hawk found in the bathroom? What did Dougie's boss decipher out of Dougie's cartoonish scribbles on the forms? What was with that dude doing magic with a dime, and is it related to how Hawk found the notes?

This is not a complaint, in fact these episodes were what I was expecting the show to be. Episodes 1-4 felt like a movie. 5-6 merely tell me the movie is far from over. Time to press onward, perhaps without any expectation on most questions being answered. Dougie is getting to be exasperating - wake up Coop!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hated season 3. Rewatching now I like it a bit more but I still think it was way over padded and had too many scenes that don’t add anything or go no where’s. I know this is a controversial opinion but oh well. I would’ve loved a gross nostalgia trip.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

IMO the prior episodes were much more linear and focused, whereas 5 and 6 introduce a lot of new threads, subplots, and mostly yield questions rather than answers
Don't worry. I won't spoil it for you, but episode 8 is going to wrap up a lot of loose threads and clear everything up for you. I can't wait for you to see it and post your thoughts.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 14, 2018

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

IMO the prior episodes were much more linear and focused, whereas 5 and 6 introduce a lot of new threads, subplots, and mostly yield questions rather than answers surely there must be something big going on with the electric box in a dish in Argentina? What's on the letters Hawk found in the bathroom? What did Dougie's boss decipher out of Dougie's cartoonish scribbles on the forms? What was with that dude doing magic with a dime, and is it related to how Hawk found the notes?

This is not a complaint, in fact these episodes were what I was expecting the show to be. Episodes 1-4 felt like a movie. 5-6 merely tell me the movie is far from over. Time to press onward, perhaps without any expectation on most questions being answered. Dougie is getting to be exasperating - wake up Coop!

Aww, this is so cute. You have no idea what you are in for. Please come back after you watch episode 8.

Spoilered because knowing it's coming ruins the fun.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I don’t think knowing the episode is special is going to spoil a god drat thing about that madness .

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i like hearing new impressions of S3

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I never found Dougie to get less annoying. I was surprised to come online and find that people found him enjoyable.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

eSporks posted:

Aww, this is so cute. You have no idea what you are in for. Please come back after you watch episode 8.

Spoilered because knowing it's coming ruins the fun.
I'm not a fan of reaction videos on youtube but I swear, if I ever do the S3 marathon with someone, I'm setting up a camera for that.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

antidote posted:

I never found Dougie to get less annoying. I was surprised to come online and find that people found him enjoyable.

Dougie is love.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only bad Dougie is like the two episodes where he’s really useless and the amount of disbelief that is required in regards to nobody being like “what’s wrong with him he needs help”.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
All Dougie is good Dougie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2JrgmwWAF0

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I was literally about to post teach me how to dougie

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I'm curious as to how people were not able to suspend disbelief when it comes to Dougie and his interactions with others. In the Twin Peaks universe, weird is absolutely everyday life. This is the same universe with Super Nadine, the Log Lady, BOB, etc.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

It was less suspension of disbelief for me. I could deal with no one putting the pieces together like "hey, he's acting weird." It was more the long, long wait for Coop, and then getting... Dougie.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

The only bad Dougie is like the two episodes where he’s really useless and the amount of disbelief that is required in regards to nobody being like “what’s wrong with him he needs help”.

Marathoning/rewatching the series really help me contextualise and understand how little time passes. I think the entire thing happens over a week or so?

Like, when Dougie is acting like a complete invalid in episodes 10-11 or so, it's been like a day since everybody saw him take down Ike. People are seeing Dougie wildly swing between incredibly effective (Ike, uncovering the fraud) and incredibly ineffective, but he's not being consistently incompetent.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

People are seeing Dougie wildly swing between incredibly effective and incredibly ineffective, but he's not being consistently incompetent.
I'd appreciate you not talking about me behind my back in the Twin Peaks thread

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Attitude Indicator posted:

Also the scariest and most profound. I went through almost every emotion possible watching it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It hasn’t shown up yet in the TVIV poll which is happening right now woop

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

My favourite Dougie moment is when he briefly appears in the middle of an episode in order to get beaned in the head by Sonny Jim.

Escobarbarian posted:

It hasn't shown up yet in the TVIV poll which is happening right now woop

Seems like it's probably barely behind The Good Place and The Leftovers.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

My favorite Dougie moment is “Jane give two rides:downs:”.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'll bet she did!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dougie running into the glass door or whatever was great.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Well, it turned out to be #3 in the TVIV Poll. I really expected it would be #1, based on all the hype and well-deserved praise.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Beaten only by Legion (lol) and The Good Place.

e: I know I have a Legion avatar but still

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

Beaten only by Legion (lol) and The Good Place.

e: I know I have a Legion avatar but still
I don't even know what those shows are.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Raxivace posted:

Then watch The Good Place. You can ignore Legion if you want.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://twitter.com/carlinspace/status/952333198343598080

(If you haven't seen The Book of Henry, you should do it just for the tonal whiplash of seeing how different the performance Naomi Watts gives in it to this is.)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Raxivace posted:

The good place is really funny, although they're kinda writing themselves into a corner a bit at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

TheBizzness posted:

I don’t think knowing the episode is special is going to spoil a god drat thing about that madness .
Not in the normal sense of spoiling. But I think going into it knowing "this is the one they said was crazy" could definitely soften the blow of the greatest "wtf did I just watch?" moment in tv history.