Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I like this more than I should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I like this more than I should.

Now enough people need to buy them new so AI can buy them used in 10 years and not complain they're aren't any small pickups anymore.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Got a good chuckle at the though of calling a modern Ranger ‘small’

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

steel body and 2.3 only. booooo

The lightest crew cab aussie ranger is 4325lbs, the crew cab f-150 with the 5.0 or 2.7 is 4600lbs.

So it's going to be 95% of the height, 95% of the length, 95% of the weight, and probably 95% of the price of an f-150.

Also, the V8s in the silverado can disable up to 7 cylinders, so under light load you're only running on 1. The body has gotten tall as hell, the regular cab work truck probably shows it off the most.

I would bet bumper to hood it's similar to the old c60/c70s

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I guess GM finally figured out how to make the Cimarron engine work :v:

LMAO @ a power lifting tailgate on a Silverado. 'Round these parts tailgates get stolen all the time and end up at the flea market called Trader's Village. Incidentally, all those cool huge Silverado wheels end up there too. Imagine the cost to replace some poo poo like a power tailgate that also has a backup camera in it.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Mental Hospitality posted:

Somehow they managed to make an all new interior look just as ugly and dated as the previous generation. And how'd they shave off 450lbs? What happened to all my submarine steel?!

As boring as that center stack is, modern Ford's are far from the Rubbermaid Outdoor Shed interiors of those dismal cars. I remember sitting in a Dodge Avenger when they came out and the whole inside was constructed of the hardest, scratchiest, hollow plastic I've ever seen this side of a milk jug.

I may be biased because I own a 2017 but I think the interior is fine and does well compared to the competition.
It is kind of weird they didn’t change it at all but I guess most owners they surveyed were happy with it. Thankfully they didn’t glue an iPad to the dash like many other brands are doing.

https://twitter.com/Automotive_News/status/952339789470191616

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Powershift posted:

The lightest crew cab aussie ranger is 4325lbs, the crew cab f-150 with the 5.0 or 2.7 is 4600lbs.

So it's going to be 95% of the height, 95% of the length, 95% of the weight, and probably 95% of the price of an f-150.
It's only sold here as a 2.2L or 3.2L diesel though.
E: No idea what is going into the ranger 'raptor' soon.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 14, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fo3 posted:

It's only sold here as a 2.2L or 3.2L diesel though.
E: No idea what is going into the ranger 'raptor' soon though.

The ranger raptor is supposed to be a new 2.0 i4 diesel with the same power/torque as the 3.2. I wouldn't be surprised if they went diesel in the rest of the world and a hotter 2.7 ecoboost in NA

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
I've got another couple years on my F150 before I trade in, so let's hope a 3.5EB shows up in the raptor version.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
'Gazoo Racing' is the dumbest name.

quote:

The 2018 Geneva Motor Show, two months hence, will serve to intoduce the production Toyota Supra into the world. Rather, not the Toyota Supra, but the Gazoo Racing Supra; Toyota's new hi-po sportscar will retail under Gazoo Racing branding, after Toyota knighted Gazoo as the automaker's performance arm last year. According to Auto Express, the Supra will come in four trims: Supra, Supra GR, Supra GR Sport, and Supra GRMN (GRMN stands for Gazoo Racing tuned by Meisters of the Nürburgring). The report says a "significant gap in performance and price" and different suspension tunes are likely from bottom to top.

Let's make our expensive sports car sound like a cartoon character

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Charles posted:

not complain they're aren't any small pickups anymore.

"Small?"

The Ranger (and Colorado) exist more for price reasons rather than size. They are huge and nothing like the old s10s or rangers that are slowly climbing in price as they become more and more covered.

Personally I'm bitching more about the lack of manuals like a true AI goon.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

cool startup feel posted:

'Gazoo Racing' is the dumbest name.

Let's make our expensive sports car sound like a cartoon character

Hey fella, Toyota can call it the loving blumpkin racing for all I care. All they need to do is make another MK4 Supra. They're gonna make it a stupid hybrid.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BloodBag posted:

Hey fella, Toyota can call it the loving blumpkin racing for all I care. All they need to do is make another MK4 Supra. They're gonna make it a stupid hybrid.

I can’t wait for the butt-hurt when it won’t make 900hp on the stock shortblock like the old ones.

Also for the dyno-explosion videos.

And also for the rage when it’s revealed as a hybrid. :v:

Im still terrified the impending mid-engine Corvette is going to be a hybrid. :ohdear:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

KakerMix posted:

"Small?"

The Ranger (and Colorado) exist more for price reasons rather than size. They are huge and nothing like the old s10s or rangers that are slowly climbing in price as they become more and more covered.

Personally I'm bitching more about the lack of manuals like a true AI goon.

They are also a LOT easier to drive in cities and parking lots. They serve a different niche of customer.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

I get a laugh out of car sites calling this "sleek"

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MrYenko posted:

I can’t wait for the butt-hurt when it won’t make 900hp on the stock shortblock like the old ones.

Also for the dyno-explosion videos.

And also for the rage when it’s revealed as a hybrid. :v:

Im still terrified the impending mid-engine Corvette is going to be a hybrid. :ohdear:

I’ve driven a few hybrid sports cars and all of them are better for it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Powershift posted:

Also, the V8s in the silverado can disable up to 7 cylinders, so under light load you're only running on 1. The body has gotten tall as hell, the regular cab work truck probably shows it off the most.

Better?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

FuturePastNow posted:

I get a laugh out of car sites calling this "sleek"

Yeah that's hideous. It looks like they drove it into a wall

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe a little more

Powershift fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 14, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

chupacabraTERROR posted:

They are also a LOT easier to drive in cities and parking lots. They serve a different niche of customer.
Exactly. The size difference is a big deal in parking lots.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Powershift posted:

Maybe a little more

I wish I was better at gimp, but I can't be bothered to practice :effort:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

Maybe a little more

Now make the bumper body color.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Gonna look badass as a Trophy Truck, though.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

MrYenko posted:

Gonna look badass as a Trophy Truck, though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VW stuck a 280hp V6 in the passat and they think it's hot poo poo

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Powershift posted:

Maybe a little more

This could be the new s-10 and I totally would

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Powershift posted:

What's the appeal? Does it get better real-world mileage than the turbo 4's everyone else uses for that amount of power?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

It's been stuck there since the Passat B6 debut in 2005?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Buuuuuuuuullitt

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yet another mustang appearance package. meh

Bigger news came out of the mustang presentation.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/14/ford-mach-1-ev-2020/

All electric performance car in 2020 called the Mach 1.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Should've just painted it dark blue and called it the Mustang Sonic.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I wonder if Ford knew the family who owned the original Bullitt car was about to unveil it:
https://www.historicvehicle.org/mcqueens-1968-bullitt-movie-mustang-revealed-north-american-international-auto-show/

e: derp, it's 50 years, so I guess both parties had the same idea.

quote:

We contacted Ford early on, as that had been my father’s wish. Together with the HVA, we decided the best time to reveal the car would be today to commemorate both the 50th anniversary of the year the car was produced, and the 50th anniversary of the Bullitt (1968) movie.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 15, 2018

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It's been stuck there since the Passat B6 debut in 2005?

I think it used to be you needed to pay $35k to get it. Now with this new trim you only need to pay $29k?

New Jetta. IRS has been replaced with a twist beam rear suspension.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Throatwarbler posted:

This was already the case in US Jettas that aren't the GLI.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Q_res posted:

This was already the case in US Jettas that aren't the GLI.

They all got IRS after the midcycle refresh in MY2014.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/2014-volkswagen-jetta-gains-independent-rear-suspension-1-8t-engine-233791/

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Wow, so...

2011 -> Switch from IRS to Twist Beam

2014 -> Back to IRS

2019 -> Twist Beam again

What the actual gently caress Volkswagen?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

They gotta dig out from the diesel scandal somehow.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Q_res posted:

Wow, so...

2011 -> Switch from IRS to Twist Beam

2014 -> Back to IRS

2019 -> Twist Beam again

What the actual gently caress Volkswagen?

It's all nickel annd diming, the car is designed to have either one from the factory and cars got different rears depedning on trim and market so there wasn't any packaging advantages for the torsion beam, except on the diesel Golf that could only have a torsion beam because the urea tank occupied the same space as the IRS.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

except on the diesel Golf that could only have a torsion beam because the urea tank occupied the same space as the IRS.

Hahaha, perfect.

kimbo305 posted:

They gotta dig out from the diesel scandal somehow.

"hey, what are we gonna do with all these extra diesel suspensions?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

I think it used to be you needed to pay $35k to get it. Now with this new trim you only need to pay $29k?

Oh man, is that the new Nissan Jetta? Nice!