Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

life is binary

if you choose to be a nocoiner you are a zero

when you buy your first coin you become a one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
sounds a little DUBIous imo

dude is like a cult leader, has a lot of devoted followers and any criticism is met with "yeah but charity" which apparently excuses any awfulness about him. i recall seeing a (vod of a)fundraising stream for the coin or something and he'd be cheering on for any donations for him (or his ""charity"") and being really disappointed at donations to actual charities.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Moxxis Endowment posted:

drat, that guy really hated his wife.

You'd think a guy with that kind of money could hire a lawyer to spring him when there's no charge

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
So, my friend is claiming that he will be a millionaire in no time by buying and selling thousands of dollars of poo poo coins. He claims that all you have to do is watch the graph in real time. You wait for a decline and then at the beginning of an uptick, you buy it, and sell at the next downtick. In my opinion, this is just another get rich quick scheme that allows him to smoke copious amounts of weed in his mother's house.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

jonathan posted:

I highly doubt he was satoshi and never claimed that. But the timeline of when he was talking about the project jives with my theory that he helped or contributed to the original design. When they started to become accepted for buying drugs he pretty much considered the project a success.

But then his crazy girlfriend wanted to get them both thrown in jail so he killed himself via overdose.

His name was Dennis Moran.

Crazy! Remember chatting with him 20 years ago.

Shade2142
Oct 10, 2012

Rollin'

Seymour Butts posted:

So, my friend is claiming that he will be a millionaire in no time by buying and selling thousands of dollars of poo poo coins. He claims that all you have to do is watch the graph in real time. You wait for a decline and then at the beginning of an uptick, you buy it, and sell at the next downtick. In my opinion, this is just another get rich quick scheme that allows him to smoke copious amounts of weed in his mother's house.

There are no get rich quick schemes, only hold/hlod/hodor.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jonathan posted:

That's him but holy poo poo did you read that second link ?

Dennis Moran is a very bitcoin name and that second link has a very bitcoin picture of him, so in my head canon that makes him the most likely candidate for the true identity of Satoshi

The father of cryptocurrency:

The words on his headstone:

quote:

Anyway RIP Coolio! I hope your reading this and upvoting from the computer terminal in heaven, Your on God's blockchain now. God Speed Dennis! When Im bitcoin rich i will destroy some bitcoins in your honor

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zaurg posted:

Crazy! Remember chatting with him 20 years ago.

Yeah he was part of efnet #quake in the mid 90's and we all played quake.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Dennis Moran is a very bitcoin name and that second link has a very bitcoin picture of him, so in my head canon that makes him the most likely candidate for the true identity of Satoshi

The father of cryptocurrency:

The words on his headstone:

his friend should find his computers and become the bitcount of monte cristo

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/13/style/bitcoin-millionaires.html

quote:

He runs Distributed, a 180-page magazine about cryptocurrency that comes out about once a year. He is now raising $75 million for his hedge fund, Ausum Ventures (pronounced “awesome”). He said his closest friends are moving to Puerto Rico to get around paying taxes.

“They’re going to build a modern-day Atlantis out there,” he said. “But for me, it’s too early in my career to check out.”

So how does moving to Puerto Rico, which is a US territory, allow them not to pay US taxes?
Also doesn't he know that Atlantis, yknow, sunk?

This is the only smart person in the article:

quote:

Nearby was Chante Eliaszadeh, 22, a law student at the University of California, Berkeley, who started the Berkeley Law Blockchain group.

“Obviously the bubble’s going to burst and everyone’s going to need a lawyer,” she said.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 15, 2018

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ccs posted:

So how does moving to Puerto Rico, which is a US territory, allow them not to pay US taxes?

they probably just assumed puerto rice was a libertarian paradise since the federal government won't actually touch it

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Ccs posted:

If you're a bona fide resident of Puerto Rico, you only report on Form 1040 the non-Puerto Rico sourced income - the Puerto Rico sourced income is only taxed by Puerto Rico at a 4% tax rate, if I recall correctly.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

That stocks guy moved to Puerto Rico to avoid taxes, it’s not unheard of (Peter Schiff?)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

But if they're making capital gains from bitcoin or stocks wouldn't that still be taxed at the normal US rate since the money is made on the US stock market?

Or by living in Puerto Rico does that count as Puerto Rico sourced income?

Anyway if you're rich, living on an island with failing infrastructure like Puerto Rico to avoid taxes doesn't seem worth it.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I'm no money laundering expert, but couldn't they just wire the money to an offshore swiss bank account/cayman isles for the same tax dodge effect?

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Alan Smithee posted:

his friend should find his computers and become the bitcount of monte cristo Crypto

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Ccs posted:

This is the only smart person in the article:

loving lol

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
A libertarian modern day Atlantis. Isn't that the plot to Bioshock?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Alpha Mayo posted:

A libertarian modern day Atlantis. Isn't that the plot to Bioshock?

is a man not entitled to the sweat of his butt?

A man chooses, a slave obeys!

*gets hit by hammer*

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

There is alot of talk about scalability, throughput & transaction costs - and the fact that BTC currently sucks at all of those is causing it’s price to stagnate whilst other alt coins that say they’ve solved the problem are rallying in price.

The part that most people are missing is that when the Lightning Network successfully rolls out, BTC congestion + transaction costs will wall dramatically, whilst throughput will increase by then same factor.

Which of these small coins are going to compete with a BTC that is just as fast, just as cheap, and already has so much infrastructure built up around it?

None.

So my 2c - invest for the long term.

BTC is one of the best value opportunities right now

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For all the effort getting the bitcoins, one could further their job skillset and gain financially and grow as a human.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

jonathan posted:

For all the effort getting the bitcoins, one could further their job skillset and gain financially and grow as a human.

i choose the third option: doing neither

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Coinbase is not your only option if you want to legitimately buy Bitcoin, Ethereum or Litecoin, at the moment it is the most well known due to their marketing efforts, however that does not mean that other options are not available.

Below are some of the other well known sites that allow you to purchase Bitcoin, Ethereum and Litecoin.

Global Exchanges:

CEX - You can buy Bitcoin and Ethereum instantly. Supports all countries worldwide and verification is fast and simple.

You can also buy and sell up to 10 Bitcoins or 200 Ethereum per order and the fees are lower than most of the other exchanges I have tried.

Verified accounts can deposit/withdraw up to $10,000 worth per day, or up to $100,000 per month via both credit card and bank transfer, at higher verification levels all limits are removed.

At one point they had to temporarily stop user registrations due to the rapid influx of new users.

Coinmama - This is a good site to buy Bitcoins and Ethereum instantly with a debit or credit card.

Accounts verified with a passport can buy $10,000 worth, accounts verified with 2 forms of ID can buy $50,000 worth and accounts with Level 3 verification and above have no limits. This site supports all countries worldwide.

European based exchange:

BitPanda - If you live in Europe this is the best option hands down, you can buy and sell Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin and Dash instantly and Gold verification only takes about 10 minutes - this exchange is only available for European customers at the moment but it is a really excellent exchange.

Gold verification allows you to buy 10,000 Euros (£9,245) worth of cryptocurrency a day and sell up to 15,000 Euros (£13,860) worth which will come in handy when you need to cash out.

So as you can see, Coinbase is not the only option, it is only the most well known but there are other, long established exchanges out there that allow people to purchase cryptocurrencies with cash.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
If everyone mined cryptocurrencies, poverty would be solved. You can mine a new GPUs worth of money in about two months. Use that money to buy another GPU and you double your income. Every two months you'd double your income again and eventually you'd be mining a million dollars worth of crypto a year and you'd be rich. If everyone did this, no one would have to work and everyone would live a life of luxury.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

your solution won't work to solve poverty because poor people have too small brains to understand the benefits of exponential growth

only a tiny few will be enlightened enough to grasp the fruit

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Coinbase is not your only option if you want to legitimately buy Bitcoin, Ethereum or Litecoin, at the moment it is the most well known due to their marketing efforts, however that does not mean that other options are not available.

Below are some of the other well known sites that allow you to purchase Bitcoin, Ethereum and Litecoin.

Global Exchanges:

CEX - You can buy Bitcoin and Ethereum instantly. Supports all countries worldwide and verification is fast and simple.

You can also buy and sell up to 10 Bitcoins or 200 Ethereum per order and the fees are lower than most of the other exchanges I have tried.

Verified accounts can deposit/withdraw up to $10,000 worth per day, or up to $100,000 per month via both credit card and bank transfer, at higher verification levels all limits are removed.

At one point they had to temporarily stop user registrations due to the rapid influx of new users.

Coinmama - This is a good site to buy Bitcoins and Ethereum instantly with a debit or credit card.

Accounts verified with a passport can buy $10,000 worth, accounts verified with 2 forms of ID can buy $50,000 worth and accounts with Level 3 verification and above have no limits. This site supports all countries worldwide.

European based exchange:

BitPanda - If you live in Europe this is the best option hands down, you can buy and sell Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin and Dash instantly and Gold verification only takes about 10 minutes - this exchange is only available for European customers at the moment but it is a really excellent exchange.

Gold verification allows you to buy 10,000 Euros (£9,245) worth of cryptocurrency a day and sell up to 15,000 Euros (£13,860) worth which will come in handy when you need to cash out.

So as you can see, Coinbase is not the only option, it is only the most well known but there are other, long established exchanges out there that allow people to purchase cryptocurrencies with cash.

whoa what just happen

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

jonathan posted:

Yeah he was part of efnet #quake in the mid 90's and we all played quake.

Yes, good times.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Seymour Butts posted:

Lots of day traders in all fields get caught by how well they seem to be able to predict the market and gradually make gains. Problem is that it only takes a handful of times when it goes in the opposite direction to what you expect and suddenly you are in the red.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 15, 2018

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Ccs posted:

But if they're making capital gains from bitcoin or stocks wouldn't that still be taxed at the normal US rate since the money is made on the US stock market?

Or by living in Puerto Rico does that count as Puerto Rico sourced income?

Anyway if you're rich, living on an island with failing infrastructure like Puerto Rico to avoid taxes doesn't seem worth it.
from what i've read, capital gains can be excluded as long as you're a bona fide resident of PR. you have to live there 183 days of the year

but honestly i think the only way to get the right answer on this is to consult a tax professional who handles PR taxes, which i definitely am not

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Senor Tron posted:

Lots of day traders in all fields get caught by how well they seem to be able to predict the market and gradually make gains. Problem is that it only takes a handful of times when it goes in the opposite direction to what you expect and suddenly you are in the red.
Everyone's a 200 IQ genius in a bull market.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

Finally a new industry to embrace bitcoin: collections

Get a judgement saying "the bitcoins belonging to private key x in transaction y are the officially the property of bank y, you must surrender that exact amount of bitcoins or the listed bitcoins will be regarded as stolen property" then just follow the transactions forever still someone in us jurisdiction gains control or cashes out

That wouldn't work would it? You don't own a particular bitcoin, rather it is the number you own that is recorded.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Global Exchanges:

European based exchange:

Whoa what just happen

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

quote:

BEWARE LARGE CRYPTO SELLERS: Coinbase (GDAX) is holding $1.14 million of my money hostage, and now I'm going to get tax penalties because of it.

In 2014 I was a broke rear end game developer. I bought a few Ethereum when it ICO'd (for 29 cents each). I held on to it since then, until December 2017. After seeing so much scammy scummy shitcoin peddling, I decided it was time to cash out. So I cashed it out on GDAX (Coinbase) in late December 2017. 1500 coins total for $1.14 million (for $680-800 each). I regret it now of course (it's $1300+ each?), but I regret it even more considering this: http://www.fool.com/answers/faq/estimated-tax-payments/

If you've made sizeable enough gains, you need to pay quarterly tax payments in the U.S.

I now owe about $400k between the IRS and California. Unfortunately on GDAX, I've had a withdrawal limit of $10,000 since I sold my coins this entire time, despite several attempts to request a higher limit and to contact them (including a CFPB complaint that I made last week). I can't withdraw my money fast enough to pay my taxes.

I have to make this payment by tomorrow or I'm going to be penalized God knows how much on this amount of money. It's already too late because bank money transfers are still in the stone age and will probably take longer than a day or two.

I can't get the money out and I'm going to be unable to pay my taxes on time. As far as I can tell there was no way for me to pay taxes on this. I was expecting to use the cash from the sale to pay for the taxes on the sale but that is impossible if I don't have access to the cash for the sale.

Coinbase even tells you "We remind all our customers, both US and international, that you have a responsibility to self-report and pay taxes on all taxable gains." - It would help a lot if you mention how you might not let us have access to those gains.

Needless to say I'm extremely stressed out and worried now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/7qgx5o/beware_large_crypto_sellers_coinbase_gdax_is/

lmao

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
That guy is an idiot. The weekly withdrawal limit is 100K, for one.
And the penalty is 3-4% per year. If he owes $400K taxes, the penalty would be around $12K/year. Compounded daily, that is $35/day.

He also has the money to afford a tax lawyer.
He could also contact the IRS to work things out with them
He could wire the money out to a bank account, no withdrawal limit on that
He could GDAX the cash back into Bitcoin, send it to another exchange and withdraw it.

Like I don't get how you could receive a $1.12 million windfall and be this clueless about handling basic things in life.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Seymour Butts posted:

Remind him that any time a major move in currency price happens, the exchanges stop trading to prevent people doing just that.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Mr.PayDay posted:

LOL what, Athene was talking about Bitcoin 4 years ago https://youtu.be/iU8ie9QEzQk

(He is a former WoW and Hearthstone Streamer and Troll, just watch his grab the 10K video where he offered Forsen money up to 10k Dollar for testing his gaming for good stream tools and ended donating this to Sodapoppin or his early YT stuff where he got millions of clicks by monetizing his girlfriends (Tania) DD boobs via clickbait and her décolleté; he later explained how the team „exploited“ YouTube algorithms and Viewers.
He is wacky and a diva but not dumb and likes to be underestimated )

4 years later, he launched Purpose, an altruistic crypto currency:

„Purpose is a token built on the ERC-20 Token Standard that allows people to contribute to its altruistic objectives by holding it. Its primary feature is its ability to generate a second token called DUBI (Decentralized Universal Basic Income) that is supported by a large community of activists as well as an independent group of volunteer developers who work together towards increasing DUBI’s value, in preparation for eventually gradually distributing it among the world’s population. Distribution is to be facilitated on-chain with an allowance contract that grants each individual DUBI at a rate that can be set to equal that of the DUBI output of 1 to 100 Purpose, a process that also incorporates optional automated taxation for government compliance.

Purpose is only distributed for donations not towards its creator but towards charity and/or the above-mentioned volunteers who are collaborating on initiatives that support Purpose. It will also be available on exchanges when the tokens are claimable, which should be in the first quarter of 2018. In the meantime, Purpose continues to be reserved at Athene’s discretion for donations directly towards, for example, Save the Children on PRPS.io.

[...]
Athene is a well-known philanthropist who started the idea of Purpose to enable a new form of decentralized altruism that uses a Decentralized Universal Basic Income utility token to combat poverty and counteract the imminent global repercussions of industries’ increasing reliance on automation and AI.
Altruism and philanthropy are the foundation of Purpose and are the driving forces behind the community that supports it. As a result, holding Purpose and/or developing & supporting initiatives and software around it is of primary interest to its current owners.

In contrast to more feature-rich cryptocurrencies, Purpose’ functionality is rudimentary and its value primarily originates from its ideological objective and the future intrinsic value of Purpose integrated software. Purpose and its basic features are built on the idea of its supporters ‘hodling’ it, with the intent of contributing to its value and, by extension, its ability to do good. Consequently, supply is limited, which may maintain a high demand and steadily raise the value of Purpose. Furthermore, there are several simple added incentives for holding Purpose to ensure its ripple effect.

Beyond the altruistic driving force of its community that is committed to increasing its value, Purpose’s ‘HODL’ mechanism allows users to lock the token away with a smart contract for up to 12 months and instantly receive a 4% return in the form of a second token, called DUBI.
DUBI can be used in applications built by the development team with likely minimum equal value as Purpose. Moreover, it may be used to give its holders recognition and access within the community to features such as private message boards. Since technological functionality itself is rarely what drives the economy of cryptocurrencies on exchanges, Purpose incorporates specific elements and strategies that allow it to potentially respond exceptionally to scenarios wherein its community engages in trading and other independent initiatives that give Purpose and DUBI value. Exchange dynamics are often determined by fear, whether FOMO (fear of missing out) or FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt). Purpose’s ‘HODL’ feature makes it easy to overcome the latter while low supply and actively maintained marketing livestreams that mobilize its community may fuel FOMO. Purpose’s HODL culture is largely code-based rather than solely reliant on trust. Amount in circulation and amount of Purpose being ‘hodl’d’ can be tracked and seen on PRPS.io.“

More in the whitepaper.

https://www.prps.io
https://www.prps.io/Purpose.pdf
https://youtu.be/5M4hP8H1O24

Let’s see how a famous internet Troll (who on contrast does a lot for charity, seriously, he raised multi millions for charity https://youtu.be/-nMJdXJAHPA) is handling crypto currency.

I find this interesting so far and it fits in the Bitcoin thread because this Purpose project deconstructs the crypto currency in an Athene style way. At least he is trying to build something good.
(Edit: it is Athene after all so you never know if he is trolling; „if you want to invest into a scam, at least chose the right one“: he wrote. His charity work was ever honest, tho, so there is that.)
You can be sure, some trolling will be part of it:
https://youtu.be/wS9yN9YuDBg

just lol if anybody read this mountain of words

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Actually I'd remind him they charge a 0.30% Taker fee. So if you called Bitcoin zero sum, that 0.3% means the odds are always stacked against you.
And that if you are right on your predictions 80% of the time, the 20% you are wrong can still lead you into the red
Also the exchanges aren't regulated and are filled with bots that manipulate the order books in many fun and interesting ways.

And what he wants to do has existed for many years, it is kind of why daytrading Forex on margin was the big joke before Bitcoin came along.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

pepito sanchez fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 15, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Liquid Communism posted:

Remind him that any time a major move in currency price happens, the exchanges stop trading to prevent people doing just that.
Ridiculous. No cryptocurrency exchange would ever engage in things like price manipulation or mysteriously presenting obstacles to behaviors that would make the number go down.

Starting............... now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Alpha Mayo posted:

Like I don't get how you could receive a $1.12 million windfall and be this clueless about handling basic things in life.

It happens all the time to lottery winners