Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

really queer Christmas posted:

I just got this in the humble monthly and man I’ve got so many little problems with this game, though looking over the last few pages they’re pretty common.

But my biggest issue is how goddamn stupid and infuriating the AI is.

This person just finished a war with me because...

And they won’t declare friendship with me (as will anyone else) because...

Also, the Vikings got mad at me for having troops on the border (because they sent their whole army to my borders). They then declared war on me and got mad at me for not moving my troops from the border.

I had a lot of fun playing with friends but Jesus single player just feels frustrating.

Note that those numbers aren't their current relationship score with you, but the current modifiers to it, if I recall correctly. So their relationship with you will be going up, but that doesn't necessarily mean they like you yet. Edit: That is to say, they're how much your score with them will increase/decrease each turn, in case I phrased that poorly.

Not to say that the AI isn't dumb and irrational. Civ AI's never been good, and VI has some issues to work out still from what I understand. I admittedly don't have a lot of experience with it personally since I play multiplayer almost exclusively, which is a lot more fun for me in both Civ V and VI.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The numbers being modifiers make more sense. I did finally get that friendship, but it still made no sense that I got surprise war declared on me after being friendly for like 200 turns.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, the AI's priority for war declarations is apparently screwy. In the games with AI that I've played, I generally haven't had trouble keeping them friendly unless I was warmongering, but a few times I was still targeted for a joint war because the AI was really gung ho about those for a while. (And maybe still is? I'm not sure.)

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

The other problem is it's pretty opportunistic with regard to military score and thinks it should kill you because it has several times your army strength. But a couple ranged units properly screened and microd by a human are worth way more than that

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
several times? no, even a friendly AI will arbitrarily decide at a certain point that it wants to attack you regardless of difference in army strength. it'll go through the steps of building up an attack force and when it feels ready, it'll start parking praetorians on your borders next to your phalanxes... of m-1 abrams tanks... and they'll be declaring war in a few turns regardless of army disparity and diplomacy.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

What is the reason the game doesn't just show the total relation score?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

John F Bennett posted:

Because it probably isn't a sane number and doing that would demonstrate how utterly broken everything about the AI is.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Because it probably isn't a sane number and doing that would demonstrate how utterly broken everything about the AI is.

true diplomacy score: -712443

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
If I were being charitable, I'd say they hide the true diplo score because that would give the AI away when they're trying their "i'm being friendly but i secretly hate you so i'm going to backstab you" gambit.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

John F Bennett posted:

It's because they want you add the score up yourself to simulate actually going over each of the modifier issues with that leader as if you were in an actual meeting with them to encourage immersion.

It's because the UI is poo poo.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

If I were being charitable, I'd say they hide the true diplo score because that would give the AI away when they're trying their "i'm being friendly but i secretly hate you so i'm going to backstab you" gambit.

That has to be it, really. I am sure there are some players who think that AI should have 100% transparency, and also some players who would enjoy that numbers minigame if it were 100% transparent. I prefer surprise wars to be a surprise, but I don't think it would affect my enjoyment of the game if the actual relationship score were visible.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

homullus posted:

That has to be it, really. I am sure there are some players who think that AI should have 100% transparency, and also some players who would enjoy that numbers minigame if it were 100% transparent. I prefer surprise wars to be a surprise, but I don't think it would affect my enjoyment of the game if the actual relationship score were visible.

well then make it 99% transparent, and make the invisible modifiers realistic instead of :psyduck:. civ 4 had hidden values based on leader disposition, but they didn't go more than 4 in either direction. civ 5 also kind of had this where montezuma and i think harald bluetooth were specifically scripted to offer DoF with you if your army score was lower than theirs, with the goal of getting you to leave your borders undefended so they can attack you.

if civ 6 showed true totals--have you looked at the diplo-per-turn when you're at war? it's like "WE'RE AT WAR -256" and that doesn't get cleared once you make peace

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

There's also something called a "mayhem counter" which basically makes the AI act more illogically if nothing is happening in the game (no war) for a long time, apparently. It was described a while back, and it doesn't always kick in, but it could explain some weird things that happen.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think part of the disconnect is that if the AI feels it has a good enough reason to go to war, it can decide to go to war regardless of its attitude. Which feels bad because you can get targeted by someone with a million positive modifiers if they really want to.

It's tricky, because a lot of players want the AI to be more challenging, and making good relations a guarantee against attack undermines the AI's ability to pose a threat.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, no matter what they do with the AI, you'll always have people complaining that it doesn't behave "realistically", that it doesn't play to win, or both. That's a balance that's not easy to strike in something like Civ, where some people want a civ-building role-playing game basically and others play it competitively or as a game first. The arguments over whether the AI should attack you just for being close to a victory condition or not is a good example of that.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
The AI shouldn't attack me when I have a huge army and have eaten three other AIs. It should sit there cowering in fear until I get around to attacking it, ideally it should also bribe me with goodies in the meantime.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Byzantine posted:

The AI shouldn't attack me when I have a huge army and have eaten three other AIs. It should sit there cowering in fear until I get around to attacking it, ideally it should also bribe me with goodies in the meantime.

Corollary from my latest Beyond Earth game: if I can delete an AI's entire military in two turns after they declare war on me, they shouldn't have declared war on me.

I would have been happy to leave the Americans alone, but no, Fielding just had to take it personally that the PAC was returning to Earth to liberate it.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The problem with the AI is that there is no baseline that the player can see. A friendly AI attacking you, or a weak AI attacking you is fine, otherwise every interaction with the AI would be predictable.

But the issue is that the player cannot form any kind of rules or idea about how the AI works, and that makes diplomacy and how the player interacts with the AI exactly the same every time because the AI appears to be so random that the player's only option to treat the AI as a rabid dog.

I can't even trade a luxury for a luxury with an AI across the world, on another continent. I have no idea how the AI values anything, so I have no idea how to interact with it.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The Human Crouton posted:

The problem with the AI is that there is no baseline that the player can see. A friendly AI attacking you, or a weak AI attacking you is fine, otherwise every interaction with the AI would be predictable.

But the issue is that the player cannot form any kind of rules or idea about how the AI works, and that makes diplomacy and how the player interacts with the AI exactly the same every time because the AI appears to be so random that the player's only option to treat the AI as a rabid dog.

I can't even trade a luxury for a luxury with an AI across the world, on another continent. I have no idea how the AI values anything, so I have no idea how to interact with it.

I think this is the key, really. Some degree of randomness is good, but in general it feels a lot better if the player knows when the AI is going to attack, or at least is able to deduce it based on the information the game provides them. Even something as simple as Civ IV's diplomacy menu "We have enough on our hands right now" signaling a build-up of forces.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I tried to really build out religion and see how the game went. I'm stymied by two other civs who are dominating their homeland with their own religions, and I have no idea how religious victories are possible.

I converted two neighbors to my religion and achieved my first ever civ VI alliance. But I included a religious power to buy troops with faith so instead of generating apostles and spreading my religion my allies are buying bigger armies.

Then my allies stole all my money with three successive siphons for something like -300 gpt for 15 turns. I've spent so much production time on faith I'm behind in culture and science and that faith is getting me nowhere.

Faith sucks, religions victories are a joke, 0/10 would not recommend.

Sounds realistic though. :D

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

A great deal of the issues with Civ, in all its incarnations, would be solved by allowing multiple winners. Basically, award each victory condition separately, and then the overall winner is whoever has the most individual victories. That way you avoid the problem with “winner takes is all”, where at some point in the game, if you’re not winning, you basically have to go all in into war because there no point doing anything else.

This would also help diplomacy greatly because you’d no longer have the “should the AI declare war to compete?” dilemma. Some AIs could stay focused on peaceful win conditions only and hope to gather several of them.

(The actual win conditions would have to be redesigned but that’s obvious.)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

markus_cz posted:

Wasn't that what was done with the Smoky Skies mod for Civ 5? It was a best of 5 competition for overall winner; Most tech, most policies, biggest army, that sort of thing.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

markus_cz posted:

A great deal of the issues with Civ, in all its incarnations, would be solved by allowing multiple winners. Basically, award each victory condition separately, and then the overall winner is whoever has the most individual victories. That way you avoid the problem with “winner takes is all”, where at some point in the game, if you’re not winning, you basically have to go all in into war because there no point doing anything else.

This would also help diplomacy greatly because you’d no longer have the “should the AI declare war to compete?” dilemma. Some AIs could stay focused on peaceful win conditions only and hope to gather several of them.

I've been thinking similarly. Add more win conditions, but you have to win two of them to actually win, and one ally can win with you.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

markus_cz posted:

I disagree with this completely. Civ is perfect as a cut-throat, one-winner take all strategy game. That is part of the heart and soul of Civ in my eyes.

For something else, go to one of Paradox's game. But keep Civ one winner.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The real victory is the friends we crushed along the way.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

civ needs to actually commit to being either a competitive or a sandbox game imo. either would be neat but it needs to pick one and stick to it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Human Crouton posted:

I've been thinking similarly. Add more win conditions, but you have to win two of them to actually win, and one ally can win with you.

permanent alliance life

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Endless Legend has an allied victory condition, works well. The actual winner is explicitly the winner of the game, but any allies they have get a nice little "You also did well and prospered, even if it ultimately wasn't your vision that shaped the world."

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know what they're planning victory-wise, but Rise and Fall is apparently expanding the alliance system quite a bit. Something mentioned "alliance points" or whatever that are earned over time, as well as multiple types of alliance, like cultural alliances where your cities and population don't lower each other's loyalty. I'm curious what they're planning with that. Here's what they had to say on the matter:

quote:

Alliances within Civilization VI already offered a lot, but this expansion adds more nuance. Alliances in the base game often boiled down to a sort of guarantee that the other player would not interfere with your strategy by attacking you, but only rarely did it offer tangible benefits. So for Civilization VI: Rise and Fall we added more tangible incentives to Alliances. We’re encouraging players to band together for mutual benefit rather than merely non-interference. We’re also giving players more active and flavorful choices to make. Alliances now have a type – Research, Military, Economic, Cultural, or Religious – that determines their benefits. Moreover, as the Alliance continues, the Alliance itself levels up and unlocks more powerful bonuses. This encourages players to think in the long term and to invest in diplomacy.

Let me give you an example of how an Alliance can evolve over time, specifically a Research Alliance. At Level 1, both allies receive Science bonuses to their Trade Routes. But as the Alliance develops, powerful and unique effects come into play. At Level 2, both allies still receive their Science bonuses, but also receive 1 Tech Boost at a regular interval. Level 3 is all of the above, plus bonus Science when researching the same Technology, or a Technology your ally had already researched. These alliances are powerful enough that players are restricted to just one Alliance of each type at a time. But you and your Alliance partner can agree to change the type of your Alliance later in the game.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

It means that instead of one alliance type that the AI will never accept, there will now be 5 types of alliances that the AI will never accept.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

homullus posted:

The real victory is the friends we crushed along the way.

Agreed. The real victory was smashing my friend so hard my allied city state conquered (and then razed) his city.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

markus_cz posted:

I'm not sure this would work as intended - if you're way behind on getting any of the "peaceful" victories, then it would still be worth it to go to war (like you say, there'd be no point doing anything else) and curb-stomp everyone until there are no competitors left, ensuring victory.

I take your point about redesigning the victory system but I can't see how this one would be avoided, unless total domination disqualified the player. Even then, the player could curb-stomp everyone until each competitor is a tiny nub, too big to count towards their disqualification but too small to actually compete for the peaceful victories.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

StashAugustine posted:

civ needs to actually commit to being either a competitive or a sandbox game imo. either would be neat but it needs to pick one and stick to it

Civ as a sandbox empire builder is pretty poo poo. I think the real dichotomy is whether Civ wants to be a finely tuned virtual board game with historical theming or a fleshed out alternate history simulator. Unfortunately these often stand at odds with one another.

So the Facebook page just posted a teaser about upcoming features that featured a guy with a very ‘I’m going to colonize the poo poo out of you’ look on his face. New leader or maybe the governor? Would post image but imgur doesn’t like my phone.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's one of the governors.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's Magnus, one of the governors, yeah. His bonuses mostly involve production and resources, though he is, in fact, good at helping you colonize the poo poo out of things too.

Anyway, here's the tweet:

https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/952918328237961216

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Will there be patch notes published alongside the new features? I guess not?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
If you are dumb and want to pre-order Rise and fall, GMG has a voucher for 25% off (BLUE25).

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Darkrenown posted:

If you are dumb and want to pre-order Rise and fall, GMG has a voucher for 25% off (BLUE25).

Maybe after they go over the governor system again tomorrow, and nothing else, I'll be excited enough to pre-purchase.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm not sure if I'll even post-purchase this one to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i'm gonna wait at least a month