Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Same. Just imagining the neat rows of cars, all staying right in the middle of their lanes with millimeter precision, bristling with and collision sensors and behaving with total predictability makes me wet.
I don't have as much faith in self-driving cars as you do. I see them all over Pittsburgh and they're generally predictable, but something in my lizard brain is skittish around them and the idea of a bunch of them together. They also relinquish control to the operator if they encounter a situation they can't handle (at least in this stage), and motorcycles lanesplitting around feels like one such situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's simple: is a self driving car a better driver than most people most of the time? Yes.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Fifty Three posted:

I don't have as much faith in self-driving cars as you do.

Well, I was thinking of the ideal of self-driving cars. The glory of the unencumbered motofuture of which we all dream.

Slavvy posted:

It's simple: is a self driving car a better driver than most people most of the time? Yes.

Hey have you ever been to Queenstown m8
it looks pretty

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have, it's great if you're a rich tourist. Ditto Rotorua.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

pokie posted:

Some rear end in a top hat on my morning commute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_FlSmFgT2Q

Not a huge deal, but, still... Some people find new ways to surprise me.

Something about the 350/370z and G35/37 seems to attract a certain type of douche. Anecdotal, I freely admit.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As a g35 owner and lifelong douche, I concur.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

As a g35 owner and lifelong douche, I concur.

Ah, but is a self-aware douche still a douche? A question for the ages.

I have a ZX14R, so judgements are something I deal with, too. (Especially from traffic cops.)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Flint Ironstag posted:

Something about the 350/370z and G35/37 seems to attract a certain type of douche. Anecdotal, I freely admit.

They attract the people who are too poor to buy a bmw/Audi or too smart to finance one but are still wanton dickheads.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

They attract the people who are too poor to buy a bmw/Audi or too smart to finance one but are still wanton dickheads.

In Britain at least they seem to be the exclusive domain of the mid-life crisis. I mean I know this is the case with most vaguely sporty cars but I've literally never seen a man younger than 35, or a woman of any age, driving one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Vehicle demographics across the world will never stop being fascinating to me, cause here they're always driven by under 40's who want the drug dealer look*, usually with expensive rims and lowered suspension.

*Also a thing here, pretending to be vaguely criminal in some way or having the gangster lifestyle is something people specifically aim for to the extent that whenever the police release a 'most stolen vehicles' list those cars are guaranteed to go up in value for the cachet alone.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In Britain at least they seem to be the exclusive domain of the mid-life crisis. I mean I know this is the case with most vaguely sporty cars but I've literally never seen a man younger than 35, or a woman of any age, driving one.

The only men I knew in the UK with one were solidly in their late 40s and one could easily have 50+. Nice guys though.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Fwiw the only Z driver I knew personally was my house mate in grad school, who was an ex-navy guy getting a stats PhD.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Tyro posted:

Hey Jim Silly-balls, thanks for the recommendation on the Tusk hand muffs. I wish they were an inch or two longer, the right one is tightened down on my brake fluid reservoir, but I tried them out for about an hour today. Mostly 40-60mph, temp was in the low 30s, just wearing my regular riding gloves. My fingertips didn't start to get cold until right around the end of the ride. I don't usually ride when it's below freezing so I'm really happy with how they did for the price.

I also tossed a pair into my recent Amazon order, have been meaning to get a pair and try them for years.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Went out to the shop to get new tires yesterday and the hand muffs were a lot less effective. It was only a few degrees colder (28-29) but 15-20mph winds, which I think was the problem. I couldn't get them cranked down on the handlebars tight enough to get them airtight.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I don't see how anyone can stand those things. Every time you pull your hand out, you run the risk of not being able to get it back in in time. Plus, it just seems like your hand is trapped in a cold cave instead of a cold outside. Mine have sat unused for years.

I keep meaning to cut mine down so they are flush with the bars, like a fully surround bark buster that doesnt extend up the arm and has a wide opening. That might help.

FWIW, riding to school yesterday in blustery 29F weather left my fingers numb even inside of good heated gloves. So I'm rethinking my stance on these bar mitts.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They don’t provide any warmth really, they are about keeping you isolated from cold wind.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
True, but it seemed like they didn't help, even there. Anyway, all this talk got me to go out and make the moose mitt shorties I've wanted to for ages. They are easy to get in and out of, but my heated gloves seemed like they did a lot better job keeping my hands warm. For a short bit there they were almost too toasty, which is a first. Granted, it was only 37 out.

I also modified my replacement chinese lip so that it wouldn't stress fracture (like the last one!), and finally got my parabellum windscreen set up going. I can ride visor up at 70mph, which is great, but I get a jet of cold air on my arms, which is not great. Keeping it though.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
To be clear mine substantially cut down on the wind from riding, but the strong cross wind was leaking into them and reducing their effectiveness. They definitely help and I think they're great for what I do in temps in the 30s. I don't have heated gloves/grips or even winter riding gloves, if I did I imagine they would be effective for much longer rides at that temp or at lower temps.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I rode home from work in 17F degree weather yesterday with bar mitts... coldest part of my body was my face. A must for winter riding. (That, or the aforementioned heated gloves.)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

True, but it seemed like they didn't help, even there. Anyway, all this talk got me to go out and make the moose mitt shorties I've wanted to for ages. They are easy to get in and out of, but my heated gloves seemed like they did a lot better job keeping my hands warm. For a short bit there they were almost too toasty, which is a first. Granted, it was only 37 out.

I also modified my replacement chinese lip so that it wouldn't stress fracture (like the last one!), and finally got my parabellum windscreen set up going. I can ride visor up at 70mph, which is great, but I get a jet of cold air on my arms, which is not great. Keeping it though.

I've never stuck my frozen hands in any soothing sacks so I don't have anything to say about this, I'm just letting you know your current bike continues to be better than your last bike.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's such a good biek :allears:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

If you've got a way to buy them, Tucano Urbano (http://www.tucanourbano.com/eu/motorcycle-scooter-leg-covers-hand-covers/handgrip-covers.html) seemed to be the go-to brand for couriers in the UK for hand grip mitts. They looked very warm.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I've been riding with my heated gear for a week now, and it's great.

Average morning temp is ~17-20°F, average evening temp is 40°F. I don't turn the gear on in the morning for about five minutes, then turn it off ten minutes later. On a 40-minute commute, the stuff just gets TOO WARM.

It turns out that just being windproof and insulating goes a very, very long way.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I've just now discovered that angled tyre valves are a thing that exist and I demand to know why they're not stock on everything. Not needing to squeeze my hand past the brake discs to seat the compressor nozzle seems like it would be very convenient!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
When I got new tars on my current bike I gave them a set of angled valves to install for me. It's the best thing I've ever done (don't tell my kids).

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
My Multistrada had one 90deg. valve stem from the factory on the front wheel, but a standard one on the rear (why? Italy). I replaced them both with a new set of 90 degree stems when I changed the tires.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

My Multistrada had one 90deg. valve stem from the factory on the front wheel, but a standard one on the rear (why? Italy). I replaced them both with a new set of 90 degree stems when I changed the tires.

You buy it used? My multi had both wheels with angled stems. Sounds more like a PO thing than an Italy thing.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

You buy it used? My multi had both wheels with angled stems. Sounds more like a PO thing than an Italy thing.

I did, but from the original owner and he'd never changed the tires; only had 3k miles on it. I thought it was a little weird too.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You all knew!? Why was I not informed :argh:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

You all knew!? Why was I not informed :argh:

:smugducati:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hey if we're whingeing about obvious poo poo that isn't factory for bullshit accounting reasons: all sportbikes should come with stompgrips or something of that nature so you can actually use the loving things without having to wear leather.

All bikes should have a battery charger plug of some sort, especially the ultra-bullshit designs that make the battery totally inaccessible (ducati :argh:).

All bikes should have adjustable brake/clutch levers in the kawasaki style of having a little rotating clickwheel.

All bikes should have adjustable foot pegs so you can buy the model of your dreams without having to lose/gain a few inches in your shins.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Hey if we're whingeing about obvious poo poo that isn't factory for bullshit accounting reasons: all sportbikes should come with stompgrips or something of that nature so you can actually use the loving things without having to wear leather.

Better solution. All clothes should be leather.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

All bikes should have adjustable foot pegs so you can buy the model of your dreams without having to lose/gain a few inches in your shins.

Amen

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Slavvy posted:

All bikes should have a battery charger plug of some sort, especially the ultra-bullshit designs that make the battery totally inaccessible (ducati :argh:).

Surprisingly my MV came with a trickle charger and a stock port for it. It's battery takes about 40 minutes to access (once you know what you are doing).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

pokie posted:

Surprisingly my MV came with a trickle charger and a stock port for it. It's battery takes about 40 minutes to access (once you know what you are doing).

Why out of everyone out there did the most inept factory of all decide to do this?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Why out of everyone out there did the most inept factory of all decide to do this?

Post-15 Ducatis all have a standardised charging port under the seat (and a standard part you can plug into it to give you a USB charger).

e: It's apparently an industry-standard port type too rather than some unique snowflake part only available halfway up an Alp on three weekends a year

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Chances are MV didn't do it, the dealer did.

I have never purchased a new bike off the dealer floor, but I've bought a couple second-hand that had an SAE plug installed for a trickle charger that the PO said was installed by a dealer.

If MV is included a trickle charger with their bikes, that's pretty cool.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slavvy posted:

all sportbikes should come with stompgrips or something of that nature so you can actually use the loving things without having to wear leather.

If you wear short enough shorts, your skin sticks pretty well.

(I agree that they should come pre-installed)

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Jazzzzz posted:

Chances are MV didn't do it, the dealer did.

That's certainly a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm officially the dumbest mofo to ever own a bike. After killing my battery multiple times last year by leaving the key in the on position, I finally made a habit of making sure the key is always out and in my house. I got home from vacation last Saturday and was super jet lagged / tired, was moving the bike in my garage and dropped it (only the 2nd time I've ever dropped the bike), no damage so everything is great. I didn't realize dropping it knocked the key from locked to parked, so I just killed another bike battery. I think I bought three last year (one from old age, two from being stupid), so that gets me to four batteries in 12 months.