Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit

drilldo squirt posted:

Anyone else thinking about butts? I'm thinking about butts right now.

I farted from this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Whatever kind of butts you like, buddy.

----------------

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
i clap my buttcheeks n fly away

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

i clap my buttcheeks n fly away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW8uGXlyF9U

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

drilldo squirt posted:

Whatever kind of butts you like, buddy.

i liek the 1z that liek me :allears:

Twenty Four

butts

drilldo squirt

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i liek the 1z that liek me :allears:

Nice.

----------------

punchymcpunch

yes

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
The OKC thumbnail image that represents "sexual compatibility" is a cartoon hand holding a boob, a dick, a condom, and a dildo

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

cda

by Hand Knit

blaise rascal posted:

The OKC thumbnail image that represents "sexual compatibility" is a cartoon hand holding a boob, a dick, a condom, and a dildo

Lol

cda

by Hand Knit
You cannot be compatible with a vagina, only a boob.

cda

by Hand Knit
I don't know anything about online dating. How come it doesn't tell you how sexually compatible you are? One or both of you didn't answer the questions?

alnilam

blaise rascal posted:

nothing represents my lifestyle better than a dumbell weighted by a basketball and a... jug?

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle

alnilam posted:

nothing represents my lifestyle better than a dumbell weighted by a basketball and a... jug?

I took it to be a beer bottle representing the fundamental dichotomy between rectangular sports and drunkenness.

blaise rascal

cda posted:

I don't know anything about online dating. How come it doesn't tell you how sexually compatible you are? One or both of you didn't answer the questions?
Yes. You can answer a basically unending string of questions about a variety of topics, but I only answered the minimum necessary to create an account. Mostly because I don't think comparing answers to questions like "would you ever sleep with someone on a first date?" or "do you believe in God?" actually does a good job of determining romantic compatibility.

Like, to borrow an example from game designer Mark Rosewater, suppose I asked you to make a list of all the things you look for in a date. You would probably mention what religion the person should have, or what kind of hobbies, or physical characteristics, and so on; but if you meet a person who checks off all the checkboxes, and there isn't a spark of romantic attraction, then none of that stuff matters. There needs to be passion. You can't determine whether passion exists by comparing answers to questions. So I'd rather spend my time writing an interesting profile bio, which probably does not also work great, but at least I am using my own words.

Macnult

blaise rascal posted:

Yes. You can answer a basically unending string of questions about a variety of topics, but I only answered the minimum necessary to create an account. Mostly because I don't think comparing answers to questions like "would you ever sleep with someone on a first date?" or "do you believe in God?" actually does a good job of determining romantic compatibility.

remember this post when a good date turns sour because of an unexpected dealbreaker

alnilam

blaise rascal posted:

Like, to borrow an example from game designer Mark Rosewater, suppose I asked you to make a list of all the things you look for in a date. You would probably mention what religion the person should have, or what kind of hobbies, or physical characteristics, and so on; but if you meet a person who checks off all the checkboxes, and there isn't a spark of romantic attraction, then none of that stuff matters. There needs to be passion. You can't determine whether passion exists by comparing answers to questions. So I'd rather spend my time writing an interesting profile bio, which probably does not also work great, but at least I am using my own words.

i recommend doing both tbh, let me give some thoughts but feel free to ignore them you can do whatever you want!

you are right that nothing can predict whether there will be a spark or not, BUT, it does help to pre screen things a little such that you're not wasting your time on dates with people you don't even get along with

i actually have a lot of appreciation for the magickal compatibility percentage thing
disclaimer i haven't used okcupid in a while but back then they gave an "overall percentage" i don't recall this 3 category breakdown thing, so everything i'm about to say refers to that overall percentage
but anyway i went on a bunch of okcupid dates, and while i didn't outright ignore profiles with a low match percentage, i did find that when i read through the written profile of someone with a low match percentage i was usually like "hmm doesn't really seem like someone i want to go on a date with tbh"
i also found that every person i went on a date with, all of whom had match % greater than 80% and usually in the 90s, was extremely cool and nice. every single one. several times there was just not really a spark but i was still really glad to have met the person and in a few cases ended up being friends with them. one of the times there was a major spark and that lady is now my waifu :3:

the percentage is based on algorithms that were trained by after-the-fact results (based on users saying whether their date ewnt well or not). it's not just as simple as "hm this person likes kinky stuff and says it's important to them, this other person doesn't like kinky stuff, probably not gonna work." yes there are obvious compatibility questions like that and that is part of it. but a lot more of it is weird stuff like...
so the okcupid founder once said, after years of running okcupid and refining that algorithm, that the single most predictive question of whether two people will like each other was "do you like horror films"
this is purely correlative, but that's the point... it's not at all obvious that two people's compatibility would depend on whether they agree about liking or disliking horror films. in fact, most people wouldn't even give a poo poo if their partner liked horror films and they disliked them, like no big deal, just go see them without me. but it just so happens, based on retrospective correlation, that the single question that had the strongest weight was this one. that certainly doesn't mean that it's 100% predictive! but it had the highest correlation value. and of course 1 question isn't 100% predictive so that's why they have all sorts of funny questions where it's not obvious what the h*ck this has to do with compatibility, and the more you answer, the better of a chance that algorithm has to match you up with people you will at the very least get along with nicely and think they're cool

and that's the point. beyond that, whether or not there's a spark is up to chance and no algorithm can predict that, but you might as well not waste time trying to ind a spark with people who you don't even really get along with

also the founder of ok cupid is a friend of a friend and according to my friend he genuinely really loves the idea of using nerdy computer math to match people up, like he did something similar for a living and thought hey why can't we apply this to dating, i think it's kinda cute and it reminds me of this professor frink moment

hurf de durf

ty manifisto

drilldo squirt

blaise rascal posted:

See if that girl with the boat will take you on the boat for a date.

----------------

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

alnilam posted:

hurf de durf

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

alnilam posted:

avocado

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit

alnilam posted:

dish soap

----------------

alnilam

lever

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit
okc asking all the right questions

----------------

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

hell same

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

Koishi Komeiji

Just wear an unwashed anime t-shirt and talk about bitcoin constantly, works for me :shrug:

blaise rascal

alnilam posted:

hurf de durf
Oh that is pretty interesting actually, and not what I was expecting. Ok you convinced me.

Can you ask your friend of a friend how he came up with the hand holding the disembodied sex organs?

Twenty Four

blaise rascal posted:

alnilam posted:

A dumbell weighted with a rectangle basketball and a barely recognizable sports squeeze water bottle I think.

So I guess if you aren't into a very active lifestyle, but also do it extremely poorly, according to the picture there is an 82% chance of dying alone.

alnilam

blaise rascal posted:

Oh that is pretty interesting actually, and not what I was expecting. Ok you convinced me.

Can you ask your friend of a friend how he came up with the hand holding the disembodied sex organs?

lol i'll try!

ty manifisto

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit

alnilam posted:

lol i'll try!

what was your 'percent' with your now wifey

----------------

alnilam

uhh i think it was like 98 lol

i should stress that bc of the indirect nature of how the questions influence the match % thing, a very high percent does not mean that you're meeting a clone of yourself

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit

alnilam posted:

i should stress that bc of the indirect nature of how the questions influence the match % thing, a very high percent does not mean that you're meeting a clone of yourself

wow highly accurate

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

alnilam posted:

I also married a 98% match. She had something about wanting to live on an island in her profile, my opening message was "how do you envision living on an island?" (Because the unrealistic "being brought mai-tais" vision of living on an island is very different from the plausible "solar panels and having to fix your own plumbing" vision.)

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit
hm wow theres someone i got a 97 with that sure would be funny if we got married about it lol lmao

----------------

TOOT BOOT

I've been married for the past 12 years but some of those okc questions I've seen here seem tricky. Like 'Are women obligated to shave their legs?' I don't think women are obligated to do anything for men but at the same time matching me with a girl that doesn't shave her body hair would be a bad fit as I don't personally find that attractive. Several other ones seemed like they could lead to ambiguous situations as well.

drilldo squirt

I'm bored byob, tell me what to do.

----------------

Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

You can put clarifications in your answers.

I met my gf by saying "Shrek is life" on okc and she is very pretty and smart and I love her.

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit

Munchables posted:

You can put clarifications in your answers.

I met my gf by saying "Shrek is life" on okc and she is very pretty and smart and I love her.

excuse me, but shrek is love

----------------

sb hermit

drilldo squirt posted:

learn an instrument

alternatively

learn a new language

cda

by Hand Knit

drilldo squirt posted:

Read a good book.

Adbot