Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Whats a good rotating wallpaper or live wallpaper app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Muzei forever.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Tapet or Google wallpapers

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Bing

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Scudworth posted:

If they're printing from the emails yes there will be pictures. It backs up the pictures to Gmail but just can't restore them to a phone.

I legit didn't know it could ended back up MMS. Good info. I've never used it to restore because, why would I, it's all backed up and searchable anyway.

cp91886
Oct 26, 2005
I'm not sure if this is possible but I'm looking for two things: something that lets me take a photo remotely via a Bluetooth device and then an app that will automatically upload that photo to Instagram, maybe a macro app? Is this feasible?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

They make Bluetooth remotes and there are smartwaches that can control the camera shutter, as for uploading to Instagram maybe tasker or ifttt or something I dunno

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I'm looking for an app that can do a custom daily vocab word per day with a widget to to put it on my homescreen (and/or AOD, lockscreen). I want to be able to supply my own database of words.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hello, friends!

Do you take too many pictures on your cellular phone? Do you long for the days of disposable cameras?

Well, you're in luck! For just $0.99, you can download Gudak Cam!

Load up the application, and you'll get a roll of film that has 24 exposures. Once you've shot all 24 photographs, you'll have to wait an hour before you can load a new roll of film (don't want to get a tummy ache or a cramp by reloading too fast, right?).

As an added bonus, you'll have to get your 24 photographs developed. This takes 3 days. Once the 3 days have passed, you'll be able to see your photographs!

Don't wait! Order now! Operators are standing by!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

Hello, friends!

Do you take too many pictures on your cellular phone? Do you long for the days of disposable cameras?

Well, you're in luck! For just $0.99, you can download Gudak Cam!

Load up the application, and you'll get a roll of film that has 24 exposures. Once you've shot all 24 photographs, you'll have to wait an hour before you can load a new roll of film (don't want to get a tummy ache or a cramp by reloading too fast, right?).

As an added bonus, you'll have to get your 24 photographs developed. This takes 3 days. Once the 3 days have passed, you'll be able to see your photographs!

Don't wait! Order now! Operators are standing by!

I would hope that after those three days are up, 8 of the pictures are ruined at random.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

LastInLine posted:

I would hope that after those three days are up, 8 of the pictures are ruined at random.

And one is printed twice and one is a pic you did not take

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

And there's always a faint image of an old lady standing in the background, but no one seems to notice her except you and your brother.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What's the best screen recording app? I'm willing to pay a few bucks. Need to record an app in action.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BonoMan posted:

What's the best screen recording app? I'm willing to pay a few bucks. Need to record an app in action.

Maybe this one? Koush usually does a good job.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

LastInLine posted:

Maybe this one? Koush usually does a good job.

Thanks I'll check that one out. I ended up using AZ No Root as a stop gap... seems to work pretty great though!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So I have a ton of music that I had downloaded way back when, and unfortunately a bunch of the songs are in weird file formats like .wma. Is there a good music player app that will let me play some of the more non-standard file formats?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So I have a ton of music that I had downloaded way back when, and unfortunately a bunch of the songs are in weird file formats like .wma. Is there a good music player app that will let me play some of the more non-standard file formats?

The go-to third party music player is usually Poweramp but honestly maybe what you should be thinking about is some format conversion software? I'm going to out on a limb and say that it's not going to get easier as time goes on to find the support you're needing and I'm guessing the tracks themselves are of sufficient value and rarity that it's worth it to you to preserve your copy, otherwise they'd be available on streaming services and you wouldn't be concerned with playing back the files.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

LastInLine posted:

The go-to third party music player is usually Poweramp but honestly maybe what you should be thinking about is some format conversion software? I'm going to out on a limb and say that it's not going to get easier as time goes on to find the support you're needing and I'm guessing the tracks themselves are of sufficient value and rarity that it's worth it to you to preserve your copy, otherwise they'd be available on streaming services and you wouldn't be concerned with playing back the files.

Yeah, I was just being lazy. I'll try to find something to convert them. Thanks!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Do the WMAs still play in Windows Media Player for you? Some of them might drmed files tied to dead services, and won't play anymore on anything unless you can manage to break the DRM.

VLC and PowerAmp natively support unprotected WMA files. They also tend to support much of the others, no conversion needed.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Before I forsook my music collection and just started using GPM for everything (I miss my old songs and am too lazy to bother uploading / adding to library so I just listen to new stuff which mostly sucks, especially if you’re into hip-hop), I was using MediaHuman Audio Converter. You could just choose your conversion settings and drag / drop everything into it.

I was then using MediaMonkey to attach album covers because I was insane.

The problem is, recently, I saw a different MediaHuman app was always running an onscreen video capturing software so I uninstalled all associated apps.

I haven’t bothered trying anything else since then so I have nothing to recommend but there’s probably something else out there that batch converts audio files for free with no spyware and no hassle

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Jigoku posted:

I haven’t bothered trying anything else since then so I have nothing to recommend but there’s probably something else out there that batch converts audio files for free with no spyware and no hassle

The desktop version of VLC can batch convert media files.

And as fishmech said, the android version can probably let you listen to your music collection again.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Is there an app to have a certain phone number override the ringer settings? I usually leave my phone on vibrate but for some phone numbers I want them to ring no matter what.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

There is an app called essential calls that seems to do what you want. You could use tasker too

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You could set your default ring tone to none (or a silent file, I guess), then manually set a ring tone for the contacts you want. I *think* that will still allow the phone to vibrate.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I thought that's a function of the stock dialer combined with starred contacts?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Blue Train posted:

There is an app called essential calls that seems to do what you want. You could use tasker too

Essential Calls worked, I was able to flag a number and even set the volume

LastInLine posted:

I thought that's a function of the stock dialer combined with starred contacts?

It will ring through but if my phone is left on vibrate it will just vibrate. I need it to ring

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

gariig posted:

It will ring through but if my phone is left on vibrate it will just vibrate. I need it to ring

Turned out I was wrong anyway and was thinking of Priority mode.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The fact that you can't make Google Assistant use a British Male voice without setting your entire phone and account to british language settings is just another example of how out of touch google is. :colbert:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

What's a good browser with adblock?

I would use Firefox + uBlock Origin, but the scrolling is absolute garbage. I was thinking about Brave Browser or Lightning Browser. Or maybe Samsung Internet, if I could figure if any of the blocker extensions they offer don't eat battery/are good.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 14, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mystic Stylez posted:

I would use Firefox + uBlock Origin, but the scrolling is absolute garbage. I was thinking about Brave Browser or Lightning Browser. Or maybe Samsung Internet, if I could figure if any of the blocker extensions they offer don't eat battery/are good.

What's your problem with the scrolling?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Maybe I'm going insane, but the scrolling of webpages on the mobile app is all choppy. I've seen other people online complain about it too. I have a Moto Z2 Play, which has decent hardware, so I don't think that's a factor.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Mystic Stylez posted:

I use Brave on my Android. It seems to run faster and better than Firefox, and it does a great job of blocking ads out of the box.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mystic Stylez posted:

Maybe I'm going insane, but the scrolling of webpages on the mobile app is all choppy.

What do you mean by choppy?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Firefox for Android is perceptibly less smooth than Chrome, but IMO it's not bad enough to outweigh its benefits. It may have gotten better since Quantum, but I'm not sure.

Firefox Focus feels faster to me and has built in adblock, so that may be worth a try. It's currently my default.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

fishmech posted:

What do you mean by choppy?

As I scroll pages they kinda stutter, it isn't smooth.

azurite posted:

Firefox for Android is perceptibly less smooth than Chrome, but IMO it's not bad enough to outweigh its benefits. It may have gotten better since Quantum, but I'm not sure.

It appears that the mobile version of Firefox actually hasn't received the Quantum improvements. It's coming in the (few?) next version(s) or something.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Have you tried NetGuard? It sets up a VPN on the phone that does the blocking for you, so you can use whatever browser you want.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751764&pagenumber=118&perpage=40#post472540289

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Mystic Stylez posted:

It appears that the mobile version of Firefox actually hasn't received the Quantum improvements. It's coming in the (few?) next version(s) or something.

Weird. I would say the overall framerate feels lower, but I haven't noticed much stuttering, if any.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mystic Stylez posted:

I've had that on multiple phones, it seems to be worse on some websites.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
Aye nerds, I am looking for a call recording application.

Things I want in it
-Dumps either a mp3 or wav/whatever audio file straight to the device/SD card.
-Records all calls regardless of origin and gives option to discard recording after call ends.
-Whitelist for contacts so I do not get a 2 hour recording of me talking to my mom.
-Barebones interface (if one at all) with all the information being dumped into the filenames themselves. Example: 2018-04-20_666-420-1337_length-0-04-20.mp3 or just custom selection $date-$number-$length.extension.
-Passable audio quality. I do not need FLAC levels of audophilia but at least something that you can make out what people are saying without horrible amounts of compression.
-Automated voice that informs the caller that this call will be recorded and that continuing to stay on the line means they agree to the recording (This is an insane requirement that I doubt I will ever find and do not even expect, but would be nice as it would save me time from informing the caller of exactly that), If this option exists, then a ability to turn it off.
-Preferably a popup that allows me to turn off the recording when I get a call. Not expected but would be nice.
-Ability to start recordings for when I make calls not just receiving them.

Things I do not want
-Custom file formats that the app itself can only open. Seriously gently caress off with this poo poo.
-'CLOUD INTEGRATION' :yayclod: I can just setup some type of sync service if I want off phone backups and prefer to have complete control over what poo poo with potentially PII exits my device.
-Any use of external servers/services for 'quality purposes and telemetry' or whatever bullshit reasoning they have for keeping copies of my phone calls or wasting my data shoving a 200MB audio file across the cell network especially if it contains PII.
-The requirement to root my device, this should not have to exist but I would not doubt applications recording phone calls is blatantly a huge security risk and might not be possible with a non-rooted device.

I am willing to pay for such an app within reason, I mean if one exists and it is like :10bux:*5+ then I might be a little hesitant but I doubt something free exists with both the features I want and excluding the poo poo I do not want. Thanks for any suggestions nerds.

I assume that I am going to have to just bite the bullet and learn java to make it myself. :smith:

Jeesis fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Samsung Internet & Adblock Fast is pretty good. Better than using that terrible mobile Firefox.