Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Pfff, fatamids and a victorious crusade for Arabia by a holy order

call me when it's the Somalis ruling everything, not the fatamids and it's the Zun holy order holding it

btw, Somali Merchant Republics are kinda hilarious because their cultural retinue is pure light infantry, which while garbage, means that you can have so many of them it's kinda insane

Especially if you nab the silk road posts too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
What are the good cultural retinues?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

Apparently my son is already at the highest rank of lucifers own. :stare:
Yes the son/daughter of satan auto gets that.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

DJ Dizzy posted:

What are the good cultural retinues?
Italian/Scottish (i.e. whatever gives you pikemen)

Pure heavy infantry isn't bad, but not great, same with camels

Anything mixed is probably inferior to defensive retinue; light infantry is pure garbo and the others are comically expensive; by the time you have any number of them, you have probably won

There's a few exceptions with cultural retinues getting specific tactics, but those are pretty rare tbh, all I can think of is the grey wall for Indians, the much nerfed Longbow Volley for the welsh/english and the new Tibetan ambush that makes light infantry ok but only in mountains lol

lurksion posted:

Yes the son/daughter of satan auto gets that.
I kinda wonder how that will work out if you have supernatural events set to all and there's a few of them about

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

bon characters have utterly insane light infantry UTTERLY INSANE.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is there any way I can cure my son of being demon-spawn and having the voice of satan?

It's not like he is a bad son though.

loving why. Wait for him to kill you and then Reconquista in the name of a slightly different god.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

If I create the titular title of Visby and give it to a lord mayor of Gotland, will it turn into a merchant republic, or do i have to give the entire duchy of Austergotland?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

winterwerefox posted:

If I create the titular title of Visby and give it to a lord mayor of Gotland, will it turn into a merchant republic, or do i have to give the entire duchy of Austergotland?

That will be all you need. He'll end up fighting with whoever owns the dukedom though, since the other duke will desire the county of Gotland.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

I usually hold Austergotland myself along with Sweden, so no worries there. Will Visby count against my duchy limit for pissing people off? or is it like being Fylkir, and they dont give a poo poo while i figure out who to give this title to?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

winterwerefox posted:

I usually hold Austergotland myself along with Sweden, so no worries there. Will Visby count against my duchy limit for pissing people off? or is it like being Fylkir, and they dont give a poo poo while i figure out who to give this title to?

It will count against your duchy limit. I always make Gotland into a merchant republic in my Norse games, it's pretty neat. But as others have pointed out, the duke of Austergotland will constantly try to conquer them. So either hold the title yourself or destroy it.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
Tried starting a game as Dubrovnik - within 3 days had 3 people already declared war - within the week 2 more joined. That game ended in about 15min. Not sure how to deal with being the only Pagans over there.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Torrannor posted:

It will count against your duchy limit. I always make Gotland into a merchant republic in my Norse games, it's pretty neat. But as others have pointed out, the duke of Austergotland will constantly try to conquer them. So either hold the title yourself or destroy it.

Just disable internal wars.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

So I just killed a fellow immortal born in 83 BC by distracting him with a debate on the nature of mortality and then bashing his head in with a candlestick.

I would have fought him fairly drat it but that piece of poo poo came after my Empress when she was taking a -4 hit to personal combat from being mangled in a previous incident. If that motherfucker wanted a fair fight he should've gone after me when I was healthy. :colbert:

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

So my situation right now is

I have 2 sons. one is set to form the kingdom of Denmark when he inherits, plus taking Duchies of Sjaeland and Jylland wholesale. So i give him those duchies, gavelkin is happy, it doesnt want any of my lands in sweden that is going to my heir who i gave the county of Suddenmanland to so he can have a life before he takes over for me, but real close to home, being in my capital duchy. Future King of Denmark son dies before he can form the kingdom from my death, by falling down the stairs, so the kingdom title is now not in play. he had twin sons right before kicking it, and they got Sjaeland and Jylland one each for themselves. Now Gavelkin is saying that the grandson that got Sjaeland is also getting my lands of Austergotland and Gotland, plus the Duchy.

Whats my solution here? A small claim war when my heir takes over? Why did it suddenly say that this baby has claim to half my lands?

Mainly im trying to understand why gavelkin did this poo poo

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Because gavelkin exists only to cause you pain and suffering

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Kill you're famil...until there is only one son. Problem solved!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
What kind of retinues, if any, does Bear culture have? I've got one in my court and only about a hundred years left, I'm thinking about appointing him court tutor and letting things get weird

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

How do you get a bear in the first place? I looked it up and I guess it's like a character looks like a normal human, but then it turns out they're actually a bear? Can this happen to the player character or just other people?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Turns out i didnt need to worry about it. i had another kid while 70 years old with my 45 year old wife.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The most accurate Steam review ever written for CK2 is just "I thought I was a good person before I got this game."

For me, this lesson sank in around the time I went on a viking raid into the Mediterranean, sacked Constantinople, took the Byzantine emperor's wife and daughter prisoner, and subsequently sacrificed the wife to the gods and made the daughter into my concubine with the intent of producing a useful son for my ambitions and murdering any disappointing children she produced to keep that situation under control.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

A question for those who are more savvy with custom kingdoms in this game: I'm doing a viking playthrough, and while I was able to cobble together Denmark, Sweden, and Norway pretty early, and even reform the Old Germanic faith, I could never keep things together long enough to grab Finland to form the Empire of Scandinavia, and by the time I was strong and stable enough most of the Finland territory was occupied by a bigger and stronger kingdom that was friends with all the other nearby pagans. So I decided to get myself to feudalism and out of the Gavelkind Nightmare by forming the Empire of Denmark. Now I finally got enough of Finland to form the Empire of Scandinavia, but it seems to exclusively contain those Finnish territories.

What I want to know is, is there some way for me to put all of my territory under the de jure umbrella of one empire title? Or should I just destroy this mostly useless Empire of Scandinavia title and keep rolling as Empire of Denmark?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

If you destroy Scandinavia and control all of de jure Finland, it will drift into your custom empire. Likewise, if you destroy your custom empire and control all the counties in the kingdoms you used to create it, they will drift back into Scandinavia.

Crow Jane posted:

What kind of retinues, if any, does Bear culture have? I've got one in my court and only about a hundred years left, I'm thinking about appointing him court tutor and letting things get weird
Bear culture doesn't have any special retinues. The only special things about it are the portraits and the ability to eat prisoners.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
There's no appropriately themed Devil Worship Society for the Aztecs :gonk:

Also for some reason it keeps notifying me that random people are being sacrificed by the Aztecs to their foul pagan gods.

Since I'm playing as the Aztecs, but wasn't sacrificing anyone at that particular time, I'm assuming it was some vassal of mine?

Also, exterminating the Karling Dynasty before Charlemagne was born appears to have caused some serious issues. Initially, their territory consolidated and turned into Austrasia or something, but now weird blobs of Revolts are appearing and disappearing every few years like schrodinger's cancer.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

ShakeZula posted:

A question for those who are more savvy with custom kingdoms in this game: I'm doing a viking playthrough, and while I was able to cobble together Denmark, Sweden, and Norway pretty early, and even reform the Old Germanic faith, I could never keep things together long enough to grab Finland to form the Empire of Scandinavia, and by the time I was strong and stable enough most of the Finland territory was occupied by a bigger and stronger kingdom that was friends with all the other nearby pagans. So I decided to get myself to feudalism and out of the Gavelkind Nightmare by forming the Empire of Denmark. Now I finally got enough of Finland to form the Empire of Scandinavia, but it seems to exclusively contain those Finnish territories.

What I want to know is, is there some way for me to put all of my territory under the de jure umbrella of one empire title? Or should I just destroy this mostly useless Empire of Scandinavia title and keep rolling as Empire of Denmark?

If I'm reading this right, then Finland is the only thing left in Scandinavia? If that's the case I'd just keep rolling with the custom empire. I only use custom kingdoms and empires in rare instances where I really like the name and overall colors of the lower title. Like how when playing Jews I always do a custom Empire of Israel rather than using Arabia/Persia/Abyssinia. I just don't see the point in doing a big Jewish run if I'm not gonna be looking at Israel all over the map once I obtain an empire title, so I make the custom one.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Annath posted:

There's no appropriately themed Devil Worship Society for the Aztecs :gonk:

Also for some reason it keeps notifying me that random people are being sacrificed by the Aztecs to their foul pagan gods.

Since I'm playing as the Aztecs, but wasn't sacrificing anyone at that particular time, I'm assuming it was some vassal of mine?

Also, exterminating the Karling Dynasty before Charlemagne was born appears to have caused some serious issues. Initially, their territory consolidated and turned into Austrasia or something, but now weird blobs of Revolts are appearing and disappearing every few years like schrodinger's cancer.

Given how metal Aztec religion normally is, what could their devil worshipers do that the high priests wouldn't go, "Yeah man, let's do that poo poo too."

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

No Pants posted:

If you destroy Scandinavia and control all of de jure Finland, it will drift into your custom empire. Likewise, if you destroy your custom empire and control all the counties in the kingdoms you used to create it, they will drift back into Scandinavia.

I thought custom empires didn't get de jure drift? Regardless, it sounds like Danish Empire is the way to go. Sorry, Scandinavia.

Now I think I'll declare a holy war on the Suommensk bastards to the East.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

bon characters have utterly insane light infantry UTTERLY INSANE.
Really? I mean, there's the mountain Ambush tactic, but is there like, religious combat bonuses? The retinue itself is crazy strong?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Welp, the year is 1448 in my ironman Israel run. As promised, gonna post a buncha screenshots and some highlights and poo poo. There's still five years left in the game so I'm doing this now because for the last few years I'm gonna grant independence to every vassal I can and watch the world explode into Jewish Thunderdome.

Map Screens:

Realm:

Religion:

Culture:

De Jure Empires:

Dynasty:

Trade:

Highlights/WTF:
  • For a long time most of Spain was controlled by Croatians until all of the sudden it was inherited by an heir who was inexplicably a Kharijite Berber. These later got mostly stamped out but you can still see them some in southern Spain and Tangier.
  • For a long time Britannia was hilariously ruled by ORCS. The ruling dynasty's name was Orc
  • Somehow the aforementioned Croatians in Spain actually created the vassal merchant republic of Valencia, in the above trade map you can see that they later became independent during the Kharijite shenanigans and became Portugal.
  • I conquered China and at present it is still ran by my kinsmen, the Ashkenazi Jewish Wei Empire. I requested two successful invasions from them to poo poo all over Tibet and later Sicily.
  • My treasury is absolutely full, including 20 Chinest artifacts from four different ruling dynasties, 4 magnum opuses, 11 assorted books authored by numerous rulers, 2 skull trophies, and 5 artifacts obtained by previous councilors. Also a top tier set of crown jewels and armor amounting to a total price of ~50,000.
  • My current and last ruler is an immortal who got mangled and when confronted by some rear end in a top hat 1499 years old, distracted him with a debate on mortality and then brained him with a candlestick, which still got me the achievement for defeated another immortal lmao
  • When the Mongols invaded I murdered Genghis' dynasty so hard that the empire shattered, leaving what I thought was the lone descendant ruling China until I invaded them. Turns out I was wrong and a single descendant persisted in Pecs for awhile until one of my vassals conquered him. Currently there are only four Mongols left in the entire world, none of them related to Temujin.
  • Both Antioch and Cilicia being a thing is because I wasn't paying attention and accidentally gave the Duchy of Cilicia to some lord mayor. Oops. I said gently caress it and let them hang around rather than fight to take it from them and piss everybody off.

Welp, that's about all I can think of that might be interesting off the top of my head.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 16, 2018

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Really? I mean, there's the mountain Ambush tactic, but is there like, religious combat bonuses? The retinue itself is crazy strong?

According to this, the Himalayan Mountaineers are great because of the stacking bonuses shoring up LI's weaknesses and the LC enabling harass and raid tactics.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Hahahahaha I granted everybody I could independence and dropped from 58 or so vassals to 18. There's now two pages of wars listed in the ledger.

Well, ran out the last five years. Final score was 523,806.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 16, 2018

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Himalayan Mountaineers are 300 Light Infantry, 100 Light Cavalry. Light Infantry of the retinue get 50% offence, 30% defence, 10% Morale. Light Cavalry of the retinue get 20% offence and defence. Tibetan Mountaineer Academy cultural building adds 10-40% Light Infantry Offence/Defence/Morale.

So presuming they're heavily built up, regular levies are attacking at 1.4/1.4/2.4 power(From base 1/1/2 Skirmish/Melee/Pursue), and Retinue are attacking at 1.9/1.9/2.9 before thing like tech. Also 2.4 morale. They will sell their lives dearly, and there's a lot of them always.

Then you take a look at combat tactics.

https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Combat_tactics

Very little targets Light Infantry badly and little targets Light Cavalry badly, and the odds are against those tactics turning up because of how much Light Infantry and Cavalry you'll have throwing things off.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 16, 2018

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ahhhh, man, that's interesting.

It's always nice when there's a few wrinkles to the old "just slame more mans into them", so this is pretty neat. It's kinda weird there aren't any Bön cheevos tho, other than the cannibal one

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So I murdered my stupid Allah-praising liege in order to restore Christianity to Europe, it was easy bsince nobody liked the Muslim emperor of Francia.

Now his christian son is ruler but I am still called sultan of Italy, did my cunning plan of murdering the guy I don't like fail?

Also a question about internal management - I started as Duke of Spoleto and besides that, I own
the duchy of Benevento and all counties under it, the duchy of Lombardy with only the Lombardy county, and the counties of Capua and Savoy.

My plan was to keep Lombardy in order to avoid risking a mega-duke there, but I can't fabricate claims on the counties I don't own because it's not my capital; so I would have to go the slow way round and should give the duchy of Benevento to someone, maybe my son which just turned 18. But that would lose me a lot of power. I also have a lot of duchies to create still (Pisa, Ferrara, and a couple others). What's the best way to achieve my goal of being personally very strong without everybody hating me?

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
More than two duchy titles will get you a relationship penalty with your vassals. Personally I think the best way to go is to find a holding you can have 4 or 5 castles in, then have that be your capital owning them all yourself. Put your marshal there to train troops and your chancellor there to collect taxes so multiple castles get those bonuses on top of the capital county bonus. Other counties in your capital duchy also get a smaller bonus.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

More than two duchy titles will get you a relationship penalty with your vassals. Personally I think the best way to go is to find a holding you can have 4 or 5 castles in, then have that be your capital owning them all yourself. Put your marshal there to train troops and your chancellor there to collect taxes so multiple castles get those bonuses on top of the capital county bonus. Other counties in your capital duchy also get a smaller bonus.

Yes I do know all of that, and that's why I have to get rid of at least one duchy.. just wondering if my plan is sound (keeping the duchy of Lombardy and maybe making it capital even if it's underdeveloped now, to eventually be stronger, and get rid of Benevento) or if it would be better to keep developing my current capital Spoleto and keep the nearby duchy to have all my power consolidated in the same area, risking giving away one of the best, biggest duchies in my Kingdom to someone who could or could not oppose me and gently caress me over

Lombardy has 5 de jure counties of which at least 2 have 4 holdings, it's a great place. Too bad that "moving" there would leave me very much weaker in the short term

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

TorakFade posted:

My plan was to keep Lombardy in order to avoid risking a mega-duke there, but I can't fabricate claims on the counties I don't own because it's not my capital; so I would have to go the slow way round and should give the duchy of Benevento to someone, maybe my son which just turned 18. But that would lose me a lot of power. I also have a lot of duchies to create still (Pisa, Ferrara, and a couple others). What's the best way to achieve my goal of being personally very strong without everybody hating me?

Give Lombardy to your son and start feeding development to his duchy to transfer capitals when your current character dies? Or if you are close to death go on a tyranny rampage and revoke a couple of counties in Lombardy.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Fat Samurai posted:

Give Lombardy to your son and start feeding development to his duchy to transfer capitals when your current character dies? Or if you are close to death go on a tyranny rampage and revoke a couple of counties in Lombardy.

Nice idea, how do I transfer development? I'm in my late thirties so hopefully I still have 20-30 years to go with this character

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
You can build/upgrade stuff in a vassal's demesne the same way you do in yours.

EDIT: Marry him to someone suitable before granting him land or he will end up with a drunk, maimed heretic adulteress.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 16, 2018

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Fat Samurai posted:

You can build/upgrade stuff in a vassal's demesne the same way you do in yours.

Oh yes I know, but the issue here is tech.. my capital is around 12/12/12, Lombardy is like 8/8/9, I can't even build stuff there that is available and already built in my capital :( it's 970 if that helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Tech will spread between provinces if they're adjacent or owned by the same character- so just owning Lombardy would have done it eventually. But honestly it's probably better just to save your money/tech points for the next thirty years and just go ham when you inherit. Tech spread takes forever.

• Locked thread