Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i wonder why quick release for wired controllers never caught on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
OMG LIEK XBOX HUGE LOL just isn't the meme it used to be.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

anthonypants posted:

thats what the vibration motors are for :shlick:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EnergizerFellow posted:

OMG LIEK XBOX HUGE LOL just isn't the meme it used to be.

buddy, I made a "turn 360 degrees" joke in here and someone didn't get it.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

PleasureKevin posted:

just think how much more miserable steam machines would be if they hadn't been delayed a year. it would be easy to see Steam Machines as a warning shot at Microsoft w/r/t the Windows store competing with Steam, but evidently it didn't work and Valve gave up immediately if that's the case.

also look what some idiots decided to revive

https://twitter.com/SeamusBlackley/status/951919306593337345

:bisonyes:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

eschaton posted:

if came out with an SDK at the same time and said “use this SDK for system abstraction and your code will run on all Steam Boxes, as well as every computer running Windows, Linux, and macOS under steam” they could have had a chance

especially if they’d also let games built against the SDK run standalone and said “also in 2 years we’ll start requiring all games to use this SDK”

but nope, that’d require too much coordination and forethought
they did, it's called SDL

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

anthonypants posted:

wired controllers disappeared from the market

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wired controllers disappeared from the market
don't the ps4 and xbone still ship with wired controllers in the box

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

anthonypants posted:

No, not even the PS3 had wired controllers, they were all Bluetooth as standard. Xbox 360 still shipped with wired. In fact Xbox 360 didn't even have Wifi.

EDIT: i originally said "not even the PS3 had wireless controllers" because i'm on a lot of heavy medication

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 14, 2018

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

anthonypants posted:

no, it’s just that wireless controllers became rechargeable and gained the ability to charge off their console

i think at least the ds4 does communicate using the wire but it’s optional, they’re all wireless

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

PleasureKevin posted:

No, not even the PS3 had wireless controllers, they were all Bluetooth as standard.

:thunk:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

PleasureKevin posted:

No, not even the PS3 had wireless controllers, they were all Bluetooth as standard. Xbox 360 still shipped with wired. In fact Xbox 360 didn't even have Wifi.

ps3 controllers did use Bluetooth but some very specific variant that if you wanted to use it with your computer required a Bluetooth dongle flashed with some specific firmware

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Boiled Water posted:

ps3 controllers did use Bluetooth but some very specific variant that if you wanted to use it with your computer required a Bluetooth dongle flashed with some specific firmware

i am using a ps3 controller wirelessly right now with only the scptoolkit

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

:psyduck:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i meant to say "not even the PS3 had WIRED controllers"

i regret the error

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 14, 2018

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

xbox one sales vs xbox 360 sales month aligned

in other words, the xbox 360, red ring and all, was a better selling console for much of it's life.

i've heard it said that console sales are all about momentum. this is another area where Valve totally dropped the ball, btw. but that in mind, xbox one is not where it ought to be.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i am using a ps3 controller wirelessly right now with only the scptoolkit

doesn't that do some weirdo driver hook to connect to the controllers despite them not doing a real bluetooth broadcast/handshake thing though? iirc all the stuff uses off the shelf bluetooth stuff, but shortcuts out of doing real pairing (which is wise as bluetooth is a shitshow on that end and both sony and apple are right to avoid the issue)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Shaggar posted:

the original hueg xbox controller was great. it was the first good controller for a console.

once again shaggar is right

the nes max was the first great controller for a console

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

yes, the controller that Microsoft immediately redesigned and discontinued, the one with 6 face buttons, the one with branding so obnoxious it reflected light into your eyes while you played, that is the "first" "good" controller

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

nintendo 64 - analog stick

dreamcast - screen/memory-card in the controller

playstation - dual analog sticks

xbox - well, you see the branding is VERY large on the controller. it's shiny too.

wii - motion controls

iPhone - multi-touch

ah yesh. the xboxsh ish the first good controller on thish lisht

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
on that list its the only good controller

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PleasureKevin posted:

No, not even the PS3 had wired controllers, they were all Bluetooth as standard. Xbox 360 still shipped with wired. In fact Xbox 360 didn't even have Wifi.

EDIT: i originally said "not even the PS3 had wireless controllers" because i'm on a lot of heavy medication

X360 came with wireless, too

non-bt wireless, but wireless nevertheless

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Same with the bonex

If I told you they make a console with bespoke wireless controller protocol and then eventually dumped it for something standardized, which console would I be talking about? (Hint it’s both the 360 and the bone)

It’s like they’re literally incapable of learning from mistakes

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

the cable on the dreamcast controller came from the bottom

because it was poop

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

X360 came with wireless, too

non-bt wireless, but wireless nevertheless

the core xbox 360 included a wired controller. many bundles came with a wireless version for extra cost.

flakeloaf posted:

the cable on the dreamcast controller came from the bottom

because it was poop

the cable was at the bottom because of the VMU slots. also, there was a notch for the controller cable if you didn't like it at the bottom. you could attach it to the top if for some reason you cared.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

doesn't that do some weirdo driver hook to connect to the controllers despite them not doing a real bluetooth broadcast/handshake thing though? iirc all the stuff uses off the shelf bluetooth stuff, but shortcuts out of doing real pairing (which is wise as bluetooth is a shitshow on that end and both sony and apple are right to avoid the issue)

it also requires some custom HID driver bullshit for input iirc

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

PleasureKevin posted:

dreamcast - screen/memory-card in the controller

pioneering technology that we still use today.

i actually loved the whole vmu thing as a kid but the sides are rather perpendicular and close together on that controller which ultimately made it poo poo.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

NEED MORE MILK posted:

Same with the bonex

If I told you they make a console with bespoke wireless controller protocol and then eventually dumped it for something standardized, which console would I be talking about? (Hint it’s both the 360 and the bone)

It’s like they’re literally incapable of learning from mistakes

didn't the 360 always use the proprietary protocol? i don't think they ever released a bluetooth/other standard version of the 360 controller. honestly it wasn't too bad; the thing got great range, battery life and the signal pretty much never dropped iirc. it did make it a bit of a headache to use with a pc though (both having to buy the dongle and having to gently caress about when the dongle invariably had some weird issue)

ps3 controller works out of the box with my mac last i checked. not particularly useful in the grand scheme of things but i thought it was neat

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 14, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i loved the dreamcast but its controller was garbage, and it's ridiculous to claim they couldn't have the wire come out the top even with the vmu ports, considering third party manufacturers managed it just fine

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

the 360's controller standards were all over the place

they had wired-only controllers (cable non-removable or replaceable), and wireless-only controllers. you could get a proprietary cable which would allow the controller to recharge if you had a battery pack for it, but it didn't do any data transfer at all, all communication still happened wirelessly (so it won't work on a pc without their proprietary wireless dongle, or if your 360's wireless pairing hardware is internally busted). and the original fatty console had no wireless for internet connectivity unless you bought a proprietary wireless adapter which was like $100, but the slim and bone-alike sku's did have wireless built-in

the xb1 controllers all work either wired or wireless but the entire thing is still a clusterfuck because they've had like 4 major controller revisions to unfuck various hardware problems with it, and the controllers have firmware updates too and they can be bricked if it goes wrong

the ps3 controllers just used bog-standard mini-USB and this would work over the cable itself, with the wireless being bluetooth. same with the ps4 controllers, just with microUSB instead

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the dual shock 3 is a weird piece of hardware. it's bluetooth, but can only be paired via usb by using hid reports. on both bluetooth and usb it won't function until specific hid reports are sent or queried. iirc, on bluetooth you need to send hid report 0xf4 and on usb you need to request hid report 0xf2. if it's connected via usb it will still be inoperative until the user pushes the home button. until that is done the controller won't send any input reports and any reports to set the state of the leds or rumble will be reverted in a second or two. the hid descriptor is a mess too as it doesn't follow the general hid mapping spec at all and will do things like have a collection of valid axes, followed by a bunch of dead axes the report says are there but aren't actually connected to anything, followed by more working ones, etc...

the dual shock 4 is much better to work with, but it still has some quirks. when connecting via bluetooth it doesn't respect the l2cap mtu size, so bluetooth stacks need to add a workaround for it. plugging it in via usb will result in you getting reports with data for the entire controller including the touchpad and gyros, but if you connect it via bluetooth it initially starts in "basic" mode where you get hid report 0x01 with the buttons and joysticks and that's it. you need to send an led/rumble state report or use some other initialization report to put it in "full" mode which provides the data for the touchpad, gyros, battery, etc..., but the problem is that once you do that it starts sending input using another report number (0x11 i think?) which the hid descriptor provides no data for, so the controller will stop working without a custom driver since the underlying hid system has no idea how to parse these reports.

both the ds3 and ds4 also append an extra zero at the end of their bluetooth hid descriptors for some reason, which causes many parsers to output a warning or error out in some cases.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the gamecube controller is the best, most comfortable controller ever designed

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i'm genuinely interested in the tech behind controllers and have been since i unplugged my atari controller and wondered why they needed eight pins for four directions and a button

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

i'm genuinely interested in the tech behind controllers and have been since i unplugged my atari controller and wondered why they needed eight pins for four directions and a button

presumably: up, down, left, right, button, vdd, gnd, either another gnd or nc

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

9 pin :science:

hobbesmaster posted:

presumably: up, down, left, right, button, vdd, gnd, either another gnd or nc

you forgot the paddle inputs

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 15, 2018

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Last Chance posted:

the gamecube controller is the best, most comfortable controller ever designed

lol no the z trigger is actively painful to use

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004