Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

No idea on the Cent, but I think people still run brawly AC-20 builds with them. Ghost heat is still in and it sucks, but brawling is back and pretty okay. Also yes, there are still goons playing. MWO discord is here if you wanna ask around:
https://discord.gg/f3vJMQC

It's just one of those weird thread jokes, commando.

Free Mech!!! Clan tech still is OP! :)

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:vince:

Star Citizen: if the broken parts were removed, we would not have anything left to play

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
:lol: A teacher from college shared a Derek Smart post of a clickbait website telling us how Trump is totally about to go jail

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

The Glumslinger posted:

:lol: A teacher from college shared a Derek Smart post of a clickbait website telling us how Trump is totally about to go jail

in 2 weeks.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Devtalk Podcast Ep01 with Matt Sherman, Tech Designer on Star Citizen
https://soundcloud.com/user-321126684/devtalk-podcast-ep-01-matt-sherman

@14:50

Q:
You have a core idea and then as you develop it some more ideas come out, how do you handle tertiary ideas from possibly exanding that core gameplay? How do you control or gauge that as a technical designer?

Matt Sherman:
Ahh... I... in... in part, like... like there's... earlier checks and balances I had mentioned where it's having... knowing... whatever I'm thinking of, I'm gonna have to get it gut checked by drat well everyone. Um... and that sort of creates a good... ah... a good padding around those ideas where it's going to be shot to hell... you know it's gonna be shot to hell as you're submitting it, but that's also (mumble) you... you... make something where it's like shot at with criticisms or concerns or just basic gut checks from other people and you know you've started reinforcing and creating a design on something where fewer and fewer of those shots actually hit the mark, ah, where... you can be like, 'oh no!', you're... you're gonna say that, but... this is already in place to counterbalance that or... these structures are here to, ah... provide those certain gameplay elements, ah... whatever the scenario is for it

Q:
I feel like you don't just create a design doc. There's got to be some sort of inspiration that you receive. Do you have any notable source of inspiration?

Matt Sherman
Uh... for a lot of that stuff, eh... it would go back to just some of the different games that I've played or the styles of games that I've played... ahh... probably one of the biggest ones I'd still say is like System Shock, ah... and especially now because the studio that is sort of heading the idea that... um... had... they did an enhanced edition about a year ago... and when they released it it's like, 'oh you get it with both the classic edition with the enhanced controls in the enhanced edition', and... especially now it's an amazing case study in...

...look at just what a key bind shift really does for a game, ah... cos their classic controls from 1994 were before WASD controls were a thing and it really showed like the game was very very cumbersome, it was still a very incredible game... like oh, here's a 6dof game, ah, the same year Doom II came out, um... it's got jumping, leaning, crouching, ducking through air vents, just homicidal AI... ah... amazing first person adventure elements to it at the... it... it's one of those things like... at the time... the control was fine enough for what it was, here's this really cool experience, you know the Ultima Underworld games were its predecessors aaaand... it's like, ok, I understand what they're doing and what the systems are, then when you fast forward 20 years it's like, 'wow, this is clunky, this is cumbersome, how was I faster as a kid and not minding this stuff', um... and that's why they're enhanced edition is like, 'oh hey! You know those modern control sensibilities we've picked up over the years? We've applied those to what the actual commands and actions are for those games', so there's a brand new keymap and one or two QoL things with like mouselook, um, and suddenly you know, this game can play as well as... ah... System Shock II, the Deus Ex games, all that kinda stuff, it still shows its age a little bit but... it... immediately became insanely playable.

@44:40
Q:
As a game dev and as an avid gamer, what is your take or your thoughts on the state of the game industry today?

Matt Sherman
Yeah. Um... it's definitely interesting because... it's like at that cusp of a lot of potential.... and you don't know how things are going to get realised and... if you'd also like start considering like the external socio-policital climates like, 'Ok! What... what can and can't we make still... what... you know... is there going to be... are there any challenges you know, into the future even, ah, what... known challenges or known things, it's like, ok, people haven't tried progressing THIS type of a gameplay model or THIS genre or whatever... um... sort of finding THOSE things and I think there's... there's enough of the... the industry still sort of doing THAT cos... even like a lot of the, you know, triple A games that will get lambasted for being, ah... sequel heavy or whatever the hell people wanna say... um... there's still that... that notion where... they're always pulling pieces of multiple different genres and they're still also trying to blend stuff together... CREATE... something different so it... they don't... they aren't always trying to make exactly the same... there is always that... that attempted something a little bit different, another layer of edition ah... kinda just one new major gameplay feature...

And I still think some of that gets lost because people don't always think back to just how far we had to go, ah, to get to that point where it's like, 'yes we've got these giant, GIANT rear end SANDBOXES right now, have you ever played ADVANCED DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS ON THE INTELLIVISION? Because you'll break your loving skull in half trying to play through that if what you're acclimated to is...

There is that thing were you have to really step back all the way and see it's like... this is where we've really come from and how far we've gone and how big of incremental jumps we've made each step along that way

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

The student has become the master.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/K9YWnXI.gifv

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

SomethingJones posted:

Devtalk Podcast Ep01 with Matt Sherman, Tech Designer on Star Citizen
https://soundcloud.com/user-321126684/devtalk-podcast-ep-01-matt-sherman

@14:50

Q:
You have a core idea and then as you develop it some more ideas come out, how do you handle tertiary ideas from possibly exanding that core gameplay? How do you control or gauge that as a technical designer?

Matt Sherman:
Ahh... I... in... in part, like... like there's... earlier checks and balances I had mentioned where it's having... knowing... whatever I'm thinking of, I'm gonna have to get it gut checked by drat well everyone. Um... and that sort of creates a good... ah... a good padding around those ideas where it's going to be shot to hell... you know it's gonna be shot to hell as you're submitting it, but that's also (mumble) you... you... make something where it's like shot at with criticisms or concerns or just basic gut checks from other people and you know you've started reinforcing and creating a design on something where fewer and fewer of those shots actually hit the mark, ah, where... you can be like, 'oh no!', you're... you're gonna say that, but... this is already in place to counterbalance that or... these structures are here to, ah... provide those certain gameplay elements, ah... whatever the scenario is for it

Q:
I feel like you don't just create a design doc. There's got to be some sort of inspiration that you receive. Do you have any notable source of inspiration?

Matt Sherman
Uh... for a lot of that stuff, eh... it would go back to just some of the different games that I've played or the styles of games that I've played... ahh... probably one of the biggest ones I'd still say is like System Shock, ah... and especially now because the studio that is sort of heading the idea that... um... had... they did an enhanced edition about a year ago... and when they released it it's like, 'oh you get it with both the classic edition with the enhanced controls in the enhanced edition', and... especially now it's an amazing case study in...

...look at just what a key bind shift really does for a game, ah... cos their classic controls from 1994 were before WASD controls were a thing and it really showed like the game was very very cumbersome, it was still a very incredible game... like oh, here's a 6dof game, ah, the same year Doom II came out, um... it's got jumping, leaning, crouching, ducking through air vents, just homicidal AI... ah... amazing first person adventure elements to it at the... it... it's one of those things like... at the time... the control was fine enough for what it was, here's this really cool experience, you know the Ultima Underworld games were its predecessors aaaand... it's like, ok, I understand what they're doing and what the systems are, then when you fast forward 20 years it's like, 'wow, this is clunky, this is cumbersome, how was I faster as a kid and not minding this stuff', um... and that's why they're enhanced edition is like, 'oh hey! You know those modern control sensibilities we've picked up over the years? We've applied those to what the actual commands and actions are for those games', so there's a brand new keymap and one or two QoL things with like mouselook, um, and suddenly you know, this game can play as well as... ah... System Shock II, the Deus Ex games, all that kinda stuff, it still shows its age a little bit but... it... immediately became insanely playable.

@44:40
Q:
As a game dev and as an avid gamer, what is your take or your thoughts on the state of the game industry today?

Matt Sherman
Yeah. Um... it's definitely interesting because... it's like at that cusp of a lot of potential.... and you don't know how things are going to get realised and... if you'd also like start considering like the external socio-policital climates like, 'Ok! What... what can and can't we make still... what... you know... is there going to be... are there any challenges you know, into the future even, ah, what... known challenges or known things, it's like, ok, people haven't tried progressing THIS type of a gameplay model or THIS genre or whatever... um... sort of finding THOSE things and I think there's... there's enough of the... the industry still sort of doing THAT cos... even like a lot of the, you know, triple A games that will get lambasted for being, ah... sequel heavy or whatever the hell people wanna say... um... there's still that... that notion where... they're always pulling pieces of multiple different genres and they're still also trying to blend stuff together... CREATE... something different so it... they don't... they aren't always trying to make exactly the same... there is always that... that attempted something a little bit different, another layer of edition ah... kinda just one new major gameplay feature...

And I still think some of that gets lost because people don't always think back to just how far we had to go, ah, to get to that point where it's like, 'yes we've got these giant, GIANT rear end SANDBOXES right now, have you ever played ADVANCED DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS ON THE INTELLIVISION? Because you'll break your loving skull in half trying to play through that if what you're acclimated to is...

There is that thing were you have to really step back all the way and see it's like... this is where we've really come from and how far we've gone and how big of incremental jumps we've made each step along that way

Star Citizen is in good hands. The design documents are of course fully written up, ready for implementation.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Was expecting some seal clubbing one.

(Just kidding)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

derek smart and streetroller need to team up to take down croberts.

i call their team.... DEREK ROLLER

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Quavers posted:

Star Citizen is in good hands. The design documents are of course fully written up, ready for implementation.

I'm glad that CIG have a tech designer who can communicate key concepts and ideas so clearly.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Not Street Smart?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Not Street Smart?

:thejoke:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I don't get it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I don't get it.

:same:

Also, Street Smart sounds like a kickass 80s action show. Anyone wanna 'shop Streetroller and Derek into Street Hawk? 'Roller can be Jesse Mach, Derek can be Norman Tuttle.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I don't get it.

Not with that attitude :colbert:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Sandweed posted:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-01-14-david-cage-and-quantic-dream-shocked-by-allegations-of-unhealthy-studio-culture

Imagine being David Cage and then saying this:

quote:

"You want to talk about homophobia?" he said. "I work with Ellen Page, who fights for LGBT rights. You want to talk about racism? I work with Jesse Williams, who fights for civil rights in the USA... Judge me by my work."

Looking forward to the SQ42 press junket with Gary Oldman and Gillian Anderson. They are going to have to sit next to him while he blabs about being a big hollywood director and bringing that experience with him to produce a game with the most immersion and fidelity.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Judge me by my physical proximity to better people

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Thoatse posted:

Not with that attitude :colbert:

Huh?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Sunswipe posted:

:same:

Also, Street Smart sounds like a kickass 80s action show. Anyone wanna 'shop Streetroller and Derek into Street Hawk? 'Roller can be Jesse Mach, Derek can be Norman Tuttle.

Someone please do this

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

you see the joke was that instead of going for the obvious good choice of street smart, i went with the stupid choice of derek roller

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

you see the joke was that instead of going for the obvious good choice of street smart, i went with the stupid choice of derek roller

Sure?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
In case anyone still cares, Cloud Imperium Job Vacancies just hit 80 today. Was ~60 since March 2016 and started steadily rising after the Gamescon complete and utter disaster.

New items include QAs and facial animators for animating faces, even though the faces were supposed to have been performance captured so gently caress knows.

e: Wilmslow just posted ads yesterday in the UK for Motion Editor (motion cap stuff) and another animator, oh and a Senior Animator 5 days ago.

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 15, 2018

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Should be SmartTroller imo

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txCrb-YvlAc

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

SomethingJones posted:

New items include QAs and facial animators for animating faces, even though the faces were supposed to have been performance captured so gently caress knows.
Performance capture is useless by itself, animators are needed at the very least to touch up artifacts from it

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

D_Smart posted:

:laffo::laffo:

Good times man, good times.

ps: that last bit was particularly hilarious. man, I laughed so hard, the dog jump off the couch and onto my lap :lol:

Wait a minute!

Derek, you have a dog and you haven't posted pictures of it yet? For shame!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

AlmightyPants posted:

Wait a minute!

It's a Jack Russel Terrier that will clamp down on your ankle and gives this thread legal advice.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

EminusSleepus posted:

I just want to drive my Centurion around and confuse pubbies by up-armoring my left arm and using it to absorb a funny amount of incoming fire. :smith:

Well that and driving a Commando with no armor and all of the SRMs to see if I can get away with it. Good times.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, I think he's upset? FF to 27:26. It's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQhgkvcPAw

This whole video is pretty good for schadenfreude if you're looking to burn some time.

1) Game freezes immediately at the start of the video.
2) Reloading takes 70 seconds.
3) Cutlass Black is lost due to the freeze, reclaiming it takes 85 minutes, reduced to 7.5 minutes if you pay to expedite the claim. (Note: expedited processing fees seem to be waived currently).
3) It takes him 12 minutes of space combat action to kill a single NPC fighter guarding the mission objective.
4) After grabbing the mission objective box floating in space and re-entering his ship, the local physics grid ejects him and he is stuck paralyzed in space, with no working controls.
5) He suicides and flies back out to the mission site in another ship. The mission objective box is still sitting inside his previous ship but is glitched and cannot be picked up.
6) He attempts to quantum travel back to Olisar but QT is not working and removes control of the ship, fixable only by exiting the pilot seat. Another NPC ship comes and takes his shields down to critical while he's sitting, immobilized.
7) Suicide, respawn, and rant.

All this takes place at sub-20 fps, except for dips down to 3-5 fps during items 5 and 6.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

AlmightyPants posted:

Wait a minute!

His dog is just another one of his alts. Or maybe the dog was the real Derek Smart this whole time.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Nebiros posted:

I just want to drive my Centurion around and confuse pubbies by up-armoring my left arm and using it to absorb a funny amount of incoming fire. :smith:

Well that and driving a Commando with no armor and all of the SRMs to see if I can get away with it. Good times.

Join us, my friend, and all these dreams can be yours.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

kilus aof posted:

Shakespeare didn't have 10% of the impact they are predicting Star Citizen to have.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our Star Citizen, but in ourselves.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

boviscopophobic posted:

This whole video is pretty good for schadenfreude if you're looking to burn some time.

3) Cutlass Black is lost due to the freeze, reclaiming it takes 85 minutes, reduced to 7.5 minutes if you pay to expedite the claim. (Note: expedited processing fees seem to be waived currently).
3) It takes him 12 minutes of space combat action to kill a single NPC fighter guarding the mission objective.
4) After grabbing the mission objective box floating in space and re-entering his ship, the local physics grid ejects him and he is stuck paralyzed in space, with no working controls.
5) He suicides and flies back out to the mission site in another ship. The mission objective box is still sitting inside his previous ship but is glitched and cannot be picked up.
6) He attempts to quantum travel back to Olisar but QT is not working and removes control of the ship, fixable only by exiting the pilot seat. Another NPC ship comes and takes his shields down to critical while he's sitting, immobilized.

All this takes place at sub-20 fps, except for dips down to 3-5 fps during items 5 and 6.

So progress then?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

boviscopophobic posted:

GAME OF THE YEAR, ALL YEARS

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Please don't dog doxx.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.
Go to Lord Roberts, and let him learn to know, when goons sue, citizens deny like Gods.

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

EminusSleepus posted:

Let's rub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

boviscopophobic posted:

The one glaring thing from all of these attempts at gameplay is this: even if the game worked flawlessly, it would suck beyond description. I never hear the streamers, for all their protestations of "It's in Alpha!", address this in any way. No amount of fidelity, no amount of bugfixing, and no amount of polish can hide it: there is no game here. It is a joyless romp through generic nothingness - go to this point, aim at a box, and push a button. Congratulations CIG, the best-case scenario of a 100% functioning game still can't save it from the dumpster - where it can sit next to Sandi's excised film debut.

Sorry Chris, I know while you were pretending to be a director you heard this phrase a lot, but it can't and won't apply to your game: some things just can't get "fixed in post."