Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Yaws posted:

Do people itt want to have sex with the Star Wars droids? Is that what this is about?

I'm not trying to be crass but c'mon

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Actually, yes; if the droids are not people, then all of Star Wars is populated with sex weirds who programmed every computer to say ‘massa’, scream when whipped, and periodically flee.

Luke is not unethical, in this view, because he is merely roleplaying as a slavemaster in his Second Life, fooling around with the decorative handcuffs on his uncle’s farming equipment.

Those are your two options.

(This is closely related to the notion that the First Order are cosplayers and Rey is a Star Wars fan. That’s to say it’s all a LARP where only select white characters are truly real.)

This is flying right into the territory I wanted to cover with my thoughts on Turbo Kid which I watched on netflix last week. But probably nobody wants a seven paragraph reading on Turbo Kid and I don't really want to watch it a second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Actually, yes; if the droids are not people, then all of Star Wars is populated with sex weirds who programmed every computer to say ‘massa’, scream when whipped, and periodically flee.

Luke is not unethical, in this view, because he is merely roleplaying as a slavemaster in his Second Life, fooling around with the decorative handcuffs on his uncle’s farming equipment.

Those are your two options.

(This is closely related to the notion that the First Order are cosplayers and Rey is a Star Wars fan. That’s to say it’s all a LARP where only select white characters are truly real.)

Rey is a Star Wars fan, though. She collects still more memorabilia in TLJ; she wants to "belong" and Star Wars is, with the revelation that her parents were nobodies, literally all she has left. Her central narrative in TLJ is trying to convince two people who gave up on Star Wars after Episodes I-VI that really, no, those Star Wars were cool.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
What is the Midi-chlorian count of a sentient droid?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

homullus posted:

Rey is a Star Wars fan, though. She collects still more memorabilia in TLJ; she wants to "belong" and Star Wars is, with the revelation that her parents were nobodies, literally all she has left. Her central narrative in TLJ is trying to convince two people who gave up on Star Wars after Episodes I-VI that really, no, those Star Wars were cool.

Star Wars is a series of films.

Rey is a gearhead whose a fascination with antique military hardware and piracy shifts towards collecting holy relics. She has never seen a film.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

About the same as its heart rate.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Rey spends most of TFA trying to escape from the star war before giving up.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 4, 2018

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
We see that at the beginning of ANH when C3P0 and R2D2 go shuffling through the middle of a pitched firefight without even getting singed. They didn't even have to chant anything.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

3 for C3PO, 4 for R2D2. This is why R2 does so much more.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Star Wars is a series of films.

Rey is a gearhead whose a fascination with antique military hardware and piracy shifts towards collecting holy relics. She has never seen a film.

And Kylo Ren is definitely not a Star Wars fan who doesn't understand Star Wars.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

3 for C3PO, 4 for R2D2. This is why R2 does so much more.
By this system, does Obi-Wan only have one?

I'm sorry.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cnut the Great posted:

The clones aren't like any slave army that's ever existed. They're genuinely, enthusiastically patriotic and eager and willing to serve, whereas slaves have never been such..

The Ghaznavids, Mamluks, Jannissaries, Chela, Ghilman, and Sofa are all examples of exactly this and you’re bullshitting because you clearly don’t know much about historical slavery. The ideological, sociological, and structural forces that compel slave obedience also work to normalize slavery in the minds of slaves. Many of the aforementioned groups eventually either became the most powerful political force in their polities, conquered them outright, or left to conquer other regions...and in no case did they abolish slavery, as an example. Many slaves themselves owned slaves while enslaved

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Yaws, what, in your own words, does it mean for a movie to be about something?

If droid sentience is the end all be all point of Star Wars than I want some god drat resolution for them. Imagine how much better these sequels would be if Luke led the droids to their freedom. It'd be a lot better than this regurgitated boring pap we've got so far.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The droids will never be free. Nobody in the star wars universe cares.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yaws posted:

If droid sentience is the end all be all point of Star Wars than I want some god drat resolution for them. Imagine how much better these sequels would be if Luke led the droids to their freedom. It'd be a lot better than this regurgitated boring pap we've got so far.

Please answer the question.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Please answer the question.

You want an answer? Star Wars isn't about droids.

There. It is done.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yaws posted:

There. It is done.

Please read the question closely and then answer it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Objection, leading the witness

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Objection, leading the witness

It's on cross so it's allowed.

Also he's not leading.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Please read the question closely and then answer it.

How about a clear and concise resolution? If you accept that droids are sentient and slaves or whatever you also accept that Star Wars is an inherently unjust nihilistic universe.

Again, Star Wars is not that cynical.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yaws posted:

How about a clear and concise resolution? If you accept that droids are sentient and slaves or whatever you also accept that Star Wars is an inherently unjust nihilistic universe.

The question didn't actually mention Star Wars or droids at all. I'm not, in fact, making an attempt to argue that Star Wars is about droid slavery. Rather, I am trying to understand the way you think about movies. What does it mean for a movie to be about something?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Yaws posted:

There. It is done.

I think what people run into is that Lucas (he's mentioned this in a couple of interviews) is that he says he likes everything he does to involve something about how we related to and deal with technology and how it effects our lives. Even down to stuff like how Obi-Wan warns Luke about how Vader's beyond hope because he's now more machine than man - when he cuts off Vader's hand he doesn't look at his own like "oh poo poo I got angry and could fall to the dark side," he's not finding a difference, but a something in common with him and his father - so the series isn't directly ABOUT droids but there's enough interplay between man and machine in general that it's hard to ignore and not imagine more stuff about them.

Yaws posted:

It would be awesome but we'll never an episode IX where like ten minutes it cuts to Luke's force ghost appearing before a droid and helping that droid become free and to free other droids and that's just the entire rest of the movie.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe obiwan was lying about Vaders inhumanity.

You really can't take what Obi wan says at face value. Especially since Vader turned out to be ok.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

nvm

Yaws fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 15, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bongo Bill posted:

The question didn't actually mention Star Wars or droids at all. I'm not, in fact, making an attempt to argue that Star Wars is about droid slavery. Rather, I am trying to understand the way you think about movies. What does it mean for a movie to be about something?

Deep down, I think you want to prove how dumb you think Yaws is. I always hate these kind of posts.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I see it more as an attempt to bridge the disconnect. There's a fundamental miscommunication somewhere, which is only going to be resolved by going back a few levels to get everyone on the same page.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Deep down, I think you want to prove how dumb you think Yaws is. I always hate these kind of posts.

Well, I mean, I wouldn't be opposed if he embarrassed himself a bit, but a productive cinema discussion would be preferable.

Anyway, most of the time what people seem to mean when they say that a movie is about something is what the premise of the movie is. It isn't the work's thesis, the argument or message it's trying to construct, but rather a summary of the way it poses the question that it's setting out to answer through metaphor. So the choice of which details to emphasize reveals what the person summarizing it thinks is most important.

For instance, you might say The Phantom Menace is about the invasion of Naboo by an army of droids led by a business mogul and backed by an evil wizard, and its liberation by two knights, its queen, an outcast, a droid, and a freed slave boy. That summary tells us the major players and a high-level view of the plot, but it's the details that tell us what the movie really means.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, I mean, I wouldn't be opposed if he embarrassed himself a bit,

Yeah so, there you go.

Anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv1KzoH4_0U

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, I mean, I wouldn't be opposed if he embarrassed himself a bit, but a productive cinema discussion would be preferable.

All you ever talk about is Star Wars. That's where your appreciation for cinema begins and ends. I don't recall you ever mentioning a non-Star Wars film. You're a philistine. A simp.

You're in a film forum chum. Check yourself.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

euphronius posted:

Maybe obiwan was lying about Vaders inhumanity.

You really can't take what Obi wan says at face value. Especially since Vader turned out to be ok.

That was my point. We see how two different characters evaluate Vader based on his cybernetics.

I think Attack of the Clones sucks, but Obi-Wan's awkwardness throughout it is one of the things that resonates the most in the OT. Like he has that sudden aside about how droids can't think and so on. When you see what a great friend he is of Anakin (in the Clone Wars series also), you'd almost think his biggest problem with Anakin isn't the dark side but that his natural body got destroyed.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Yaws posted:

All you ever talk about is Star Wars.

the Star Wars thread, everybody

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yaws posted:

All you ever talk about is Star Wars. That's where your appreciation for cinema begins and ends. I don't recall you ever mentioning a non-Star Wars film. You're a philistine. A simp.

You're in a film forum chum. Check yourself.

Dude, you don't get to coyly dance around a person's question for five posts and then claim that the other poster doesn't realize they're in a forum for discussing film.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Yaws posted:

Star Wars is absolutely set in an inherently unjust nihilistic universe.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Like, they say it outright: "it seems we were made to suffer. It's our lot in life."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Like, they say it outright: "it seems we were made to suffer!"

Yes but I laugh! I laugh at their pain!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

CelticPredator posted:

Yes but I laugh! I laugh at their pain!

Exactly, the point of that line is we're supposed to be laughing at what a drama queen Threepio is being. Threepio is a robot-butler who just wants to perform his function but Artoo keeps getting him involved in Space Adventures, that's the joke.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are you infuriated by the FEMINIST MISANDRY of Star Wars?

Do you want to watch a 46 minute "de-feminized" cut of The Last Jedi?

Well, thanks to the Internet's whiniest snowflakes (MRAs), now you can!

Good grief.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
In order for a fictional universe not to be inherently unjust and nihilistic, slavery must be good.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yaws posted:

He created life for enslavement. He didn't fall because he was a rotten person from the get go, I guess.

Anakin's entire deal in the prequels is based on his tendency to replicate the conditions he's in. In a society that allows slavery, he builds himself a slave. In an order whose function is to enforce the will of the Senate, he enforces the will of the Senate. It just so happens that Palpatine is the Senate.

E: honestly, it reminds me of one of my favorite offhand turns of phrase from Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast series, where Steerpike is described as having the ability to understand a situation without appreciating it. Anakin understands and adapts to situations he's put in: slavery, podracing, space dogfighting, being a servant of the Republic, but does not appreciate the moral cost of what Palpatine offers, just understands that it can help him.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Are you infuriated by the FEMINIST MISANDRY of Star Wars?

Do you want to watch a 46 minute "de-feminized" cut of The Last Jedi?

Well, thanks to the Internet's whiniest snowflakes (MRAs), now you can!

Good grief.

Internet MRA posted:

“Cut out most shots showing female fighters/pilots and female officers commanding people around/having ideas.

The lack of self-awareness necessary to write this sentence is drat near impossible to believe. I'd lay money on it being someone's idea of a joke.