Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Weedle posted:

My wife and I are big fans of Adventure Time, and while watching her play Super Mario Odyssey today, it occurred to me that this template would be perfect for an Adventure Time game. Finn and Jake could travel around to the various kingdoms of Ooo and help out their respective denizens. Instead of using Cappy to possess other creatures, you could use Jake’s shapeshifting abilities to complete challenges and collect uhhhhh some kind of crystals or something I guess. The final world could be the Nightosphere where you face off with Hunson Abadeer at the end. I think you could even design the graphics to look pretty close to the show’s animation, perhaps even more so if it were a 2D sidescroller. Anyway this is my game idea, by Weedle, age 29.

me and my partner are also big Adventure Time fans and would love a good adventure time game. i think the world they've built should really easily lend itself to it. however, the new game "Adventure Time: Pirates of the Enchiridion" will most likely not be a good game. the guys making it (Outright Games) basically churn out cash-grab branded merchandise.

it's disappointing, considering that the Adventure Time cartoon maintains a pretty high creative bar. i'd love the show's creators to get involved to the level that Trey and Matt do with the South Park games but i guess that's expensive and time-consuming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just bought Crawl.
I have Crawl for PC.
I don't have any friends to play with.
I'm very stupid.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Shrines are bad

no

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ya

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
ya but moons instead of shrines

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Shrines aren't bad, but they could have made like 10-20 baller rear end puzzle dungeons with some actual meat to them, with the resources it probably took to make 100 ok shrines. I'lll still take them over the usual "take out this outpost" open world poo poo.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The shrines are good, the world is bad

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Jet Jaguar posted:

Dear King of Hyrule:

There are too many shrines nowadays. Please eliminate 33.

I am not a crackpot.

Only the combat ones

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Shrines... good.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Can you guys believe Darkest Dungeon is coming to the best console in three days

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

every time someone mentions playing crawl on switch i get really excited for half a second then remember that it's a totally different game that just happens to also be named crawl

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

me and my partner are also big Adventure Time fans and would love a good adventure time game. i think the world they've built should really easily lend itself to it. however, the new game "Adventure Time: Pirates of the Enchiridion" will most likely not be a good game. the guys making it (Outright Games) basically churn out cash-grab branded merchandise.

it's disappointing, considering that the Adventure Time cartoon maintains a pretty high creative bar. i'd love the show's creators to get involved to the level that Trey and Matt do with the South Park games but i guess that's expensive and time-consuming.

And it comes out in 4 months but I couldn't find any video of it, only screenshots.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

every time someone mentions playing crawl on switch i get really excited for half a second then remember that it's a totally different game that just happens to also be named crawl
same

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Has anyone tried out Romancing Saga 2? Never got around to playing that one when I went through a lot of SNES RPGs and just wondering how the port is and whether it's worth playing.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Are you talking about Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, or something else? Not sure what other game might regularly be refereed to as Crawl and even that is a stretch (also hard to imagine it coming to the Switch).

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It's very hard to imagine it, that's why it's so exciting.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Can you guys believe Darkest Dungeon is coming to the best console in three days

What are you talking about, Darkest Dungeon’s been on the Vita forever tho?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mr. Locke posted:

What are you talking about, Darkest Dungeon’s been on the Vita forever tho?

the what?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Andrast posted:

the what?

i think it's a muffin brand?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

goferchan posted:

Mario I'd say drop FLUDD and the cape swing. Put the spin attack back on down-B and turn side-B into a Cappy throw that can be used offensively and also for recovery

The cape is like the most fun move in his moveset

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Macaluso posted:

I can't believe it's getting a Game Gear port

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Speaking of which, Crypt of the Necrodancer is coming out February 1st.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What the gently caress is the deal with saving in golf story? I keep replaying poo poo because “save and quit” apparently just picks and chooses at random when I’ve finished a quest or not.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I've seen BotW called many things but ugly? That game is utterly beautiful.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

and Link maybe replacing the boomerang for one of his ipad powers/glider.
The bike. Replace it with the bike. Thing disintegrates when it hits anything hard enough anyways.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I'm pretty excited.

Also shrines are good and do not need to replace traditional dungeons. We can have bothhhhhhhhhh.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Also shrines are good and do not need to replace traditional dungeons. We can have bothhhhhhhhhh.

:yeah:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I do wish that Breath of the Wild's main dungeons had been more like "classic" Zelda dungeons. The shrines are fun and good, but the main dungeons are kind of... meh for me. Too samey, maybe?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish the champion’s ballad DLC had been a large dungeon. “Link, there’s an archive with the champion’s memories! Explore it and you will master their abilities!” And then you go through the dungeon, fight some mini bosses/bosses, and at the end the dungeon starts collapsing BUT HOLY poo poo THERE’S THE MASTER CYCLE and you speed back down to the entrance and ramp out as the dungeon falls down into the sand behind you.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Quote-Unquote posted:

I bought a switch yesterday!

I'm enjoying Zelda so far; it's a rather ugly looking game but I'm having fun - the movement controls are pretty good and gliding around is a lot of fun, and the puzzles in the shrines I've come across have been pretty entertaining (if a little simple so far). The one thing that's bugging me is weapon durability. So there's no way to repair weapons? I seem to be using lovely clubs that various enemies drop a lot because every weapon breaks after one or two kills max. At least I'm getting attacked by these idiot assassins with sicles all the time (15 damage vs the 4 from the clubs I seem to find a million of) but it's pretty annoying that I find a sweet 20 damage sword and lose it less than 10 minutes later.

Also, is there no way to recharge the joycons without attaching them to the console and putting it in the dock? I'm going to be using this almost entirely in TV mode and it's kind of annoying to pull the thing out of the shelf it's on in order to attach the controllers to charge.

Your other points have been covered, but do note that the Joycons have like, 20 hours of battery life. Don't sweat it. Just clip them back in the dock when you're done playing for the day. Also you can slide the Joycons onto the system while it's in the dock. The quick swapping of Joycons is one of the main features of the system.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I do wish that Breath of the Wild's main dungeons had been more like "classic" Zelda dungeons. The shrines are fun and good, but the main dungeons are kind of... meh for me. Too samey, maybe?

I'm probably a weirdo, but I never particularly liked dungeons in Zelda games. I like exploring in Zelda games. Dungeons were always these annoying things I had to get through to get a key piece of equipment so I could explore more. So I thought the BotW dungeons were just about perfect. They were short and the central gimmicks were all cool.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/nintendolife/status/952899454457262081

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I like a mix of the two, personally. The thing I always liked about the Zelda games is that at any point in time, you can choose if you want to engage with a designed, themed package of a dungeon, or just gently caress around and go look for heart pieces and talk to the townsfolk for a while. Breath of the Wild does the loving around part really well, but I think it kind of flubs it on the other part. Something just thrills me about walking into something like Ancient Cistern in Skyward Sword, marvelling at how unique the place looks, and wondering what kind of new cool gimmicks and enemies I'll get to interact with this time, and what cool new power I'll get access to and what that will unlock for me. In contrast, the BotW dungeons feel... too small, too alike (visually and otherwise), and don't really feel like they unlock anything other than the spells (most of which aren't that great and don't unlock any new areas or anything)...

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Japan sales numbers. :stare:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I doubt I'd ever get pokken tournament because it doesn't look like my kinda game but that I like that aegislash is gonna be playable because that seems like an odd but interesting choice

Though there are other pokes that lend themselves so directly to a fighting game format that I'm surprised they haven't been put on the roster yet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The one thing BotW can't really do is have puzzles that introduce puzzle mechanics and combine them or make them more complex as the dungeon goes on. The shrines are (almost) all too small to do that, while the dungeons are so open that the puzzles can't really ramp up or affect one another.

I really like BotW's puzzles, and I love the concept of the game's dungeons--shifting the entire space around you to solve puzzles is extremely cool. I just wanted to see bigger, multi-stage takes on those things. Like if they took some of the shrines that play around with the same theme, like the electric shrines in the Gerudo Desert, and combined them into a themed dungeon with evolving puzzle mechanics as you explore it.

Ultimately I know that's not what BotW is about, but I hope Nintendo takes some of its mechanics and ideas and makes some really cool, more complex dungeons next time.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have some weird sound thing going on with Doom. Sometimes it'll just get quiet. If I turn up the volume I can hear it a little, but then something will happen and it'll go back to normal. The volume of the regular Switch home menu is not effected at all during these times, if I hit the Home button while the game is quiet all the bloops on the menu are the right volume

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mahoning posted:

Japan sales numbers. :stare:

lol the Xbox flatline

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Switch is gonna outsell the PS4 in Japan.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

lol the Xbox flatline

To be mildly fair, the Xbox 360 didn't exactly do well in Japan either.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

FirstAidKite posted:

I doubt I'd ever get pokken tournament because it doesn't look like my kinda game but that I like that aegislash is gonna be playable because that seems like an odd but interesting choice

Though there are other pokes that lend themselves so directly to a fighting game format that I'm surprised they haven't been put on the roster yet.

I'm more interested about Aegislash than about Blastoise. Primeape or something like that would be almost too obvious and probably have a predictable moveset, the best thing they can do with a Pokemon-based fighter is making interesting gimmicks based on the non-humanoid ones. Also why there's more ghost types in than fighting.

I sorta wish we got an Ivysaur zooming around the battlefield with vines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be mildly fair, the Xbox 360 didn't exactly do well in Japan either.

It didn't do great, but it still did a lot better. The Idolmaster series was 360 exclusive for awhile, and that was pretty big.

• Locked thread