Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I would really love for them to explain the reasoning behind how the maps handle Austin/Houston/Dallas and explain why they had to be drawn that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Looking forward to Gorsuch trying to explain how because the Constitution doesn't explicitly say that you can't draw districts to disenfranchise specific populations, Texas' map is cool and good and should be a model for the rest of the nation.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I thought they openly admitted they did it to reduce Dem influence, that it also impacted protected classes was just a coincidence.
Or was that a different state?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Right, this case is about whether it was a racial gerrymander and not just a political one, and if it's permissible if a political gerrymander just happens to be racial in effect.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

duz posted:

I thought they openly admitted they did it to reduce Dem influence, that it also impacted protected classes was just a coincidence.
Or was that a different state?

North Carolina used demographic data to make their districts. If they just stuck with partisan data they would have been fine but they explicitly asked where black voters were.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Lupe Valdez seems pretty reluctant to actually campaign for the nomination. Early voting starts next month!

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/952665642179743744

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
In a 5-4 decision,

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Also this is maybe too parochial for the Texas thread but Laura Morrison is running for mayor in Austin and she sucks. I really don't want to vote for Steve Adler, because he also sucks, but I might have to.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Steve Adler made his millions off bankrupting the state. How's Morrison crazy?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

She's in a similar vein to Leslie Pool and Kathie Tovo in that she thinks the only people who matter in Austin are homeowners and everyone else can get hosed. All three of them talk a big game about affordable housing but they don't put up much money for it, and at the same time they make it harder to build anything besides single family homes.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
but but but my neighborhood character

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jesus christ our dev leagues are awful

i went over the eight or so Dem candidates declared for Michael McCaul's seat and the vast majority are awful. it goes from corporatist centrists to scared liberals to tawana cadien, perrennial candidate who after looking at her campaign websites for the past six years i cannot loving tell what she stands for

she's the most mealymouthed wannabe-politician in the country by far

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

She's in a similar vein to Leslie Pool and Kathie Tovo in that she thinks the only people who matter in Austin are homeowners and everyone else can get hosed. All three of them talk a big game about affordable housing but they don't put up much money for it, and at the same time they make it harder to build anything besides single family homes.

I wish Greg Cesar would run

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I wish Greg Cesar would run

I imagine he probably will next time, if a state rep seat or something doesn’t open up first.

The primary whenever doggett retires is going to be completely bonkers.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Doggett and Kirk Watson both

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It was nice knowing y'all btw, since we're apparently all going to freeze to death soon.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Badger of Basra posted:

It was nice knowing y'all btw, since we're apparently all going to freeze to death soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdO--3UL5D8

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Surely tomorrow they will close all works.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

zoux posted:

Surely tomorrow they will close all works.

All Austin ISDs except Austin itself are closed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wow holy poo poo but of course that guarantees that nothing will happen and there's gonna be a million smug posts about it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Nothing in DFW can make up its loving mind. I probably won't find out until like 7am.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Wow holy poo poo but of course that guarantees that nothing will happen and there's gonna be a million smug posts about it.

I have a very smug tweet in my drafts folder ready to go.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Hell yes, rocking the fourkend. :toot:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i use 2222 to get around town so i'll be getting day-drunk and playing video games tomorrow

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Nothing in DFW can make up its loving mind. I probably won't find out until like 7am.

Sadists run this shithole loving morass of bullshit munis.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
DFW can't stay home because of ice because missing a day means we'd have to work that much harder to become an A-class World City no. 1 that gets the respect we so richly deserve but never seem to obtain.

Meanwhile the world, ahem, still considers the word "Dallas" to be some kind of punchline and that's not funny and it's very offensive I mean really have they seen the new bridges and plans for the Trinity and that we recently hosted the Super Bowl? You know Austin is not as cracked up as it used to be you know Dallas is really a nice place to live in and you know a lot of people don't know that but it's true. Really. It's a very nice city. Did you know Deep Ellum was nearly abandoned a few years ago look at all the people around here it's just like Austin -- no we're not Austin. Here look over there -- look at the downtown development and urban parks and uptown condos and our progressive yet pragmatic approach to municipal governance. Seriously, the nerve...

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

DFW can't stay home because of ice because missing a day means we'd have to work that much harder to become an A-class World City no. 1 that gets the respect we so richly deserve but never seem to obtain.

Meanwhile the world, ahem, still considers the word "Dallas" to be some kind of punchline and that's not funny and it's very offensive I mean really have they seen the new bridges and plans for the Trinity and that we recently hosted the Super Bowl? You know Austin is not as cracked up as it used to be you know Dallas is really a nice place to live in and you know a lot of people don't know that but it's true. Really. It's a very nice city. Did you know Deep Ellum was nearly abandoned a few years ago look at all the people around here it's just like Austin -- no we're not Austin. Here look over there -- look at the downtown development and urban parks and uptown condos and our progressive yet pragmatic approach to municipal governance. Seriously, the nerve...

:perfect:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

lol

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

gently caress Austin and Deep Ellum.

Yes, I live in Denton. Why do you ask?

(UNT doesn't have a cancellation notice up. Not holding my breath)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/953296816602271744

:ughh:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

California did this to themselves at one point. It did not go well for them.

This is one of those things they try to stealthily completely destroy the government. It makes it functionally impossible to raise taxes, so from that point on taxes only go down. They've nearly passed laws like this in blue-rear end states like Washington because people are easily tricked.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
prop 13 is still a thing that exists in ca

don't do this to yourself texas

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kurona_bright posted:

prop 13 is still a thing that exists in ca

don't do this to yourself texas

:lol:

So they've temporarily elected enough Democrats to put themselves on stable budget footing but that will eventually end?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

California did this to themselves at one point. It did not go well for them.

This is one of those things they try to stealthily completely destroy the government. It makes it functionally impossible to raise taxes, so from that point on taxes only go down. They've nearly passed laws like this in blue-rear end states like Washington because people are easily tricked.

It wasn't' some stealth thing at all, people just didn't want to pay for the nice poo poo they wanted. There was no trick unless you think plainly worded ballot initiatives are "tricks".

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

:lol:

So they've temporarily elected enough Democrats to put themselves on stable budget footing but that will eventually end?

it's kinda screwed us (well, I just moved to Texas so idk about the 'us' but whatever) with educational spending (since property taxes go to schools), but I'm under the impression the eventual budget deficit is a less pressing concern than what it does to housing

I guess the texas bill will be different, but one of the few times property taxes are re-evaluated under prop 13 is when a change of ownership happens. So a lot of people are holding on to old homes because moving would mean higher property taxes. This isn't good for building more homes, obviously.

And repealing it will mean a spike in property taxes for all those people in super old homes in super expensive areas (*cough* Bay Area) since it's been literal decades, so that's always going to be hard to get going.

anyways yeah it's probably not something you want to pass

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Conservatives are future proofing against the impending demographic shift....

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

tsa posted:

It wasn't' some stealth thing at all, people just didn't want to pay for the nice poo poo they wanted. There was no trick unless you think plainly worded ballot initiatives are "tricks".

It's entirely bullshit designed to pass because it looks innocuous but is actually incredibly impactful. Voters don't understand the ramifications in the slightest.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

PostNouveau posted:

It's entirely bullshit designed to pass because it looks innocuous but is actually incredibly impactful. Voters don't understand the ramifications in the slightest.

So in other words it is going to take a concentrated voter education and messaging effort on the part of the Dems to counter this bill?

We are so hosed aren't we?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Zil posted:

So in other words it is going to take a concentrated voter education and messaging effort on the part of the Dems to counter this bill?

It's going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Zil posted:

I mean the Lege last year refused to pass a bill with a less stringent cap so there's no guarantee they'll pass this one either. That could change depending on who wins Republican primaries, especially now that Straus is retiring.