Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
My favourite aspect of that ad is how completely normal for Kijiji it is. If the photos had been left unrotated from an early-2000's phone it would have been even better, but it ticks every other box - insufficient detail, lovely pictures (and too few of them), garbage description with incomprehensible and irrelevant details. But instead of selling off the delinquent son's high-school project, it's a goddam Ferrari.

I used the Classic Cars list on Calgary Kijiji, sorted by Price: Highest First, and picked the first manual-transmission I saw. That it's a car I would absolutely drive the piss out of if I won the lottery is just the smelly icing on the stupidity cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You know, third gen MR2s seem to be super cheap in europe :thunk:

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/mr2/toyota-mr2-mk3-roadster-with-hardtop-andamp-bodykit-2003/8212151

Early Z4s too. They show up at $15k here, there are a few under £3k on pistonheads.

e: ooh, LHD ones in germany

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=250784159

Powershift fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 9, 2018

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Keep those things in a dry, cool place. Good-condition 5.25" disks are already pretty hard to come by.

That's good to know, I've got two boxes with 11 disks of 3M DS,HD 5.25" here at the office.

And also an unused Memorx MRX IV 6250 BPI magnetic tape.

Amazing what were to be discarded!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

You know, third gen MR2s seem to be super cheap in europe :thunk:

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/mr2/toyota-mr2-mk3-roadster-with-hardtop-andamp-bodykit-2003/8212151

Early Z4s too. They show up at $15k here, there are a few under £3k on pistonheads.

e: ooh, LHD ones in germany

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=250784159
A couple of years ago I procrastinated an afternoon away browsing for 15-year-old cars in mainland Europe. There are lots and lots of very interesting cars for quite reasonable prices when you're searching all of Western Europe, of course, but I couldn't find anybody offering the kind of "We take care of shipping it to you!" service that's so easy to find for JDM (I also browsed Skylines because obviously I did). Rotterdam is the biggest port in Europe, so I concentrated on just the Netherlands (where every website has an English version) and still couldn't find any help with the details of getting a car onto a ship from the street. I know you have to do things like drain out fluids and sign damage waivers, and presumably if I was standing on the dock I could just throw money at somebody to take care of these things, but I thought it odd that no website was jumping up and saying "Ja absoluut!"

Let me know if you find a suitable service, I'd love an early Z4.

\/\/\/ The 15-year rule means almost anything legal to import will be close to "beater" status in its home country. High-option BMWs, Audis, Jags, etc. lose pretty much all of their premium value relative to lower-option similar models after a decade and a half, and searching from the other side of the Atlantic makes local concerns ("I don't want to have to travel far to find my perfect ride") meaningless. Random fluctuations in airline seat prices means getting myself anywhere from Portugal to Poland costs about the same.
Shipping a vehicle from Rotterdam (or some other major port) to Montreal or Halifax seems to cost about $3K-$4K based on what I could (very roughly) figure out. Many of the cars I was looking for cost about that much to buy from the seller. With a budget of around $8000 you could potentially get something very interesting.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 10, 2018

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I will import a TVR some day. They're already legal and relatively cheap actually.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My hydraulics are making funny noises this morning. -40. My work truck has 120,000km on it and 12186hours lol.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html?prov=ab

Yep, it's cold out there.

Cold up here too, about -38 when I woke up. Then the power went out for about 15 minutes, giving me time to wonder how long before I should panic.

odiv fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 11, 2018

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

jonathan posted:

My hydraulics are making funny noises this morning. -40. My work truck has 120,000km on it and 12186hours lol.

Counterpoint: It's a dodge and perfectly normal :v:

Pulled out of the garage this AM and it was -26. Saw the clouds of (relatively) warm, moist air leaving the garage freezing as soon as it hit the outside air. Get to the office, look at the weather around 9:30 and and it says it's -30. Actually still getting colder even though the suns been up for an hour.

Calling for more snow tonight and then +14 early next week. Guess we'll see who's sump pumps aren't working right :haw:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

Counterpoint: It's a dodge and perfectly normal :v:

Pulled out of the garage this AM and it was -26. Saw the clouds of (relatively) warm, moist air leaving the garage freezing as soon as it hit the outside air. Get to the office, look at the weather around 9:30 and and it says it's -30. Actually still getting colder even though the suns been up for an hour.

Calling for more snow tonight and then +14 early next week. Guess we'll see who's sump pumps aren't working right :haw:

Ooh no the dodge is just my beater personal vehicle. I'm talking about "my" kenworth w900. It's a late 2015 model. Whoever had it before me must've lived in it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

These wild swings between -30 and +10 are going to turn all our roads back to gravel.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Alberta AI: Wild Swing chat

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

It's crazy how normal temperature swings of 40C in 24 hours are here though. It's been that way for as long as I can remember too. Granted I only moved here for the first time in '93.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
It’s always been normal to warm my car up for 30 minutes just to drive for 10.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shoota_McG posted:

It’s always been normal to warm my car up for 30 minutes just to drive for 10.

One of my neighbors has to have his truck on a thermal sensor or something because it starts like 10 times a day and idles for 20 minutes before shutting off.

it's a straight piped cummins, and you can here metal on metal for the first ~10 seconds of running.

at -30, i run my blockheater for an hour, start the truck, scrape off the ice/snow, and then go. I have at least 2 dead glow plugs, and it will smoke for 20 minutes if i leave it idling to warm up.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Who wants to go drift some jaaaaaaaags?

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/jaguar-land-rover-edmonton-ice-driving-camp-lessard-tickets-41347045125

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Oh man that looks fun.

I might be able to take a day off and come up for the eighth, let me check with the gf and see if she wants to come.

How much is it?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looks like it's $399, which isn't bad

I don't even fit in the F-type :(

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Hell I don't fit in the F-type. I was expecting a much bigger cabin in that car.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Holy poo poo if I was anywhere near that I would absolutely go, crippling debt be damned!

Seriously, that's an amazing price. A few years ago I did a weekend-long Autocross lesson, for $600. Totally worth it, using my own car and with no extras besides 6 or 7 hours of instruction (about 12 people and 2 instructors, so not 1-on-1 the whole time). For $400 you get to throw a (too-small) Jaaaaaaaaaaag slideways across a lake - somebody in this thread NEEDS to go do this!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh hell yes. You Edmonton boys need to be all over that.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

The weekend after the Jag event is the Porsche Winter drift school. Guess who's wife got him tickets for his birthday? :getin:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh poo poo yes. You know what would be even awesomer? Doing both.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We have ice racing at clairmont lake just north of GP. I don't know if it's set up for cars, but we do ATV's, motorcycles and UTV's. Can I use buckets of normal screws or do I have to use the special ice spikes ?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Check with the organisers, they might have a rule about spikes based on some past incident involving screws coming loose and flying all over.

Otherwise, as far as I know screws are fine. The handful of people I've talked to, many years ago, all said they were happy with screws but had a range of opinions about keeping the nuts locked on. They also talked about ways to prevent the screws damaging the wheel rim on the inside - but I can't remember their advice there.

EDIT: Also ask about cars. We had an event in Saskatoon one winter that was run on a course originally layed out by the local dirtbike club. They were very happy to have us out there, wide car tires smooth out the chewed-up ice left by skinny spiked motorcycle tires. A Subaru in full doriftoru mode is almost as good as a Zamboni.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Use concrete screws.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Or regular nuts, bolts, and washers. I'd probably want a locking nut of some sort.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 15, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I had to go to the new hospital on the south end of calgary, holy hell is that a ways out. It's 46km from crossiron mills.

46km of spraaaaaaaawl

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ayup.

But, holy poo poo a hospital with an actual parkade that isn't full by 7AM. I was shocked by how big they made that underground lot. Almost like they were thinking.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Ayup.

But, holy poo poo a hospital with an actual parkade that isn't full by 7AM. I was shocked by how big they made that underground lot. Almost like they were thinking.

And 2 hour parking on the street everywhere around it so you don't have to pay $9 for a half hour appointment.

The red deer hospital parkade is insanely expensive and you need a parking pass for every street within like 10 blocks.

It feels as if they're settting up that area to be the center of a huge population, so if they're expecting the sprawl to the south to match the sprawl to the north, it's going to be squigly roads and ugly boxes all the way to okatoks.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
You mean it's not already suburbia/hell all the way to Okotoks?

I grew up in Bonavista, a neighbourhood that was on the southern edge of Calgary when my parents bought the house there in the early '80's. I had friends in junior High that moved across to the other side of Fish Creek Park to Sundance, beyond the still-new-at-the-time neighbourhood of Midnapore. Shawnessey looks like everything was prefabricated and dropped from the sky, and the city just keeps going past that. Google maps shows Chapparal, Walden, and Legacy as new neighbourhoods south of 22X, which for the entire time I was learning to drive was the dark, empty highway you could go out to and drive as fast as you felt like because it was way too far away for anyone to care.

I'm saying I'm old.

Also, loving LOL that something named the Ralph Klein Park & Environmental Education Centre exists.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

ExecuDork posted:

Also, loving LOL that something named the Ralph Klein Park & Environmental Education Centre exists.

It's actually hilarious because it's a flat, and completely treeless, swamp in the middle of an industrial wasteland.

I'm pretty sure someone in the planning department was having a bit of fun with that one.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The better part being that to its immediate north lies an industrial park which prior to the actions of the park's namesake was... a swamp, almost identical to the park. And filling that swamp caused a bunch of serious problems for the area's ecosystem (which granted is all either farmland or being converted into more industrial now anyway) as well as the infrastructure of the surrounding areas (notice how Barlow pick-n-pull went from a mostly stable gravel yard with decent drainage to the muddy hellhole it is every spring and every time it rains somewhere around the mid-00s?) and of course, the creation of the park has done little to reverse these issues since the wildlife is already mostly dead and replaced with scavengers attracted by the waste transfer station on Wrangler (well that and the Shepard landfill, but... let's not open that loving can of worms today) and poor design means it's not really doing much to help with the water table issues either.
Best part is, the pair of industrial parks in question are part of Rocky View County and there's no chance of annexation anytime soon so the city gets to deal with its problems while supplying its labor force and collecting none of its taxes.
Don't even get me started about access or the plumbing issues around there. Those on Slack got a taste of that rant, but there's lots more where that came from.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

The better part being that to its immediate north lies an industrial park which prior to the actions of the park's namesake was... a swamp, almost identical to the park.

So it's a fitting legacy for our worst premier ever.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Only way it could be any better is if the building there had collapsed 10 minutes after the crews went home.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Hey ABAI Subaru nerds, if I needed a shop in Edmonton to flush and replace my trans fluid with the magic additive to make it stop shuddering during turns, who would you go with? Subaru dealership wants $375 and I'm guessing there's someone who would do a good job for less.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Subaru dealer down here refused to sell me a transmission filter saying they would never replace one. They're about the last place I'd go to for transmission service.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500 how the gently caress do you keep getting these avatars?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

1500 how the gently caress do you keep getting these avatars?

He's the best poster in the worst thread.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah I've made a few "controversial" posts in the Formula One thread. This is probably the worst one I've got tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slung Blade posted:

It's actually hilarious because it's a flat, and completely treeless, swamp in the middle of an industrial wasteland.

I'm pretty sure someone in the planning department was having a bit of fun with that one.

Not gonna lie, that kind of thing is pretty much dead-centre in my professional research interests. Wetlands on former industrial sites are my thing. Mostly this means mines, not brownfields from old factories or warehouses or chemical storage fields, but I'm actually very interested in visiting this industrial wasteland / swamp.

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Best part is, the pair of industrial parks in question are part of Rocky View County and there's no chance of annexation anytime soon so the city gets to deal with its problems while supplying its labor force and collecting none of its taxes.

So what you're saying is, I have several potential research funding partners here.