Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Cowcaster posted:

i got tidus’ usb, is that anything if i have no other equipment for him?

Tidus USB is insane. He should be at the top of your list to legend dive now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Always pull :getin:

Edge USB
Teedus USB
Rydia LMR

No dupes!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

BGrifter posted:

Tidus USB is insane. He should be at the top of your list to legend dive now.

i only get 5* motes rarely and am halfway through squall and shadow with what i’ve got, should i drop them and go for tidus?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Cowcaster posted:

Tidus with his USB does more single target dps than any other character right now: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/7j7nlj/new_community_challenge_idea_the_king_of_dps/ (These numbers include players that have his chain and LMR, but he's still very good even without those)

you need a water ability for him though, I think the only ones he can use are Sapphire shot (5*) Hydroburst (4*) Blue Deep (4*) and Water Strike+Watera Strike, (2* and 3*, and you can only use them if you dive his spellblade record).

With anything other than Sapphire Shot his damage will probably be a lot lower but he'll still be usable I think

edit: I don't actually recommend stopping your other dives halfway, though

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 15, 2018

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Just from a DPS standpoint, Tidus is a better dive than Squall or Shadow. Shadow's doublecast ninja is a little more versatile though since that applies to all ninja skills. Tidus is just really really good at water.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Cowcaster posted:

i only get 5* motes rarely and am halfway through squall and shadow with what i’ve got, should i drop them and go for tidus?

If you've started spending 5* motes on Squall and Shadow (I'm guessing you have Squall BSB2 and Shadow USB) you should probably finish them. In general it's a bad idea to spend any 5* motes until you have the 100/100 for a full dive. You never know what relics you'll pull that could totally change your dive priorities.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Cowcaster posted:

If this is your situation, I'd actually say wait on it.

Don't get me wrong, Teedu's USB is incredible and his dive is similarly amazing.

That being said, since you've already committed to Squall and Shadow I'd say finish them first. Shadow is incredibly versatile and will do you well.

If I were you, I'd probably go Shadow > Squall > Tidus.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Dropped 2 pulls;

1st Edge USB
2nd Tidus USB, Yuffie BSB and Edge LMR

Wasn't quite enough of a boost to finally kill my first magicite but enough of one to puree' Rubicant on the Rematch Dungeon event. Might try Living Flame again now that I realize how much Forbidden Power boosts Ninja abilities.

Id think tidus USB alone should be enough to waste the fire magicite, maybe even in under 30. Dont know how far along you are though. But that USB is nasty just make up an offensive team based around Tidus.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Its gonna be some weird rear end poo poo having Tidus wear an 8 year old's Sash and Leotard

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also at some point i must’ve picked up tidus’ legend accesory that starts him with the water boost so uh guess that’s a thing

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Tidus' USB isnt only stupid good, his weapon is stupid good too

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
One of the nice bonuses about Tidus USB is that it's also his best weapon. +water damage, ranged weapon for the bonus to Sapphire Shot, 6* base. It's just all around badass.

Tidus is just sort of all the pieces coming together in the right way. Great USB, double cast legend dive, perfect skill set, USB is a great weapon and his LM a great +water armour. Really the only "gripe" I can come up with is that Tidus has the water chain until we get Rikku's chain relic.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Cowcaster posted:

Due to the ability buff, usb + relevant abilities are pretty much the goto meta in a lot of places.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Do we ever get dualcast materia for Sharpshooter and Ninja? They're notably absent from the list.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I can confirm that Tidus USB is indeed insane. In about half a year, I went from having no water game at all to having water be my best element. I now have Tidus USB, Bartz USB, and Edge USB. I even have Rydia's water imperil if I wanna mix things up. All of this was before this recent banner. A few months back, I would have been all over it, but no need to pull now.

Ice is now really the only element I'm kinda weak in. I have Edea's BSB and...not much else good. Fran's USB kinda works, but it's more for the imperil. I have Vivi's tri-element BSB, though that kinda seems lackluster apart from the magic boost. And I have Squall's OSB, which isn't anything great by itself. Would love to have an ice-themed banner come up at some point.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I got Yuffie USB and BSB, Edge LMR, and a nifty +water rod for Vivi!

The last one looks the most exciting, but how is the LMR?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

1st water pull:

2/11

Tidus OSB (dupe)
Tidus BSB2

Hmm, that won't do.

2nd water pull

5/11

Edge USB
Edge LMR
Yuffie USB
Tidus OSB (dupe)
Bartz BSB2

:stare:

So I already have a fully dived Shadow, but I guess I basically have to dive Edge now too, right? I already had his SSB, too. Not like having two double-casting ninjas is a huge burden or anything.

Yuffie's USB is...pretty fuckin' weird, and doesn't seem that great, but whatever. Edge's LMR also seems pretty much useless but I'll take the +10 attack. Bartz BSB2 will be nice for enwatering him for double-casted quadstrikes. Tidus' BSB2 actually seems pretty good but I've already got his CSB and OSB + sapphire shot so there's probably never going to be a time when I actually use it.

Also, what do I do with these 3 +water swords now? Should I combine two of them? + water is pretty rare, but I can't really imagine needing 3 of them at once for any of the teams I run.

Now I'm down to 1 whole mythril, lets see if I can still scrape together enough to throw a pull at the FFT banner before it disappears.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Edge's LMR also seems pretty much useless

I have no idea how it is in practice, but keep in mind that physical ninja abilities get a number of hits based on stacks of physical blink.

Between his legend dive double cast and LMR he could probably get stacks faster than other ninja and keep them up more reliably.

Since double cast ninjas are apparently worth diving without relics I'm hoping it is good.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Actually chose to pull on this banner rather than Onion, as the runner-up prizes I'm sure to get seemed more appealing. Only 1/11, but it's the first time I've ever pulled an LMR for a character I actually use. So now I've got Bartz's triplecast spellblade LMR, plus USB, plus BSBs 1 and 3, plus his OSB just for kicks. Guess he felt his position as DPS King was threatened after I pulled Cloud's USB during the fest.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yuffie's USB is...pretty fuckin' weird, and doesn't seem that great, but whatever.

Everyone always undervalues the power of an instant % medica around here. The fact that it has solid water damage and some breakdowns on top is just bonus.

Seriously I was still taking Yuffie to endgame content with just her Unique version which is only the instant % medica.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I have poo poo for water, so I Pulled twice.

Yuffie USB/11
Yuffie BSB and Tidus LMR/11

Never pull.

Going have to go after that anniversary banner hard in a few months.

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

That's MISTER Freeze to you!
Rydia BSB2, Rydia LMR, Yuffie USB, and a dupe Tidus USB to combine into a terrifying water balloon of death is a pretty good haul. I already have Yuffie and Tidus dived, but has anybody dived Rydia? I've never really chased her and somehow have all of her relics, but her USB seems... okay? I guess? Doublecast is awesome and all, but I'm not sure I'm sold on doublecast summon.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cowcaster posted:

ceaselessfuture posted:

If this is your situation, I'd actually say wait on it.

Don't get me wrong, Teedu's USB is incredible and his dive is similarly amazing.

That being said, since you've already committed to Squall and Shadow I'd say finish them first. Shadow is incredibly versatile and will do you well.

If I were you, I'd probably go Shadow > Squall > Tidus.

Mmm, I agree with this, assuming you have Squall BSB2 and Shadow/Tidus USB.

Tidus does just fine with his USB alone, but his legend dives makes him better. Squall, on the other hand, needs his legend dive to really unlock the power behind his BSB2. And Shadow turns into "really good at dealing dark damage" with just his USB to "really good at dealing Dark, Water, Wind, Fire, and in the future Earth damage" with his legend dive.

Doublecast LM2s are very good in general, but Shadow's is the most versatile, Squall's is the most important for optimization, and Tidus's just makes him Tidus better.

That said, you have +water armor (the Tidus LMR), +water blitzball (the USB), and Tidus LMR/USB. Hone up two stacks of Sapphire Shot as high as you can (two R3s should be enough for pretty much any major fight) and never look back.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I have no idea how it is in practice, but keep in mind that physical ninja abilities get a number of hits based on stacks of physical blink.

Between his legend dive double cast and LMR he could probably get stacks faster than other ninja and keep them up more reliably.

Since double cast ninjas are apparently worth diving without relics I'm hoping it is good.

I guess I figured that with doublecast ninja I'd have a decent chance of just proccing double blink with the regular skills anyway, but now I am kind of curious if I'd be able to get away with bringing just one half of the physical ninja combo and using the other slot on a buff instead. Giving up the +water materia seems like a bad tradeoff, but I guess it has some niche applications when I just need another ninja double-slamming magic, since it will be super easy to cap fire and wind magic even with a "water" ninja, and a water buff would be useless then anyway.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Man, raids are weird. Get a bunch of attempts with similar-looking teams that wind up getting knocked over, then one just takes the guy apart so easily I had to check we were playing on Apocalypse+. I wonder how much is small interactions having big use (for example the winning run had Iris and Ysh with our BSBs, staggering stoneskin and the instant spot heals worked great) and how much is netcode or other bugs. I had one fight where even after being dispelled Levi was attacking twice for each chance we got, and my chain timer just stopped going down.

That said, if I have one more party with a guy who brings wall and never uses it...

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

Hone up two stacks of Sapphire Shot as high as you can (two R3s should be enough for pretty much any major fight) and never look back.

Unless the boss absorbs water. In which case Tidus becomes the best healer in the game in the worst way. Watching him heal Cagnazzo for hundreds of thousands of HP was a sight to behold.

Stirdog
Oct 11, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Man, raids are weird. Get a bunch of attempts with similar-looking teams that wind up getting knocked over, then one just takes the guy apart so easily I had to check we were playing on Apocalypse+. I wonder how much is small interactions having big use (for example the winning run had Iris and Ysh with our BSBs, staggering stoneskin and the instant spot heals worked great) and how much is netcode or other bugs. I had one fight where even after being dispelled Levi was attacking twice for each chance we got, and my chain timer just stopped going down.

That said, if I have one more party with a guy who brings wall and never uses it...

There is a solution to your MP issues. Raid with goons in discord. We only sometimes kill the boss too quickly to get full break dance fired off for mastery...

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

iamsosmrt posted:

I have poo poo for water, so I Pulled twice.

Yuffie USB/11
Yuffie BSB and Tidus LMR/11

Never pull.

Going have to go after that anniversary banner hard in a few months.

thats a great yuffie now and she has a +water armor on top of it. dive her

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I admit I underestimated Yuffie. The USB is meh but drat the BSB is really effective with entrust. I dived her and finally got my Living Flame sub30. She's so fast it works really well.

Even better Rikku's USB finally has a home.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The USB is basically all of her SSBs smashed together so it's not nothing. Plus, her USB2 (coming at the end of 3rd Anniversary, most likely) is going to basically make Edge's obsolete, so if you've got her kitted out, it's definitely something to gun for.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Kawalimus posted:

Id think tidus USB alone should be enough to waste the fire magicite, maybe even in under 30. Dont know how far along you are though. But that USB is nasty just make up an offensive team based around Tidus.

Gave it another try with the entrust route and best him at 49 seconds. The trick for me was being Alphinaud as my second healer and turning OK into an entrust/wrath bot.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I've gotta defend Yuffie USB1 a little, now that I've dived and used her in all of my water teams. It does read pretty weirdly, but they key thing is that it's instant cast. So if you're just spamming Ninja Water skills with her dual cast, it's really easy to sneak in that USB as some spike damage, or an emergency heal. If you're also using Tidus' chain, it adds a whole bunch to the counter.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Urrghh really don't know what to do with this banner. Really want Bartz LMR but that's the only thing I really want on this banner. Have three dupes including tidus USB hmmm 🤔

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

fridge corn posted:

Urrghh really don't know what to do with this banner. Really want Bartz LMR but that's the only thing I really want on this banner. Have three dupes including tidus USB hmmm 🤔

Bartz LMR isn't all that chase worthy. It's nice, but it's extremely swingy and unreliable. He already comes with a 35% dual cast on his normal dive, and if you have his USB, the LM1 boost to Spellblade damage is better than the LMR.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Oh nvm then. I think someone upthread said it was an improvement.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I got the Yuffie BSB and USB combo. Could have done with some water boost but don't mind, Yuffie's cool and it gives me more stuff to spam while chain is up.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Since I've finally able to collect 5* motes at a decent rate now and have a fully dived OK, Bartz, and Yshitola, I'm wondering who I should dive next??? My most used/useful characters are:

Agrias (half dived already but only have her BSB and two SSBs)
Celes (BSB2)
Rikku (USB, BSB)
Cloud (USB, BSB2)
Exdeath (USB, BSB)
Luneth (USB, BSB)
Cid Raines (BSB)
Tidus (USB, OSB)
Squall (USB)
Snow (CSB, BSB)
Lulu (USB)
Noctis (USB)
And a few other BSB-only people that get used a lot like Refia, Zell, Maria, Kain, Locke, and Ashe

Leaning toward Tidus cuz i think i could nearly complete his dive already and then maybe Cid Raines as they don't compete for motes. Cloud and Rikku look like good choices but I don't actually use them much and tend to RW their USBs instead. It's a hard decision!!! 😀

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Flavahbeast posted:

Tidus with his USB does more single target dps than any other character right now: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/7j7nlj/new_community_challenge_idea_the_king_of_dps/ (These numbers include players that have his chain and LMR, but he's still very good even without those)

you need a water ability for him though, I think the only ones he can use are Sapphire shot (5*) Hydroburst (4*) Blue Deep (4*) and Water Strike+Watera Strike, (2* and 3*, and you can only use them if you dive his spellblade record).

With anything other than Sapphire Shot his damage will probably be a lot lower but he'll still be usable I think

edit: I don't actually recommend stopping your other dives halfway, though

Woah what

I mean, I use him a lot but I was not aware of this. I did mention earlier that I was a bit dissapointed with Cloud USB because it just felt like Tidus with 1 bar, USB and Sapphire Shot does as much or more than Cloud with USB + Omega Drive - Cloud pulls ahead if you entrust him and use BSB2 with USB, and it's non elemental which can be better but overall on a neutral target Tidus is my first choice.

I've actually gotten Sapphire shot R3 twice as someone mentioned above just to give to him. With the ability buff Lifesiphon is not necessary, It'll just take you a bit longer to get the first buff up and instead of wasting turns lifesiphoning at least you can do some damage. I do give him the Water +30% magicite instead of increased SB gauge too, but I feel like the tradeoff is worth it for how much he ends up doing.

Now with OK Physical USB he's even more ridiculous with that high crit chance on all his multiple hit attacks

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Since I've finally able to collect 5* motes at a decent rate now and have a fully dived OK, Bartz, and Yshitola, I'm wondering who I should dive next??? My most used/useful characters are:

Agrias (half dived already but only have her BSB and two SSBs)
Celes (BSB2)
Rikku (USB, BSB)
Cloud (USB, BSB2)
Exdeath (USB, BSB)
Luneth (USB, BSB)
Cid Raines (BSB)
Tidus (USB, OSB)
Squall (USB)
Snow (CSB, BSB)
Lulu (USB)
Noctis (USB)
And a few other BSB-only people that get used a lot like Refia, Zell, Maria, Kain, Locke, and Ashe

Leaning toward Tidus cuz i think i could nearly complete his dive already and then maybe Cid Raines as they don't compete for motes. Cloud and Rikku look like good choices but I don't actually use them much and tend to RW their USBs instead. It's a hard decision!!! 😀
- Rikku is a terrible waste of motes, her Legend grid is all over the place

- Tidus and Cloud both get double cast and increase damage materia, which makes them do way more damage depending on which you use. I guess the thread myself included just finished talking about how good LD tidus is with his USB so that's my vote

- Raines also gets double cast for his BSB plus he has that unique buff on entry so basically any mage team will use him for a while, but he isn't as broken as he used to be with the physical USB double casters running around. Still a great choice for any mage team

- Every full LD is 100 motes of 2 types so just count how many motes you have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Oh nvm then. I think someone upthread said it was an improvement.

It isn't. 10% chance to triple cast is nice, but it would be replacing a similar increase to spellblade damage. The issue is that you are already doublecasting and you can't triple cast a doublecast proc (you can still proc both at once, of course). Unless you are damage capped you'll end up with less damage on average.

• Locked thread