Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thyrork posted:

That should clear up after awhile.

Also its 30 years before the rot starts to set in. Get some sensors on one of their worlds and periodically check the resource titles worked, decadence will appear eventually, but be prepared to wait for the perfect moment. Mine was the endgame crisis erupting to life. :getin:

It has been at least 60 years and I still can not communicate with them.

Edit: So are there any mods that people could recommend to help compensate for the lack of unity boosts I can use?

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

tithin posted:

Do races get randomly generated in each game, or does the game only have a pool of generic races that it uses every time + your customs?

Totally random

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Hunt11 posted:

It has been at least 60 years and I still can not communicate with them.

Edit: So are there any mods that people could recommend to help compensate for the lack of unity boosts I can use?

Can you use the console to initiate the artisan diplomacy screen or fire the event giving you a monument, etc?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The little green and orange eagle thing on the empire selection screen determines whether its attached empire might, will, or will not spawn in new galaxies. By default I think all of them are set to allow spawning, but aren't forced.

I've actually really enjoyed my games consisting only of empires that I've made knowing what their personalities in game will wind up being like.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What's the point of having all these trait points if I don't have enough picks to use them?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's the point of having all these trait points if I don't have enough picks to use them?

The whole trait/engineering system needs the same level of do-over as movement and war is getting in 2.0

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Baronjutter posted:

The whole trait/engineering system needs the same level of do-over as movement and war is getting in 2.0

Oh? What would you like to see changed? I think the trait system's probably the best functioning part of Stellaris at the minute.

I do wish there were more traits, negative ones in particular. All too often I find myself gravitating towards the same three vices because there just aren't any that seem thematically appropriate.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Buy off your negatives and swap 1 point traits with 2 point traits.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

ulmont posted:

Buy off your negatives and swap 1 point traits with 2 point traits.

Do you not have to have gone for biological ascendancy to do that?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

Oh? What would you like to see changed? I think the trait system's probably the best functioning part of Stellaris at the minute.

I do wish there were more traits, negative ones in particular. All too often I find myself gravitating towards the same three vices because there just aren't any that seem thematically appropriate.

I'd love for there to be about 2-3x more traits. All the modded ones are dumb or broken that I've found, but it always feels like there just aren't enough in the base game for some reason.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

If you get the robomodding ascenion perk it's super easy to have a bunch of points that you can't actually use on all of your models because you're maxed on picks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

imweasel09 posted:

If you get the robomodding ascenion perk it's super easy to have a bunch of points that you can't actually use on all of your models because you're maxed on picks.

That'e exactly what happened with me. I ended up getting an expanded trait mod so I had more slots.

To be honest the whole robomodding thing seems poorly implemented. Your ideal approach seems to be to quickly specialize your drones for the three resources, and then maintain those chains as you get more traits. It ends up being a pain, and in the end you can't take full advantage of the trait system since you don't have enough slots. I would prefer to see something a bit less clunky. Ultimately it's all a flat bonus anyway, so maybe change it from robomodding to specific technologies that give the same traits.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It would be very nice if you could research more trait slots or something

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I just unlocked gene modding and made a template to help my guys be better at physics research. How do I actually get those populations to spawn?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Soonmot posted:

Okay, I just unlocked gene modding and made a template to help my guys be better at physics research. How do I actually get those populations to spawn?

you need to actually genemod them now from the species menu. click on the template and then click apply template and then select your pops, it will then make a special project. it uses society research so if you have a shitload of pops it will take a while to finish.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
At the risk of being extremely rude, I am going to bet on this thread having at least some people interested in sci-fi government sims and plug the one I am currently running in The Game Room subforum. It takes place on a small ex-colony in the far reaches of colonized space, after a revolution has overthrown the kleptocratic autocracy that was in charge for about thirty years. There are elections, plenty of government roles, heated debates over policy and factional tensions under the surface. We are currently accepting candidates for the upcoming municipal elections and could use some more players willing to run independently or with a minor party.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
It would be nice if species traits were more distinctive. "This race gets +10% to minerals" and "this race gets -10% habitability but +10% army damage" are kinda small bonuses and don't really make different biological species feel different in play. You could get more interesting stories with traits like "silicon-based" (eats minerals instead of food), "gigantic" (double resource output and consumption), or "sociopathic" (inherit physical traits from host bodies but keep their own mental traits, or whatever). Especially when you start intermingling and mixing populations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Boing posted:

It would be nice if species traits were more distinctive. "This race gets +10% to minerals" and "this race gets -10% habitability but +10% army damage" are kinda small bonuses and don't really make different biological species feel different in play. You could get more interesting stories with traits like "silicon-based" (eats minerals instead of food), "gigantic" (double resource output and consumption), or "sociopathic" (inherit physical traits from host bodies but keep their own mental traits, or whatever). Especially when you start intermingling and mixing populations.

Yeah. With Apocalypse on the way, my #1 want for Stellaris is now like more distinctive advantages and disconnecting civics from things that are basically unique modifiers (for example, the new Gaia Planet/Tomb World beginning states). And more events, etc.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah genetic traits should be way more impactful and come with bonuses and penalties rolled into one. For example growth bonuses should be coupled with leader age penalties and vice versa. Strong should increase food consumption and so on. Make races more unique and interesting and don't give a poo poo about supposed balanced and optimal builds. Min maxing is for boring nerds.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Demiurge4 posted:

Make races more unique and interesting and don't give a poo poo about supposed balanced and optimal builds. Min maxing is for boring nerds.

Yeah. No matter what, people are going to min-max. And I feel like Stellaris doesn't have much in the way of traditionally competitive multiplayer where that's a big concern.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah. No matter what, people are going to min-max. And I feel like Stellaris doesn't have much in the way of traditionally competitive multiplayer where that's a big concern.

Pretty much. If they do make traits more unique and interesting I'd be fine with a 2 positive 1 negative pick limit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

They're functional, from an empire creation standpoint. Choosing between +science vs +minerals vs +leader lifespan vs + leader xp are all meaningful decisions, if a bit banal. They completely fall apart once you hit genemodding due to weird corner cases, like still can't get from enduring -> venerable without going full ascension mod, or +energy going from a useful starting boost to a slot and point blocking millstone around your neck. And that's ignoring just how fiddly rearranging pops gets.

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah genetic traits should be way more impactful and come with bonuses and penalties rolled into one. For example growth bonuses should be coupled with leader age penalties and vice versa. Strong should increase food consumption and so on. Make races more unique and interesting and don't give a poo poo about supposed balanced and optimal builds. Min maxing is for boring nerds.
I think leader traits should be bundled with pop traits and vice versa, at least during empire creation. +science gets you +expgain (with a benny if a scientist), enduring increases pop growth etc. With genetic engineering you can go full leader caste later, or continue with taking mixed traits.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Wiz teasing hiring Marauders:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/952876012458729472

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Seems heavily racist against dothraki :colbert:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So how do the keepers of knowledge react when you do a synthetic awakening?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This marauder thing seems odd if it's not a replacement for space pirates. Space pirates, as a class of space monster essentially, did have a nominal "leader" as a system boss fight (the galleon) but there was no organization beyond that.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I'd like one order of Unhinged Screamers to go, please.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

This marauder thing seems odd if it's not a replacement for space pirates. Space pirates, as a class of space monster essentially, did have a nominal "leader" as a system boss fight (the galleon) but there was no organization beyond that.

The Galleon was just a fat ship in a random system that did nothing, though. I think this week's dev diary is about piracy, so we might learn more then.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Aethernet posted:

The Galleon was just a fat ship in a random system that did nothing, though.

That's what I mean by "nominal."

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

"I hate the Dothraki. They're wankers." -- Matt Easton, 2017.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Aethernet posted:

The Galleon was just a fat ship in a random system that did nothing, though. I think this week's dev diary is about piracy, so we might learn more then.

I hope it works like Wiz's Historically Accurate Pirates Mod for Europa Universallis 3.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Leaders are really weird for a machine empire since they don't die. I feel compelled to hire and fire a bunch of scientists until I get the good ones like Spark of Genius.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, you want 2 light bulbs, and then 3rd one can be whatever since you'll hire a curator for that spot soon. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Leaders are really weird for a machine empire since they don't die. I feel compelled to hire and fire a bunch of scientists until I get the good ones like Spark of Genius.

They can die, though. By accidents. Too rare accidents, if you ask me: In my last run I was playing a machine empire and during the three centuries I played, I lost like two leaders to accidents.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

I think this is a joke, but it genuinely made me a bit uncomfortable reading the main body text because they are very clearly Mongolians in space.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fellblade posted:

I think this is a joke, but it genuinely made me a bit uncomfortable reading the main body text because they are very clearly Mongolians in space.

There's several different marauder personalities with different dialogue styles, not just the crazy ones.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

There's several different marauder personalities with different dialogue styles, not just the crazy ones.

It might be more appropriate for the 'crazy' one to instead be an alcoholic.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Aethernet posted:

It might be more appropriate for the 'crazy' one to instead be an alcoholic.

I think it's ok if the crazy space nomads are just, in fact, crazy space nomads.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
iits obvious "dwamaks" or w/e just meabs "not-us" it's their word for alien

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

I think it's ok if the crazy space nomads are just, in fact, crazy space nomads.

Fine. Don't blame me when sales of Apocalypse in Ulaanbaator are terrible. :colbert:

• Locked thread