Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Doomtalker posted:

I'm gonna be so bummed when that old man finally retires. They better give him a stable to run or something

He owns an elder's share in the NSK, so he's definitely going to be staying with the association. Thank god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Probably next in line for the Isegahama name, i imagine

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Nah, he's owned the Ajigawa kabu since 2007.

Interestingly, the dude who was borrowing it, recently changed to Sanoyama-oyakata, which was freed up by the previous Sanoyama becoming Kokonoe-oyakata.

And the Sanoyama kabu is now owned by Chiyootori.

edit: maybe you're right - looking at the history of the Ajigawa kabu, it was held by Asahifuji before he became Isegahama-oyakata...

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 30, 2017

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Okay everybody, we're getting ready to draft up for Fantasy Sumo. So far these people are participating:

Kenning
Fluffdaddy
Martytoof
Elissimpark
nyerf
Rigel
Fryhtaning

Anyone else who wants to play should mention it in the thread! Also, start thinking about your choices. Remember, it'll be three wrestlers from each rank set (y/o, s/k, m1-5, m6-10, m11+), and the wire will determine who gets first pick. I think I'll do the draft on Thursday the 11th, so we can settle in with our teams before the first day. It's coming up!

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I'll play too. I watched last basho and ended up disappointed to miss my chance in choosing fat men.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm in, can't do worse than last time!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Count me in, sirs.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

I'm back in!

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I'm in.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

In a bit of hilarity, the top-ranking gyoji in sumo (the tate-gyoji), who is that crusty little old man who usually runs the yokozuna bouts, found himself in scandal.

He apparently is known to drink very heavily and has been warned by the sumo association to moderate his behavior before. During a regional sumo tour he got shitface drunk and one of the lower-ranked refs who was helping him get back to his hotel room (a very young guy trying to break into the gyoji ranks) was putting him to bed when the old guy kissed him, groped him, then passed out.

The young guy tried to handle it quietly by demanding only an apology the next day which he got, but the media somehow found out about it, and now the head gyoji is going to be disciplined somehow.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I can't post about it right now, it's too loving stupid and lovely. The NSK needs to get its poo poo together or the sumo revival it's been enjoying is going to end quick.

That said, it's fantasy draft time! A reminder as to the draft rules:

San'yaku wrestlers will be limited to 1/3 of the league, rounded down. Maegashira wrestlers will be limited to 1/4 of the league, rounded down. Conveniently, there are 12 players right now, so that's easy math. To draft, choose three choices from each rank set, and based on the wire established last basho wrestlers will be given out. New players will be randomly sorted into the wire. The wire will be used to determine trading priority. Here's where it stood at the end of trading last basho:

Kenning posted:

The final wire for this basho is:

1-2: ???
3: Fryhtaning
4: Tsaedje
5: Diplomat
6: Pvt. Public
7: nyerf
8: Elissimpark
9: Martytoof
10: Kenning
11: Rigel
12: sivad

That means for the draft in Hatsu we'll have a coin flip between Platypus Farm and ratmosphere for 1st and 2nd, and then follow the wire the rest of the way down. If anyone new comes in I'll probably just generate a random number for them to fit into the wire and bump everyone below them down.

Once the wire is set tonight it's set. A few people who participated last time haven't signed up yet this time. I'll write up the wire without them, and then if they wanna come back in they'll come back at the bottom. The draft will close on Thursday at midnight PST. Anybody who hasn't submitted their draft roster by then will be skipped in the wire, and if they come back later it might be sorta slim pickings.

Okay, as an example, here's my draft roster:

Y/O: Hakuho / Takayasu / Goeido
S/K: Takakeisho / Mitakeumi / Onosho
M1-5: Hokutofuji / Endo / Yoshikaze
M6-10: Kaisei / Chiyoshoma / Shohozan
M11+: Abi / Daiesho / Asanoyama

Let's get ready for Hatsu!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cool! So just post it now?

Y/O: Takayasu/Kakuryu/Goeido
S/K: Tamawashi/Mitakeumi/Onosho
M1-5: Endo/Tochinoshin/Shodai
M6-10: Tochiozan/Ikioi/Chiomaryu
M11+: Takakaze/Daieisho/Daishomaru

Doot doot doot

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

So is the wire just used to establish the overall draft order? Or are you using it for tie-breakers round-by-round as if it were already live? I.e. 5 people pick Hakuho, the 3 highest get him and move to the bottom of the wire, then in the S/K round it repeats again?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, I will update the wire after any instance of drafting conflict. I didn't do that last time, but I think it'll make the draft a bit more fair.

Post your rosters guys!

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Y/O: Hakuho / Kisenosato / Takayasu
S/K: Tamawashi / Mitakeumi / Takakeisho
M1-5: Yoshikaze / Shodai / Hokutofuji
M6-10: Ikioi / Aminishiki / Takarafuji
M11+: Ishiura / Abi / Daieisho

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Come to think of it, at least for the lower ranks I think most of us would be fine getting pick #2 instead of losing our place in line. I.e. I wouldn't want to give up my top waiver position to get Tochiozan instead of Shohozan. I'll leave it up to whatever works best for you :shepface:

Y/O: Kisenosato / Hakuho / Goeido
S/K: Onosho / Mitakeumi / Tamawashi
M1-5: Shodai / Hokutofuji / Yoshikaze
M6-10: Tochiozan / Shohozan / Aminishiki
M11+: Sokokurai / Daiamami / Abi

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Y/O: Kakkers / Hakkers / Takkers
S/K: Tamawashi / Mita-kun / Takakeisho
M1-5: Hokutofuji / Tochinoshin / Arawashi
M6-10: Takarafuji / Kaisei / Endo
M11+: Abi / Ryuden / Takekaze

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Endou is M5

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Y/O: Kisenosato/Goeido/Hakuhou
K/S: Onosho/Tamawashi/Mitakeumi
M1-M5: Endou/Tochinoshin/Ichinojo
M6-10:Ikioi/Aminishiki/Terunofuji
M11+: Ishiura/Abi/Kotoyuki

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Y/O: Hakuho / Kakuryu / Kisenosato
S/K: Mitakeumi / Onosho / Tamawashi
M1-5: Yoshikaze / Shodai / Endo
M6-10: Kaisei / Shohozan / Terunofuji
M11+: Kagayaki / Ryuden / Abi

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

Endou is M5

Poop. Prob won't make a difference - I don't think there'll be a run on Takarafuji!

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Y/O: Hakuho / Takayasu / Kisenosato
S/K: Onosho / Takakeisho / Tamawashi
M1-5: Yoshikaze / Kotoshogiku / Ichinojo
M6-10: Chiyoshoma / Chiyomaru / Shohozan
M11+: Daishomaru / Daieisho /Takekaze

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Okay everybody, Hatsu starts in two days. I need rosters from the following people:

Fluffdaddy
Robviously
Tsaedje
Vargatron
Pvt. Public
ratmosphere

Don't stress over getting it perfect, just choose some large men who you think will be better than the other large men. I'm gonna put together the spreadsheet tonight, so get me your choices ASAP so I can do the draft and fill in your wrestlers.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Kenning posted:

Okay everybody, Hatsu starts in two days. I need rosters from the following people:

Fluffdaddy
Robviously
Tsaedje
Vargatron
Pvt. Public
ratmosphere

Don't stress over getting it perfect, just choose some large men who you think will be better than the other large men. I'm gonna put together the spreadsheet tonight, so get me your choices ASAP so I can do the draft and fill in your wrestlers.

mines literally four posts up

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Whoops, sorry! Added your roster.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Y/O: Hakuho / Kisenosato / Takayasu
S/K: Tamawashi / Mitakeumi / Takakeisho
M1-5: Yoshikaze / Tochinoshin / Shodai
M6-10: Terunofuji / Kaisei / Shohozan
M11+: Sokokurai / Yutakayama / Nishikigi

Sorry I've been real sick the last couple of days

ratmosphere
Oct 31, 2017

Sorry for posting late, and thank you again to those organizing this. I've been excited, happy new years y'all.

Y/O
1. Hakuho 2. Goeido 3. Takayasu

K/S
1. Takekeisho 2. Tamawashi 3. Mitakeumi

M1-5
1. Okinoumi 2. Hokutofuji 3. Ichinojo

M6-10
1. Ikioi 2. Aminishiki 3. Kaisei

M11+
1. Sokokurai 2. Nishkigi 3. Kagayaki

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Okay everybody, I'm doing the draft. Here's the wire to start:

ratmosphere
Fryhtaning
Tsaedje
nyerf
Elissimpark
Martytoof
Kenning
Rigel
Fluffdaddy
sivad

The following people didn't get a roster in:

Pvt. Public
Robviously
Vargatron

If you three still wanna play I'll let you count the wins from day 1. It's always a mess on the dohyo on day 1 anyway. No kinboshi though. Everyone else, I'll post your teams as soon as I'm done with the draft.

edit: It's gonna be 3 per san'yaku, 2 per maegashira for the draft. If the other guys jump in they'll be be drafted according to those limits.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 14, 2018

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Okay, here are the heyas. I ended up not adjusting the wire after resolving conflicts, because the draft snaked between rank sets. After Hatsu we'll have to figure out if snaking is better, or if we should just apply the wire as though it were normal trading. Anyway:

Elissimpark

Y/O: Kakuryu
S/K: Tamawashi
M1-5: Hokutofuji
M6-10: Takarafuji
M10+: Abi

Fluffdaddy

Y/O: Kisenosato
S/K: Onosho
M1-5: Endo
M6-10: Ikioi
M10+: Ishiura

Fryhtaning

Y/O: Kisenosato
M1-5: Shodai
M6-10: Tochiozan
M10+: Sokokurai

Kenning

Y/O: Takayasu
S/K: Takakeisho
M1-5: Hokutofuji
M6-10: Kaisei
M10+: Abi

Martytoof

M1-5: Endo
M6-10: Tochiozan
M10+: Takakaze

nyerf

Y/O: Hakuho
M1-5: Yoshikaze
M6-10: Ikioi
M10+: Ishiura

ratmosphere

S/K: Takakeisho
M1-5: Okinoumi
M6-10: Aminishiki
M10+: Sokokurai

Rigel

Y/O: Kakuryu
S/K: Mitakeumi
M1-5: Shodai
M6-10: Kaisei
M10+: Kagayaki

sivad

M1-5: Kotoshogiku
M6-10: Chiyoshoma
M10+: Daishomaru

Tsaedje

S/K: Mitakeumi
M1-5: Yoshikaze
M6-10: Terunofuji
M10+: Yutakayama

Day 1 is currently going on, so I'll have day 1 numbers tomorrow.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Day 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Paq8-Cn8zg

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Good draft full of guys I like. Thanks! Not going to spoil day one for myself until I have a chance to watch tonight but I'm pumped!

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
What's the gyoji suspension story that Kintamayama mentioned at the start of the video? I didn?t see anything lop up here about it.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It did get mentioned a couple pages back. He got drunk and groped a guy

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

He specifically groped and kissed a junior gyoji who was helping him back to his hotel room after he got hammered. The junior gyoji declined to file a criminal complaint, but the NSK suspended him through Natsu. He also submitted his resignation, but they set it aside and will probably accept it after his suspension. He's basically done in sumo.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Its a lovely situation, but I half suspect that there are some high-ups in the Kyokai who are somewhat relieved that he's resigning.

The top gyoji job, Kimura Shonosuke, has been empty for nearly two years now - partly because Shikimori Inosuke had a run of reversed decisions a year or so back (mostly bad luck, because if memory serves me, they were all very close calls), partly because it seems Inosuke may have been problematic before this scandal with his drinking and partly because Inosuke is younger than Shikimori Kandayu by a year or two, who is next in line after him. Seniority plays a large part in gyoji promotions apparently, and I think they were trying to figure out how to let Kandayu get some of that sweet, sweet Kimura Shonosuke action before he retired.

Inosuke retiring takes away that headache and the whole seniority promotion thing is pretty clear through the upper gyoji ranks.

Of course, Kandayu then goes and has a decision reversed on Day One during a Yokozuna match, as someone, somewhere reaches for the Mylanta again.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Rough first day for the upper half of my stable, especially since Kise still looks like he has forgotten how to win

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Ishiura looks a little bit fatter since the last time he was in the top division. Did it put on a little more weight to try to hang with the bigger guys?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It does look like Ishiura has a bit more mass on him than when we saw him back in Aki. Really good set of sumo today! After Aki and Kyushu I'm enjoying a good start and looking forward to what look like some excellent bouts up and down the banzuke.

Day 1 results!

code:
Elissimpark	2
Fluffdaddy	2
Fryhtaning	1
Kenning		3
Martytoof	4
nyerf		3
ratmosphere	2
Rigel		4
sivad		3
Tsaedje		2

Kenning fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 15, 2018

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Elissimpark posted:

Its a lovely situation, but I half suspect that there are some high-ups in the Kyokai who are somewhat relieved that he's resigning.

The top gyoji job, Kimura Shonosuke, has been empty for nearly two years now - partly because Shikimori Inosuke had a run of reversed decisions a year or so back (mostly bad luck, because if memory serves me, they were all very close calls), partly because it seems Inosuke may have been problematic before this scandal with his drinking and partly because Inosuke is younger than Shikimori Kandayu by a year or two, who is next in line after him. Seniority plays a large part in gyoji promotions apparently, and I think they were trying to figure out how to let Kandayu get some of that sweet, sweet Kimura Shonosuke action before he retired.

Inosuke retiring takes away that headache and the whole seniority promotion thing is pretty clear through the upper gyoji ranks.

Of course, Kandayu then goes and has a decision reversed on Day One during a Yokozuna match, as someone, somewhere reaches for the Mylanta again.

They just need to promote Kimura Konousuke, or at least a recording of him shouting at people to put their loving hands on the dohyo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

stabbington posted:

They just need to promote Kimura Konousuke, or at least a recording of him shouting at people to put their loving hands on the dohyo.

Have you been reading Sumo Forum? There seems to be a lot of Kimura Konosuke love going around at the moment.

Like, he's good and all, but he'd like the poor man's Kimura Yodo.

I actually like them both - they're both Kokonoe, so I think they have similar styles. They're both pretty stern, which I like.

#YOLDO