Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

I cooked some steak for my wife yesterday; salt-and-pepper, butter on the skillet, 3 minutes to a side, very basic. She liked it, and she asked to have the same thing for lunch again today ... "except if you could do the same thing, but with chicken"

That's ... sort of a vague statement, sure, but what could I possibly try?

Pan fry some boneless skinless chicken thighs. Just make sure they're cooked all the way through.

DasNeonLicht posted:

I love all kinds of chicken thigh recipes, but I could eat pan-fried thigh fillets with just salt and pepper for the rest of my life and be perfectly happy — one of life's simplest pleasures, in my opinion.

Chicken breast is fussier to pan fry, but I believe it can be done well. I am not the man to tell you how, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

DasNeonLicht posted:

I enjoy a good dive bar dinner from time to time, and I've definitely noticed this — I thought it was because of poor preparation or something.

Does brining or tenderizing help?

In my experience, nothing will help a chicken breast that's woody. It's ruined from the get-go.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

The Midniter posted:

In my experience, nothing will help a chicken breast that's woody. It's ruined from the get-go.

Maybe if you put it in a food processor and make it into a paste for nuggets? It's not a great solution but if it produces something edible it's better than having to toss them out.

I wonder if this is why I have been avoiding breasts for a while and just using thighs for everything.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Woody breast affects like 10% of chicken to start with, then they look for it in the process and pull it out, so the incidence is even lower. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/woody-breast-could-bite-the-chicken-business/

If your chicken breasts usually suck, it's not because of woody breast.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DasNeonLicht posted:

Pan fry some boneless skinless chicken thighs. Just make sure they're cooked all the way through.

Chicken breast is fussier to pan fry, but I believe it can be done well. I am not the man to tell you how, though.

I've had decent success with slicing some of the larger ones in half (along the vertical axis) and then pounding them out as flat as possible then just doing any type of dredge / flour / breadcrumb coating that you want to fry stuff. Personally I like pounding them flat then letting them cure in lemon juice while heavily salted then rinse lightly and toss in dredge of equal parts egg and yellow mustard then in flour seasoned with salt, cayenne and black pepper and pan frying in ~1/4" of peanut oil.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I cooked some steak for my wife yesterday; salt-and-pepper, butter on the skillet, 3 minutes to a side, very basic. She liked it, and she asked to have the same thing for lunch again today ... "except if you could do the same thing, but with chicken"

Skin-on chicken breast and do a simple pan sauce?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Jyrraeth posted:

Does anyone keep a list of wishlist recipes? Where you don't really want to make one anytime soon, but eventually? I'm trying to think of a way to actually make the recipes from all the youtube channels I watch, instead of just making something plain and simple every week because I forgot to pick up cumin or something.

Also I want to start working though Ottolenghi's Plenty More that I found for free in my apartment, but I keep forgetting to... just look at it before going to the grocery store.

I use a google doc but you could also use EYB bookmarks so they're searchable by ingredient

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

Woody breast affects like 10% of chicken to start with, then they look for it in the process and pull it out, so the incidence is even lower. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/woody-breast-could-bite-the-chicken-business/

I've had it disgustingly often and it's not me loving up when cooking. I sv big batches of chicken breasts to shred and freeze when they're on sale and I've had way too many woody boobs to bother anymore.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's ... sort of a vague statement, sure, but what could I possibly try? "Chicken fried steak" is kind of the opposite of that, because the meat is supposed to be chicken. I'm thinking it's probably some kind of chicken fillet, any ideas?

She probably just wants a simple sauteed chicken breast. Slice or pound into a consistent thickness (about 5/8-3/4"), salt & pepper, little oil, med-high heat. Flip every minute or so. When you can pick it up with tongs and it's flexible like a piece of rubber, remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes. I don't mean the texture is rubbery, I mean the meat is still flexible. It will continue cooking for a minute after you remove it from the pan so you want it just a whisker from done. If you pick it up with tongs and it doesn't droop, you've overcooked it and it will be dry and rubbery (in texture). A perfectly cooked chicken breast will be tender, juicy and delicious.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Anne Whateley posted:

I'd say that I've had 3-5 woody breasts out of the last 3 or four bags of chicken breasts I've bought. The bags have about 6 breasts each. Also was eating Popeyes with the missus the other day and we each got one woody tender. The texture and sensation of biting into the meat is completely unmistakable now that I've read about it. I had never once experienced this phenomenon before a year or so ago. All of these bags were store brand from the same store and I bought them on deep discount. I've bought (significantly more expensive, not store brand) loose chicken titties during the same time period and none have been woody.

There was actually a post a few months back in this thread from some goon complaining that some of his chicken was coming out like rubber bands and everyone told him to pound flat, cook for a shorter time, sous vide, etc.

moller fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 13, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My new love is cumin, I hope you all support our relationship in these trying times, please and thank you.

I've got some pork shoulder (I think it's shoulder, anyway) in the freezer and some generic pink and red beans in the cupboard. Any ideas on how to prepare them together? I was thinking of pork and beans with a rice side, but the last time I tried to make pork and beans, they ended up blending together into this weird mess because I didn't understand the effects of quick release on my Instant Pot. :downs: Any other suggestions for what to do with pork shoulder and beans would be super appreciated too!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
have you guys thought of just like...

Putting a meat thermometer in your chicken and taking it out 10 degrees early, then letting it rest for a few minutes?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Has anybody found anything like Weber "flavorizer bars" for suspending kabobs over a grill? I don't want to get the official Weber bars because of price and the V-shape. I was hoping to find some that are T-shaped. I don't want to get a frame because that's a pain in the rear end to store. I also like being able to adjust the width because I have a lot of grill real estate to use.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pollyanna posted:

My new love is cumin, I hope you all support our relationship in these trying times, please and thank you.

I've got some pork shoulder (I think it's shoulder, anyway) in the freezer and some generic pink and red beans in the cupboard. Any ideas on how to prepare them together? I was thinking of pork and beans with a rice side
Do a mexican-spiced pulled pork (onion, jalapeno, garlic, cumin, mexican oregano, a little chili powder, salt, pepper, a little brown sugar) and then do red beans and rice on the side, and make burritos out of it. I have that in the oven now.

What's the weight limit of most oven racks? I have two dutch ovens in there right now, and it's bending a bit. Worried about hearing 'ca-chunk clunk sploosh' and then a pot of chili and a pot of pulled pork burning all over.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Put them on the bottom of the oven.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Or put one rack on the bottom slot and the other 2nd-from top (it looks like there should be room).

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Anyone know what spices are in Lowry's seasoned salt besides the ones listed in the ingredients? What exactly can be put under the heading "spices" according to the FDA?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Anyone know what spices are in Lowry's seasoned salt besides the ones listed in the ingredients? What exactly can be put under the heading "spices" according to the FDA?

I've made a pretty convincing imitation with garlic, onion, salt, sugar, celery seed (high on this), sweet paprika, white pepper, MSG, and cayenne. I don't know if you're going to be able to find actual data on what's in the official recipe, but you can get a similar flavor profile at least. I just skimmed a bunch of copycat recipes and made my own.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Googled answer:
http://www.astaspice.org/government-relations-advocacy/complying-with-u-s-policy-regulations/definitions/

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

They're calling herbs spices :ssj:

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 15, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bob Morales posted:

What's the weight limit of most oven racks? I have two dutch ovens in there right now, and it's bending a bit. Worried about hearing 'ca-chunk clunk sploosh' and then a pot of chili and a pot of pulled pork burning all over.

1. Double up both the wire racks. I can get both mine in there if I'm careful.

2. Keep the Dutch oven near the sides, not near the center.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Trying to plan breakfast meals are loving hard when you can't eat eggs.

My wife is trying to find a nice meal that is easy to prep before hand for breakfasts. She's looking for something high protein, low carbs, low sugar, and with no eggs. Sweet things make her gag in the mornings, and all the other stuff we've thought of takes time to make in the mornings. So we're trying to figure out something that would be easy to prep either the night before or on the weekends. Any suggestions?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mordiceius posted:

My wife is trying to find a nice meal that is easy to prep before hand for breakfasts. She's looking for something high protein, low carbs, low sugar, and with no eggs. Sweet things make her gag in the mornings, and all the other stuff we've thought of takes time to make in the mornings. So we're trying to figure out something that would be easy to prep either the night before or on the weekends. Any suggestions?

How's she on just eating a bowl of meat? Most easy breakfast staples I can think of need either eggs or carbs.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mordiceius posted:

It'd be easier to abandon the idea that you have to eat breakfast foods at breakfast and just eat some kind of salad with meat at that point. Or maybe something lentil-based.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I just had some vegan salmon sashimi that was surprisingly fishlike. Similar texture, juicy even, and I'm really curious how this is made. Anyone know?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

You don't actually need to cook it, but why not just have plain yogurt and fruit? There's also this Icelandic stuff called Skyr, which is similar to yogurt, only higher in protein and lower in fat. Skyr is also less sour than yoghurt is.

I know fruit is kind of sweet, but when mixed with yoghurt the sweetness of something like a strawberry or raspberry will be barely detectable.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Mordiceius posted:

Plain-flavored yogurt, Greek yogurt, or kefir? I like kefir because you can just shake it and pour it into a glass.

Edit: Meusli and yogurt can be a bit like spackle in terms of consistency, but there is a mountain climber's breakfast. The rolled grains will add some carbs, but whole grains have a low glycemic value and add fiber.

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 15, 2018

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
You could also put nuts and/or seeds into the yogurt. They're high in protein, relatively low is carbs. High in fat though.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

A lot of the time when I'm lazy I'll just eat hummus or plain whole milk yogurt with veggies for my first meal.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Casu Marzu posted:

A lot of the time when I'm lazy I'll just eat hummus or plain whole milk yogurt with veggies for my first meal.

which is the exact opposite of what the poster asked for. but tbf I was gonna say the exact same thing, my go-to breakfast these days is hummus, wholemeal pitta bread, some olives stuffed with garlic and some sundried tomatoes. but that's hella high in carbs.

you could cook sausages the night before, refrigerate, and then eat them cold the morning after, with some raw veggies? or veggies you steamed the night before? can't imagine it'd be that nice for breakfast, cold sausage and veg ain't pleasant.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Mordiceius posted:

Tofu scrambles are the tits if you season them well. Not 0 carbs but decently low. Flexible as all get-out too.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I just had some vegan salmon sashimi that was surprisingly fishlike. Similar texture, juicy even, and I'm really curious how this is made. Anyone know?

What color was it? Like porange salmon color, or red?

I've never tried to make it, but people make vegan sashimi/sushi out of watermelon of all things. I guess you could use a golden type watermelon to get something that looks more like salmon. Maybe there's some other orange fruits that could do it?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I need to make a breakfast dish with octopus where presentation was the entire goal, so I went to my local Korean grocery store to look for octopus. I didn't realize at the time, but I accidentally bought frozen octopus that was already boiled.

Is this going to affect cooking it in a pan? I was probably going to just cook some eggs and potatoes and poo poo and wrap the seared octopus tentacle around it (each one is about a foot long). I would just go back and get the right thing but this was already forty loving dollars so I want to make it work.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is it possible to get an electric skillet without non-stick coating?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Mordiceius posted:

She sounds like me from before I learned to love the egg (I still can't do eggs sometimes in the morning without a lot of cheese).

My go to was uhhhh, I called it a "farmer's breakfast" or "ploughman's breakfast" but google is telling me I made it up. But I'd take farmer's sausage/kovbassa/smoked sausage, cheese and optionally crackers/bread/etc. Some crispbreads are pretty low carb, dunno if she's going for like, keto low, or just one slice of whole wheat bread low. Its just chopping the stuff up, so its very quick.

Alternatively, there's bacon/breakfast sausage/fried kovbassa + sauteed veggies. For a while when I lived with my parents and got up with my dad, he'd fry up a mess of bacon and sliced bell peppers and onion. Can always prep everything and microwave it the next day, mind the greasyness... my dad wouldn't drain the fat off the bacon so you'd have to kind of tilt your plate to drain it. (he stopped after a while of feeling gross)

I would also eat a poo poo tonne of pate on (crisp)bread and freak out my classmates who thought it was weirdly coloured jam, so that's an option. You can put pate on veggies but I never really liked it as much as a slice of rye bread.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I eat unsweetened Greek yogurt with a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter mixed in for breakfast most mornings. It's loving delicious, although I'm not sure how low you're aiming on the low carb scale. I agree with other posters, your options are pretty much precooked meats of some kind or giving up on breakfast food and eating something less breakfast like.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jyrraeth posted:

She sounds like me from before I learned to love the egg (I still can't do eggs sometimes in the morning without a lot of cheese).

It's not that she doesn't love eggs (actually, she loving loves eggs a ton), it's that as of a couple years ago, eggs started making her terrible ill every time she ate them. She wants to eat eggs for breakfast, but it is that she can't without being sick.

legendof posted:

I agree with other posters, your options are pretty much precooked meats of some kind or giving up on breakfast food and eating something less breakfast like.

Yeah, that's basically what I figured as well. It's hard because I'm just trying to find a solution for her when she wakes up in the morning thinking "I want breakfast food, but I can't have eggs or anything sweet." It seems like the only breakfasts foods that exist either have eggs or are high in carbs and sweet. She's not trying to do no carbs, she's just trying to reduce her carb intake in general.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Mordiceius posted:

It's not that she doesn't love eggs (actually, she loving loves eggs a ton), it's that as of a couple years ago, eggs started making her terrible ill every time she ate them. She wants to eat eggs for breakfast, but it is that she can't without being sick.

That sucks :(
I was just a baby about eating them previously so I don't really compare

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah. It’s hard because she hates any tastes of sweetness in the morning.

Yogurt - too sweet
Berries - too sweet
Peanut butter - too sweet.

She grew up in the south eating fried chicken in the morning, so that’s generally what she craves. Too bad it’s not healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. It’s hard because she hates any tastes of sweetness in the morning.

Yogurt - too sweet
Berries - too sweet
Peanut butter - too sweet.

She grew up in the south eating fried chicken in the morning, so that’s generally what she craves. Too bad it’s not healthy.

My new answer to your original question is - Fried Chicken.