Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

HypnoCabbage posted:

According to USA Today, you're both going to be disappointed; Arnett is playing Slade.

Oh my god that's the most insane fan theory homage I could imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm okay with that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah that sounds p. great

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've been watching Tiny Toon Adventures on Hulu

Elmyra was the worst cartoon character ever made before they used her to ruin Pinky & the Brain

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TFRazorsaw posted:

I've been watching Tiny Toon Adventures on Hulu

Elmyra was the worst cartoon character ever made before they used her to ruin Pinky & the Brain

The thing is her concept isn't a bad one, the issue comes down to three things; 1) her godawful voice, 2) how infantile they wrote her(she's supposed to be the same age as most of the rest of the cast but they wrote her like a kindergartener), and 3) despite almost always being in an antagonist role she rarely ever got any comeuppance for her actions

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They should have treated her like Darla Dimple in Cats Don't Dance, honestly.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

drrockso20 posted:

The thing is her concept isn't a bad one, the issue comes down to three things; 1) her godawful voice,
That's a Cree Summers job right?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I never put together the fact that Elmyra was supposed to be Little Elmer Fudd until someone pointed it out to me last year.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Funky Valentine posted:

I never put together the fact that Elmyra was supposed to be Little Elmer Fudd until someone pointed it out to me last year.

How can you miss that? Like everyone has an analogue-- Montana Max/Yosemete Sam being the biggest difference.

It's kind of funny how The Looney Tunes Show then wrapped around and borrowed some of the characterization for their show, too.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I liked the gag on Cow and Chicken where Weasel was filming something and he complained that the script just had his name scribbled over the word Buster, which in turn was scribbled over the word Bugs. I do seem to recall that as a kid I immediately noticed that one episode I saw was straight up a character-swapped Looney Tunes episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded of how Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was basically just Sonic as Bugs Bunny. (with a touch of Road Runner) Still probably a better characterisation direction than they ended up with.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Miraculous creator Thomas Astruc is getting annoyed with people who think he's not working hard enough on finishing new episodes. :haw:

https://twitter.com/thomas_astruc/status/951573606206668806

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ugh. One of the most annoying things about TTG is that the series is clearly capable of much more sophisticated humor, but it always falls back on low brow schlock like fart jokes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

Ugh. One of the most annoying things about TTG is that the series is clearly capable of much more sophisticated humor, but it always falls back on low brow schlock like fart jokes.

Fart Jokes are easy to both write and animate and are popular with kids, there's a reason they very quickly became a stock joke once it became culturally acceptable to use them

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
God, those Dan Hipp backgrounds are gorgeous. The only downside to seeing it in theaters will be not being able to pause to appreciate every single background joke.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Not quite a show but did anyone ever see the 70s Chuck Jones movie The Phantom Tollbooth? I thought it was overall good although Milo's singing voice was atrocious. I particularly enjoyed the Doldrums, and the war between King Azaz and the Mathematician. The Terrible Tedium was an interesting monster as well, he ensnares you with addictively mindless tasks that are hard to break away from once begun, like moving a pile of sand one grain at a time from one spot to another with a pair of tweezers. He's almost a human skinner box, there's just no reward.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FilthyImp posted:

How can you miss that? Like everyone has an analogue-- Montana Max/Yosemete Sam being the biggest difference.

I actually somehow never caught onto that either, mostly because her character doesn't resemble Elmer at all and is more like a terrible version of Hugo the abominable snowman.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's supposed to be an opposite thing. Elmer Fudd is a hunter who never really succeeds at harming animals, and Elmyra loves animals to the point of nearly killing them.

Also Fudd and Duff are backwardsish.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Her last name is Duff? Never knew that either.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

raditts posted:

I actually somehow never caught onto that either, mostly because her character doesn't resemble Elmer at all and is more like a terrible version of Hugo the abominable snowman.
It's all in the giant head and cutesy version of Fuddtwawk.

When I was a kid I was sure she was bald, because that little mouse skull in the middle of her bow would be a perfect pull-point for a wig.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

CN, I appreciate the break from TTG with this Gumball marathon, but why does it have to be almost exclusively season 1 episodes?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Speaking of Tiny Toons, that show had some of the biggest discrepancies in animation between episodes. You'd have episodes like the one where Buster and crew go to Wackyland for the first time, and the Summer Vacation mini-series which had excellent animation (probably some of the best the 90s had to offer for a T.V. show). But then you had ones that were total crap like the episode with the Wolverine and the one about the cartoonist creating Buster and Babs. These episodes had that weird style where everyone was made of jello and kept making these bizarre, needless bouncy movements even when the characters on-screen were just simply talking. And what's even crazier to me is the guy who was responsible for that animation style got tons of work on other animated series (most notable probably being a Pup Named Scooby Doo). Was there like a drat animator shortage or something back then?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A ton of shows from that era got bounced around between animation companies basically at random.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

Speaking of Tiny Toons, that show had some of the biggest discrepancies in animation between episodes. You'd have episodes like the one where Buster and crew go to Wackyland for the first time, and the Summer Vacation mini-series which had excellent animation (probably some of the best the 90s had to offer for a T.V. show). But then you had ones that were total crap like the episode with the Wolverine and the one about the cartoonist creating Buster and Babs. These episodes had that weird style where everyone was made of jello and kept making these bizarre, needless bouncy movements even when the characters on-screen were just simply talking. And what's even crazier to me is the guy who was responsible for that animation style got tons of work on other animated series (most notable probably being a Pup Named Scooby Doo). Was there like a drat animator shortage or something back then?

That's because Tiny Toons had like 8 different animation studios involved with it

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, I know there's different studios working on different episodes, but that would explain why they looked different, not why they looked bad, and WB was fine with it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When I look back at Tiny Toons lately, a lot of the visual style weirds me out. In addition to the way in which the 90s were the peak of cartoon surrealism, all the characters are based on exaggerations of the stylistic changes that had been happening to the Looney Tunes over the last few decades as the characters got more abstract and lost much of their resemblance to both humans and animals. They all have this incredibly wide cheek-orb and very harshly slanting heads that make their foreheads nearly nonexistent. There's a bunch of abstracted homages to the styles of people who were no longer associated with the company, like how all the characters have some iteration of Chuck Jones's --u-- mouth

Combine that with the further levels of abstraction by animation studios or storyboard artists, and everything gets very weird.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mr Interweb posted:

Yeah, I know there's different studios working on different episodes, but that would explain why they looked different, not why they looked bad, and WB was fine with it.

Some animation studios are bad.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

SlothfulCobra posted:

When I look back at Tiny Toons lately, a lot of the visual style weirds me out. In addition to the way in which the 90s were the peak of cartoon surrealism, all the characters are based on exaggerations of the stylistic changes that had been happening to the Looney Tunes over the last few decades as the characters got more abstract and lost much of their resemblance to both humans and animals. They all have this incredibly wide cheek-orb and very harshly slanting heads that make their foreheads nearly nonexistent. There's a bunch of abstracted homages to the styles of people who were no longer associated with the company, like how all the characters have some iteration of Chuck Jones's --u-- mouth

Combine that with the further levels of abstraction by animation studios or storyboard artists, and everything gets very weird.

I do remember occasionally wondering why all the characters had such wide cheeks, because it was their most caricatured feature and there was a "long ears, big feet, orb-like cheeks, only one of these doesn't belong on a rabbit" line of thought that was kind of confusing

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
For what it's worth, I think the Squishy Bouncy Jello style worked in favor of aPNS-D.

Mr Interweb posted:

Sometimes you bite the bullet and give an episode over to the guys that can get it done on time, even if it looks like the characters are animated linguini.

Like, what's WB supposed to do? Have the better animation company redo the lovely episode?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mr Interweb posted:

You don't understand why different animation studios would turn out different quality animation? :raise:
WB was fine with it because it was a show that came on every weekday, and they were probably concerned more with quantity than quality.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Electric Phantasm posted:

Some animation studios are bad.

It baffles me to this day how long Klasky-Csupo managed to stay in business.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Well Rugrats was inexplicably popular and made the studio popular for a while, the style worked for Duckman and Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, and Wild Thornberries was pretty decently written.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
In hindsight, the early Simpsons episodes done by Klasky-Csupo now look as weird and grotesque as the couch gag animated by John Kricfalusi.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Payndz posted:

In hindsight, the early Simpsons episodes done by Klasky-Csupo now look as weird and grotesque as the couch gag animated by John Kricfalusi.

And if you think the first two seasons were bad, just look at the shorts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOG1d-wyQAQ

It is frankly incredible that the show took off like it did.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Well Rugrats was inexplicably popular and made the studio popular for a while, the style worked for Duckman and Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, and Wild Thornberries was pretty decently written.

I mean in terms of K-C being some of the ugliest professional animation I've seen in my life.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

It baffles me to this day how long Klasky-Csupo managed to stay in business.

They more or less pioneered the production pipeline that every animated sitcom would use from then on. Like when The Simpsons started the writers had no idea how animation worked and would do things like have the animators make extra footage so they could edit it down later or make changes to scenes after they had been animated until Csupo finally sat them down and was like "this poo poo isn't working, here's what you're doing wrong and what you need to do".

The 90s really was just the wild west in terms of making animated shows that weren't phoned in garbage to sell toys and it's a wonder any of it is still watchable these days, much less actually good.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Tiny Toon Adventures suffers from being a series. It doesn't have the beautiful animation of the LT shorts and on rewatch you can really, really see where the shortcuts were taken to lean out the budget.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's easy to see the seams on a lot of shows looking back, since animation is expensive. They all have their own shortcuts, cheats and other budget-saving methods. It's also noticeable how formulaic everything was back then; 22 minutes, episodic and wrapped up neatly, compared to the relative flexibility that a lot of currently running shows have.

K-C I feel kinda fit the grungy caricature theme that was popular in the 90s with ugly, characterful designs and movements, it certainly made for a distinctive look. Not everyone needs to be smooth and pretty. Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy had a similar caricatured, 'ugly' design for everyone and it's still fondly remembered.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Acebuckeye13 posted:

And if you think the first two seasons were bad, just look at the shorts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOG1d-wyQAQ

It is frankly incredible that the show took off like it did.

It almost didn't take off, because the animation for "Some Enchanted Evening" came back so bad, they almost canceled it all.

But they were able to push it back and get the Christmas episode ready to go, and the rest is history.

They really did mangle that episode though. You can find the work print on YouTube, with commentary. It's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

How Simpsons ever took off given how it started is honestly one of the greatest mysteries of life. The show was honestly pretty awful in nearly every aspect in its first season (and second too, mostly).