Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So does the toe thumb guy have tons of trouble with scanners that require a thumbprint, or would they actually accept the toe print?

I am of course assuming this was done to both hands and there is not another thumb available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Zil posted:

So does the toe thumb guy have tons of trouble with scanners that require a thumbprint, or would they actually accept the toe print?

I am of course assuming this was done to both hands and there is not another thumb available.

I would assume toes have unique prints too, so as long as the initial scan was taken of the replacement thumb it might actually work.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Flesh silo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slime posted:

I would assume toes have unique prints too, so as long as the initial scan was taken of the replacement thumb it might actually work.

They do. Infants are often IDed off of footprints because their hands are so small they don't print well.

All bets are off once calluses start forming, though.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

They do. Infants are often IDed off of footprints because their hands are so small they don't print well.

Kids these days are getting dragged down to the station and fingertoeprinted younger and younger I swear.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/biniambiz/status/952296557264609280

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I want a computer to tell me I look like a penis but I can't even find the option to take a selfie in the app. Maybe it's one of those region restricted things.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It’s the “front of the camera” region

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Millennial American Squirrel

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

im pooping! posted:

personal shields are good against fast moving objects but not slower moving objects like knives and swords, probably laser swords included if a different, unrelated franchise is any indication

lol wut

Impressive fight reaction from this lady god drat. Frosty nearly got knocked out cold.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

in DUNE, they have personal shields, that are highly effective against projectile weapons and explosions but you can get a sword or dagger through them without much trouble.

I think it was just a writing decision based on the intersections of the questions "why would any of these dudes give a poo poo about sword or knife fighting when there is insane space technology?" and "how do I get a dramatic knife fight with the entire galactic empire on the line into the climax of my book?"

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm not knowledgeable about military stuff so this might have been bullshit someone told me and I stupidly believed in, but don't some ballistic vests work similarly? They're somewhat good at stopping bullets, which have round edges, but not as good at stopping knives, which have sharp edges?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Memento posted:

in DUNE, they have personal shields, that are highly effective against projectile weapons and explosions but you can get a sword or dagger through them without much trouble.

I think it was just a writing decision based on the intersections of the questions "why would any of these dudes give a poo poo about sword or knife fighting when there is insane space technology?" and "how do I get a dramatic knife fight with the entire galactic empire on the line into the climax of my book?"

IIRC the shields would still stop a weapon swung too quickly, so you had to slooowly stab your opponent.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I meant like a lightsaber shield in starwars not a Holtzman shield

Who What Now posted:

IIRC the shields would still stop a weapon swung too quickly, so you had to slooowly stab your opponent.

Yeah it would be like that nazi stabbing scene from SPR. Brutal af

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Samuringa posted:

I'm not knowledgeable about military stuff so this might have been bullshit someone told me and I stupidly believed in, but don't some ballistic vests work similarly? They're somewhat good at stopping bullets, which have round edges, but not as good at stopping knives, which have sharp edges?

Sharp edges? Nah man, they're smooth like sharks.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

They should've just invented slow bullets. :shrug:

e: Something good against dune shields and ballistic vests

Hamshot has a new favorite as of 04:35 on Jan 15, 2018

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Hamshot posted:

That'd be just somebody throwing a handful of bullets at somebody.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hamshot posted:

Grenade-on-a-stick with a contact fuse. Push it into them, the shield contains the blast, then you just hose out the area afterwards.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

TontoCorazon posted:

The ultimate Bene Gesserit combat technique?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Hamshot posted:

e: Something good against dune shields and ballistic vests

Why is that man wearing an oversized Egon head?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jamesman posted:

Why is that man wearing an oversized Egon head?

You just need to add up the head and body from the dude on the top and the dude on the bottom and average them, and you get two regular sized people.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

They also put anti-theft alarms like retail stores use on the babies in the hospital so you can't swipe them easily (the alarms also lockdown the doors).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

TontoCorazon posted:

It worked for Charlie Sheen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aqopEQr7wI&t=39s

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

RatHat posted:

It worked for Charlie Sheen

Not sure that should be a measure of the effectiveness of anything, to be honest

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

quote:

OH MAN! But what if the sword you shoot EXPLODES? And then turns into three smaller swords. . . WHICH THEN EXPLODE!? It would be like a SWORDSPLOSION! :torgue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hogZEkHXZzw

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Oh also shooting a personal shield with a laser would cause a release of energy equivalent to an atomic bomb.

Great technology!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh also shooting a personal shield with a laser would cause a release of energy equivalent to an atomic bomb.

Great technology!

The more I think about it, the more Dune is basically a giant set of massive reverse justifications that were then wrapped in just enough psychadelic glitter to not be noticed under all the tripping.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

poo poo. Do not gently caress with @wendys. On the hand, lol. On the other hand, I am pretty sure this is how we get to Snow Crash.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Somfin posted:

The more I think about it, the more Dune is basically a giant set of massive reverse justifications that were then wrapped in just enough psychadelic glitter to not be noticed under all the tripping.

IE, an excuse to have Lawrence of Arabia in space with giant worms.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Don't forget the Jewish mysticism!

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

poo poo. Do not gently caress with @wendys. On the hand, lol. On the other hand, I am pretty sure this is how we get to Snow Crash.

You know who can gently caress with @wendys?

Da mutha fuckin' share z0ne

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/833758560899117057?lang=en

AtomD has a new favorite as of 10:09 on Jan 15, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fister Roboto posted:

Great technology!

Some of the old Star Wars lore had a pretty good reason for personal shields not being a thing; You CAN have a personal shield, so long as you don't mind standing in your own personal bubble of lethal radiation. But everyone outside it would be fine at least.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Some of the old Star Wars lore had a pretty good reason for personal shields not being a thing; You CAN have a personal shield, so long as you don't mind standing in your own personal bubble of lethal radiation. But everyone outside it would be fine at least.

*makes a droid CQC expert with such a shield*

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zanzibar Ham posted:

*makes a droid CQC expert with such a shield*

They've already got droids with shields
https://i.imgur.com/wif1pZi.gifv

They needed minor bad guys who would make the Jedi run away because the plot required it at one point so they created those things for the prequel movies and then conveniently forgot about them in almost every other situation

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Somfin posted:

The hand waving amount Dune does is remarkable. Like the whole bit about how the galaxy tried androids a couple thousand years back which resulted in the bots taking over for a handful of centuries so they don't use them anymore.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They've already got droids with shields
https://i.imgur.com/wif1pZi.gifv

They needed minor bad guys who would make the Jedi run away because the plot required it at one point so they created those things for the prequel movies and then conveniently forgot about them in almost every other situation

I remember reading up the fluff on those. Presumably they're hella expensive and don't stand up well to anything heavier than a sidearm.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Choco1980 posted:

The hand waving amount Dune does is remarkable. Like the whole bit about how the galaxy tried androids a couple thousand years back which resulted in the bots taking over for a handful of centuries so they don't use them anymore.

That war (the Butlerian Jihad) is why they don't use computers for anything, and train people to do complex math and poo poo in their heads instead. It's also why the Space Guild exists, and another reason why the Spice is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Inescapable Duck posted:

....so awesome?