Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So I've been learning to run that tails of equestria thing and one of the new playable races introduced in the bestiary book is a buffalo. That's all fine and dandy, but buffalo are only given 2 talents at level 1, Stampede and Thick Hide, which in and of itself isn't a problem.

except Stampede isn't listed anywhere in the core rulebook or the bestiary. It is a talent that doesn't exist and has no rules for how it works and has no equivalent talent that it might've had its name changed to. There is no Stampede.

To run this dumb pony game and know how to let people create a Buffalo character I have to contact the publisher just to figure this poo poo out lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Can't you just house rule it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Yeah, but it's still pretty funny that something like that managed to pass through. It'd be like if a dungeons & dragons game gave the dwarves a racial ability involving rushing headfirst at stuff but never actually defined what that talent was.

I'm lucky that nobody I've pressed into playing wanted to try out buffalo though. I guess the writers didn't want to make any buffalo characters either or they'd have caught the error :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is The Escapists or its sequel any fun

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah, but it's still pretty funny that something like that managed to pass through. It'd be like if a dungeons & dragons game gave the dwarves a racial ability involving rushing headfirst at stuff but never actually defined what that talent was.

Glaring errors like that are not particularly uncommon in d&d either

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Long form games critic on youtube.

Want 2 hours on why mario is not actually fun? He's your guy

long form games critique on youtube is always bad imo.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm lucky that nobody I've pressed into playing wanted to try out buffalo though. I guess the writers didn't want to make any buffalo characters either or they'd have caught the error :v:
its more common than you'd think, I never got the impression that p&p rpgs are rigorously playtested at least in the sense like someone has worked every single page of the book into a game. core mechanics sure, but even D&D ends up with lots of stuff that makes no sense or is just hosed up until they go back and issue errata

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Grapplejack posted:

the_fat_controller_laughed,_you_are_wrong.jpg

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

I haven't seen this Mario one, and while it could be bad Anderson's previous ones seemed solid to me, and I generally don't like YouTube reviews.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

its more common than you'd think, I never got the impression that p&p rpgs are rigorously playtested at least in the sense like someone has worked every single page of the book into a game. core mechanics sure, but even D&D ends up with lots of stuff that makes no sense or is just hosed up until they go back and issue errata

D&D (and Pathfinder) are rigorously playtested. The developers just ignore the results of said playtesting.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

Fair enough. I can't find any errata for this publisher, this is just the first time I've tried GMing something where I have to actually read through a book and read the rules so it was funny that something so major as a new race not being playable managed to slip through :v:

CJacobs I'm totally going to press you into playing this, unless you don't want to, which is fine and perfectly understandable and I'm not a very good 1 man press gang.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Grapplejack posted:

There are a few long-form analysis videos that I really like, but most channels in the category either just praise or nitpick instead of actually following through on a thesis. As if what you decided would really make IGN reviews worthwhile was if they were all 30 minutes long.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It shouldn't take two hours to critique a video game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's just difficult to pull off a proper long-form critique in any medium so most people that attempt it fail but the idea in itself is good. It doesn't help that many people who try doing it in gaming do so for the wrong reasons - they want to sound smart instead of having actually something interesting to say about a game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ometeotl posted:

Why not?

It's bad if it's waffle but spending time providing details, context, and examples for an argument is a good thing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ometeotl posted:

Lots of art critique is longer than the object of critique itself, so really, people should be making 80 hour video game reviews of like, Sonic Mania.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Why not?

It's bad if it's waffle but spending time providing details, context, and examples for an argument is a good thing

There aren't many long-form critiques on youtube that actually go beyond basic surface-level analysis of game mechanics, major themes, and narrative. They exist, but most are just padded out summaries of "some stuff I liked/didn't like." Also video game analysis is still kind of new so many of the people taking a crack at it now are amateurs in the literary sense.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Expect My Mom posted:

I probably think more about Asura's Wrath these days than anyone else on Earth

I'm thinking about it right now.

The game totally owns

I was reading the TVtropes page the other day while listening to the soundtrack like a giant nerd. Been thinking of connecting my 360 again and playing through it since I only did so once when it came out. Never got around to playing the epilogue DLC either despite buying it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

There aren't many long-form critiques on youtube that actually go beyond basic surface-level analysis of game mechanics, major themes, and narrative. They exist, but most are just padded out summaries of "some stuff I liked/didn't like." Also video game analysis is still kind of new so many of the people taking a crack at it now are amateurs in the literary sense.

Sure but it's not going to get better unless people try. The fact that some people actually make it work is a good sign.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The two-hour rambling critiques are all uniformly bad though, which was the original point. The best analysis videos I've seen either take an episodic approach touching upon various areas of the game in shorter segments or convey one succinct thesis over 10-20 minutes. In both cases the creator knew how to edit and not slip into either effusive praise or nitpicky criticism.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
https://www.hardcoregaming101.net is about as good as it gets for game critique though a lot of the stuff is user submitted so you sometimes end up with pretentious stuff like the recent bayonetta series articles. though in my opinion its better to just discuss specific games or genres online with people who know them intimately

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Somebody post some good game critiques to watch, episodic or not.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Here are some long-form analysis videos I've recently enjoyed. I dunno how much you'll get out of these unless you're already familiar with the games so mega-spoilers.

Very good analysis of the competing buildingsroman vs. lynchian psychodrama themes within Life is Strange that culminate in the final episode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19xgdLF5agU

Craig Perko's extremely detailed LP of Life is Strange with some closing summary videos discussing its themes, characters, and dialogue. Click on the link to see the entire channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cprfpDrCfRc

What playing Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is like for someone who actually suffers from psychosis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52flQkqj5gs&t=11s

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Palpek posted:

Somebody post some good game critiques to watch, episodic or not.

Mark Brown's stuff is really good. My favoutites are a video on how games handle detective work (finding clues, interrogating witnesses, putting together theories, etc) and a series on the evolution of dungeons in the Zelda games.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 15, 2018

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am a huge fan of analysis of my favourite forms of media (video games and movies and books).

It is awesome, to me, to learn new ways and themes of looking at things I love. Considering there is so much I love I am always overwhelmed at just how much is out there.

I thank you posters for linking some youtubes because I will devour it all! :D

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/InsaneChronos/status/952580606726213632

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The entertainment industry's wave of men being outed as sex pests and rapists is totally going to swell over into video games and probably include individuals and developers you respect.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The entertainment industry's wave of men being outed as sex pests and rapists is totally going to swell over into video games and probably include individuals and developers you respect.

And David Cage.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
David Cage has always been a sleazy, exploitative director in spirit.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Wow, somebody finally played through Beyond Two Souls and made notes.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

quote:

UPDATE 15TH JANUARY: This article previously translated a passage of a French report to say Guillaume de Fondaumière was accused of "pushing kisses" on staff at parties, but the translation is incorrect, as de Fondaumière himself later pointed out to me. After further consultation we have a more accurate translation. The accusation revolves around the common French greeting of air-kissing when two people meet. Guillaume de Fondaumière is accused of making more contact with his kisses than is considered appropriate.
I mean, as a journalist you could maybe use something better than Google Translate or some poo poo before writing about serious allegations and having the guy himself correct your reading comprehension, that's pretty lousy.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like game lore videos :shobon:

Not like game theory poo poo where it's just stuff pulled whole cloth but stuff where someone can go through and pull together various bits of info to talk about themes and motifs in games that the player might not have otherwise noticed.

Doing that kind of thing on my own for King's Field 1-3 and for the 4 games in the Shadow Hearts series and for the Ys series from Origins to Ark (or for a non-game example, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure) was kinda fun, though I never put together anything other than a rambling mass of text and it was mostly just self-indulgent rambling nonsense.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
vaatividya's continued existence and exorbitant income annoy me

that's my opinion re: lore

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

What do you guys think about Kingdom Come: Deliverance? I think it releases in about a month, but I'm not sure I've even seen it mentioned in this forum. Is there a thread?

Anything from Deep Silver needs ALOT of positive word of mouth before I consider buying it. I haven't really heard much about this.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

vaatividya's continued existence and exorbitant income annoy me

that's my opinion re: lore

I like his stuff but I never kept up with it and from what I can tell, he had troubles with some people just not giving a poo poo about non-dark-souls content so whatever plans he had for bloodborne got ditched.

I don't have much of an issue with him making money off of it since his videos are essentially just story analysis vids mixed with video editing to try to get the most out of it. I know his stuff's not for everyone and can come across as hoity toity but I figure people have done similar things in the past with other forms of media (examining and piecing together a story that is either made up entirely or based on filling in the blanks between a few known facts) and it goes well with the souls director (or whoever it was) that said that they were partly inspired by trying to read fantasy books and not actually being able to read English so they just had to kinda take what little they could read and fill in the blanks.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

The Moon Monster posted:

Anything from Deep Silver needs ALOT of positive word of mouth before I consider buying it. I haven't really heard much about this.

They pushed it a lot via youtube(rs) in the past year. I'm very interested in this game, but it's the kind that you have to wait and see if it's a buggy mess or not.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And David Cage.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I got bored last night and ended up watching that episode of cheers where Rebecca turns the pool room into a tea room and drat, I can't tell if the episode was trying to make me dislike just Sam or if it was trying to make me dislike both Sam and Rebecca, especially with the whole setup being her making a tea room and getting to keep it if she makes 500 bucks off of it, but the tea room doesn't make money until she starts selling someone else's chili there and then when the pressure cooker explodes and damages the room and Sam's sorry, she demands that if he's so sad he should cry right then and there, and when he can't cry, she decides he must not be sad and goes and smashes up his car to make him cry.

Idk. I feel like it was trying to make Rebecca the overall winner but they both just ended up coming across as assholes.

Yeah it's just a tv show but I don't have anything else to talk about right now, sorry, so I'm just thinking about stupid poo poo like this.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Hmm, I'm reading that Kingdom Come is the first game from Vavra's game studio (the creator of Mafia 1). It's been in development for 7 years now and it's supposed to feature non-linear branching storylines and physics-based realistic melee combat. They only got the publishing deal with Deep Silver at the end of 2016. I'm intrigued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

lol if you respect developers

• Locked thread